Let’s take a look at some defensive rankings that may surprise you

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
#2 in sacks
#3 in completion % allowed
#5 in points allowed
#5 in takeaways
#5 in qb rating allowed
#7 in passing yds allowed
#7 in passing yards per attempt
#8 in total first downs allowed

giphy.gif

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There were a couple of weak games (49ers, Eagles, 1st half vs. Dallas), and they have had a few bad plays versus the run (I say plays and not games, because it doesn't seem to be the whole game - see Jville, Saints).

But, by and large, this is just a talented group doing talented things under the leadership of a talented coach.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All that is awesome.

What's funny is that our average run yards allowed isn't good.

But if you look at the median, we're a pretty stingy run defense. We've just let a few big runs skew the average.

median means more than the mean (average) in game situations.

What I mean is this:

If the median run is 2 yards with a 30:1 chance of a 70 yard run, then if a team can't get that big run, they won't be able to use the run to set up the pass or vice versa.

If the median run is 6 yards with a 100:1 chance of a 70 yard run, then a team won't need to rely on the big run because the running game is successful simply chugging along, chewing clock and getting first downs.

Our D has a low median and a poor mean.

I'd take that over a high median and low mean ANYDAY!!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
All that is awesome.

But if you look at the median, we're a pretty stingy run defense. We've just let a few big runs skew the average.

What I mean is this:

If the median run is 2 yards with a 30:1 chance of a 70 yard run, then if a team can't get that big run, they won't be able to use the run to set up the pass or vice versa.

If the median run is 6 yards with a 100:1 chance of a 70 yard run, then a team won't need to rely on the big run because the running game is successful simply chugging along, chewing clock and getting first downs.

That's an excellent observation. Our run D is actually pretty good most of the time, just a little inconsistent. Then again, I don't think we've given up a huge run since the Saints game, sot there's that ...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good God you would think the Rams defense is being coordinated by one of the best DC's in the NFL.
10109025-nfl-los-angeles-rams-ota.jpeg

Texram

UDFA
That's an excellent observation. Our run D is actually pretty good most of the time, just a little inconsistent. Then again, I don't think we've given up a huge run since the Saints game, sot there's that ...
All that is awesome.

What I mean is this:

I think that is a function of the linebackers we put out there. They aren't big run stuffers. We excel in pursuit especially in pass situations. I'd rather win third down than stuff first down imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I'm a big fan of an elite run D. Ours ain't there, but what is important is they stop the run when they need to. Teams have not been able to run it consistently on us late in games, even teams like the Saints who have elite run games.

So going into the playoffs it's a concern, but at least we're not going into the playoffs with a high points against. Rams overall meet almost all the metrics you want to see, in all three phases.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The scary part is that there’s room for improvement. CB depth for example although Troy Hill might have something to say about that after Sunday.

I love how much Wade Phillips enjoys what he does even though he’s been doing it since the dawn of time.

HellRam

Starter
I'm a big fan of an elite run D. Ours ain't there, but what is important is they stop the run when they need to. Teams have not been able to run it consistently on us late in games, even teams like the Saints who have elite run games.

So going into the playoffs it's a concern, but at least we're not going into the playoffs with a high points against. Rams overall meet almost all the metrics you want to see, in all three phases.

Good way of putting it.

I think what I'm most interested in seeing is how Quinn and the run D finish off they year. Especially this week. The Titans have a good o-line to go with some good rushers. Quinn can really earn his money by how he ends this season IMO.

Love the Rams secondary.

TexasRam

Legend
Look at the sack production from our OLBers:

Quinn 8.5
Barwin 5.0
Longacre 5.5
Ebukam 2.0

That’s 21 sacks from our two DE spots

That’s like having two OLB each with 10.5 sacks and our DT with 11 sacks with two games to play vs some bad offenses.

Imagine going into the playoffs with a DT with 14 sacks and two OLBers with 12 sacks each.

That’s scary.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
#2 in sacks
#3 in completion % allowed
#5 in points allowed
#5 in takeaways
#5 in qb rating allowed
#7 in passing yds allowed
#7 in passing yards per attempt
#8 in total first downs allowed

giphy.gif
" Well ... I give Wade two more weeks to improve these stats, or He's Fired!!"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good God you would think the Rams defense is being coordinated by one of the best DC's in the NFL.

And that cannot be said enough times, he's simply a wizard.

One thing that has me feeling good about the playoffs is ST's and the ability to run the ball. And I would even include Gurley in the very short passing game as part of the rushing attack. He's averaging almost 12 YPC.

He's going to finish with over 700 yards receiving. Those of us wanting to see him used more in the passing game got our wish. He's already exceeded his career numbers in every passing stat.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
10109025-nfl-los-angeles-rams-ota.jpeg

Now... THERE'S some gray hairs!

He's seen it all... been through all the ringers... there is no substitute for experience.

McVay was very smart to make sure he got Phillips!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
there is no substitute for experience.

The thing about experience that is most valuable is that it teaches you what not to do.

And when we think about that it's good because really he hasn't called any bad games outside of the 49ers very early in the season and the Eagles game.

So he's learning what he can and can't do with these players and that's going to make this team dangerous in the playoffs.

Defense travels well. So does the run game. And ST's.

JackStraw

Rookie
I love everything about our defense besides John Johnson. He continues to leave me shaking my head. We need him to get his shit together - he's playing a very important position for this defense.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I love everything about our defense besides John Johnson. He continues to leave me shaking my head. We need him to get his crap together - he's playing a very important position for this defense.
I think John Johnson isn't so physical....but, for a rookie he is very good in coverage---tons better than TM Mac ever was!!!!. He is smart, knows where to be, but he isn't so fast, but fast enough.. He was a hair off in coverage against Philly, a lot. But, that happens to rookies. He is not a SS, but a FS playing SS. So, we get the benefit of his coverage ability and Joyners, too.....it is great to have him.

JackStraw

Rookie
I think John Johnson isn't so physical....but, for a rookie he is very good in coverage---tons better than TM Mac ever was!!!!. He is smart, knows where to be, but he isn't so fast, but fast enough.. He was a hair off in coverage against Philly, a lot. But, that happens to rookies. He is not a SS, but a FS playing SS. So, we get the benefit of his coverage ability and Joyners, too.....it is great to have him.
Sure but compare his tackling to say NRC....

Kid is okay in coverage I guess but he's letting RBs get 4-8 extra yards and the rush defense is suffering, at the moment. I'm not going to right him off any time this season but having potential isn't exactly a promising compliment

I really do hope he ends up above average(I'd be thrilled if he gets to the point where IMO he is more talented than TJ Mac) considering he was drafted by this regime and is sort of the canary in the coal mine. As is Ebukam, who I can't say enough good things about.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing about experience that is most valuable is that it teaches you what not to do.

And when we think about that it's good because really he hasn't called any bad games outside of the 49ers very early in the season and the Eagles game.

So he's learning what he can and can't do with these players and that's going to make this team dangerous in the playoffs.

Defense travels well. So does the run game. And ST's.
Agree!

MacVay will learn as time goes by... my point is that it really hasn't been very long at all (i.e. a learning curve) for his as Head Coach.

The learning will continue, hence some hiccoughs... but I look at Phillips and see all that experience brings to success.

This should only get better!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agree!

MacVay will learn as time goes by... my point is that it really hasn't been very long at all (i.e. a learning curve) for his as Head Coach.

The learning will continue, hence some hiccoughs... but I look at Phillips and see all that experience brings to success.

This should only get better!

It hasn't been long at all and he shows his level of maturity each and every week.

Other than the stupid 4th down call last week the game was flawless on his part.

I hope WP is grooming someone on the staff to take over when he retires, as a person and DC he is irreplaceable but hopefully he's getting someone ready.

McVay, Phillips and Fassel, along with Goff and Snead, give me tremendous confidence in the future.