Let’s slot the AFC East Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bills look like the cream of the crop in the AFC East… But the Patriots and Dolphins have a lot of positive off-season momentum.

How do you rank this division?

A0DDD1FD-90BE-4230-9896-0861FD930562.png

The Bills - a consensus Superbowl pick.

The Patriots - There has been LOTS of buzz around Mac Jones this off-season “working hard”. Training with teammates but also hitting the gym… he looks considerably less doughy physically. The Patriots might have found a franchise QB in Jones… he certainly wants it bad enough.

The Dolphins - Tyreek was their splash move. Who is buying Tua? Me… that arm strength might keep him in the Teddy Bridgewater class of QB’s.

The Jets - A year after drafting Wilson, there should be more buzz around this team, but there isn’t.

On to ranking them… I am sticking with the 2021 sequence;

Bills
Patriots
Dolphins
Jets

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffalo Bills

Biggest strength: The only two quarterbacks with a higher PFF grade than Josh Allen over the past two seasons are Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. The physical tools were always there, but Allen has managed to add the accuracy that was missing during his first few years in the league. Allen's development is the primary reason the Bills enter the 2022 season as Super Bowl favorites, though general manager Brandon Beane and the rest of this front office deserve credit for building a complete roster.

Biggest weakness: The right side of Buffalo's offensive line has some potential with Ryan Bates and Spencer Brown, but neither has much experience. Bates earned a 64.4 PFF grade in five starts at left guard in 2021 -- his first season with over 100 offensive snaps -- and Brown came away from his rookie season last year with a 59.3 PFF pass-blocking grade from 846 offensive snaps. The Bills are banking on those two growing together on the right side, but it could be a weak point.

X factor for 2022: The version of Von Miller that helped fuel a Super Bowl run for the Los Angeles Rams last season is still one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL. Across those four postseason games, Miller recorded 22 quarterback pressures (one shy of Aaron Donald's 23) to go along with a playoff-high 92.6 PFF pass-rushing grade. The Bills will be hoping that Miller can maintain that level of play and avoid injuries in his age-3

New England Patriots

Biggest strength: New England's secondary has its concerns, but it also has one of the deeper safety groups in the NFL. Devin McCourty and Adrian Phillips both finished last season as top-12 safeties in PFF's wins above replacement metric, and Kyle Dugger is essentially a third starter at the position. Dugger improved his PFF coverage grade by over 20 points in his second season out of Lenoir-Rhyne while playing nearly 750 defensive snaps. The Patriots quadrupled down on the position this offseason by adding Jabrill Peppers to the group, as well.

Biggest weakness: The Patriots' starting outside cornerbacks are Jalen Mills and either Terrance Mitchell or the recently unretired Malcolm Butler, as things stand right now. That talent doesn't line up with what New England has done on defense in recent years, including last season, when it ranked second in Cover 1 rate. It doesn't require much imagination to see that cornerback group getting exposed in a man-heavy scheme. That could force the Patriots into more zone coverage in 2022.

X factor for 2022: Last offseason, the Patriots offered tight end Jonnu Smith a four-year, $50 million contract with over $30 million guaranteed. Smith proceeded to run just 158 routes (52nd most at the tight end position) and post fewer receiving yards than Albert Okwuegbunam, Durham Smythe and Dan Arnold despite appearing in 16 games. That's not the kind of return on investment that the Patriots were looking for, and they'll be looking for more from Smith this season.

Miami Dolphins

Biggest strength: The speed Miami can put on the field with Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle at wide receiver, Mike Gesicki at tight end and Raheem Mostert at running back should be a frightening proposition for opposing defenses. That speed obviously poses a downfield threat, but its biggest impact might come via Tua Tagovailoa operating as a point guard while Miami's playmakers create explosive plays with the ball in their hands. Hill and Waddle were both top-12 wide receivers in the NFL last season in yards after the catch.

Biggest weakness: The right side of the Dolphins' offensive line will have a lot of highly drafted talent available to fill two starting spots, but that talent has yet to establish itself in the form of quality NFL starters. Robert Hunt, Liam Eichenberg and Austin Jackson were all drafted with top-40 picks in the past three offseasons, but none has cracked a 70.0 PFF grade as of yet. Right tackle is the biggest concern, assuming Hunt remains at right guard. Eichenberg and Jackson have combined for a 46.3 pass-blocking grade when lined up at tackle in the NFL.

X factor for 2022: Few quarterbacks have been criticized as much as Tagovailoa, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2020 draft. Tagovailoa has been asked to operate behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league across his first two NFL seasons, but his lack of big-play ability is still concerning. His 2.3% big-time throw rate -- defined as well-placed passes downfield or into tight windows -- ranks 30th out of 32 qualifying quarterbacks since 2020. The Dolphins have done a good job of surrounding him with more talent this offseason. Now, it's on him to produce in a make-or-break year.

New York Jets

Biggest strength: Robert Saleh's defenses in San Francisco were known for deep D-lines that could generate consistent pressure without the blitz. It's clear that he is trying to accomplish something similar in New York. Carl Lawson is expected to return at full strength after tearing his Achilles tendon in his first offseason with the team. Lawson earned an 84.9 pass-rushing grade with 64 quarterback pressures (sixth in NFL) in his final season with the Bengals in 2020. He joins John Franklin-Myers, first-round pick Jermaine Johnson II and Jacob Martin in an edge rotation that has starting-quality depth.

Biggest weakness: New York has done a good job of plugging the glaring holes on its roster over the past few offseasons. Linebacker still stands out as a position where the team needs to be better in 2022, though. Returning starters C.J. Mosley and Quincy Williams both earned sub-45 PFF grades last season, stemming largely from how they performed against the run.

X factor for 2022: The Jets have set up quarterback Zach Wilson to have success in 2022. Whether he takes advantage of the talent that has been added around him this offseason will play a large role in determining if New York is able to improve on its four wins from a season ago. Wilson didn't look comfortable inside the structure of the Jets' offense as a rookie, holding onto the ball for 3.05 seconds on average (fourth highest in NFL) and recording a 54.8 PFF passing grade (third lowest).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

David Andrews: Mac Jones works his butt off every day, that’s what you want in a QB​

The Patriots have some time off before reporting to training camp later this month, but quarterback Mac Jones has not been spending his time on a beach.

Like many other quarterbacks, Jones has used the time to set up workouts with teammates. Wide receivers Nelson Agholor and Tre Nixon caught passes from Jones in California last week and center David Andrews said on 98.5 The Sports Hub that he wasn’t surprised to see Jones putting in that work because it’s the same approach he’s had throughout his time in New England.

“The kid’s a hard worker,” Andrews said, via Conor Roche of Boston.com. “He works his butt off, day in and day out. Sometimes I just try to get him to take a deep breath. But that’s what you want out of your quarterback. He works really hard. He’s a tough kid. It’s been fun for me the last year, year and a half, to get to know him. I’ve got a lot of respect for how he does things and how he carries himself.”

Andrews has had plenty of company singing Jones’ praises this offseason. If that continues into the season, the Patriots offense should be in good shape.

View: https://twitter.com/courtneyfallon_/status/1542696698740367360?s=21&t=XIJTRVglUSVt4GiZ5rZsfA

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

David Andrews: Mac Jones works his butt off every day, that’s what you want in a QB​

The Patriots have some time off before reporting to training camp later this month, but quarterback Mac Jones has not been spending his time on a beach.

Like many other quarterbacks, Jones has used the time to set up workouts with teammates. Wide receivers Nelson Agholor and Tre Nixon caught passes from Jones in California last week and center David Andrews said on 98.5 The Sports Hub that he wasn’t surprised to see Jones putting in that work because it’s the same approach he’s had throughout his time in New England.

“The kid’s a hard worker,” Andrews said, via Conor Roche of Boston.com. “He works his butt off, day in and day out. Sometimes I just try to get him to take a deep breath. But that’s what you want out of your quarterback. He works really hard. He’s a tough kid. It’s been fun for me the last year, year and a half, to get to know him. I’ve got a lot of respect for how he does things and how he carries himself.”

Andrews has had plenty of company singing Jones’ praises this offseason. If that continues into the season, the Patriots offense should be in good shape.

View: https://twitter.com/courtneyfallon_/status/1542696698740367360?s=21&t=XIJTRVglUSVt4GiZ5rZsfA

A far cry from there further with Cam Newton. Thanks Shanahan

Just glad he is not a Niner. To think Da Bears could have had them & passed on Mahomes for Mitch.Where is any consistency? Just my thoughts on dumb GM’s,but glad to have McSnead running the show.

I was a Draftnik,but now more of a Fan again that gets to watch the development of Ram players.

My point or imo I’ve seen some cool Brian Song type relationships watching The Rams players over the years of late(since practicing in Cali) going through the St.Louis days with the likes of Brockers & Ogletree.Those to players we’re leaders & helped mentoring before Mcvay got to town.
Cooper Kupp & Bobby Trees we’re a classic.Littleton & Hager we’re always pushing each other doing LBer & special team drills together. Brockers & Fox we’re together when AD99 was in contract holdouts.Big Whit has always groomed Big Rob Hav to take his place as a team leader.Then again his little Bro has been Joe Noteboom,who has been just a pure sponge over his 4years as a Ram.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Buffalo Bills....They are strong on offense & defense and their fan base is as loyal as their is in the NFL, they will be a tough out for anyone and very well could be representing the AFC in the Super Bowl.
  2. Miami Dolphins...They will have their ups & downs with new Head Coach Mike McDaniel, but there are weapons on offense and now it lies in Tua's hands for their success.
  3. New England Patriots....I expect a sit down after this season with owner Robert Kraft and William Stephen Belichick because the New England Patriots are a shell of their former selves.
  4. New York Jets...It's all predicated on the growth of Zach Wilson and I did not see any last season. They had a very good draft, but once again Jet fans will hope to be competitive as victories will be few.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
A lot of people thought New England had an excellent 2021 season.

After not making the playoffs in 2020, and watching Tom Brady win a Super Bowl in Tampa, the Patriots spent big in Free Agency; and rolled with a rookie QB. Making the Playoffs in 2021 seemed like an accomplishment.

Bob Kraft might not agree. He has said that just making the playoffs is not enough. The Pats have not won a playoff-game since the 2018 Super Bowl; and Kraft expects and wants playoff victories.

Personally, while I think New England is good, I don’t think the Patriots even make the post-season this year in a stacked AFC. If they do make it, I don’t see them winning a game.

There are 13 teams in the AFC with legitimate playoff-expectations, and only 7 will make it. Most will not be happy just qualifying for the post-season.

When teams disappoint, changes are made. After a fun 2022 regular season, the 2023 off-season could be a lot of fun.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A lot of people thought New England had an excellent 2021 season.

After not making the playoffs in 2020, and watching Tom Brady win a Super Bowl in Tampa, the Patriots spent big in Free Agency; and rolled with a rookie QB. Making the Playoffs in 2021 seemed like an accomplishment.

Bob Kraft might not agree. He has said that just making the playoffs is not enough. The Pats have not won a playoff-game since the 2018 Super Bowl; and Kraft expects and wants playoff victories.

Personally, while I think New England is good, I don’t think the Patriots even make the post-season this year in a stacked AFC. If they do make it, I don’t see them winning a game.

There are 13 teams in the AFC with legitimate playoff-expectations, and only 7 will make it. Most will not be happy just qualifying for the post-season.

When teams disappoint, changes are made. After a fun 2022 regular season, the 2023 off-season could be a lot of fun.
Good point about the AFC having a lot of competition for the playoffs… The Patriots could get squeezed out.

When I look at their roster, I am like “Who is that? Oh… yeah”. They don’t have a lot of big names anymore.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Good point about the AFC having a lot of competition for the playoffs… The Patriots could get squeezed out.
Surprises happen (last year’s Bengals won a mere six games combined the prior two seasons; and the 2017 Rams) but are not that common.

It’s early but in the AFC, the Jets, Jags and Texans appear to be extreme long shots to make the playoffs. In the NFC, I would put the Giants, Bears, Lions, Panthers, Falcons and Seahawks in that category. That’s twice as many; and I could see several NFC teams that would consider just making the post season a success (Washington and Minnesota).

Over in the AFC, outside of maybe Pittsburgh and Cleveland, if Watson misses a bunch of games, I think the other teams have expectations to not just make the playoffs but to win a post-season game. The math doesn’t allow for it.

Denver, Baltimore, Indianapolis and the Chargers all expect to be playoff teams this season. OK, if they all make it, four playoff teams from last year can not make it this year.

The Titans, Raiders and Patriots all lost their opening playoff game last year. I’m thinking they all are looking to do better this season, and win a playoff game. I’m not sure those three teams even make the post-season this year. That may not go over too well with their ownership, fans and local media.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bills for sure should be top dog. But the Dolphins have a ways to go and questions at QB. Patriots have a solid QB going into year two with an unselfish group of wideouts and a defense that gave up 19.4 last year.

Question for me is whether the Dolphins or Jets end up in the cellar. Jets QB was still struggling late last season so they're probably the team but we'll see. Will go Bills > Pats > Dolphins > Jets. I think they're a 2 playoff team division.