Looking at NFC wild-card games from a Rams perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Looking at NFC wild-card games from a Rams perspective
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...t-nfc-wild-card-games-from-a-rams-perspective

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The NFC wild-card playoffs are set for Sunday afternoon with the Seattle Seahawks visiting the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers traveling to play the Washington Redskins.

If there's any team in the league familiar with that foursome, it's the St. Louis Rams. The Rams played a whopping five games against those four teams this season, meeting the Vikings, Packers and Redskins once and the Seahawks twice.

Here's how the Rams fared, with some notes on those five contests:

-- The Rams went 2-3 in those games with both victories coming against Seattle. Perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise as the Rams went 4-2 against NFC West opponents this year and 3-7 against teams outside of the division. That's been a common issue in the four years under Jeff Fisher. The Rams play close to .500 ball (11-12-1) against division teams and well under it against the league's seven other divisions (16-24).

--What's interesting about that is I asked one Rams player on Sunday morning to rank the four NFC wild-card teams. His answer: 1. Seahawks 2. Vikings 3. Packers 4. Redskins. The funny thing about that ranking? The Rams beat Seattle and had Minnesota on the ropes but lost by two touchdowns to the "worst" of the four teams on the list. That points to another trend for the Rams under Fisher: a knack for playing up or down to the opponent. Victories over the past four years against the likes of Seattle (multiple times), Arizona (2015), Denver (2014), Indianapolis (2013) and New Orleans (2013) have consistently given Rams fans hope, only to be nullified by losses to the likes of San Francisco (2015), Tennessee (2013), the New York Giants (2014) and Chicago (2015).

-- In those five games, the Rams were outscored 117-95, had a plus-two turnover margin and a minus-4:23 time of possession margin.

-- Of all the losses the Rams suffered this season, perhaps none will sting more than the 19-16 defeat at the hands of the Vikings. That was a game the Rams had many opportunities to put away and couldn't get it done. At the time, the Rams were 4-3 and riding a two-game winning streak. A win would've given them three in a row and who knows where the season would have gone? Instead, the Rams lost by a field goal in overtime and went on a five-game losing spiral that effectively, if not mathematically, eliminated them from the postseason.

-- For Sunday's action, Minnesota hosts Seattle at 1:05 p.m. ET and Green Bay visits Washington at 4:40 p.m. ET. Enjoy the games.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Once this team learns how to play with a killer instinct on offence we will be playoff bound.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
9 games against playoff teams (Including the first 5 games of the season). This should be good practice for next season, that is, if our coaches and players can stay focused and get their crap together.
Seahawks x2
Redskins
Steelers
Cardinals x2
Packers
Vikings
Bengals

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams really did play a tough schedule this season. And they almost beat Pittsburgh, as well as Minnesota in Minny. Skins were like 6-2 at home, so that loss now doesn't look so ridiculous.

The Chicago, Baltimore, and SF losses were what did this team in. It's consistency that they need particularly against the teams they should beat.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The problem is we might not live to see it
Bullshit! I'm gonna live to see this team win a Superbowl, and be consistent contenders in the playoffs.:football:

Or, I'll die, rooting for them.

MountainRam

Rookie
If we had Russel Wilson and Darell Bevell Rams team is same as Seahawks (to a great part)

It is injustice of the nth order that Darrel Bevell is not getting head coaching opportunities. He is being given the Zimmer and Arians treatmet by the good old boys club of NFL.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Rams really did play a tough schedule this season. And they almost beat Pittsburgh, as well as Minnesota in Minny. Skins were like 6-2 at home, so that loss now doesn't look so ridiculous.

The Chicago, Baltimore, and SF losses were what did this team in. It's consistency that they need particularly against the teams they should beat.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
2 of those loses came after Seattle wins. That has to change also

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I hate playing tough schedules. Not because of the W-L column. You have the be able to beat good teams if you want to be Super Bowl calibre. But it is annoying to seemingly every year draft behind 4 teams all with records identical to ours.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate playing tough schedules. Not because of the W-L column. You have the be able to beat good teams if you want to be Super Bowl calibre. But it is annoying to seemingly every year draft behind 4 teams all with records identical to ours.

I hate them because playing very tough teams tends to beat up the team physically - even if the Rams win like in both Seattle games this season. Some of the Rams losing to easier teams is mental let downs - but some of it was that the Rams were battered going into follow up games. I would really like the Rams to get a season where they play a normal number of tough teams for a change - it's been years. I think that would also teach the Rams players that they can have a winning record after all.