Linebacker Depth Chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The opening line of the attached article is the topic I want to hear from ROD about.

The departure of Bobby Wagner, the Los Angeles Rams had three true linebackers—Ernest Jones, Christian Rozeboom, and Jake Hummel—under contract entering the 2023 NFL Draft. The conscription came and went without L.A. adding a single off-ball linebacker.”

But, we signed 5 UDFA’s and they are profiled in the article below.

Bobby Wagner was on the field for 99% of the plays in 2022, while Ernest Jones was at 66%. Moving on from Wagner was likely in part to increase Jones snaps.

What do you think about the rest of our depth chart at Linebacker?

Meeting the Rams UDFAs: L.A.’s new linebackers who went undrafted​

With the abrupt departure of Bobby Wagner, the Los Angeles Rams had three true linebackers—Ernest Jones, Christian Rozeboom, and Jake Hummel—under contract entering the 2023 NFL Draft. The conscription came and went without L.A. adding a single off-ball linebacker.

The Rams made up for it by signing five linebackers as undrafted free agents. With L.A.’s recent history of leaning towards more nickel and dime formations utilizing only one ‘backer on the field, the needs for this unit lean more towards special teams support. Even so, Rozeboom and Hummel both began their Rams careers as UDFAs and have moved up the roster. Let’s take an introductory look at the new second line additions.

Kelechi Anyalebechi - Incarnate Word

Two-time Buck Buchanan finalist as the top FCS defensive player in the nation and twice honored as a third team All-American. Multi-position versatility and coaches have schemed him all over the box, both from 3-point stance and standing. Just want to add this in because it’s kind of interesting, he’s vegan and practices yoga.

Began his Incarnate Word career with two seasons on special teams and in a rotational role the edge. Became a star when he moved to off-ball linebacker. In 48 games and 31 starts, Anyalebechi recorded 285 tackles, 25 for loss, 9.5 sacks, 12 passes defended, and four interceptions. He also forced six fumbles and recovered four others.

His Pro Day supported his on-field production. He measured in at 5’ 11” 230 lbs. with 9 1/2” hands and 31 3/4” arms. He timed a very good forty, 4.62 and 10-yard split, 1.58. In explosion drills he had a nice 38” vertical, 9’ 8” long jump, and pressed 22 on the bench. His 4.39 shuttle was just ok, but 7.01 is a very good 3Cone.

Fiery player who strikes with ferocity, both around the line and out in space. He will need to consistently wrap up as pro, NFL backs and tight ends have the contact balance to bounce off and plow forward. He’s a good pass rusher, nice burst through gaps, uses his low center of gravity and body control to navigate. Generally takes good angles and stays patient when faced with fakes and feints. Plays mostly close to the line of scrimmage, but smoothly drops into zone. Found one man coverage rep on film and he mirrored a tight end down the seam and broke up the pass.

How far he gets into the Rams future depend on his transition up from a lower level of competition. Every thing will come at him faster. Decisions, bigger, stronger linemen, and backs hitting the gaps. He appears to have the physicality and instincts for the pro game, but like most small school players, could use a strength/conditioning program. I’ll root for this prospect, he would bring some attitude to defense or special teams.

View: https://twitter.com/mathbomb/status/1652715832743546882?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

Ryan Smenda - Wake Forest

From a military family, the self-disciplined Smenda is a stockily built hustler and was a three-time state champion high school wrestler. The 23 year-old logged 200 of his 355 total tackles in last two years. Over 56 games, he had 24.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, forced four fumbles, and defended nine passes.

At the Hula Bowl he checked in at 6’ 1” 235 lbs., with 8 1/2” hands and 31 5/8” arms. Had to really dig for his Pro Day testing numbers, best that could be found are 4.68 in the forty, a 9” 2” broad jump, and 23 reps on the bench. On film, he’s not a smooth, gifted athlete, with more of a bull-in-the-china-shop play style.

Smenda is a hard-hitting downhill player. A good form tackler who flows to the ball and wraps up in space. Not afraid to take on bigger blockers in the hole, adequate linear burst to shoot gaps, and get slithery/thin fighting through traffic. Looks like a good pass rusher and is certainly a hard charger on blitz attempts. Kind of clunky when backpedaling into zone coverage, doesn’t get great depth. Reads quarterback eyes and reacts well, but has start/stop and change of direction limitations.

In an interview, Smenda said the Rams want him to play at 240+ lbs. Makes one wonder if they want to see him out on the edge as a pass rusher as well as ILB. It’s only a few pounds, but he already seems a step slow at off ball linebacker. One thing is sure, he has the mindset and attitude for special teams and that may get him an extra long look on defense.

DeAndre Square - Kentucky

Slightly undersized prospect that makes up for his moderate athletic skills with plus football instincts and passionate, non-stop play. Played in an aggressive college defense and seems best suited to downhill action.

Four-year Wildcat starter in 44 of 58 games. Put up 300 tackles, 22.5 for loss, 6.5 sacks, 10 passes defended, and three interceptions over his college career. Missed three games late in 2022 with an ankle injury. Was elected team captain in each of his final three years.

While there is no question of his heart or effort, his athleticism is only adequate. At the Kentucky Pro Day he scaled in at 6’ 226 lbs., with 10” hands and 33” arms. He clocked a ho-hum 4.77 forty, 7.26 3Cone, and 4.38 shuttle in speed and short area agility testing. In the explosion drills hopped a 9’ 2” long jump, a 32” vertical and repped 23 on the bench.

Quick to trigger downhill and pursue the ball and takes good angles. With his size, he can be clamped down and/or washed out by bigger blockers. He does do a good job of sifting through larger traffic around the line of scrimmage, ducking under, bouncing off, and leveraging his length. Pursuit is relentless and his strength, length, form make him a solid tackler. In zone pass coverage, Square moves smoothly in space, gets good drop depth, and hustles to cover his flat responsibilities. Turning and running with pass catchers is not a strong suit. He is a good tackler in space.

The kind of UDFA the Rams love. He is a hustler, has coach-on-the field smarts, and projects as a special teams warrior. Just a real good complementary football player. With the Rams leaning more towards one linebacker formations, to get extra defensive backs on the field, It is very hard to project Square into a defensive role.

Jaiden Woodbey - Boston College

Woodbey was a five-star recruit out of high who excelled in football and track. He originally signed with Florida State over many top schools. In his sophomore year, he suffered a horrific knee injury, tearing his ACL, MCL, meniscus, and posteromedial capsule. Over his three years in Talahassee, he recorded 105 tackles and 11 passes broken up. He earned his degree and became a graduate transfer to Boston College and spent his final two seasons on Chestnut Hill.

In 24 games at BC, he sheeted 131 tackles, 5.5 for loss, two interceptions, and seven passes defended. His primary role was at box safety. Most of his passes defended where knockdowns on blitzes, rather than coverage. In both seasons, he was honorable mention All-ACC.

Solidly built and proportioned at 6’ 1” 231 lbs., with 9 3/4” hands, 32 1/4” arms and 80” wingspan. The knee injury maybe the cause for his substandard 4.84 forty, but he kept his quick feet and short area agility. He scored 6.97 3Cone and 4.14 shuttle. In his explosion testing he leapt a 35” vertical and a 9’ 6” broad. He pushed 20 reps on the bench.

Woodbey has the ball, read/react, and change of direction skill to play in zone coverage, but will struggle in man. He’s a good form tackler, has a physical nature, and strong enough to take on blockers. Listed as a college safety, his poor long speed makes him a possible liability the farther he gets away from the line of scrimmage.

He fits the safety/ linebacker hybrid role, or an overhang defender. He has the lateral agility to play in the second line, but his lack of speed makes him a long shot. In his favor, he has history of special teams play.

View: https://twitter.com/veniesoares/status/1656483820621926400?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

Matthew Jester - Princeton

Jester is a little different than the others, he lines up primarily outside as an edge. He did run a few reps from the middle, but was a fixture spread wide. Big, strong, fast prospect likely drafted for his athletic upside. Played in a rotation over college career and was not a regular starter.

He showed very well at his Pro Day measuring in at 6’ 3” 252 lbs. with 9 3/8” hands and 31” arms. His speed testing stood out, 4..66 in the forty with a fine 1.60 10-yard split. In the agility and short area quickness he timed a 7.44 3Cone and 4.24 shuttle. He put up 27 reps at the bench, a 37.5 vertical, and 10’ 1” broad in the explosion category.

As one would expect, there’s not a lot of film on Jester, or Princeton for that matter. He has good burst both off the snap and in pursuit. He is very raw with technique, wins by being a better athlete than the player across from him. Sometimes he used a little outside feint and counter inside, but the cupboard seems bare for other moves. His arms are a little short and he doesn’t really hand fight or stack and shed. He is a hustler and has tackle power.

His coach points out his leadership, work ethic, physicality and work in the weight room is contagious. Real long shot to stick, but a typical Rams UDFA, high football IQ, total hustler, and “we, not me” player.

Roster thoughts?

All these prospects share qualities. They are all high-effort, instinctual, physical, and can rush the quarterback. They are all a step slow, also.

With the logjam at edge/OLB, Matthew Jester seems like a camp body unless the Rams have a plan for him. Sure, a guy his size running down the field covering/blocking on kicks would be fierce, but there is not a lot on film to project him as being ready to add any other value.

Jaiden Woodbey is an L.A. kid and has that five-star pedigree. So many top schools wanted him, he has to have innate talent, but holy moly, that forty time is hard to get over. If the NFL stage is not too big, maybe he can supplement special teams with rotation work in jumbo or big nickel formations to help out in run support in the box.

Lacking in size and athleticism, Square would seem odd man out. But, he was a tough character in the SEC. That toughness and his pursuit ability could get him on the field. A teammate you can count on to man up his responsibilities and is simply a good football player never goes out of style.

If Ryan Smenda could channel ex-Ram Troy Reeder, there’s a lane as a thumping two-down “Mike”. His ability to blitz and willingness to bang heads with blockers would be a nice complement in the Rams bend-but-don’t-break style. Top wrestlers have that built in win-or- die attitude.

The wildcard in this group is Kelechi Anyalebechi. He has a lot of plus traits and now it’s about seeing how they hold up against NFL competition. His versatility is key, if can stand up to pro size, strength, and speed, being a moveable defensive piece would enhance his special teams core.

At this early stage, I like Smenda to crack the opening 53, although I’ll also be watching out for Anyalebechi. Both have the requisite size, aggressive nature, and are good tacklers.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Gonna be interesting to see if McVay and company can put some former backups, mid - low round draft picks, and UDFA's around a 32 year old Aaron Donald and create a quality defense.

If they can, it will sure open up attractive options for McVay and company on how to spend the serious free agent money down the road. (Wanna bet it's on QB, WR corp and LT?).

I have doubts about this approach but, I'm not the Super Bowl winning coach with the regular playoff appearances.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
It’s only a guess but Woodbey was probably carrying an injury, as it’s hard to believe he played safety if he is OL slow

They have him listed at 4.65 in 2022 which seems more likely

He could be a sleeper as he has lots of intangibles especially vs the run and in coverage where he reads the game well

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
As evidenced at the shrine game practices

“If you’re looking for the linebackers with the best movement skills in Vegas, I’d direct you to North Carolina State’s Drake Thomas and Boston College’s Jaiden Woodbey”

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
High priority FA type who Steelers and Pats were following.

He was expecting to run a 4.50 so something went wrong, perhaps as he was adding weight to play LB

Most definitely a player that would likely been drafted otherwise and one to keep an eye on as he could shine

Talks about his character and leadership, short area quickness, flexibility and how impressed Patriots staff were with him at the shrine game on the radio blog

jjab360

Legend
For whatever reason, the Rams under McVay just don't seem to give a crap about the ILB position. Wagner last year was an outlier.

There's a good chance we see an UDFA rookie starting at this position. It's a little exciting because you might get a surprise like Cory Littleton but also a bit concerning because our run defense is likely to suffer especially when you look at the lack of size we have on the DL right now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Screen-Shot-2022-06-17-at-7.31.45-PM-1024x661.png

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
All of the above players appear more as practice squad types at best, perhaps if one breaks through as a special teams demon he'll make the grade for a wider role, although my limited knowledge of them is hampered by a lack of deeper information. Based on what I've read, Kalechi Anyalebechi has everything it takes physically, but the big concern seems to revolve around whether he can make the transition from a Pop Warner small school college program to the mean streets of the NFL. This is the UDFA ILB I'll be rooting for in camp/pre-season games, still I suspect this is one of a few positions the Rams will be looking to improve upon during the camp cuts & waiver wire period.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I'm just happy that we have infused a group of young talented ILBs and I believe we're going to keep a lot of these guys in some form whether on the roster or the practice squad. There's a great opportunity here for Smenda, Kelechi, Woodbey and Square. There's actually a decent chance a couple of them can fill out the #2 and #3 IlB spot on the roster. A lot of projections I'm seeing have Rozenboom starting next to Jones...to me it's more based on him being the "veteran" of the group. But let's ask ourselves when and where Rozenboom has shown good enough to be a starter? He's played decent in the preseason...he's been decent on special teams (although him muffing an onside kick in Arizona sticks out because it almost cost us a big win) ..... but what has Rozenboom actually shown that proves he can fill the role?

At this point, I think that Smenda, Square, Kelechi and Hummel should be in serious competition with Rozenboom for that #2 ILB. Woodbey I'd say would be a practice squad player right now unless he really shines in training camp...that 4.8 40 time concerns me, and he's changing positions.

Our #2 ILB is going to need to be able to step up as a #1 guy if Jones goes down so we need to make sure the guy earns the spot based on ability and not just because he's the only veteran. We have a history of developing low drafted or undrafted ILBs into guys who contributed for us.....Kiser, Reeder and Howard. I's argue the group of UDFA we have now are more talented and have more upside than they did...and Kiser started on the #1 defense in the NFL and an undrafted Reeder contributed big as a Rookie.

I'm excited about this position group.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I favor Woodbey above the others but that injury was serious and the Rams just let Howard move on. Replace injury prone Howard with a possible chronic knee like Gurley or Allen?

At this point I think the guys that were on the roster already take the second LBer spot.

I’m not all that excited about Ernest Jones. He is an upgrade over Troy Reeder but he hasn’t had any impressive games where he stood out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I favor Woodbey above the others but that injury was serious and the Rams just let Howard move on. Replace injury prone Howard with a possible chronic knee like Gurley or Allen?

At this point I think the guys that were on the roster already take the second LBer spot.

I’m not all that excited about Ernest Jones. He is an upgrade over Troy Reeder but he hasn’t had any impressive games where he stood out.

The Super Bowl where he singlehanded stopped a fourth down conversion with a PBU, had a sack and over ten tackles wasn’t enough?

Ram65

Legend
He fits the safety/ linebacker hybrid role, or an overhang defender. He has the lateral agility to play in the second line, but his lack of speed makes him a long shot. In his favor, he has history of special teams play.
Woodley could get that spot. The Rams may not stay with two LBers after 1st down. He has to show up on S Teams too.

All are hard worker players lacking some athletic ability. Fighting for S Teams chances.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Count me as one not excited about Ernest Jones, too. I just don't see what the must Rams see in him. Hope he proves me wrong.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Jones was a rock star early in camp his first year running the D with no comms, sideline to sideline, interceptions. He had to be learning from Wagner but it might have slowed him last year. No concerns from him.

This list looks like filler to try hitting on teams more than looking for a starter or even rotational guy.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1) crappy opening paragraph for this article. That always makes me cringe and suspect of the article. Just me.
2) only eternal optimism can make an article about UDFA LBs interesting. I don’t see anything but ST possibilities—at least for their first season.
3) our defense overall, looks like it’s gonna be small. We are gonna have a tough time the first 2 games.
4) EJones has flashed and was impressive, but not without warts, his rookie season. Last year it was wagner’s party—Jones hopefully learned a few things. This is the year Jones needs to step up and play like the defensive captain we will need.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kalechi Anyalebechi looks to be around the same size as London Fletcher. Hopefully he plays like him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If you watched him much last season he didn’t make a lot of plays. I hope he returns to his first year form.

He was a man without a position in some ways last year. Wagner took the meaningful snaps and he wasn't even on the field at times. Returning to MLB will be great for him. This defense is meant to have 1 off the ball linebacker on the field most times. Square pegs and round holes last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am very hopeful with Jones, and I like his willingness and desire to be a leader on this defense. But to be a leader at this level you must be a good player first. So he's at that stage right now where he needs to prove himself out there.