Lions fire GM Martin Mayhew & president Tom Lewand

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Detroit Lions, after a 1-7 start, have fired general manager Martin Mayhew and president Tom Lewand, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Thursday.

The changes come less than a week after Mayhew said the franchise would be buyers at the trade deadline and then made no moves in either acquiring or trading players. The Lions also suffered a blowout 45-10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in London on Sunday.

The 50-year-old Mayhew was hired by the Lions on an interim basis after the team fired Matt Millen during the 0-16 season in 2008. After the year, Detroit lifted the interim title and made him GM.

He initially hired Jim Schwartz, who led the Lions to the playoffs in 2011, but fired him following the 2013 season and replaced him with Jim Caldwell.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14059034/detroit-lions-fire-gm-martin-mayhew-president-tom-lewand

WOW! what a mess.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No player they(Detroit) drafted in 2010-2011 is on their roster today.
Lance Kendricks
Robert Quinn
Rodger Saffold
Eugene Sims

As long as we're keeping score...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That team is a mess from top to bottom, it's almost hard to believe they were in the playoffs not too long ago. Just goes to show you how fast bad management can tear a team completely to pieces.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Stole this from reddit comment section.

For reference

rd1. Suh

rd1. Jahvid Best

rd3. Amari Spievey

rd4. Jason Fox

rd7. Willie Young

rd7. Tim Toone

rd1. Fairley

rd2. Titus Young

rd2. Mikel Leshoure

rd5. Doug Hogue

rd7. Johnny Culbreath

No reason for them not to have Fairley on the roster, but man...

We know Suh. Best is out of the league due to injury. Spievey isn't on a roster as far as I know. Fox is on the Phins. Willie Young was a solid player for the rival Bears for a while and is now aged coming off a Achilles injury. Toone was Mr. Irrelevant

Fairley is with the Rams. Titus had mental health issues. Leshoure a pot smoking bust. I don't even know who the hell those other two guys are.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm gonna miss their terrible drafting. Usually made a solid player slide a little further by taking a bum. Eric Ebron? Really? Still baffled by that pick. Hopefully they get a new GM just as terrible. One could hope.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm gonna miss their terrible drafting. Usually made a solid player slide a little further by taking a bum. Eric Ebron? Really? Still baffled by that pick. Hopefully they get a new GM just as terrible. One could hope.

Man, you are ruthless.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Stole this from reddit comment section.

For reference

rd1. Jahvid Best
I feel bad for Jahvid Best. I don't know that he would have turned out to be a good player but it's no fun to see guys careers end so shortly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Funny thing is that I recall quite a few pundits singing the Lions praises immediately after those drafts.:whistle:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Remember when that used to be us? :eek: :shocked: :wtf: :palm: :headexplosion:
Maybe it's just me, but the Rams were never This ^ Bad!! I'll be keeping an eye out for their "Fire-Sale"!!

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I listen to the NFL channel on SirusXM radio on my 2 hours daily commute (hour each way) and when Jim Caldwell was hired they sung his praises day and night and most of the pundits claimed the Lions were primed to make a run at the Packers/SB this year. Wow how that has fallen flat by the mid point of the season. This is a terribly dysfunctional franchise that has and has had a ton of talent. I would say it is as bad as the Rams of the last decade, before the Fisher regime, but their issue isn't a lack of talent but a lack of competent leadership/management. Sad.