Let's talk about our role players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Casuals and the media constantly get this wrong. They currently aren't aware, for example, that Greg Gaines has elevated himself out of "role player" status and squarely into "good starter" status (or whatever terminology we want to use).

But even more disturbing to me are that Rams fans on this site seem to be making the same mistake.

The Rams model is to find players that do something well, then develop them. Nick Scott is a great example of this - he was an ace special teamer and has developed into an actual playable safety. Last year he displayed both range and the ability to pop a receiver at times.

The NFL - and really, all professional sports leagues - rely on development from one year to the next. When someone flashes what Scott flashed last year, that potential can turn into consistency with the right coaching staff.

So why do some Rams fans think safety is a need? Because some of us are just refusing to accept that role players are a thing. The other thing to consider is that both getting playing time in a limited capacity (Funk) and being on the roster but getting none (Garrett) are positives for rookies, and this coaching staff has flat out PROVEN that they know what they're doing. So what, exactly, do we know?

We'll ignore QB - although it's worth noting that with Wolford and Perkins, there is zero chance we will be adding a QB - and WR for obvious reasons.

RB - Akers, Henderson, Funk - we know that this group has injury concerns - safe bet that we add a RB late in the draft to compete for that 4th RB spot

OL - Havenstein, Shelton, Allen, Edwards, Noteboom, Jackson, Anchrum, Evans - we know that those 8 are likely to make the roster next year and that group includes at least two players that can play a given position - this means that, despite ROD threatening to jump off a ledge again........it's possible the Rams ignore OL again in the draft. Don't forget that this is the same group as last year minus Corbett and Whitworth - and last year we were facing three FA OL AND Whit likely retiring. So it may not stress the Rams out that Hav, Edwards and Evans will all hit FA next year - I think it's 50/50 that we actually draft an offensive lineman this year, and that's okay - much to the chagrin of this board, any offensive lineman drafted would be for the future, NOT for 2022

TE - Higbee, Hopkins, Blanton - I think it's very likely we finally draft a TE - late - mostly for blocking. In a pinch, Harris could be a flex TE type, and Hopkins and Blanton both played well on the biggest stages.

DL - AD, Gaines, Robinson, Brown, Hoecht, Copeland - this is the group that will make the team, but the Rams seem to like giving Eric Henderson someone to mold and develop in the background - I'd guess DL is on the priority UDFA radar, but not a draft pick

EDGE - Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, Garrett - probably the most divisive group - could go either way. What I want to point out is that this exact group - swapping Garrett for Obo - was getting pressure before we acquired Von. I think the biggest disagreement is on Hollins - he's a good role player though and is capable of starting for us - I think it's more likely we get a vet FA signing ala Melvin Ingram than we do going the draft route this year

ILB - Jones, Howard, Rozeboom - we obviously need a body or two here - IF we sign Wagner, I'd imagine the rotation will just be Jones, Wagner and Howard with Rozeboom playing special teams - but with that up in the air, I think we end up spending a draft pick here

S - the main reason I wanted to talk about role players - we have four of them here, and this is a position group we should absolutely ignore until UDFA. We showed we can find them and have some on other teams rosters; having a 5th safety would be good, but it should be an UDFA

CB - another divisive group - the thing I want to point out here - and really this goes for ILB, S and CB too - is that when you win the Super Bowl with some of these role players playing a significant amount of time, upgrading them should not be a priority unless you have the resources to do it - and we do NOT. It will likely disturb people to think that David Long will play a significant role in the defense next year - but he will. He already did on a SUPER BOWL WINNING TEAM. Long played 82% of the snaps in the Super Bowl and guess what? I don't remember him getting picked on much....at all. Our model also asks Robert Rochell to be a starter next year....that's just how we roll. But that said, we still need to add CB in the draft - likely two of them

(I think punter will be UDFA or a vet FA)

So where does that leave our draft picks - or in other words - what are the positions most likely to be picked?

RB
TE
ILB
CB (2)

These would be the biggest needs, which leaves some flexibility for OL, EDGE and DL if wanted

Ram65

Legend
RB - Akers, Henderson, Funk - we know that this group has injury concerns - safe bet that we add a RB late in the draft to compete for that 4th RB spot

Could look for a bigger back that can pound the line.

TE - Higbee, Hopkins, Blanton - I think it's very likely we finally draft a TE - late - mostly for blocking. In a pinch, Harris could be a flex TE type, and Hopkins and Blanton both played well on the biggest stages.

They could be looking for a replacement for Higbee. He has two years remaining on his current deal. He will be 31 Jan of 2024.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Could look for a bigger back that can pound the line.

They could be looking for a replacement for Higbee. He has two years remaining on his current deal. He will be 31 Jan of 2024.
It wouldn't surprise me if they take a RB at #104 or #142.

Casuals and the media constantly get this wrong. They currently aren't aware, for example, that Greg Gaines has elevated himself out of "role player" status and squarely into "good starter" status (or whatever terminology we want to use).

RB
TE
ILB
CB (2)
I forget who it was on the Herd (Albert Breer?) but they were talking about Wagner. Cowherd said, "who wouldn't want to play behind Aaron Donald?" and whomever it was said, "and Greg Gaines. He's really come on the second half of the season". That's all well and good but what about A'Shawn Robinson? I don't think a defensive player had a better second half and postseason than AR.

Anyway.....I like your list there. I expect a RB. I watch a lot of Cowherd and he makes a great point. Gurley, Elliott and McCaffrey all got paydays in the form of extensions and were not worth those paydays once the extension took affect. A cautionary tale. Why not just draft them, use them for 4 years and let them go? Very rarely does a RB remain affective into years 5-8.

So I'm on board with that. Love Hendo and Akers but get the next one this year. And another one next year. From 2012 - 2016 1,000 yard rushers declined. It was a case of offenses not requiring a bell cow but instead a very good QB and 3 good WRs. They declined further from 2017-2021. Here's the list.

2012 - 16
2013 - 13
2014 - 13
2015 - 7
2016 - 12
Avg (12.2)

2017 - 9
2018 - 9
2019 - 16
2020 - 8
2021 - 7 ** and that's with an extra game.
Avg (9.8)

The rest of your list is good too. TE is definitely a need. So is CB and I agree, get a couple. ILB and Edge. And of course OL. It's going to be interesting to watch and then read about all the wrong guys they drafted and who they should have drafted! :sunglasses:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
any offensive lineman drafted would be for the future, NOT for 2022

Speaking for me, if its our first pick I might be thinking 2022. But I do NOT expect an OL early.

Hollins - he's a good role player though and is capable of starting for us - I think it's more likely we get a vet FA signing ala Melvin Ingram than we do going the draft route this year

Yeah. Probably this.

CB - another divisive group - the thing I want to point out here - and really this goes for ILB, S and CB too - is that when you win the Super Bowl with some of these role players playing a significant amount of time, upgrading them should not be a priority unless you have the resources to do it - and we do NOT. It will likely disturb people to think that David Long will play a significant role in the defense next year - but he will. He already did on a SUPER BOWL WINNING TEAM. Long played 82% of the snaps in the Super Bowl and guess what? I don't remember him getting picked on much....at all. Our model also asks Robert Rochell to be a starter next year....that's just how we roll. But that said, we still need to add CB in the draft - likely two of them

Thats a good argument.

Rams value punting. They paid Hekker good coin. They will draft one if they like one.

Punters effect the game a lot.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
As far as RB are concerned, I would love to have a big rb, who will break tackles and fall forward. Was my only real criticism of Akers, he tries very hard, but is not quite able to consistently get hard yards against good fronts.

Unfortunately do not think we will do so, McVay tends to prefer big play potential vs consistent yards. We didn't resign CJ, probably will not reign Michel, and we didn't play Michel much after Akers came back, even after he had a great month beforehand.

I just want us to keep another bruiser and wear defenses down.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think they’re fine at TE this year. If Harris doesn’t look the part after this season, then I think a TE could be drafted. Higbee and Blanton will get most of the snaps this year.

I wasn’t as dire when it came to the OL last year and this as I’ve been in the past, but I really wanted a Center from a draft that featured a few. That being said, I don’t see the Rams going out of their way, at least not early, to draft OL this year.

DL. Here is my biggest concern for the 2nd straight year. Going into 2021, Gaines had yet to blossom, Brockers and Fox left, and we got next to nothing from playoff star ARob.
Now SJD is gone, and we just don’t know if BB3 and the others are ready. We don’t get to see them as much on STs, so it comes down to what they showed in practices.

Secondary: I agree with your assessment at Safety—it’s not a priority; however, the Rams do like drafting/signing them and letting them develop. CB is something different. Long and Rochelle can use some competition, but I would not rule out a trade/signing after camp if the Rams don’t like what they saw from the aforementioned.

RBs will be brought into camp one way or the other. No way the Rams stand pat.

Am I the only one who is kind of excited to see who replaces the legendary Johnny Hekker?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Rams will undoubtedly use a shotgun approach while taking BPA’s at every pick.

Many positions will be selected but when the dust settles I can practically guarantee that these positions will be among them in no particular order.

RB (one will be drafted every year for the foreseeable future)
Punter (too good a crop to wait for UDFA’s)
CB (another position that probably gets drafted every year)
Edge (probably, depending on FA or trade there before draft)

After those it gets iffy for me. Bring in them BPA’s, Les!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I believe without blocking for Stafford and our running game the offense becomes moot.

I think should they address one or two other things via trade or free agency they will go:

- Cornerback/defensive back

-OL to keep pipeline going and possibly find a diamond in the rough last thing you want is to start the season and ever have a defiency at the o-line. Offense will never play to its ability let alone an injured stafford or any major injury derails chances of running it back pretty quickly. Cant ever factor injury but it happens.

OL to me is crucial. Stafford shouod always be afforded the same luxuries as the other two clowns Rodgers and Brady!!!!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I get what you are trying to say, but they called a dude that was retired for 2 years to come off his couch and start for them in the playoffs. Hard to make a legitimate case that safety isn’t a need

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get what you are trying to say, but they called a dude that was retired for 2 years to come off his couch and start for them in the playoffs. Hard to make a legitimate case that safety isn’t a need

Only because both starting safeties were injured.

Would love to hear the team who could lose both starting safeties and not have to sign one

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DC Morris has a truckload of Strong Safeties & Hybrid SS/WSILB'ers Only 1 Deep/Free Safety who will be a UFA in March this time in 2023.

DC Morris might have some big issues if FS Nick Scott goes down for any length of time.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Only because both starting safeties were injured.

Would love to hear the team who could lose both starting safeties and not have to sign one
1. theres a difference in signing someone, and signing a dude thats been retired for 2 years off the couch
2. with the new practice squad rules that were in place, youd think they would have had 2 backup safeties somewhere on their roster between actual roster and the practice squad, if safety was in fact not a need.
3. are we magically safe from injuries to both starting safeties next year now? im not sure how you can make a case that they dont need to add another safety at some point

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

But even more disturbing to me are that Rams fans on this site seem to be making the same mistake.

The Rams model is to find players that do something well, then develop them. Nick Scott is a great example of this - he was an ace special teamer and has developed into an actual playable safety. Last year he displayed both range and the ability to pop a receiver at times.

The NFL - and really, all professional sports leagues - rely on development from one year to the next. When someone flashes what Scott flashed last year, that potential can turn into consistency with the right coaching staff.

So why do some Rams fans think safety is a need? Because some of us are just refusing to accept that role players are a thing. The other thing to consider is that both getting playing time in a limited capacity (Funk) and being on the roster but getting none (Garrett) are positives for rookies, and this coaching staff has flat out PROVEN that they know what they're doing. So what, exactly, do we know?

We'll ignore QB - although it's worth noting that with Wolford and Perkins, there is zero chance we will be adding a QB - and WR for obvious reasons.

OL - Havenstein, Shelton, Allen, Edwards, Noteboom, Jackson, Anchrum, Evans - we know that those 8 are likely to make the roster next year and that group includes at least two players that can play a given position - this means that, despite ROD threatening to jump off a ledge again........it's possible the Rams ignore OL again in the draft. Don't forget that this is the same group as last year minus Corbett and Whitworth - and last year we were facing three FA OL AND Whit likely retiring. So it may not stress the Rams out that Hav, Edwards and Evans will all hit FA next year - I think it's 50/50 that we actually draft an offensive lineman this year, and that's okay - much to the chagrin of this board, any offensive lineman drafted would be for the future, NOT for 2022

DL - AD, Gaines, Robinson, Brown, Hoecht, Copeland - this is the group that will make the team, but the Rams seem to like giving Eric Henderson someone to mold and develop in the background - I'd guess DL is on the priority UDFA radar, but not a draft pick

EDGE - Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, Garrett - probably the most divisive group - could go either way. What I want to point out is that this exact group - swapping Garrett for Obo - was getting pressure before we acquired Von. I think the biggest disagreement is on Hollins - he's a good role player though and is capable of starting for us - I think it's more likely we get a vet FA signing ala Melvin Ingram than we do going the draft route this year

ILB - Jones, Howard, Rozeboom - we obviously need a body or two here - IF we sign Wagner, I'd imagine the rotation will just be Jones, Wagner and Howard with Rozeboom playing special teams - but with that up in the air, I think we end up spending a draft pick here

S - the main reason I wanted to talk about role players - we have four of them here, and this is a position group we should absolutely ignore until UDFA. We showed we can find them and have some on other teams rosters; having a 5th safety would be good, but it should be an UDFA

So where does that leave our draft picks - or in other words - what are the positions most likely to be picked?

RB
TE
ILB
CB (2)

These would be the biggest needs, which leaves some flexibility for OL, EDGE and DL if wanted
Needs are at depth positions where the depth is not very good, or the starters are lacking in certain areas. Also where players will be moving on.

Safety - Scott is more physically gifted than Fuller but switched to safety late in his college career. Fuller is heady but physically limited. As free safeties go neither is great. Scott and Rapp will be free agents. Burgess is small and apparently doesn't have Morris' faith.

Corner - Ramsey is great. Long and Deayon are backup level small guys. Rochelle is unknown due to inexperience. The big issue here is to replace the loss of Williams with a starter level corner. Depth is lacking as is tackling ability. Big need. I'd hope they take two in the draft.

Linebacker - A better edge rusher who is healthy would be great.

Running back - depth/health. Anyone picked here could be starting at some point in the season. I'd prefer they invest in a more durable feature back to share carries. Funk and Michel both have knee issues. Henderson will be a free agent.

Guard/Center - They've got depth here but if Evans is the best of the group then they need to draft someone. Plus Edwards is a free agent next year.

Tight end - They lost Mundt. If Higbee gets injured they need a good backup to take his place. Blanton nor Hopkins are good blocking tight ends. Another potential starter is needed

QB - if they can draft a better backup I'd love it. Does anyone have faith that the backups or run game can carry this team if Stafford gets an injury?

Defensive line - a possibility since Ernest Brown was on the practice squad. If Gaines goes they may want competition for Bobby Brown inside.

So my priorities are
Corner x 2
Tight End
Guard
Running back
Safety

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Needs are at depth positions where the depth is not very good, or the starters are lacking in certain areas. Also where players will be moving on.

Safety - Scott is more physically gifted than Fuller but switched to safety late in his college career. Fuller is heady but physically limited. As free safeties go neither is great. Scott and Rapp will be free agents. Burgess is small and apparently doesn't have Morris' faith.

Corner - Ramsey is great. Long and Deayon are backup level small guys. Rochelle is unknown due to inexperience. The big issue here is to replace the loss of Williams with a starter level corner. Depth is lacking as is tackling ability. Big need. I'd hope they take two in the draft.

Linebacker - A better edge rusher who is healthy would be great.

Running back - depth/health. Anyone picked here could be starting at some point in the season. I'd prefer they invest in a more durable feature back to share carries. Funk and Michel both have knee issues. Henderson will be a free agent.

Guard/Center - They've got depth here but if Evans is the best of the group then they need to draft someone. Plus Edwards is a free agent next year.

Tight end - They lost Mundt. If Higbee gets injured they need a good backup to take his place. Blanton nor Hopkins are good blocking tight ends. Another potential starter is needed

QB - if they can draft a better backup I'd love it. Does anyone have faith that the backups or run game can carry this team if Stafford gets an injury?

Defensive line - a possibility since Ernest Brown was on the practice squad. If Gaines goes they may want competition for Bobby Brown inside.

So my priorities are
Corner x 2
Tight End
Guard
Running back
Safety
Forgot edge on your list.