Long did the best he could following ankle surgery/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Long did the best he could following ankle surgery
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a28811be-b270-5c1e-9499-7238f274baf5.html

In retrospect, the best move might have been sitting out the rest of 2014 following an ankle injury in the season opener that required surgery. But that’s not Chris Long.

“It was just important to me,” he said. “I’m a captain. You know, I think people look at what you’re gonna do. I felt like if I’m healthy enough where I can’t make it a lot worse, and the surgery is secure and it’s healed, then I’m gonna come back.

“It’s really simple to me. I need this. I don’t like sitting around and watching. My teammates were having so much fun without me, I had to hurry up and get back and get in on the action.”

Long made those last remarks with a smile, but this wasn’t a season to smile about for the longest-tenured Ram. After playing every game in his first six seasons as a Ram, Long answered the bell only six times in 2014.

In the season opener against Minnesota, two tendons supporting his left ankle were torn loose when he got stepped on from behind by a teammate pursuing the play. That ended his ironman streak at 97 games.

Following surgery to reattach the tendons, Long missed the next 10 games. Throw in the bye week, and the veteran defensive end went from Sept. 7 (Minnesota) until Nov. 30 (Oakland) without playing in a game.

Like a fine-tuned race car, you just don’t go from 0-to-60 mph. Not after missing all that time.

“It’s hard,” Long said last week. “But it’s been awesome to just be back. I feel like if I can help, if the coaches feel like I can help, then whatever they need me to do.”

He figures his teammates would do the same in a similar situation.

“And I wouldn’t want to let them down,” Long said.

So after returning from the injured reserve/designated for return list, Long did all he could in the final five games of the season. Including his numbers from the opener prior to the injury, Long finished with 20 tackles and a fumble recovery.

As a pass rusher, his totals were one sack, nine quarterback pressures, and two quarterback hits.

This from someone who had 41 ½ sacks over the previous four seasons, the 10th-highest total in the NFL over that span. Despite a deep and talented defensive line, the Rams missed Long probably more than expected. And it wasn’t vintage Long over the final third of the season.

“I’m not what I want to be,” Long said, entering the finale at Seattle. “I’m not where I was when I started the year. But I’m just happy to be back. My health has improved every week the more rest I get on it. But you’re trying to play games and then rest and rehab. So it’s been an interesting experience.”

Once he started playing again, soreness in the foot was common. Sometimes it came during the week in practice. It was definitely sore after games. At most, he practiced about half the time over the final five weeks.

“Coach (did) a great job of kinda pacing me along, and giving me the rest I needed during the week to get to game day,” Long said. “We just put all our eggs in that basket, and just moved from there.”

It was all designed to get him to game day in decent enough shape to play and contribute. And Long didn’t exactly tip-toe into action once he returned against Oakland.

He was out there for 35 plays against the Raiders, or 49 percent of the total number of defensive plays. The pace picked up in subsequent games. By season’s end, he had averaged 42 plays a game, or just over 60 percent of the defensive plays in those five games after his return.

“Yeah, I got a little over-aggressive with it,” Long said. “We have a plan, but coaches have so much stuff going on during the game, that I can kind of slip it by ’em.”

In other words, Long didn’t always stick to the planned rotation — he’d stay in for some extra plays, unbeknownst to the coaches.

“Yeah, two, three plays here and there. It adds up,” Long said with a slight chuckle.

When the season ended, Long said he was feeling as good as he had since the surgery. But he certainly wasn’t the same player he was in training camp before the injury — when the seventh-year pro looked as quick as ever.

“Yeah, I worked hard to be,” Long said. “I was excited about having the best year of my career. I thought I was gonna have that.”

But things don’t always go as planned.

“It’s been disappointing,” Long said. “It’s a test. Everything happens for a reason.”

It was easier to get up to speed on run defense. But pass-rush wise, it just took a little longer to get back to where he was athletically.

Truth be told, Long says the rehab process on the ankle will continue into February. He doesn’t think he’ll truly be 100 percent until February or March.

For now, it’s time for the Long family to celebrate Christmas ... today.

“My family does Christmas on New Year’s,” Long said.

It’s a concession to the demands of playing in the NFL, where the regular season doesn’t end until after Dec. 25.

This year, neither Chris nor his brother Kyle, a guard with the Chicago Bears, is in the playoffs. “The goal is that we’ll be apart on New Year’s every year,” Chris said.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He looked 100% or close to it at SEA. He struggled to regain form games prior.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was going to throw this out on a new post but I think it fits here. The Giants and Seattle had a lot of success running to the right side. Did they see a weakness in reaction time with Long and Hayes? Both teams had a lot of success turning that corner. I hope it was just Long not being 100% and not a sign of things to come.

I woefully recall the years that teams ran right on us at will not long ago, but the name of the linebacker that was the swinging gate at the time escapes me. It was not good.

Alan

Legend
More of the same old same old. I get and like the fact that Chris is a “I’m a captain. You know, I think people look at what you’re gonna do. I felt like if I’m healthy enough where I can’t make it a lot worse, and the surgery is secure and it’s healed, then I’m gonna come back.

It’s really simple to me. I need this. I don’t like sitting around and watching. My teammates were having so much fun without me, I had to hurry up and get back and get in on the action.” Doesn't mean you play though.

How is this situation any different than the Wells/Joseph situation? Either Fisher is playing these guys because they're vets or because as bad as they played, they were better than the alternative. I don't know which scenario I like worse.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
C Long didn't look the same after missing 10 games - his contribution over the last 5 games was still important. In his absence, there wasn't anyone who stepped up in his place. Long at 75% was still better than Hayes IMO.

FRO

Legend
Chris Long has been a great player for us and a tremendous leader. That being said we should possibly be looking for someone to groom and eventually take his place in the next 2 drafts.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
His contract, like JL's, is cap friendly for the original size. Someone can post details, I'm sure someone knows where to find that info.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow.
I knew Rams fans are extra disgruntled lately but I don't understand why anyone is questioning Longs return.

And as for drafting his replacement soon?
It's a little early to be thinking along those lines.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wow.
I knew Rams fans are extra disgruntled lately but I don't understand why anyone is questioning Longs return.

Drafting a DE makes sense if Hayes and or Sims are let go to save money to retain other starters. Our DE group is very good and very deep. Long doesn't compile a bunch of sack stats so it easy to overlook how much he has grown as a player since he was drafted. He has led the league more than once (I believe) in QB pressures....get that QB moving his feet and uncomfortable can be nearly as effective as a sack.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Wow.

Exactly, it is a little to early to be talking about his replacement. I'm all for drafting another talented DE, however.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
His contract, like JL's, is cap friendly for the original size. Someone can post details, I'm sure someone knows where to find that info.

Chris Long signed a 4 year / $48.20 million contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $6,050,000 signing bonus, $23,550,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $12,050,000.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/chris-long/

I would never call this Chris Long contract cap friendly Les, but I do not live down in SW FL the winters heaven where everything is friendly. What the temps today mid 70's.;) Happy New Year Les.

However I am sure glad the Rams Org. signed him to it & we have him for two more seasons.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Chris Long signed a 4 year / $48.20 million contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $6,050,000 signing bonus, $23,550,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $12,050,000.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/chris-long/

I would never call this Chris Long contract cap friendly Les, but I do not live down in SW FL the winters heaven where everything is friendly. What the temps today mid 70's.;) Happy New Year Les.

However I am sure glad the Rams Org. signed him to it & we have him for two more seasons.

In the 70's today, of course.

I konw it was a large deal but it was front loaded so what does he cost the last two years?

EDIT
Just clicked the link. I thought KD front loaded the deal more than he did, but still as the cap goes up it isn't an awful deal for the Rams and IMO Long is worth that money.

Alan

Legend
badnews not liking the truth:
You need only ask.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was looking at that DE from Wisconsin....Whew!!!! Beast, I had thoughts of JJ Watt dancing in my head....And to the above post, I feel ya, seems like a slow downward spiral, may be time to cut bait....Same with JL55

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 seeing the writing on the wall:
I was looking at that DE from Wisconsin....Whew!!!! Beast, I had thoughts of JJ Watt dancing in my head....And to the above post, I feel ya, seems like a slow downward spiral, may be time to cut bait....Same with JL55
I love Chris and what he brings to the team and on the field. I just think they brought him back too soon. I think he'll be much better next year. Having said that, he's getting up in NFL age and it is time to groom an eventual replacement. I'd wait until next year in the draft unless something falls in our laps though. OL, QB, OL this year for me. If the value is there.

As for JL, I've always thought he's average. I still think that but like Chris, he's also getting long in the tooth and average players often regress a little at his age. That's not good when you're talking about your MLB in a 4-3. So yeah, I agree with you there too.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You need only ask.

No, I guess I phrased my thoughts poorly.
I should have said "I know Chris isn't getting younger or likely better but I see absolutely zero reason to target his spot as one that requires attention right now. We have too many needs and unless we want to spend a premium pick for yet another pass rusher in the next 2 drafts, which I dont, then I see no reason to over analyze Longs performance or his ability to stay healthy."

I should have said all that but I am a lazy poster.

Alan

Legend
badnews thinking I didn't get the point:
No, I guess I phrased my thoughts poorly.

I should have said "I know Chris isn't getting younger or likely better but I see absolutely zero reason to target his spot as one that requires attention right now. We have too many needs and unless we want to spend a premium pick for yet another pass rusher in the next 2 drafts, which I dont, then I see no reason to over analyze Longs performance or his ability to stay healthy"

I should have said all that but I am a lazy poster.
A couple four things here:

I knew what your point was. ;) Also, there's no such thing as a lazy poster. We all do what we can or want to do and it seems to work out well. Your ability to make your point was just fine. I encourage you to address individual posters and start a dialogue with them too. :)

To say "zero reason" is to ignore the degradation in his play when he came back. As I said, it was a mistake IMO to bring him back so early this year but I expect the old Chris back next year. You always have to prepare early to replace a player at a premium position IMO. Especially considering the learning curve on the D-line.

Over analyzing players/coaches as to their abilities is what we do. Feel free to jump in. We have a long long long long long time until even FA starts so brace yourself for what's to come. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wow.

Hayes isn't going anywhere.

Rams DL rocks for 2015.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Over analyzing players/coaches as to their abilities is what we do. Feel free to jump in. We have a long long long long long time until even FA starts so brace yourself for what's to come. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I certainly wouldn't argue with that.

As for Long, I didn't see much separation between him and Hayes in his limited time back but simply having 91 back in rotation had to have a positive impact. Chris certainly wasn't 100%, who is at that point in the season?

Sometimes when people smell for smoke, they convince themselves that somethings burning... but there's no fire here.

...however... it is entirely possible that I am wrong. That happens a lot.