Lombardi: Danny Amendola is St. Louis Rams' best

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Kareem Copeland
Around the League Writer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -rams-best

NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi called Danny Amendola the best player on the St. Louis Rams roster Sunday on "First on the Field." The former NFL personnel executive said the organization immediately should sign the free agent to be to a long-term contract.

"If I were the Rams right now, I'd go after Danny Amendola," Lombardi said. "He's going to be a free agent at the end of the season ... I'd offer him a contract right now because this is the best time to sign him, because he's worried about what is my marketability going to be like ... he's their best player."

Quarterback Sam Bradford and defensive end Chris Long might have some issues with that "best player" evaluation.

Amendola had 32 receptions for 395 yards and two touchdowns in four games before suffering a separated shoulder duringThursday's win over the Arizona Cardinals. He's out for at least six weeks.

Amendola certainly has been Bradford's best receiver option, but the Rams still need a clear-cut No. 1 wideout. The Rams will never get the best out of Bradford without one. Amendola is a Wes Welker type of player who's best working underneath.

The third-year pro has been one of the top receivers in 2012, but the Rams still are the No. 29 passing offense and No. 25 in scoring. Bradford needs more to work with.

Amendola was shown hurling his helmet in the hallway on the way to the locker room after the injury. There couldn't be a worse time to miss a significant amount of time -- a contract year.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't get me wrong. I love Danny. But best on the team is a little strong. I do agree that they need to lock him up but I think this injury actually makes it harder. If he comes back early, he will have still missed the better part of the last two seasons. That doesn't help his negotiations or our ability to offer him what we probably would like to to make sure we can sign him long term.

I really want him on our team but I understand if the negotiations are difficult.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RamFan503 said:
Don't get me wrong. I love Danny. But best on the team is a little strong. I do agree that they need to lock him up but I think this injury actually makes it harder. If he comes back early, he will have still missed the better part of the last two seasons. That doesn't help his negotiations or our ability to offer him what we probably would like to to make sure we can sign him long term.

I really want him on our team but I understand if the negotiations are difficult.
I really like Danny too, but best player on the team is pretty strong. I don't think he's even the second best player on our offense. That being said, I would like him here for the long term. He really is a great slot guy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Only player on the offense playing at sure fire all pro level is what Lombardi should have said or meant.
But we have a few defensive players I'd nominate ahead of Danny as "best player" even though I'm a huge fan.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Thordaddy said:
Only player on the offense playing at sure fire all pro level is what Lombardi should have said or meant.
But we have a few defensive players I'd nominate ahead of Danny as "best player" even though I'm a huge fan.

DIDO from me.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
classicpony said:
Thordaddy said:

DIDO from me.

Lombardi is payed to talk and CAUSE conversation ,I get what he meant and hope we give DA a reasonable payday,I think Snead and Demoff showed they won't get misty eyed and make cap killer dumb decisions when they made the void deal with SJ.

I've always said the WAY AROUND the cap was PAY GREAT COACHES,Kroenke gets that IMO.