Linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Anyone else notice how teams who utilize a power running scheme can just put a TE or FB on Barron and dude completely disappears in the run game?

I'm not putting the blame on what happened today on our linebacker unit, but their lack of size (even Tree) is a glaring weakness when teams decide to run it down our throats. This puts more pressure on our secondary to play the run, and imo, more susceptible to biting on PA.

We need beef in our linebacking corps. Thoughts?

RAMNATION

Rookie
agree 100
Anyone else notice how teams who utilize a power running scheme can just put a TE or FB on Barron and dude completely disappears in the run game?

I'm not putting the blame on what happened today on our linebacker unit, but their lack of size (even Tree) is a glaring weakness when teams decide to run it down our throats. This puts more pressure on our secondary to play the run, and imo, more susceptible to biting on PA.

I agree 100%. we are forcedt o sellout and gamble to stop the power run. If we are consistently perfect we get gashed

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yeah I've thought it all year. I guess we think the payoff is worth it the rest of the time, and looking at the results we can't argue - we've got a really good defense usually.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

This was a game where Josh Forrest would have come in handy. Yes, we do need beef in the LB corps.

Bruce2980

Starter
This was a game where Josh Forrest would have come in handy. Yes, we do need beef in the LB corps.
But that beef come as an expense in the passing game. So do you get two sets of LBs and put one group in on obvious passing plays and the other group in on "obvious power running plays" and hope the offense doesn't know the difference or call an audible?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But that beef come as an expense in the passing game. So do you get two sets of LBs and put one group in on obvious passing plays and the other group in on "obvious power running plays" and hope the offense doesn't know the difference or call an audible?

You have a good point to be sure. Hopefully GWill has an answer (or the next D.C. If there is a change this offseason).

Bruce2980

Starter
You have a good point to be sure. Hopefully GWill has an answer (or the next D.C. If there is a change this offseason).
I do think Forrest's play was missed today, but when I re-watch the game I wonder how many holding calls I'll see that were missed when the Saints had the ball.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

but dont other teams that have traditional linebackers "cope" with this issue ? i mean our line backer corps is thin especially now Forrest is done for the year

sign me up for extra beef

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's true for most Wills. You can count the number of Will LBs on one hand who can shed blocks, cover TEs and HBs, and run sideline to sideline. Barron can do two of the three. That puts him in the class below the elite guys.

If you want to know why we are very inconsistent at defending the run, it's a combination of factors. Our LBs (Ogletree and Barron) make mistakes with their run fits, and our DL isn't always gap sound. We also sometimes get caught out of position because of Williams's aggressiveness.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We also sometimes get caught out of position because of Williams's aggressiveness.
It's always been this way with a Williams "D"! It's a Chess game. He just needs to work his scheme!

ram007

Starter

I thought Gregg Williams invented that dollar linebacker concepts by playing safety there and no one could beat it(according to his own interview to LA times. I thought Arizona Cardinals first did that by putting deone buccanon there)? So you are saying it may not work when faced with a decent offense...hmmm

Bruce2980

Starter
but dont other teams that have traditional linebackers "cope" with this issue ? i mean our line backer corps is thin especially now Forrest is done for the year

sign me up for extra beef
Extra beef may not be the way to go in a very pass happy league, you need LBs that can run, if our d line played their gaps and weren't consistently held, then LBs would be free to run, but when the O-Line gets to the second level, unless the LB is good at getting off blocks, beef won't matter. Although bigger LBs are usually better at getting off of blocks/holds.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Need one more good one....ILB or SLB if Tree is to remain in the middle. I'd also move Barron back to SS....Decide if TJ or MO can really rotate to FS and play it effectively?

Also like to add a real run stuffing DT. I like Easley, but not for this role. I think Cam Thomas is a liability when on the field for more than 10 plays. Dude is in terrible shape.

Ram Pat

Rookie
Extra beef may not be the way to go in a very pass happy league, you need LBs that can run, if our d line played their gaps and weren't consistently held, then LBs would be free to run, but when the O-Line gets to the second level, unless the LB is good at getting off blocks, beef won't matter. Although bigger LBs are usually better at getting off of blocks/holds.
Our DL are mostly rushing the passer every play... run play or screen...every play

Bruce2980

Starter
Our DL are mostly rushing the passer every play... run play or screen...every play
True, but they still have gap responsibility to close down passing and scrambling lanes, but it does expose them, I would guess, to the run a little more with the, "killing of the head mentality."

KOWALSKI

Rookie
ogletree is a will playing mike and that's a problem.
he is awful against the run, can't shred anything.
we already have a will signed long time, how about waving goodbye to alec at draft day?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
ogletree is a will playing mike and that's a problem.
he is awful against the run, can't shred anything.
we already have a will signed long time, how about waving goodbye to alec at draft day?

Alec is not being utilized properly. There is a toxic stench over the Rams right now. I think its not entirely on the players its a lack of willingness to play for the people upstairs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barron is not the player he was last year. Last year Williams admitted he told him to just play and use his instincts. This year he supposedly knew what he was doing, and he's a lesser player.

And there's something else too: Barron is under a fat contract now. Which, IMO, is the truth of the matter. Put him right next to Saffold in the "I got paid now I'm gonna cruise" department. Both those guys played lights out in their contract seasons and tanked after the contract.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Barron is not the player he was last year. Last year Williams admitted he told him to just play and use his instincts. This year he supposedly knew what he was doing, and he's a lesser player.

And there's something else too: Barron is under a fat contract now. Which, IMO, is the truth of the matter. Put him right next to Saffold in the "I got paid now I'm gonna cruise" department. Both those guys played lights out in their contract seasons and tanked after the contract.
I can't agree with that ,barron still looks to be playing at the same speed but I think offenses are sending big blockers and him and tree and they are getting ran over . Doesn't help when it's 3rd and 18 and our DC blitzes everyone to give up a huge play .