Liam Coen likes Ben Skowronek

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Skowronek has a lot of potential and versatility to his game. He just needs to keep developing. He was a steal so late in the draft. Most guys picked past round five don't stick on a roster much less contribute the amount Ben did. A lot of third and fourth round picks don't get to play the amount of meaningful snaps that Skowronek did.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like I have said. Watch on game days & checkout the sidelines.Just saying I think there is some extra coaching going on with The Rams which is very cool.
I don’t know how player coaching relationships really work,but have noticed a little trend to greatness. Went to school with this guy who coaches in the NBA.His friendship,bond, or whatever it is is cool to watch.
Cooper Kupp had his best season ever last year.IMO it could have been because of his relationship with Robinson(coach). Olsen & Ben Sko might have something similar together & a beginning of a new(relationship) start.

Could be WAY-OFF. Just asking if anyone else can see it this season at all. I’ll have better idea game 1,for now it’s nothing.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Skow learned things very quickly he is definitely a smart dude. I think he will stick around for a while and improve this year but he needs to get over some drops. He has potential to be a good piece in this offense but there are so many options he may not get a ton of opportunities if everyone stays healthy and tutu/others start demanding more targets.

I could see him becoming like a Ricky Proehl type of guy getting 40-50 catches and 600ish yards for a few years. I don’t see him ever being a top option but maybe he will surprise us!

socalmab

UDFA
I think Skow is going to become a utilty piece, part tight end part wide out part full back . A jack of all trades

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Being in this WR room you'd better look good every time you touch the ball.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I like his fire on special teams, but is he a reliable catcher of the ball???

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I like his fire on special teams, but is he a reliable catcher of the ball???
I think he has holes when tracking the ball deep. We all saw the one in the endzone. Didn't really drop it as couldn't find it in time to adjust. He had a really bad play in the SB, but I really don't think he has a drops problem.

muggmeister

Rookie
I think he has holes when tracking the ball deep. We all saw the one in the endzone. Didn't really drop it as couldn't find it in time to adjust. He had a really bad play in the SB, but I really don't think he has a drops problem.
He doesn't have a "drop" problem, he has a "catch" problem.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He doesn't have a "drop" problem, he has a "catch" problem.
He had 11 catches in 20 targets. That’s 55%. Two more catches puts at 65% which is around what most good receivers average.

Let’s see if he makes a slight improvement in year two and get that % up, before we call it a problem.

Plus if he can’t track over his head then maybe don’t use him on a route like that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That also could have been a miscommunication. It looked like Stafford that he was going one way instead he drifted the other.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Even Cooper Kupp had issues in his rookie year (the drop against Seattle, the fumble against Minnesota). If Skowronek continues to improve, he could stick in this league for a very long time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Even Cooper Kupp had issues in his rookie year (the drop against Seattle, the fumble against Minnesota). If Skowronek continues to improve, he could stick in this league for a very long time.
Good Points although Skowronek's route running is also something to be desired and Cooper Kupp never had that issue.

In the Super Bowl, Skowronek cuts off his route, then puts one hand on the ball propelling it upward allowing the pass to be intercepted. Two errors on one play that caused a turnover.

jjab360

Legend
He had 11 catches in 20 targets. That’s 55%. Two more catches puts at 65% which is around what most good receivers average.

Let’s see if he makes a slight improvement in year two and get that % up, before we call it a problem.

Plus if he can’t track over his head then maybe don’t use him on a route like that.
The sample size is too small to come to any conclusions at this point.

That being said, if a receiver can't track the ball over their head they shouldn't be on an NFL field. Especially not on a team as deep as ours.

I'm pretty sure Skow is capable of making that catch but he also had a bad drop in the SB that led to an interception as well. Understandable why some fans have a bad taste on Skow in their mouths atm.

Psycho_X

Legend
Dude was a rookie 7th round pick who had good contributions to a super bowl winning team while having some struggles as well... nothing unusual for a rookie. Some very respected coaches have a high enough opinion of him that he has been relied on and will continue to be relied on for the foreseeable future. Yes, he's had a couple of bad drops but he's also made some nice catches, been a reliable blocker as a WR which McVay loves, and is a good special teams contributor. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and look forward to seeing what he does on Thursday.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Skow was a nice pick in the 7th round, I believe.

He’s already a pretty good blocker and a fine ST player. Pretty impressive all things considered.

The only reason he saw so many snaps was because of multiple injuries.

But let’s be honest about a few things.

He doesn’t track deep balls well. Both Atwell and McCutcheon do.

I’m gonna be kind here and say that his hands are not the best which is Job One for a WR. Both Atwell and McCutcheon have great hands (Atwell’s in practice).

His speed is okay for a WR, but both Atwell and McCutcheon are faster. Atwell is a real burner.

Look, I like Skow a lot myself but I recognize that he is a 2nd year work in progress. I want to see Atwell on the field in regular season games before he fully wins me over but I’ve already seen enough of McCutcheon.

This will not be popular to say so soon, but as of this minute I would rank our WR’s after Kupp and AR as a (healthy) Jefferson, Atwell/McCutcheon (tie), and Skow.

That is one helluva WR room, huh?

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Watched the SB replay last night and even though he knocked the ball in the air on the int, he also had a couple of catches that helped sustain drives including the game winner.

He’s going to be a good piece of this team, no team has 3 or 4 Kupps.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

But does Matt Stafford trust him given the numerous (more than one) bad plays? To me, the risk is that Matt hesitates to throw him the ball during his progressions.