Lindenwood's Andrew Helmick Turning Heads W/ Rams (101ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Earning a regular-season NFL roster spot, even after a prestigious NCAA Division I career, is a rare and remarkable feat. Making a successful jump from the NCAA Division II level, though, is an even more daunting and difficult task. Nonetheless, that is exactly what Kansas City native and former Lindenwood University standout Andrew Helmick is trying to do – and expecting to do – with the St. Louis Rams.

If successful, Helmick would join a proud collection of Division II alumni who have successfully transitioned to the NFL. It is a group spearheaded by NFL Hall of Famers Walter Payton, Shannon Sharpe, John Randle, Darrell Green and John Stallworth. On a more local and current level, Helmick would join D-II products like Missouri Western State’s Greg Zuerlein and Abilene Christian’s Daryl Richardson as regular-season Rams.

If he makes it, Helmick has fellow wide receivers Austin Pettis and Chris Givens to thank – at least in part.

(Hope you guys enjoy this. Thanks so much for all the support):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/07/29/lindenwoods-helmick-turning-heads-at-rams-camp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/07/29/lin ... rams-camp/</a>

Slappy967

Starter
Re: Lindenwood's Andrew Helmick Turning Heads W/ Rams (101ES

Man do I love this guys attitude! He shows up each day puts on his hard hat and goes to work and thats the kind of player I think Fisher wants suiting up for him. Like the article says though it is very early in the process so hopefully he comes back from his hamstring tweak and resumes his solid play and locks down a spot on the team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

He needs to get a good share of luck staying healthy. Helmick is not gonna get protected like the drafted guys, so he will get the dirty work all through camp. That usually increases the chances that he ends up getting stashed on IR for next year.

I like him a lot though. Really pulling for him to be the 6th guy. The kid is showing a lot of heart so far.

nighttrain

Legend

He would be my choice as our 6th receiver. + he has the burst to return KO's
\train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Thanks Shane! That's m'dark horse right there. Killer attitude he has, and from what I'm hearing ... killer talent as well. I hope he does make it onto the team in some capacity, because I have a really good feeling about this guy. Excellent piece. I hope it impacts his exposure.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
Thanks Shane! That's m'dark horse right there. Killer attitude he has, and from what I'm hearing ... killer talent as well. I hope he does make it onto the team in some capacity, because I have a really good feeling about this guy. Excellent piece. I hope it impacts his exposure.

Thanks, X.

And I have to agree with you as well in that I have a really good feeling about this guy. Not only does he possess speed/talent/skills that are on the plus side, but this guy has an amazing attitude and competitive drive to go with it.

As of this moment -- and it's very, very early -- I'd love to see him as the 6th WR.

We all should keep in mind, however, that he has done most of his work against the 2nd and 3rd string D. Doesn't mean he can't produce against 1's, but it is worth noting for the sake of balance.

RustyRay

Rookie

@Shane

Is there any word yet on the severity of his hammy strain?

Slappy967

Starter

Dying to know if he will miss any time or if we can expect him back on the field tomorrow?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

RustyRay said:
@Shane

+1.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I finally got to read this piece. Nice job Shane. We heard positive reports early, so it's nice to see some beef outside of tweets.

I am anxious to hear if he's a legit candidate for kick returner. If he can return kick-offs, he greatly improves his value over the others competing for #6.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

ShaneG said:
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Earning a regular-season NFL roster spot, even after a prestigious NCAA Division I career, is a rare and remarkable feat. Making a successful jump from the NCAA Division II level, though, is an even more daunting and difficult task. Nonetheless, that is exactly what Kansas City native and former Lindenwood University standout Andrew Helmick is trying to do – and expecting to do – with the St. Louis Rams.

If successful, Helmick would join a proud collection of Division II alumni who have successfully transitioned to the NFL. It is a group spearheaded by NFL Hall of Famers Walter Payton, Shannon Sharpe, John Randle, Darrell Green and John Stallworth. On a more local and current level, Helmick would join D-II products like Missouri Western State’s Greg Zuerlein and Abilene Christian’s Daryl Richardson as regular-season Rams.

If he makes it, Helmick has fellow wide receivers Austin Pettis and Chris Givens to thank – at least in part.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/07/29/lindenwoods-helmick-turning-heads-at-rams-camp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/07/29/lin ... rams-camp/</a>

Thanks Shane.
Another good article.

The more I hear and read of this guy, the more I like.
It just seems as though he's a no quit - guy. Good talent, good attitude and totally competitive.

I'd love to see him make the final roster.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Shane, did you do the interview that his quotes come from? And truly an excellent story, I went to find it on twitter so that I could give you a retweet. You have a fine future in front of you, Shane.

ShaneG

Starter

Slappy967 said:
Man do I love this guys attitude! He shows up each day puts on his hard hat and goes to work and thats the kind of player I think Fisher wants suiting up for him. Like the article says though it is very early in the process so hopefully he comes back from his hamstring tweak and resumes his solid play and locks down a spot on the team.

Talking to him, his competitive, confident attitude shines through undeniably. Very tough not to pull for him.

ShaneG

Starter

max said:
He needs to get a good share of luck staying healthy. Helmick is not gonna get protected like the drafted guys, so he will get the dirty work all through camp. That usually increases the chances that he ends up getting stashed on IR for next year.

I like him a lot though. Really pulling for him to be the 6th guy. The kid is showing a lot of heart so far.

I would think that if the hamstring takes too long to heal and he gets behind, he'd get the IR so the Rams could retain him rather than letting him go. He's shown some real promise.

ShaneG

Starter

nighttrain said:
He would be my choice as our 6th receiver. + he has the burst to return KO's
\train

Agreed

ShaneG

Starter

RustyRay said:
@Shane

Likely out at least a couple weeks, unfortunately.

ShaneG

Starter

CGI_Ram said:
I finally got to read this piece. Nice job Shane. We heard positive reports early, so it's nice to see some beef outside of tweets.

I am anxious to hear if he's a legit candidate for kick returner. If he can return kick-offs, he greatly improves his value over the others competing for #6.

Thanks my friend... and he has been working some on returns and if he does well that would really help him earn a spot.

ShaneG

Starter

Rambitious1 said:
ShaneG said:

Thanks Shane.
Another good article.

The more I hear and read of this guy, the more I like.
It just seems as though he's a no quit - guy. Good talent, good attitude and totally competitive.

I'd love to see him make the final roster.

Thank you, Rambitious1.

ShaneG

Starter

DR RAM said:
Shane, did you do the interview that his quotes come from? And truly an excellent story, I went to find it on twitter so that I could give you a retweet. You have a fine future in front of you, Shane.

DR. RAM, huge thanks for the very kind words and the retweet. I always love getting the RT's for sure. Thank you!

As for the interview, I talked to him after practice Friday. He is a great interview and you can really sense his passion and drive when he speaks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

ShaneG said:
RustyRay said:
@Shane

They're going to have to amputate, unfortunately.

WHAT????? :lmao: hehehe

Thanks for the info Shane.....it's a bummer for the guy but hopefully he has enough time to recover and show enough to get on the roster. I think I'm among those that would like to see him return kicks.

It's not easy for a guy like him and boy will that positive outlook will come in handy right now.