Linebacker's speed could help Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1ngfBv3KF

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/54/5540a961-1918-5375-9988-b4e4de7d7d29/4f4c539dcb9de.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]INDIANAPOLIS • In high school, Zach Brown was a Maryland state champion in the 100- and 200-meter dash.

"I was always the biggest sprinter in every race," Brown recalled. "It was like, 'Who is this guy? This big guy in Lane 4?' "

It was Brown. He has grown into a 244-pounder and one of the fastest linebackers in the NFL draft pool this or any other year. Brown wanted to break 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard at the NFL scouting combine, and for a while, it looked like he would come close with unofficial times of 4.45 and 4.44 in two runs Monday. His official time, however, was 4.50 — maybe not what he wanted but still second-fastest among linebackers at this year's combine.

Brown has tried to get bigger over the pre-draft process, and his combine weight is about 10 pounds heavier than his playing weight last season at North Carolina. That may explain his slower-than-expected 40 times, but 4.50 is still faster than most NFL linebackers.

Brown says his speed sets him apart from other draft prospects at linebacker, "because I can run down backs, and guard receivers, tight ends. A lot of linebackers can't do all that."

He can also run down quarterbacks, with 5½ sacks in 2011, but in a National Football League full of tight ends who create matchup headaches, coverage skills are at a premium at the linebacker positions.

"I covered a lot at Carolina," said Brown, who had seven career interceptions in college. "I can cover tight ends like Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Jermichael Finley — all of the others. It just makes your defense so much better."

Graham? Davis? Finley? Really?

"I think I can cover them," Brown said, smiling. "Give me some time."

The Rams' defense as a whole lacks speed, so Brown could be an enticing pick at the top of the second round at outside linebacker. And wouldn't you know it? Even though he's from South Carolina and later moved to Maryland, Brown's favorite team growing up was the Rams.

"I liked the Broncos when I was in middle school, then I switched it up and I liked the St. Louis Rams," Brown said. "Even when they were bad I still liked them. So I'm just a loyal fan until now."

The Rams certainly could use help at the outside linebacker spot. When it was mentioned Friday that the Rams have a building block in middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, general manager Les Snead replied: "We've got some young pillars. (But) at linebacker, it's three of them, so you could easily have more linebackers."

Through most of their time in St. Louis, the Rams have neglected the linebacker position on draft day. In the Rams' past five drafts, second-rounder Laurinaitis was the only linebacker taken earlier than Round 7. And when it comes to outside linebacker, the Rams have selected only three earlier than Round 7 over the past decade:

• Jon Alston of Stanford, taken in Round 3, No. 77 overall, in 2006.

• Brandon Chillar of UCLA, taken in Round 4, No. 130 overall, in 2004.

• Pisa Tinoisamoa of Hawaii, taken in the Round 2, No. 43 overall, in 2003.

Robert Thomas was taken in the first round in 2002, 31st overall, and is the only first-round LB taken since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995. But he played as much middle linebacker as outside linebacker as a Ram.

Several Tar Heels draft prospects in recent years, including Rams defensive end Robert Quinn, were caught up in accepting illegal benefits or illegal associations with agents while at North Carolina. Brown said he came to the combine "trying to show (teams) that I'm not that guy. If they have a bad image of me, I'm not the people who were here last year who were in all that trouble. I wasn't in none of that."

Obviously, the Rams have other potential options at linebacker, including Lavonte David of Nebraska, who also has tried to bulk up during the pre-draft process. Even with the added weight, at 6-1, 233 David is undersized. If he can keep that weight — there was a time he was listed at 210 at Nebraska — David could be an effective run-and-chase player in the NFL.

Miami's Sean Spence is another mighty mite at 5-11, 231. "He makes plays all over the field," said former scout and current draft analyst Russ Lande. "He's a more athletic, more explosive version of Lavonte David."

For teams that don't have a problem with smaller linebackers, David and Spence could be second-round picks, although Spence didn't give scouts and coaches much confidence that he could shed blockers when he posted only 12 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press at the combine.

Nigel Bradham of Florida State (6-2, 241) is raw, but chiseled, and could be a mid-round option. Mychal Kendricks of California was the only linebacker to run a faster 40 time Monday than Brown. Kendricks ran a 4.47 at 5-11, 239 pounds, but he'd be a projection at outside linebacker in the 4-3 scheme, because he has only played inside and only played in a 3-4 in college.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I really hope he's there in the second, but he's mostly why I'd want to trade with the Browns. Have that 22nd pick so we can grab him if we feel he'll be gone when we have the 33rd pick. I think he's going to be a real good LB and his speed can really help elevate JL's game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I really hope he's there in the second, but he's mostly why I'd want to trade with the Browns. Have that 22nd pick so we can grab him if we feel he'll be gone when we have the 33rd pick. I think he's going to be a real good LB and his speed can really help elevate JL's game.
Yeah, I really hope he's on the Rams' radar. This team has been lacking speed for a good while now, and that has to come to an end. We also need someone to cover Vernon Davis for crying out loud.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep. This kid has stud written all over him (it's just in invisible ink). Assuming we trade with the Browns, do we take him or an OT at 22?? I would think we can get a good DT later in the draft as this years crop looks to be one of the deepest in years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Faceplant said:
Yep. This kid has stud written all over him (it's just in invisible ink). Assuming we trade with the Browns, do we take him or an OT at 22?? I would think we can get a good DT later in the draft as this years crop looks to be one of the deepest in years.

Depends who's there...

A team could (will) take Brown or Poe or anyone else earlier than expected leaving some guys to "fall."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think Lavonte David can be had in the top of the 3rd or maybe 4th if Brown is gone in the 2nd. David is undersized but has those "football skills" that can't be coached.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
I think Lavonte David can be had in the top of the 3rd or maybe 4th if Brown is gone in the 2nd. David is undersized but has those "football skills" that can't be coached.

Travis Lewis, out of OU, is another guy that will be a steel.

Last year, had he declared for the draft, he was projected as a top 15 pick. He went back to school, to try and win a NC, and ended up breaking his toe a few weeks before the opener. He came back for a big game, Texas I think, before the toe was 100% and it ended up lingering all year, thus hampering his performance. Analyst have him pegged going early day 3.