Look at these pics of the ball on GZ's kick it's amazing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK well it turns out to be just one because the other one didn't come out for shit. The ball is almost out of the frame of the camera. So blame Zurlein for that.

I've watched this kick from a field level view many times now, and frankly the force with which this ball came off of his foot may be unprecedented for a FG attempt. I've never seen anything like it other than a kickoff from a tee. I've never seen a kick from this distance or even many yards less go this high and this far.

He is standing at about midfield ready to kick the ball. He hits it at the 47. It reaches it's apex well inside the 10 yard line in this video. Or so it appears and I've watched many times.

It passes through the goalposts at the very top, maybe a foot below at worst.

This kick traveled (if my math is right I will defer to @bluecoconuts and @Mackeyser who math and stuff and know parabolas <whuts those?> better than I do) about 85 yards. Or would have if there was no net to catch it.

It went as far as a kickoff that would hit the ground at the very, very back of the end zone or out of it.

20190124_170300.jpg

Usually kicks from this distance that are good glide over near the bottom or a few feet above the crossbar, at most 10-15 feet above it. NEVER at the top of the uprights. EVER. And can you think of one that hit about 2/3 of the way up the net? I can't.

IMO this kick would have been good with Hekker setting the ball down at the Rams 47.

And on that subject GREAT job by Tha Ginga Ninja to set it down nicely after a shaky snap.

The Rams won the game on an incredible kick and a great recovery on the snap.

This is one of the top plays in Rams postseason history. Right there with Proehl's amazing catch as far as I am concerned. I think this kick will be talked about even more.

If anyone can superimpose the Jetsons car sound from the point of the kick on I would be in your debt.

I think it's the perfect sound for this play.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The damn sideline view from NFL.com didn't link.

HEEELLLPPPPPP!!!!!

Rainram

Starter
He certainly blasted it! I’m curious about the actual distance from which it would have been good.

And I can’t kick a ball beyond my driveway. (No blue font needed)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That fg to tie it was incredible.
The fg to win it was special. 57yrds with absolute authority.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 333]Screenshot_20190124-171045 by BatteringRambo posted Jan 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 334]Screenshot_20190124-171051 by BatteringRambo posted Jan 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 335]Screenshot_20190124-171132 by BatteringRambo posted Jan 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM[/GALLERY]

I recorded it in real time then posted to IG right after on Sunday. It's an intense 1 minute.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's the 48yd to tie. Still an amazing kick. The game winner (which I posted a field lever view of in another thread) would have been good from 70+.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Check out the 1:00 minute mark, I agree, it would of been good from 70 yards.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
That's the 48yd to tie. Still an amazing kick. The game winner (which I posted a field lever view of in another thread) would have been good from 70+.
The one to tie was weird. It look liked it broke right and then broke left. I don't now how that is possible in an indoor stadium.

TexasRam

Legend
So we can we can determine how many feet a homerun travelled but can’t use the same technology to determine how many yards a kick traveled?

Where is the a nextgen stats people when you need them?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one to tie was weird. It look liked it broke right and then broke left. I don't now how that is possible in an indoor stadium.
A little bit of deflation is a wonderful thing...~ Tom Brady

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The kick to tie the game was more impressive in my mind, even though the game winning kick was probably the best ever seen in nfl history. Imagine the pressure on Greg to kick it. From 48 yards. If he misses it's game over. The suspense before the kick was too much. Nerves of steel to make both of them.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Both kicks had a crazy right to left draw...almost like how an amazing golfer can shape a shot. GZ is on some next level shit.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Based on eyeballing the trajectory, velocity and draw...

I'd say it was good from between 68-72 yards.

the draw was the right to left break which would reduce the distance a bit. Part of the wobble in the ball that creates that draw affects the trajectory as the ball slows down (which is why in baseball, a heavily curving ball will seem to drop).

Easily good from 68 and potentially up to 72.

Here's the link to the youtube vid I uploaded when @LesBaker and I went to the game in Tampa

At like the 1:08 mark, Legatron hits from 52 yards and the ball goes OVER the uprights...completely.

He kicks it so hard, you actually feel it in your chest like a cannon shot.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was listening to D'Marco Farr on the Between the Horns podcast earlier today. He said he was standing under the goalpost during that kick and said after it went through it hit the next pretty hard and very high for a kick from that distance, whereas kicks from that far out that make it usually just barely clear the crossbar and don't usually even hit the net. GZ really freakin' drilled that kick, and it was the most money kick of his career.