Look at the big brain on Kiper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Experts see sunshine on Rams' horizon

• By Jeff Gordon

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-experts-see-sunshine-on-rams-horizon/article_526bd377-2233-5c27-8fa6-f1175cc88046.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 88046.html</a>

Things are looking up for the Rams. ESPN experts believe they will be one of the NFL’s better teams by the 2016 season, although not one of the juggernauts.

San Francisco, Green Bay and Seattle earned the highest projected power rankings for that season, with Baltimore, New England, Atlanta and the New York Giants next.

As for the Rams, the World-Wide Leader ranked the franchise in a tie for eighth with Indianapolis in its ’16 power rankings.

Here is a sampling of the ESPN’s assessment:

Mike Sando: “(Sam) Bradford logged hard miles in his first couple seasons, but he's actually younger than (Colin) Kaepernick. He should be entering his prime years in 2016. The glass is half full now that the Rams have some young playmakers, and even though Bradford has struggled on third down, he did rank fourth in fourth-quarter Total QBR last season (80.0). He's entering a two-year window to earn a new contract.”

Bill Polian: “Head coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead have begun to craft a team in their image. As you would expect, they concentrated on building a defense last year and improved that group considerably. First-round draft choice Alec Ogletree (if his off-field problems are behind him) should be an immediate contributor. Free-agent pick-up Jake Long must avoid injury and pick up his level of play, and (Jared) Cook must also reach his potential. (Tavon) Austin will be an instant difference-maker in the return game, and likely a contributor on offense.”

Mel Kiper: “Yes, they could have stayed at No. 2 overall and taken Robert Griffin III in 2012, but the deal that sent the No. 2 pick to the Redskins couldn't have possibly turned into a bigger surplus of future picks. It could be argued that by the time the Rams have finished their 2014 draft -- which, thanks to the trade with Washington has them again set to take multiple first-rounders -- no team in the NFL will have a higher overall level of cheap talent on the roster, something that creates a ton of flexibility

In the meantime, though, expect some more growing pains as the legion of young Rams learn what it takes to win at this level. And don't forget that the 49ers and Seahawks aren't going away any time soon.

Kiper is right on the money here. The "window" for the Rams, if Demoff manages the cap well, is going to open IMO next year and stay open for several seasons to come. They could very easily have 8 or 9 starters with pretty small contracts leaving a lot of money for FA's. If Snead continues his draft maneuvering it could be 10-12.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah but ... Griffin. He can, like, run and stuff.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It works in Madden, and we all know that everything that works in Madden works in the NFL. That's why teams go undefeated all the time, nobody punts on 4th down, and onside kicks are so common.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So correct me if I'm wrong but if Kap and Wilson are worth a crap, won't the shecocks and whiners have a lot of money tied up in the QB position by 2016? And if that is the case, they better really hit on their draft picks because their veterans aren't going to want to play for chump change. Meanwhile, our youth movement will be starting to peak. And... if we keep hitting on drafts.... well, you do the math.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
So correct me if I'm wrong but if Kap and Wilson are worth a crap, won't the shecocks and whiners have a lot of money tied up in the QB position by 2016? And if that is the case, they better really hit on their draft picks because their veterans aren't going to want to play for chump change. Meanwhile, our youth movement will be starting to peak. And... if we keep hitting on drafts.... well, you do the math.

No correction required you are pretty well on the mark.

No small part of the ability to spend to acquire talent will be Bradfords second contract. Or actually his renegotiated first with an extension. Demoff has said it can be redone but not until next year. If he ends up with a deal that is easy on the cap for the first few years then the Rams can grab some top tier talent in free agency to add to the guys drafted from the trade. That will go a long way to getting the window open and keeping it open.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:

I'm not sure these guys ever get the big payday. 3-4 more seasons of playing like they do they could be physically on the downhill side and not worth long term guaranteed $$$$. I'm not sure their talents translate to being pocket passers.
I maybe wrong but, I think these QB types will be like RB's, 4 good years and throw them away.

" Not for long" in the NFL.

iced

predicting this far out is hysterical to me... funny how they have the niners so high... cause aj jenkins looks like such a great first round pick :lmao:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
predicting this far out is hysterical to me... funny how they have the niners so high... cause aj jenkins looks like such a great first round pick :lmao:

Yeah. Its the NFL.

No way you can project that far out.