Liam Coen significant upgrade over O'Connell?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
After hearing the way McVay spoke about him I was kind of surprised at how much of a glowing endorsement it was. I watched some Kentucky highlights from last year and their offense looked impressive, but man after seeing his interview from this week I'm very very excited to see what this guy brings. I watch all our team media sessions and I never once felt like O'Connell blew me away answering questions or with his knowledge of the game. Hearing this guy speak reminds me a little of McVay back in 2017 honestly. How eager he is to learn, his attention to detail, how he leads and teaches the game. I know he was on our staff a few years ago, but I think we made a huge upgrade at OC and I'm excited to see how things play out this year offensively. Anyone else have this feeling too?

View: https://youtu.be/_R8OBBNaau8

oldnotdead

Legend
That is really hard to say. I say that because the base offensive design is McVay's. For the most part, Sean calls the plays. Coen helps him put the game plan together weekly. As such he will understand how this offense is designed and how McVay's concepts are implemented. During the game, he looks for defensive tendencies which help McVay with his play calls. An example of what I'm saying is that game-winning play in the Super Bowl. They had seen the Bengal's short-yardage tendencies all game long. They used that QB sneak not with realistic expectations of success. But it was to set up the very next game-winning play. That is exactly why Sean told Matt to send Cooper to the outside position. When I saw that man coverage on Kupp I knew that was where the pass was going no matter how it was played by the CB. In other words McVay's OCs function like Asshole Face's OC Pete Carmichael. O'Connell helped McVay keep track of those tendencies.

This is why Ram OCs are in demand as HC prospects. Teams want to import the Ram's style of offense and team culture. That is what Coen did at Kentucky. He changed the culture, and he changed how the team was coached. Each week his teams were shown both on offense and defense, video clips of the most recent Ram game. He used it to teach concepts and techniques.

Having been on the staff in 2018 through 2019 it means that McVay does not have to "break-in" a new OC. The base offense isn't going to change because of him. He will give Sean his input but make no mistake it will be McVay's scheme. I'm hoping he will point out the primary issue with the run attack, i.e. either go with no lead block and revert to basically strictly using an inside zone scheme when running between the tackles or an FB or HB if he is going to stay with that power scheme. But IMO that will be the level of impact Coen will have.

Coen's impact will be felt in small but perhaps important ways. But for those who expect it to change the offensive scheme, I don't see it that way. The Rams have had one OC after another yet the offense remains the same. That in itself is proof of what I'm saying.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hear what you are saying @MachS. He certainly has a good head on his shoulders. I sort of pick up on a twinkle in McVay’s eye having him back.

@oldnotdead is right this should be seamless as the offense is designed by McVay. Losing KOC is really no big deal as Coen slides right into that spot with near zero acclimation.

What he brings to the offense? I hope some juice to the run game.

Oh and in that interview Jourdain asked; It sounds like Coen plans to be on the sideline, not upstairs in the booth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see it the same Mach. I think the OC matters even for McVay, in terms of how deep the gameplanning goes. Coen is a sharp guy hitting his power curve and I think McVay is gonna ride him a bit.

That plus Stafford in year two and Robinson too should mean a top 3 offense putting up around 30 per. Rams might defend this title.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, for what its worth, Coen and Shane Waldron both interviewed for the Kentucky gig, and Coen was the one who got the job. Taking an SEC program from 108th in scoring @21 ppg to #36 in scoring @32 ppg, thats a heck of a job
I never really understood what O'Connell's role was anyway, so its hard to say whether its an upgrade or not, but it sure feels like it

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
How long before one of McVay’s guys get a HC job before he even has a game as a Ram assistant?!? Lol.

Team with HC opening: did you hear McVay has hired X as his OC - get that guy in asap for an interview. You’re hired!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One could surmise it's a wash between O'Connell & Coen, O'Connell having the edge being a former NFL QB & Coen having an edge knowing the McVay system plus having a full year of play calling under his belt in the best conference in college football and I have to swallow hard to post that.

Coen reminds more of McVay, but O'Connell called the first TD to Kupp against the 49ers on 3rd & 13, so O'Connell will always have a special place in my heart because of that. Also I believe O'Connell could end up being Coach of the Year taking over the Vikings, who I've tabbed as winning that division over the hapless Green Bay Packers.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One could surmise it's a wash between O'Connell & Coen, O'Connell having the edge being a former NFL QB & Coen having an edge knowing the McVay system plus having a full year of play calling under his belt in the best conference in college football and I have to swallow hard to post that.

Coen reminds more of McVay, but O'Connell called the first TD to Kupp against the 49ers on 3rd & 13, so O'Connell will always have a special place in my heart because of that. Also I believe O'Connell could end up being Coach of the Year taking over the Vikings, who I've tabbed as winning that division over the hapless Green Bay Packers.
Yea I dont put any stock really into "being an NFL QB." McVay was only a QB in college and a running QB at that. He learned once he got into the NFL from Gruden and Shanahan. If you're surrounded by smart football minds you will learn.

But just listening to him speak and how he thinks reminds me so much of McVay idk. I know O'Connell contributed to game plans but the way McVay talks about Coen seems different. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I think he is going to be a future coaching star. Its just hard not to be impressed after hearing this interview.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was never really a big fan of KoC. Too howdy doody and mixed bag with a poor offense in 2020. Goff shares much of 2020 but either way I agree Coen may be better.

Better WR2 this year. Better QB in second year in offense. And maybe an OC upgrade. Sounds like only injuries or poor line play can derail what should be a better offense in 2022.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was never really a big fan of KoC. Too howdy doody and mixed bag with a poor offense in 2020. Goff shares much of 2020 but either way I agree Coen may be better.

Better WR2 this year. Better QB in second year in offense. And maybe an OC upgrade. Sounds like only injuries or poor line play can derail what should be a better offense in 2022.

Agree. I am really looking forward to seeing KoC as head coach. Press conferences post game, etc.

He operated a LOT in the background here.