Lets talk LBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would you take any other players on this roster to back up Brockers or Donald?? Assuming Easley is healthy....I wouldn't get rid of Westbrooks or Fox for anyone besides Easley....but...I gotta see this JFM play.

Fact is Demoff/ Snead/ Wade are facing a big problem in Free Agency March 2019 ( less than 10 months from now) in the DL. AD will be tagged @ a big cap cost Westbrooks/ Easley/ Suh & Fox will be desire a big pay increase in a new contract. Starting NT Suh is highly probable playing elsewhere so we will need to find a starting NT next yr.. Westbrooks who started nine gms @ the 5 tech & NT posts last season is a solid back up reserve @ all 3 DL posts. Easley could start in over 2/3rds of the 31 other teams & is a dynamic interior pass rusher when healthy. Morgan Fox does not offer the talents & skills what other reserves Easley & Westbrook do but he stands an excellent chance to sign an affordable 2019 contract where the other two will not. Omarius Bryant & Tanzel Smart have not displayed any special talents as of yet. However both are under contract in 2019.

Pre TC DL observations indicate that Snead has addressed this upcoming March 2019 problem with the signing of 5 tech DE John Frankin, NT Sebastian Joseph 6-3 295, DT McKay Murphy 6-4 295 to fight it out with Smart & Bryant. Those five young DL'ers are sure to replace Suh/ Easley & Westbrooks in 2019.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pre TC DL observations indicate that Snead has addressed this upcoming March 2019 problem with the signing of 5 tech DE John Frankin, NT Sebastian Joseph 6-3 295, DT McKay Murphy 6-4 295 to fight it out with Smart & Bryant. Those five young DL'ers are sure to replace Suh/ Easley & Westbrooks in 2019.

Ya can't wait to see how they show up in pre season!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fact is Demoff/ Snead/ Wade are facing a big problem in Free Agency March 2019 ( less than 10 months from now) in the DL. AD will be tagged @ a big cap cost Westbrooks/ Easley/ Suh & Fox will be desire a big pay increase in a new contract.

Gee. With the exception of Suh, I'm not completely convinced that Westbrooks, Easley, and/or Fox are sure bets to make the final cut this year.

Ram65

Legend
Fact is Demoff/ Snead/ Wade are facing a big problem in Free Agency March 2019 ( less than 10 months from now) in the DL. AD will be tagged @ a big cap cost Westbrooks/ Easley/ Suh & Fox will be desire a big pay increase in a new contract. Starting NT Suh is highly probable playing elsewhere so we will need to find a starting NT next yr.. Westbrooks who started nine gms @ the 5 tech & NT posts last season is a solid back up reserve @ all 3 DL posts. Easley could start in over 2/3rds of the 31 other teams & is a dynamic interior pass rusher when healthy. Morgan Fox does not offer the talents & skills what other reserves Easley & Westbrook do but he stands an excellent chance to sign an affordable 2019 contract where the other two will not. Omarius Bryant & Tanzel Smart have not displayed any special talents as of yet. However both are under contract in 2019.

Gee. With the exception of Suh, I'm not completely convinced that Westbrooks, Easley, and/or Fox are sure bets to make the final cut this year.

How many do they keep?

Westbooks moves around which gives him value
Easley has the quick get off for pass rushing and is best as a rotational guy
Fox could be challenged by JFM

LDE 90 Brockers 93 Westbrooks 62 57 Franklin-Meyer 97 Fox 62 Lawler

NT 93 SUH 67 Bryant S 69 Joseph-Day 61 Murphy

DT 99 Donald 91 Easley 92 Smart

Rams need a couple of these guys to become the NT when Suh leaves. Murphy and Joseph-Day look to be the future. We have to see how Smart develops too. Rams have some time to worry about next year. Sorting things out this year will be very interesting.

Memphis Ram

Legend
How many do they keep?

Rams need a couple of these guys to become the NT when Suh leaves. Murphy and Joseph-Day look to be the future. We have to see how Smart develops too. Rams have some time to worry about next year. Sorting things out this year will be very interesting.

I'm guessing that they only keep 3 backups like I think they did last year. As a 4th round pick, history suggests that Franklin-Meyer would almost have be a colossal bust or injured not to have one of those spots. That would leave about 8 players fighting for 2 spots.

Easley has had a few serious knee injuries (college & pro) and we have no idea what the 2018 version will look like, if he makes it through camp.

And with all the money spent on DL starters, Westbrooks may have to prove to be significantly better than the younger, far cheaper, players picked up or he might be a salary cap cut. And the young players picked up look to have the potential to move around, too.

Should be interesting.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How many do they keep?

I mentioned last week that I thought that veteran DL'er Ethan Westbrooks & his $2.23 million contract might be "trade bait" in order to secure some future draft assets & get some current needed 2018 salary cap relief.

EW is a UFA in March of next season. I would keep an eye on this when 43 D teams have injuries to their DE's. Since EW is a better overall fit in a 43 Defense @ DE he might fetch some interest since 2/3rds of the NFL run 43 D's. DE's that has some pass rush skills are always in demand! Teams ran through us with Westbrooks manning the Nose rather easily last season. I do not see much future in retrying that again this season. Thus EW will be utilized either as a reserve for the 5 tech or 3 tech DL posts. EW is a much better @ the 5 tech post than 3 tech.

3 tech post Dom Easley needs to prove he is back to his 2016 season form in order to secure a master( 53) roster position. Easley does have some serious experience @ rehabbing ACL/MCL tears;). Does that count for much? This is the great UN-known currently. However Easley signed a cap friendly contract $850 K, so that's a positive IF he can return to par:cautious:. He is also a UFA when this season ends.

Last years rookie Tanzel Smart is a pure 3 tech skills DL coming out of college...he has a dismal (n):sick::puke:rookie season first, starting @ NT & he went Fail Mode there....then playing behind AD.....he sure needs to do something this TC & Pre season to win in a position:notsure:.

Morgan Fox is more pass rusher than run stuffer. Fox can play both the 5 & 3 tech posts. It would no surprise me if we see Fox lining up in the 3 tech in TC & pre season to compete with the damaged Easley & "get a clue please" Smart. Fox will be a RFA in March so he can be retained easy & @ a low cost cap hit. Anyway Fox & AD are good friends so it seem logical.

Omarius Bryant was a DE in college but he outgrew that position real fast. I expect the 6-3 320 plus pound NT to get a ton of action in pre season after stewing for a full year in the Rams Practice Squad. I hold up more hope for Bryant than I do for Tanzel Smart.

Ram65

Legend
I'm guessing that they only keep 3 backups like I think they did last year. As a 4th round pick, history suggests that Franklin-Meyer would almost have be a colossal bust or injured not to have one of those spots. That would leave about 8 players fighting for 2 spots.

Easley has had a few serious knee injuries (college & pro) and we have no idea what the 2018 version will look like, if he makes it through camp.

And with all the money spent on DL starters, Westbrooks may have to prove to be significantly better than the younger, far cheaper, players picked up or he might be a salary cap cut. And the young players picked up look to have the potential to move around, too.

Should be interesting.

I mentioned last week that I thought that veteran DL'er Ethan Westbrooks & his $2.23 million contract might be "trade bait" in order to secure some future draft assets & get some current needed 2018 salary cap relief.

EW is a UFA in March of next season. I would keep an eye on this when 43 D teams have injuries to their DE's. Since EW is a better overall fit in a 43 Defense @ DE he might fetch some interest since 2/3rds of the NFL run 43 D's. DE's that has some pass rush skills are always in demand! Teams ran through us with Westbrooks manning the Nose rather easily last season. I do not see much future in retrying that again this season. Thus EW will be utilized either as a reserve for the 5 tech or 3 tech DL posts. EW is a much better @ the 5 tech post than 3 tech.

3 tech post Dom Easley needs to prove he is back to his 2016 season form in order to secure a master( 53) roster position. Easley does have some serious experience @ rehabbing ACL/MCL tears;). Does that count for much? This is the great UN-known currently. However Easley signed a cap friendly contract $850 K, so that's a positive IF he can return to par:cautious:. He is also a UFA when this season ends.

Last years rookie Tanzel Smart is a pure 3 tech skills DL coming out of college...he has a dismal (n):sick::puke:rookie season first, starting @ NT & he went Fail Mode there....then playing behind AD.....he sure needs to do something this TC & Pre season to win in a position:notsure:.

Morgan Fox is more pass rusher than run stuffer. Fox can play both the 5 & 3 tech posts. It would no surprise me if we see Fox lining up in the 3 tech in TC & pre season to compete with the damaged Easley & "get a clue please" Smart. Fox will be a RFA in March so he can be retained easy & @ a low cost cap hit. Anyway Fox & AD are good friends so it seem logical.

Omarius Bryant was a DE in college but he outgrew that position real fast. I expect the 6-3 320 plus pound NT to get a ton of action in pre season after stewing for a full year in the Rams Practice Squad. I hold up more hope for Bryant than I do for Tanzel Smart.

Here is what I got. Easley had a new/better type surgery and reports are that the knee is stronger than before any injury. He is only getting 850K that includes a 145K roster bonus. It looks like he stays to me as he gets pressure on QBs. Westbrooks 2.25 Million makes him expensive with only a 250K dead cut money. Fox counts 600K

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

All make the 53 man roster. That makes only one opening unless they keep 7.
Donald
Suh
Brockers
Easley
Franklin-Meyer

Fighting for a spot or two?
Ethan Westbrooks
Tanzel Smart
Morgan Fox
Omarius Bryant

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Okay this is a deep question "who's the mike that replaces Ogletree? is it Barron or Littleton? or Hager or Wilson & then the follow up question who will make the calls on the field for Wade & get everyone in the right positions?

If you say Barron that means they will have moved our best LB'er over the last 3 seasons .... the 6-2 225 lbs Barron away from where he played well last season....if you go with the over 6-3 lanky thin 225 pound Littleton ...I have a bunch of hard questions for you or anyone....So Cory is the Ram ready play & start the mike post? right right ? why?

I have no question or issues with Cory playing where he played & started last season, but it was not in the mike post either ... it was in the Barron post. Yet when I push deep on this accepted 2018 early game plan the comeback posts come back short in vague terms with the same ole claim that's what Wade said who will start. Do we have any statement from Wade where he says that Cory will start in the mike post?

I have a hard time seeing Wade repairing our weak run stopping defense with two 6-3 225lbs & a 6-2 225 lbs inside Lb'ers with the same two smaller NFL safeties to boot.
I'm gonna guess....unless Kizer plays outta this world...that Ramtik Wilson gets the first chance...followed by Hagar...for that ILB position....I doubt this is like a Mike LB type position.....as DL's take up blockers...allowing both ILB's to pursue the ball....
Starting NT Suh is highly probable playing elsewhere
I hope not....maybe he stays on a team friendly deal.
Pre TC DL observations indicate that Snead has addressed this upcoming March 2019 problem with the signing of 5 tech DE John Frankin, NT Sebastian Joseph 6-3 295, DT McKay Murphy 6-4 295 to fight it out with Smart & Bryant.
Rams65 has a great response above...
I like Franklin, Joseph, and Murphy is interesting...He's a bigger, stronger, faster version of Fox.
Smart and Bryant are getting cut.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...rams-roster-linebacker-depth-rookie-starters/

By: Cameron DaSilva

After the Los Angeles Rams were bounced from the playoffs last season, everyone’s eyes turned to the roster. Trumaine Johnson, Sammy Watkins, Lamarcus Joyner, Nickell Robey-Coleman and John Sullivan were among the many players set to hit free agency, bringing into question how the Rams would address potential roster holes.

Joyner, Robey-Coleman and Sullivan were all re-signed, while Los Angeles replaced Watkins and Johnson with three blockbuster trades. That left them needing very little heading into the 2018 NFL Draft.

Linebacker was obviously a top priority, as was offensive line depth, but the Rams didn’t seem overly concerned about the latter. After all, they waited until the fifth round to add any sort of linebacker, either inside or outside.

So where do the roster holes lie now that the draft is in the books? Really, there’s only one vacancy, and it’s at the position the Rams needed most heading into the draft: linebacker.

usatsi_10473559.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

At cornerback, they’re set with Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Robey-Coleman, among others. Their safety duo of Joyner and John Johnson is one of the best in the league. The defensive line needs no explanation with Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers topping the depth chart, while the offensive line is equally deep after the draft.

At wide receiver and running back, the Rams have a wealth of talent. At quarterback, Jared Goff isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, so there’s no concern under center, either.

As you can see, there aren’t any real holes on the roster outside of linebacker. Unfortunately, that’s a big vacancy, given the possibility that three new starters will be on the field in Week 1 after trading Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn, as well as letting Connor Barwin walk. Mark Barron looks like the only returning starter, while the rest of the group will be sorted out in training camp.

We’re still in the very early parts of the offseason and there’s plenty yet to be determined, but you can’t help but wonder what Los Angeles will do at linebacker next season. Will it be rookies Micah Kiser or Tegray scales starting next to Barron? Or will Cory Littleton and Ramik Wilson hold off the first-year players to earn a starting job?

usatsi_10374013.jpg

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

At outside linebacker, Samson Ebukam and Matt Longacre will have their work cut out for them when it comes to staving off Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. It’s likely one of the two will start in Week 1, but Okoronkwo has a good chance to take one of their jobs – likely Longacre’s.

Fortunately, the Rams bolstered their defensive line and secondary to make up for the holes at linebacker. If they can generate pressure up front and on the interior, it’ll make the lives of all four linebackers much easier. Inside ‘backers will be given more free runs to ball carriers, while the edge rushers will be afforded additional one-on-one matchups.

Los Angeles is in as good of shape as any team in the NFL, but until the linebacker position gets sorted out, all eyes will go to the middle of the defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...rams-roster-linebacker-depth-rookie-starters/

By: Cameron DaSilva

After the Los Angeles Rams were bounced from the playoffs last season, everyone’s eyes turned to the roster. Trumaine Johnson, Sammy Watkins, Lamarcus Joyner, Nickell Robey-Coleman and John Sullivan were among the many players set to hit free agency, bringing into question how the Rams would address potential roster holes.

Joyner, Robey-Coleman and Sullivan were all re-signed, while Los Angeles replaced Watkins and Johnson with three blockbuster trades. That left them needing very little heading into the 2018 NFL Draft.

Linebacker was obviously a top priority, as was offensive line depth, but the Rams didn’t seem overly concerned about the latter. After all, they waited until the fifth round to add any sort of linebacker, either inside or outside.

So where do the roster holes lie now that the draft is in the books? Really, there’s only one vacancy, and it’s at the position the Rams needed most heading into the draft: linebacker.

usatsi_10473559.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

At cornerback, they’re set with Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Robey-Coleman, among others. Their safety duo of Joyner and John Johnson is one of the best in the league. The defensive line needs no explanation with Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers topping the depth chart, while the offensive line is equally deep after the draft.

At wide receiver and running back, the Rams have a wealth of talent. At quarterback, Jared Goff isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, so there’s no concern under center, either.

As you can see, there aren’t any real holes on the roster outside of linebacker. Unfortunately, that’s a big vacancy, given the possibility that three new starters will be on the field in Week 1 after trading Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn, as well as letting Connor Barwin walk. Mark Barron looks like the only returning starter, while the rest of the group will be sorted out in training camp.

We’re still in the very early parts of the offseason and there’s plenty yet to be determined, but you can’t help but wonder what Los Angeles will do at linebacker next season. Will it be rookies Micah Kiser or Tegray scales starting next to Barron? Or will Cory Littleton and Ramik Wilson hold off the first-year players to earn a starting job?

usatsi_10374013.jpg

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

At outside linebacker, Samson Ebukam and Matt Longacre will have their work cut out for them when it comes to staving off Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. It’s likely one of the two will start in Week 1, but Okoronkwo has a good chance to take one of their jobs – likely Longacre’s.

Fortunately, the Rams bolstered their defensive line and secondary to make up for the holes at linebacker. If they can generate pressure up front and on the interior, it’ll make the lives of all four linebackers much easier. Inside ‘backers will be given more free runs to ball carriers, while the edge rushers will be afforded additional one-on-one matchups.

Los Angeles is in as good of shape as any team in the NFL, but until the linebacker position gets sorted out, all eyes will go to the middle of the defense.
Every NFL Team's Biggest Remaining Offseason Need
Gary Davenport on May 12, 2018
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2774921-every-nfl-teams-biggest-remaining-offseason-need#slide17

Los Angeles Rams: Inside Linebacker
Here's a news flash:

The Los Angeles Rams spent most of the offseason loading up for a Super Bowl run. There wasn't a more aggressive team in the NFL when it came to adding impact players, whether it was cornerback Marcus Peters or defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

However, that doesn't mean the Rams are without holes on defense. Among all the additions was one major subtraction—the trade that sent inside linebacker Alec Ogletree to the New York Giants.

This isn't to say the Rams are barren at the position now. Mark Barron is a proven veteran with a pair of 100-tackle seasons on his professional resume.

But the spot next to Barron is now a question mark. Fourth-year pro Bryce Hager has all of one career start. Ramik Wilson has more experience as a starter, but the former Chief is a liability in coverage.

The Rams have the makings of a formidable defense. But if that defense has an Achilles' heel, it's in the middle.