"Like" option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
GcBean made a suggestion about having an option to "like" posts, like Facebook, etc..

Not sure if it's even possible, but it's an idea.

As an example to how it looks on the forum, you can look at letsgokings.com (as GcBean mentioned)

Here's a thread on their forum, you can see how it says different people like a post...
http://letsgokings.com/f4/wcsf_game_1_g ... 91007.html

Thoughts?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's VBulletin software and you have to pay people to put that on your forum.

BUT.

I did download a modification that does the same thing. The problem is, it's for the base package of PHBB3 (the software I use), and not tweaked out boards like this one. I looked it over, and it's going to take a lot of work and backing up and re-writing of code to get it integrated into this board, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to do it.

I've been waiting for the slowest part of the off-season, because I have to take the board off-line.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd hate to have you to too much work, unless it was something you wanted to do already.

Either way I'm sure it'll end up great.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a couple of months and started some preliminary work on it. The only issue I have, and this is open for everyone to think about, is the possibility that people will feel compelled to "like" every post in a thread for fear of not offending someone else in that same thread.

For example.

Say I "like" the original post and your response. If there are 10 other posts after that, do I pick and choose what I like and skip over other people? Maybe it's a non-issue, but I just wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that their posts are not "as worthy" as the ones I like ahead (or below) theirs. Know what I mean?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a couple of months and started some preliminary work on it. The only issue I have, and this is open for everyone to think about, is the possibility that people will feel compelled to "like" every post in a thread for fear of not offending someone else in that same thread.

For example.

Say I "like" the original post and your response. If there are 10 other posts after that, do I pick and choose what I like and skip over other people? Maybe it's a non-issue, but I just wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that their posts are not "as worthy" as the ones I like ahead (or below) theirs. Know what I mean?

I get your line of thinking, but I don't think that it would be a problem here. Most of the people here - if not all of us - are pretty chill. I know that I wouldn't get offended if someone didn't like my posts; not everyone has the same opinion as me, and my opinion has been proven wrong many times before.

If it were a site like the Post Dispatch or YouTube, I could see the problem, but I don't think that it would be a problem here. Just don't include a dislike button; that would lead to trouble.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
X said:

For example.

I get your line of thinking, but I don't think that it would be a problem here. Most of the people here - if not all of us - are pretty chill. I know that I wouldn't get offended if someone didn't like my posts; not everyone has the same opinion as me, and my opinion has been proven wrong many times before.

If it were a site like the Post Dispatch or YouTube, I could see the problem, but I don't think that it would be a problem here. Just don't include a dislike button; that would lead to trouble.

Not sure about the "like" feature HERE. Personally, I think simply quoting and putting in a "This ^^^" or a "+1" works just fine. Is there a real advantage to a "like" option? Are we going to somehow get notified if someone likes what we said? Not sure I am about that.

As to the dislike option. Sure would like to see that on FB or some other sites... not mentioning any in particular...ahem...PD. Here? Not so much.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I have seen forums with +/- reputation, however, I am not a huge fan of it.

Not saying that it would happen here, but some people could feel that the "like" option is incredibly important.

superfan24

Starter
Lesson said:
I have seen forums with +/- reputation, however, I am not a huge fan of it.

Not saying that it would happen here, but some people could feel that the "like" option is incredibly important.

Agree could create more problems then be a benefit.