Lets talk about those officials last night

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm not blaming them for the loss - because the loss was a result of two turnovers that led to 14 pts.

But man they were bad......

1. Jalen Ramseys "taunting call" after his INT. He gets up and accidently runs into a guy - even tries to help him up for a sec... and they called that taunting?
2. Dante Deayon gets called for a.... "Facemask?" lol... after the play was over.... Two guys were jawing at each other and deayon grabbed his mask. It should have been a no call or double penalty.... these clowns called it a "Facemask"... never heard that before.
3. Whit holding.. we ended up getting the 1st anyway but terrible.
4. Aaron roughing - this was a big big and utterly atrocious call that cost us any chance of coming back.

Am i forgetting any?

That was the worst officiated game I've seen this year by far.
Was the second roughing when Tannenhill was going down just to close to the head? Seemed like a bang bang play

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Was the second roughing when Tannenhill was going down just to close to the head? Seemed like a bang bang play
Seems that is what they thought. I thought the forearm hit him in the chest and may have slid up into the neck/head area.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
They said head and or Neck but it was a bit suspect.
A lot of the calls that were ticky tack went against us. We needed to make far fewer mistakes and do a better job of getting in the end zone. McVay took too long to adjust I thought

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not blaming them for the loss - because the loss was a result of two turnovers that led to 14 pts.

But man they were bad......

1. Jalen Ramseys "taunting call" after his INT. He gets up and accidently runs into a guy - even tries to help him up for a sec... and they called that taunting?
2. Dante Deayon gets called for a.... "Facemask?" lol... after the play was over.... Two guys were jawing at each other and deayon grabbed his mask. It should have been a no call or double penalty.... these clowns called it a "Facemask"... never heard that before.
3. Whit holding.. we ended up getting the 1st anyway but terrible.
4. Aaron roughing - this was a big big and utterly atrocious call that cost us any chance of coming back.

Am i forgetting any?

That was the worst officiated game I've seen this year by far.
Yes, AD was ‘high-Low’ blocked on one play. Illegal block not called.

TexasRam

Legend
Yea the Ref calls were terrible. There is no denying that. Just the wrong night for us to also have the Zebras against us.

I guess it was National upset day. Refs instructed to bring a little balance to the force or something.

But regarding Floyd. Geez dude. Contain. Same thing he did vs Zona. Lose contain. I realize he collided into Donald and all that, but there is no reason to crash so hard inside. He has to correct that. Like Pronto.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll take your word for it because I wouldn't know. If you don't like it go elsewhere!
Neither would I, it's something called a metaphor and also tongue-in-cheek, a bit like.....

And there is some serious irony in you telling me to go somewhere else if I don't like something somebody said after you have clearly not liked something I said and wanted to tell me I can go somewhere else.

The point is, we deserved to lose but fans of every team love to blame the officials in every sport.

if the 9ers had lost like this we'd be pissing ourselves at their message boards blowing up blaming the officials.

Tano

Legend
The full time/part time designation is way over rated.
Every sport has an off season where the refs/umpires can and do have other jobs.
I have no problem with officials having jobs during the offseason but their focus should be 100% on football during the season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Apparently they need to simply the rules, the freaking refs don’t even know how to call or enforce them any more.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently they need to simply the rules, the freaking refs don’t even know how to call or enforce them any more.
Refs in previous years didn't have ultra hi-def slow-motion replays from 191 different angles being shown dozens of times on TV with commentators breaking down every fucking decision to contend with.

It happened once, people couldn't be sure and life moved on.

Now you have people taking one screenshot from one particular angle that supports what THEY think and looks like the refs got it wrong (or right) and it goes viral on the internet.

The officials do a good job when you take into account the insane pressure they are under and the fact that no matter what they do, some people will hate them and insist there is a conspiracy.

It's ridiculous.

I do think there is a case to make them full time. But since refs went full time in the English premiership I'm not convinced the quality has gone up and you still get the exact same arguments.

I watched a ref make a change with the help of video in the Everton v Tottenham game this weekend and it was clear he was right to reverse his initial decision after he watched the video. Then when the replay confirmed that (to me, the entire commentary team and most of the neutrals watching) that his initial award of a penalty was wrong, the place went fucking mental and they started baying for blood....and a penalty.

People see what they want to see.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem with officials having jobs during the offseason but their focus should be 100% on football during the season.
I think that the argument for making them full time all year is that they can use the offseason to focus on rule changes, fitness, team liaision etc.

It's valid as during the season it's just manic with games.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Refs in previous years didn't have ultra hi-def slow-motion replays from 191 different angles being shown dozens of times on TV with commentators breaking down every fucking decision to contend with.

It happened once, people couldn't be sure and life moved on.

Now you have people taking one screenshot from one particular angle that supports what THEY think and looks like the refs got it wrong (or right) and it goes viral on the internet.

The officials do a good job when you take into account the insane pressure they are under and the fact that no matter what they do, some people will hate them and insist there is a conspiracy.

It's ridiculous.

I do think there is a case to make them full time. But since refs went full time in the English premiership I'm not convinced the quality has gone up and you still get the exact same arguments.

I watched a ref make a change with the help of video in the Everton v Tottenham game this weekend and it was clear he was right to reverse his initial decision after he watched the video. Then when the replay confirmed that (to me, the entire commentary team and most of the neutrals watching) that his initial award of a penalty was wrong, the place went fucking mental and they started baying for blood....and a penalty.

People see what they want to see.
I agree that most of the calls they make regarding spotting the ball, catch or no catch are on the money 90% of the time.

But when you see what gets called, Donald roughing versus him getting a high low in a pile or someone with a headlock on him and getting no call. It’s suspicious.

Not knowing how to enforce a penalty like the chop block on the kick off is just inexcusable.

Too many rules and no consistency is great for controlling the game for parity and gambling.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I posted this before. The Refs don't look at AD because they don't want to see the holds because they are told not to call to many. Because they don't look at AD, they didn't see the hi low on him. The Rams need to pitch a big bitch on this. For the refs to call all the ticy tack holds and roughing calls and not get the obvious can't be let go.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Every game seems to be affected by poor officiating. Did anyone see the Bears and Steelers game last night? These NFL officials all suck! Something has to be done about it. I did not know until recently that of the three major sports; NBA, MLB,& NFL. The NFL is the only one in which the officials are not full-time employees. The NFL owners have enough money to make them full-time employees. There needs to be a system in place where by they are held accountable, for their job performance. I mean, when I was working if you messed up the first time you got your ass chewed out; the second time you received a written warning; the third time you were suspended without pay for three days; and the fourth time you were fired. There is NO accountable for these NFL officials and that is why they keep screwing up. I am done until next week.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Lets be clear. It's the not the refs fault. It's the NFLs. They are just doing their jobs as best they can. Sure some are better than others but this has been something that the NFL has wanted.
Look at every year, something new comes out that really slows down the game. First it was celebrating, then an emphasis on holding, then pass interference, then reviewable PI, now the the taunting rule. Every year they come up with these new rules, people hate it or players hate and it gets squashed the following year. Problem is we have a nanny running the NFL and until he's gone it's not gonna change.

dang

Legend
I’d be interested in the track record of the group that officiated the Rams Titans game. They struggled with an semblance of competence. Their incompetence became the focus (vs the Titans tremendous defensive game plan) as the game progressed. Every game has some questionable/ blown calls but I can’t recall a total game as questionable as this one.

Including this…
Should Jalen Ramsey have been ejected from Sunday’s Rams-Titans game?

Had it stayed an unsportsmanlike penalty, Ramsey would have been automatically ejected from the game following his taunting penalty. But that was not the case since his first penalty of the contest was switched to unnecessary roughness.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Problem is we have a nanny running the NFL and until he's gone it's not gonna change.

I think there is something to this. Not to excuse the terrible officiating (and it is terrible - was awful in the Steelers-Bears game last night), but the fish does rot from the head down, and Goodell is not a good commissioner. He clearly doesn't understand the amped-up, emotional nature of the game and seems to think players should be able to switch it on and off as easy as a light switch. It doesn't work that way. And moreover, he wants to take all of the fun out of the game. It started with Tagliabue (remember when the Rams GSOT celebration became prohibited?) but has only gotten worse with Goodell.

Of course, the owners could shitcan him tomorrow if they wanted, but there aren't enough of them with courage to take him on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As said elsewhere, the full time/part time designation is irrelevant. All refs/umpires in any sport can have jobs in off season. Due to the amount of games disparity, NFL refs work a fraction of the games other sports play, and during season spend more time between games reviewing film than any other sport.
The way I see it, the issue with the refs/officiating in general is multi faceted
1) the game is too fast, they need to embrace technology. One example, The charade of the 1st down chain gang is laughable at this point. Chip the ball, LOS be electronic. Use the time saved for more review potential
2) defining penalties- there can be holding and PI on almost every play if called "by the book". Re-define it and call it when it occurs. The idea of calling things some times and not others is a joke.
3) review of calls- all reviews should be initiated by a coach request, no "automatic" reviews. and all plays should be reviewable

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Goodell is not a good commissioner.

NFL owners say otherwise considering how much dough he brings to their table. If we really want them to start sweating bullets to be better, we would be voting with our wallets

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lol at blaming Goodell....he is nothing but a figure head for the owners. Nothing more, nothing less. No owner is "afraid" of standing up to him. He literally exists to take blame from fans and deflect it from the owners while pushing their various agendas...

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah the refs have issues - but some of the rules they are asking to enforce are just looking for controversy.