Long 'fell in love' with Rams' mindset

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/it-was-love-at-first-sight-for-long-rams/article_abf59322-75d0-509f-9cc8-23f601623820.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 23820.html</a>

[pd]2260999689001[/pd]

Obviously, the money had to be right. But otherwise, there was a Jerry Maguire-esque flavor to the Rams’ recruitment of Jake Long.

The Rams basically had him at hello.

“I think it was just a sigh of relief once he walked through the doors here and met with Coach (Jeff) Fisher, and Les (Snead) and Kevin (Demoff),” said Jake’s wife Jackie. “It was just kind of like feeling that you’re home. And he hasn’t felt that way for a while.”

Whether inside the walls of Rams Park, or out and about in St. Louis, some Midwest hospitality didn’t hurt, either.

“I love the Midwest,” Jackie said, following her husband’s introductory press conference Thursday. “The people are so friendly. It’s such a different environment. And I love the snow. I put on my boots and my coat and I went out in it. Walked my dog. I loved it. Are you kidding me? It was great.”

The Longs – and their labradoodle Charlie – made the 20-hour drive from south Florida to St. Louis, arriving on Saturday. Yes, Long is now making enough money ($34 million over the next four years) that he could have chartered a jet to St. Louis. But as Jake explained, laughing, “We have a dog. And I wanted to have my truck up here. So we had to drive.”

They woke up Sunday to a blizzard, watching 12 inches worth of snow accumulate in a day’s time. Not exactly balmy Miami.

“Actually, I grew up in Michigan, so I’m used to that type of weather,” Jake said. “My wife grew up in northern Nevada, so she’s used to the snow. We’ve been out of it for a little bit, but it’s like riding a bike. We adapted well in it.”

Apparently Jake adapted well to his new head coach and new football family during his free agent visit here two weeks ago.

“Just really fell in love with their philosophy, their mindset, where this program’s going,” he said. “I fell in love with it the first day.”

What came across from Fisher, Jake said, was a love for the game.

“You can tell that he loves coming into work every single day,” Jake said. “He has fun doing it.”

Despite all those good feelings, it took five days between Long’s arrival and his decision to sign with the Rams. Those five days were a case study in how social media can affect the free agency environment – as well as show how the looser journalistic standards of the Internet can lead to lots of bad information.

For example, Long said he hopped out of an MRI on Wednesday (March 13), to see his phone had been bombarded with congratulatory messages.

“I called my agent and I said, ‘What’s going on? Did we really sign?’ ” Long said. “And he’s like, ‘No. I don’t know where that came from.’ ”

While Long was in the MRI tube a false Internet report circulated stating that he had agreed to terms with the Rams.

“Yes, it’s crazy. All the social media on the Internet,” Long said. “But I just tried to block it all out and not worry about it, not read into it, and just make the decision.”

On Saturday (March 16) came equally false Internet reports that Long – by that time back in Miami – had visited the Dolphins’ facility that day. That was viewed as a sign by many that the Dolphins were back in the running to retain Long.

“Honestly, I don’t know where any of that came from because I don’t even think we left our house that day,” Long said.

There was the mysterious Friday night tweet (March 15) by Demoff – a photo of the Rams’ executive vice president sitting at a restaurant with Long agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, and all three smiling.

What did this mean? Was a deal near?

Not exactly; not yet.

And then there were tweets by Jackie about their stay in St. Louis, each one dissected for hidden meaning by fans and media alike.

When she tweeted about not selling their home in Miami, it was interpreted by some to mean that her husband was returning to the Dolphins.

Nope.

“Of course I want a vacation home in Florida,” Jackie said. “If we’re moving to St. Louis, we want a vacation home on the water.”

There also were tweets from current Dolphins players, former Ram Richie Incognito included, as part of the #bring Jake home movement. Also, there were wry tweets by fans of both teams about Long’s relatively lengthy decision-making process lumped into a #waiting for Jake category.

“Those ones were really funny, too,” Jackie said. “That was random. I wasn’t expecting all those. . . .We loved our life in Miami, and Jake loved the environment and the fans and everything. But we also knew that there was more out there. We’re an adventurous couple, and we were willing to go somewhere else.”

Somewhere else turned out to be St. Louis. Jackie says her husband has been invigorated by the move. And with the truck parked and the dog taking its walks in the Gateway City, Jake says he’s “here for good.”

Long already is doing rehab work with Rams head athletic trainer Reggie Scott. The Rams’ official offseason conditioning program starts April 15, and then it’s on to spring practices, training camp ... and before you know it, games.

Long, who met with quarterback Sam Bradford this week at Rams Park, can’t wait.

“It was all smiles,” Long said of his impromptu get-together with Bradford. “I was excited to meet him; I think he was excited. It’s gonna be fun to get out to work and actually get out to football and make it happen.”

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I KNOW what the Longs meant about "friendly". Hopefully I'm not offending the people on the board that live in Fla. I used to vacation in South Fla but quit because the ambiance wasn't friendly,between the New Yawk snow birds, the punk drug dealer types and language barriers, I just didn't find enough down home to make me feel at home.
I've been to Orlando a bunch of times since and like that area but around 1980 I started vacationing in CO where people don't know a stranger.
Haven't been to or wanted to go to Miami since.

St. L is just a big small town, pretty good place to raise kids (county).

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Fish and Snead have a swagger about them that just exudes confidence and winning. You know prospective FA have to love that. I dont think there is any combination of coach and GM that have that dynamic like Fish and Snead do.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
libertadrocks said:
Fish and Snead have a swagger about them that just exudes confidence and winning. You know prospective FA have to love that. I dont think there is any combination of coach and GM that have that dynamic like Fish and Snead do.
Yeah ,and not to argue ,but NEVER underestimate the fact they sold the Mrs.,
Recruiters sell moms on their schools , if you sell the wife, the "if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy " stuff comes into play.

Just sayin and yeah Sneads great hair I YAm sure din't hurt there :cool:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
I KNOW what the Longs meant about "friendly". Hopefully I'm not offending the people on the board that live in Fla. I used to vacation in South Fla but quit because the ambiance wasn't friendly,between the New Yawk snow birds, the punk drug dealer types and language barriers, I just didn't find enough down home to make me feel at home.
I've been to Orlando a bunch of times since and like that area but around 1980 I started vacationing in CO where people don't know a stranger.
Haven't been to or wanted to go to Miami since.

St. L is just a big small town, pretty good place to raise kids (county).

I was in Miami a couple of months ago and it felt like a different country in some ways.

A lot of spanish and Caribbean influence. Not that there is anything "wrong" with that, but I could characterize it as a good place to visit - but not a place I'd choose to live. (I live in Canada, come on... it's too friggin hot down there!)

St. Louis is an amazingly friendly city. Blue colar. Loyal. Sports town.

[But like everywhere, STL has some rough parts]

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
For an opposite perspective from most on this board, and one the is more similar to the Long's, I live in the FL Keys. I love it here and cannot imagine living somewhere that gets as cold as STL.

Also I have visited STL and love the city (although I've not seen much other than the airport, the Metrolink and the areas around Union Station and the ED).

All that being said, MIA is basically not even part of the US any more. The Cuban influence has far outdistanced anything related to our country. The last time I flew out of MIA I sat next to a gentleman who proclaimed the best thing about Miami was "that it is so close to the United States". Sad but true.

So in spite of my dislike for cold weather and love of the water I can completely understand how someone would choose STL over MIA, particularly if they were interested in raising a family.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BigRamFan said:
For an opposite perspective from most on this board, and one the is more similar to the Long's, I live in the FL Keys. I love it here and cannot imagine living somewhere that gets as cold as STL.

Also I have visited STL and love the city (although I've not seen much other than the airport, the Metrolink and the areas around Union Station and the ED).

All that being said, MIA is basically not even part of the US any more. The Cuban influence has far outdistanced anything related to our country. The last time I flew out of MIA I sat next to a gentleman who proclaimed the best thing about Miami was "that it is so close to the United States". Sad but true.

So in spite of my dislike for cold weather and love of the water I can completely understand how someone would choose STL over MIA, particularly if they were interested in raising a family.
Fair take.

All I know is, after having lived in SE Florida for over 40 years, Miami has the ability to actually get me angry. People are rude, uptight, always in a hurry, traffic sucks, the Cuban population actually has disdain for non-Cubans, and it's way too fucking hot for 10 months of the year.

I'm gone by this time next year and I'll probably never visit again.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Dude said:

And I'll have a nice cold brew and some BBQ waiting for yuh. :peace:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
The Dude said:

And I'll have a nice cold brew and some BBQ waiting for yuh. :peace:
Lookin' forward to it!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW... I realize the shit storm that surrounded some of Jackie Long's tweats. But I have to say that she seems pretty damn grounded to me. Yeah she has millions and now has a vacation home in South Florida instead of her primary residence but I think Jake did well and didn't just shoot for some bimbo.

8645c82bf5467fc169f4fc302734912e.jpeg

bluecoconuts

Legend
My experience with St Louis was working to fight drugs in the area (impossible, so we focused more on getting meth out of schools... Also impossible) and a girlfriend's family that hates me. Needless to say I'm pretty comfortable here in Los Angeles. :lmao:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This Floridian is never gonna leave home. I was forced to live in too many other places as a result of growing up an Army Brat. I love my State,,, don't necessarily love the transplants who do nothing but talk about how much better everything is back in their "home" state.

Miami is a huge metropolitan city. The diversity of cultures there is certainly not for everyone. Just like big cities aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I have a sticker in my garage that says - "If you love NY , take I-95 North".

I'm in Orlando (central to the state),,, most things north of me in FL are just too countryfied for me,,, everything east , west, and south of me are like Zion in my eyes.

All that being said,,, I'm very happy that Jake and Jackie love snow.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Selassie I said:
This Floridian is never gonna leave home. I was forced to live in too many other places as a result of growing up an Army Brat. I love my State,,, don't necessarily love the transplants who do nothing but talk about how much better everything is back in their "home" state.

Miami is a huge metropolitan city. The diversity of cultures there is certainly not for everyone. Just like big cities aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I'm in Orlando (central to the state),,, most things north of me in FL are just too countryfied for me,,, everything east , west, and south of me are like Zion in my eyes.

All that being said,,, I'm very happy that Jake and Jackie love snow.

Love that sticker Haile! I used to own one that said "Teach a New Yorker to drive, point his car north!"

Speaking as a transplant, I can't see ever leaving FL either. MIA is not my cup of tea but there is so much more here than that. Although I did laugh a little when I saw MIA and diversity mentioned in the same sentence. It all seems pretty much the same to me. :sly:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:

Too funny. People in our state used to have bumper stickers that said, "Welcome to Oregon. Now please leave."

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:

Too funny. People in our state used to have bumper stickers that said, "Welcome to Oregon. Now please leave."
My wife had bumper sticker a long time ago that said much the same thing. "Welcome to California. Now go home."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a person who grew up in Florida, I couldn't imagine living in the cold. South Carolina is bad enough. But I grew up in Jacksonville which is North Florida. Then again, Florida doesn't have the same type of hospitality as the other Southern states. And I don't blame anyone for wanting to get out of Miami. Better vacation spot than place to live...feel the same way about Orlando.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:

That's no lie! Talk about disdain, Oregonians hated Californians as there was a huge migration of Cali to Oregon retirement during the 80's Real Estate boom here and the transplants were driving up the Oregon Real Estate prices. And if I'm not mistaken, there wasn't a "prop 13" thing in Oregon at that time and the property taxes increased each year with a new assessment, driven higher by Cali transplants taking the money (bought a home in 1970 for $16,000 and sold it in 1988 for $165,000 for example) and running up to Oregon who still had crazy affordable house prices (hadn't made the huge price jump yet, was behind the curve) before the transplants caused the huge spike in Oregon housing prices.
You know way more than I do about the situation up there, just my observation. I did graduate high school from Eastern Oregon near Ontario in 79, but only lived there about 2 years (Dad wanted a farm, sold house in Cali, moved us there). I got back to So Cal as I was not going to grow potatoes or alfalfa hay for a living, but I did do it all (farm labor) including the rocky mountain oyster removal on cattle and sheep :shock: :boing: . I'm a white collar guy at heart but have great respect for farmers after 2 years in the trenches.

My other favorite Oregon bumper sticker was something like "Try Wiping Your Ass With A Spotted Owl"