Let Me Upgrade Ya

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/7/4305754/let-me-upgrade-ya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/7/4 ... upgrade-ya</a>

While several teams throughout the NFL have inked new deals with their host cities, the St. Louis Rams are still twiddling their thumbs waiting for something to happen.

NewCowboysStadium_cropped_medium.jpg

Top Tier: See above.

In 1994, the Los Angeles Rams began making moves, prompted by then owner Gerorgia Frontiere and poor ticket sales, to come "home" to St. Louis. The Ed was completely paid for with tax payer dollars. At the time, this wasn't so unusual. Many teams were funded with a majority of tax payer dollars, as they are today. People literally held rallies in the streets of St. Louis, cheering Georgia's name, and praising the team for filling the football void left by the Cardinals, now in Arizona, in 1988. The Ed was already being built before the decision was finalized by the league, after Georgia sued the National Football League in court under anti-trust provisions. Everything was looking up for the Ram's, who hadn't been relevant in the last few years.

Fast forward to the spring of 2013, and the Rams are still playing in the Edward Jones Dome. Sure, the CVC has paid for upgrades along the way to honor their part of the deal to keep the Ed in the top tier of NFL venues, but the facility is aging, and upgrades are only going to provide top tier status for so long. Eventually the Ed will have to be gutted and rebuilt to satisfy the lease agreement. Owner Stan Kroenke has said many times that he wants to keep the Rams is St. Louis, however the 2015 deadline is right around the corner. Many other teams have been able to work out deals with their host cities to ensure they are playing in a top-of-the-line facility; giving the Rams even more leverage to broker a deal for either a redesigned Ed, or a completely new facility altogether. Considering the versatility of such a facility to the city of St. Louis, officials would do well to heed the writing on the wall. The Ed has played host to countless conventions, concerts, college sporting events, and other large scale events over the years, providing the city with mountains of revenue, and more importantly to the voter - jobs. The Ed has also hosted five playoff games, including two NFC championship games.

The Rams are a young up and coming team, with new coaching staff and management. The team hasn't been this exciting in nearly a decade, and is sure to start drawing sold-out crowds and national television exposure. It's nearing time - past time in the eyes of many - for the CVC and Stan Kroenke to iron out a deal that can be beneficial to both sides. While Stan Kroenke doesn't want to move the Rams again, he has the money and the influence to make it happen. 2015 isn't getting any further away. Before too long, the St. Louis Rams will be saying, "show me the money, or show me the door."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Dolphins don't have a long-term lease with the city either.

And there ARE actual Dolphins in Cali.
Just sayin'.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Don't forget Shahid Khan,akshully none of the Fla teams are doing all that well P&L wise.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm having trouble posting for some reason......

Anyway the Rams are the only team SK owns that don't play in a venue he owns. That's gonna change. I posted a question to Demoff in a Herd chat about that and he said all options are on the table. I took that to mean SK wants his own place.

There is as much money to be made owning the venue as there is off of the team. Part of the reason SK has so much money is the venues. Also part of the reason he is in Denver was the opportunity to buy the hockey team basketball team and The Pepsi Center.

My feeling is he wants the negotiations to fail so he can build a facility and seriously cash in.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
I'm having trouble posting for some reason......

Anyway the Rams are the only team SK owns that don't play in a venue he owns. That's gonna change. I posted a question to Demoff in a Herd chat about that and he said all options are on the table. I took that to mean SK wants his own place.

There is as much money to be made owning the venue as there is off of the team. Part of the reason SK has so much money is the venues. Also part of the reason he is in Denver was the opportunity to buy the hockey team basketball team and The Pepsi Center.

My feeling is he wants the negotiations to fail so he can build a facility and seriously cash in.
YUP and there is a serious amount of land FREE for the taking where the old Chrysler plant was .
I superimposed the stadium footprint and there is enough land there to build ten stadiums.
It's walking distance from Troutboys house.
I think he'd have to have a canoe though cuz I'm pretty sure he'd need to cross the Meramec River.

The development possibilities there with the stadium as an anchor are IMO too good for him to pass up.
One of the things I also think is pretty salient is that St.Louis has one of the first "soccer towns" It's huge there to the point it hurts HS football.
IOW Stan + NFL plus soccer team from England playing some games in the Good Ol'

Yeah I think yer on the right track there Lesterine :sly: