Les Snead says Sean McVay puts 'probably too much blame on himself'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Les Snead says Sean McVay puts 'probably too much blame on himself'

“I think if you know Sean, he will put probably too much blame on himself, but that’s just his DNA, that’s just his nature,” Snead said on ESPN’s “The Sedano Show.” “That’s what he does and I think that’s what makes him really good because he’ll self-reflect and then try to actually apply some of the lessons that he feels like he’s learned. There’s some big-picture elements into that. We’ve been very, very successful the last two years, but we’ve only been to one Super Bowl and it was a lot of ours first Super Bowl.

Go to Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In Sean McVay’s first season as head coach of the Los Angeles Rams, he was complimented by players for holding everyone accountable – himself included. Aaron Donald said he loved that about McVay, which was a stark contrast from Jeff Fisher’s days at the helm.

McVay is never shy about taking the blame for a loss or letdown, which is exactly what he did after the Super Bowl. He was quick to say he “got outcoached” by Bill Belichick and was a reason the offense struggled, failing to put his players in positions to succeed.

Recently, he said he may have watched too much film after having two weeks to prepare. Les Snead didn’t necessarily disagree with that notion, saying McVay often puts too much blame on himself.

“I think if you know Sean, he will put probably too much blame on himself, but that’s just his DNA, that’s just his nature,” Snead said on ESPN’s “The Sedano Show.” “That’s what he does and I think that’s what makes him really good because he’ll self-reflect and then try to actually apply some of the lessons that he feels like he’s learned. There’s some big-picture elements into that. We’ve been very, very successful the last two years, but we’ve only been to one Super Bowl and it was a lot of ours first Super Bowl.

“You do have two weeks to prepare for a game, so more than your normal one week. So there’s some reality to that, but I do think at the end of the day, Sean’s going to put a lot of pressure on himself, he’s going to take a lot of blame and that’s one of the things he thought he did. I think it’s somewhere in-between and there’s probably some truth to it, as well.”

If McVay had to do it all over again, he’d likely prepare more like the way he does on a weekly basis when he isn’t given the extra time to study an opponent. It’s almost like having too much time to study for a test and going overboard with how much information you’re cramming into your mind.

McVay does hold others accountable, but he blames himself more often than anyone else – and Snead knows it.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny, Vermeil said something similar, that the team was too tight in his first Super Bowl, the Eagles over prepared for the Radiers and the Raiders with loosey Goosey under Tom Flores. Vermeil said if he ever got back there again, he would allow his team to soak it in and just follow regular preparation.

Belichick was unreal in that Super Bowl, the Rams did not call their play until after the 15 second mark so Belichick could not adjust, it through the offense out of rhythm, which was self evident...Need to stay true to yourself in big games, with an occasional wrinkle, but as much as I dislike the Soviet Union of Massachusetts, I have to give credit to their Czar.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I blame him. Should have come out the second half in no huddle, double tight ends, 2 minute offense. Something other than head first into the teeth of Belicheats defense. It was stubborn, something Martz would have done and did.
That said, no other coach in football I would rather have. We will be back. The Pats have lost more than a few.
I trust the guy to be one step ahead, he is special. Not just go prove it Sean.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I blame that bastid....I blame him for getting us into the playoffs two times in as many years as HC, and competed in a Super Bowl. I blame him for not dumping Jared Goff....

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I blame him. Should have come out the second half in no huddle, double tight ends, 2 minute offense. Something other than head first into the teeth of Belicheats defense. It was stubborn, something Martz would have done and did.
That said, no other coach in football I would rather have. We will be back. The Pats have lost more than a few.
I trust the guy to be one step ahead, he is special. Not just go prove it Sean.

Good insights!! McVay was outcoached, however that wasn't the only issue and he will learn from it. We all want him back.

In McVay's defense: Kupp out, Gurley limited, o-line not hitting on all cylinders were factors in the league catching up with the Rams' offense by late in the season and in the Super Bowl. The Rams still could easily have won the game if a handful of plays or non calls had gone differently. I can see why McVay must have thought until nearly the end of the game that they were one or two plays away from breaking through. But it didn't happen and NE made it happen instead.

Next time however I would like to see McVay go back to the lab and come with new stuff for a game with two weeks of prep. You can't beat Belichick running only plays he has schemed against and without a strategy of surprise and forcing him off balance.

jap

Legend
The Leprechaun will be back with a greatly augmented bag of schemes and tricks. Let all NFL opponents beware!!!

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
probably true about over-preparing.. two games we looked like dog shit was after the bye week against Philly and in the SB. He'll adjust.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
What if’s be damned; but TG not being TG...not to mention losing Kupp perhaps finally caught up with them

It is what it is

Oh...and the O-line poor performance in The SB didn’t necessarily help

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
probably true about over-preparing.. two games we looked like dog crap was after the bye week against Philly and in the SB. He'll adjust.
I thought Detroit was after the bye week?

I just looked it up. Detroit was after the bye week. Philly was after the Bears game.