Liam gone

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Losing Liam is a big nothing burger to me....
It should be to everybody because it's not his offense or his play calling or his decisions on player personnel. He implements stuff for McVay doesn't make the decisions which makes the anger people have towards him all the funnier. Coen is a plug and play position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It should be to everybody because it's not his offense or his play calling or his decisions on player personnel. He implements stuff for McVay doesn't make the decisions which makes the anger people have towards him all the funnier. Coen is a plug and play position.
Where is the anger towards him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where is the anger towards him.
You've been skipping out on GDT and Vent threads lately? Also calling for somebody to get fired it's an angry response to their performance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've been skipping out on GDT and Vent threads lately? Also calling for somebody to get fired it's an angry response to their performance.
Never called for Coen to be fired. I simply think McVay told him to find another job. Just like Samples.

Anger has nothing to do with this.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The disagreement here is that we don't have an OL designed to push guys around. We have an OL designed to create horizontal movement, not vertical movement. And McVay is the guy who schemes the offense. When the offense struggles, people have a tendency to blame the assistants. McVay is the guy pulling the strings. He's a great coach, but he has some weaknesses.

Havenstein isn't Jackie Slater.
Crosby isn't Reggie White either

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never called for Coen to be fired. I simply think McVay told him to find another job. Just like Samples.

Anger has nothing to do with this.
I never said you. I never said you had anger towards him. My original comment wasn't even replying to you, you asserted yourself into my comments as if they were directed at you. And yes in order for people to be calling for somebody to lose their job there is anger ,irritation, being upset, dislike whatever word you want to use the kids these days call it hate. It's there whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In this OL conversation it seems to me that philosophically the Rams have favored that zone approach, but also they have run duo and power elements with equal ineffectiveness. So it seems to me that the issues are multi-level, from McVay and his "resting players" priority irt avoiding injuries to shitty run coordinators to shitty players on the OL and in the backfield. But if you put it all together the truth is the run game has never been prioritized by the guy in charge.

He actually mentioned this last year prior to the offseason and I thought to myself ok wow maybe they're gonna find a good back. They elected instead of course to go with the same shitters. But it's also why I was excited by the drafting of Bruss because his college tape had him at least driving guys off the ball. Figured worst case we'd have a strong run game on the right side behind him and Hav.

So bottom line for this offseason is that the Rams need to prioritize the run game. But where do you start if the guy at the top is not going to prioritize it. Only real hope is that he acknowledges the need for someone to take it over who is good at it. Starting there would be really nice. But even then we also need to actually identify and add guys who can help us up front and in the backfield. RB looks pretty deep in options in FA from where we're sitting, but if they end up drafting the position someone needs to tie McVay's ass up so they can avoid the pass-catchy types he prefers.

Truth is Snead has shown very little ability to draft either OL or RB. This is a problem. It's not a coincidence that Gurley was brought in by Fisher, who knew a thing or two about RBs. Yes that's about all he knows, but still. Henderson was a Snead guy, as shown by Snead talking him up and how the Rams would "feel him" elsewhere if they passed on him in the post-draft vid that year. So basically you have two guys working together who are good at their jobs but who for whatever reason need help in this area. Not sure how that gets fixed but again it seems to me that a strong run game hire would do wonders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said you. I never said you had anger towards him. My original comment wasn't even replying to you, you asserted yourself into my comments as if they were directed at you. And yes in order for people to be calling for somebody to lose their job there is anger ,irritation, being upset, dislike whatever word you want to use the kids these days call it hate. It's there whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
Fair enough.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Okay ROD masterminds, :eyeroll:

Who on McVay's present coaching staff would help him develop a run game to go with McVay the highly effective passing game that McVay loves?

I do not consider myself an expert in this coaching element. When you dig deep into the O coaches, most all have a heavy resume in the passing game. Only 2 in the run game.

If I had to answer my own question it would be Thomas Brown McVay's assist HC & TE coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious who our run game coordinator is right now. Not sure who that is as every time I've looked there's no mention of that specific responsibility.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay ROD masterminds, :eyeroll:

Who on McVay's present coaching staff would help him develop a run game to go with McVay the highly effective passing game that McVay loves?

I do not consider myself an expert in this coaching element. When you dig deep into the O coaches, most all have a heavy resume in the passing game. Only 2 in the run game.

If I had to answer my own question it would be Thomas Brown McVay's assist HC & TE coach.

When he put Jay Gruden on the staff as an advisor I hoped it was in an effort to help him improve his run game. I'd like him to stay as an advisor and to help McVay with it.

I don't know if we'll see McVay shift his philosophy in blocking and the type of OL he favors but I think Jay can help with the run game more than any other coach on the staff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For a team that alleges to desire a run game, it is puzzling that they continue to ignore the TE value for a running team. Having soft TE's and relying on WR for blocking is just a flawed design.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For a team that alleges to desire a run game, it is puzzling that they continue to ignore the TE value for a running team. Having soft TE's and relying on WR for blocking is just a flawed design.
I sat down yesterday to do a mock and was so torn on what I want to take early. I could see any OL positions, Edge, CB, S, TE, RB or even QB. Mocks will be all over the place IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sat down yesterday to do a mock and was so torn on what I want to take early. I could see any OL positions, Edge, CB, S, TE, RB or even QB. Mocks will be all over the place IMO.
Especially when the Rams trade back 2-3 times and still end up drafting a RB or WR with their first pick lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would kill for a top TE in the draft. Usually they seem to be gone by early round 2 but maybe this year we'll be up there high enough to nab one. Higbee has been an enormous disappointment this season and there's nothing there behind him.