Lions sign CJ Anderson to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wize1980

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Wize
This is legit. I think.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cj-anderson-detroit-lions-los-angeles-rams-running-back-deal-230125710.html

C.J. Anderson came out of nowhere to become the Los Angeles Rams’ lead running back on their road to the Super Bowl last season. Now, he’ll reportedly join a somewhat crowded backfield in Detroit.

The six-year veteran agreed to a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions on Monday, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 18px;">

Adam Schefter

✔@AdamSchefter

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1112844399577268224

Former Rams’ RB C.J. Anderson reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions, per source. Chance to produce this season, then hit market again after this season.

6:29 PM - Apr 1, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,086 people are talking about this

C.J. Anderson’s winding road takes him to Detroit
After five years with the Denver Broncos, Anderson signed a one-year deal in free agency with the Carolina Panthers. There, he posted just 104 rushing yards in nine games while Christian McCaffrey dominated the backfield touches.

He was eventually released by the Panthers, then he signed a deal with the Oakland Raiders and was released again. He then signed with the Rams and promptly took off as the team’s top back for the next several weeks while Todd Gurley dealt with a nagging knee injury.

5ca29809230000e801ea0ec2.jpeg

How will C.J. Anderson fit in the Detroit Lions backfield? (Photo by Jordon Kelly/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
In five games played with the Rams between the regular season and playoffs, Anderson posted 488 rushing yards and four touchdowns. Even when Gurley returned, Anderson still saw the majority of touches during the postseason.

While that unexpected performance was exciting for many, it didn’t seem to impress enough to get Anderson a multiple-year contract. Now, the 28-year-old reaches Detroit, where he’ll likely work out of a committee to try and further establish his value.

How does C.J. Anderson fit in with the Lions?

Also in the mix will be receiving back Theo Riddick, though he probably won’t be taking snaps from Anderson, as Riddick only posted 41 rushing yards last year.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Would have picked him over Brown as he offers a different look to the offense when he's on the field.

But good luck to him. Will always be a fan.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would have picked him over Brown as he offers a different look to the offense when he's on the field.

Yeah, me too.

More experience... especially playoff experience and and all-around great presence in the locker room.

I haven't been following football much since the SB, but it surprises me that the Rams would let him go.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, me too.

More experience... especially playoff experience and and all-around great presence in the locker room.

I haven't been following football much since the SB, but it surprises me that the Rams would let him go.

My understanding is that he wanted a legit chance to be the starter - wasn't going to happen with the Rams.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Best of luck to him.
Will follow his season and hope he puts up good numbers.

It was hard to see him and a healthy Gurley sharing snaps.
Gurley, Brown, Kelly. We will be good to go.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best of luck to him.
Will follow his season and hope he puts up good numbers.

It was hard to see him and a healthy Gurley sharing snaps.
Gurley, Brown, Kelly. We will be good to go.

There'll be a fourth - either a draft pick or a UDFA. I doubt they want Justin Davis to be on the roster, at least not without having to win a competition for his spot. He's been injured every season - not what is needed for a backup who isn't actually getting playing time. We'll see how they actually feel about Kelly, who was healthy but played very little.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Funny how that worked. Detroit presses the issue with Brown. That helped them land CJ Anderson. Just wondering the price difference.
Malcom has been a solid Ram RB & special teams guy.I think that played a part of it as well. I really liked CJ’s fit in the offense though.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Brown adds pass-catching element, but sucks to see Anderson go

Which we didn't really need...

We needed a tough runner that can break tackles through piles... A contrast of Gurley and Kelly's game.

Which is how CJA made a name for himself.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some psychological jiu-jitsu on this...

On the one hand, I’m bummed, I really hoped the Rams would resign CJ, since CJ was so solid in place of Gurley.

OTOH, maybe the fact that the Rams DIDN’T invest significant cap dollars in a backup RB means the Rams are confident that Gurley’s knee can hold up for a full season.

So... the failure to sign CJ means good news on Gurley’s knee....?

(Insert “shoulder-shrug-maybe?” emoji)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I also wanted CJ over Brown. When it comes to just running the ball I feel like CJ is a little better than Brown. But the passing game is what makes the Rams engine run and Brown offers more in that area. They better be ready to give Brown more snaps. They need to limit Gurley so he'll be fresher in the playoffs.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Which we didn't really need...

We needed a tough runner that can break tackles through piles... A contrast of Gurley and Kelly's game.

Which is how CJA made a name for himself.

Yea, but Malcolm provided that same THUD! He was no stranger to contact and broken tackles.. How soon we forget what we had in the guy?!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Yea, but Malcolm provided that same THUD! He was no stranger to contact and broken tackles.. How soon we forget what we had in the guy?!

I know plenty of plays where he has looked pedestrian too.

When has Brown been a Top 12 RB like CJA? When has Brown attained his playoff experience?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I know plenty of plays where he has looked pedestrian too.

When has Brown been a Top 12 RB like CJA? When has Brown attained his playoff experience?

lol We've been there two years in a row and he was hurt in our one deep playoff run. He doesn't qualify bc of injury.