Les Snead: Rams not expecting to use franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Les Snead: Rams not expecting to use franchise tag

Despite having a few potential candidates worthy of the designation, the Los Angeles Rams don’t appear inclined to utilize the franchise tag on any of their pending free agents.

Rams General Manager Les Snead said on the team’s podcast that, while plans could change, the team is not expecting to use the franchise tag.

As of today, (we) do not expect to tag, but there is a window of time and ultimately because there’s a window of time, you may get some later data points that would say it might be best to use that tool in the tool box,” Snead said, via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN.com.

Outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr., defensive end Michael Brockers, linebacker Cory Littletonand kicker Greg Zuerlein are the team’s four most prominent unrestricted free agents. While the exact amounts of the franchise tag tenders hasn’t been announced, the 2019 value for linebackers was over $15 million while defensive ends commanded over $17 million. Kickers were just shy of $5 million.

With an extension to complete for cornerback Jalen Ramsey and several other high-value contracts extended to Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald and Brandin Cooks already on the books, carrying a significant cap commitment with a franchised player could prove too prohibitive for the Rams at this stage. If they want any of their impending free agents back next season, they may have to allow them to first hit the market.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
I think Rams are banking on trying to get as many comp picks next year.

I dont assume any free agents will be resigned outside of Whit. I also think they will try to replace Greg with another kicker in the draft. Which could end up being a terrible move.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, there goes my idea of tag-and-trading Fowler.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, there goes my idea of tag-and-trading Fowler.
Mine to... Thought that was a no brainer. Could be they are trying to be player friendly for future FA/ good team rep.

Plus next yrs draft is challenged. No 1st, 4th or 5th.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Still expect a deal or two like NRC for a 4th or 5th. Maybe Everett for a 4th and change. They will want those picks to have assets to move around with on draft day while clearing about 5k in cap space.

Snead also shot down the idea of restructuring Goff's deal since it would hurt them in 21', 22', 23, etc... So that extra 5K is big.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Rams are banking on trying to get as many comp picks next year.

I dont assume any free agents will be resigned outside of Whit. I also think they will try to replace Greg with another kicker in the draft. Which could end up being a terrible move.

I hope we're not stuck on comp picks.

When you are an elite team, that's fine - but once Littleton, Fowler, Brockers, GZ sign elsewhere, we're not an elite team. We need to do everything we can to improve the roster and that includes exploring free agents.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Makes zero sense, Fowler needs to be tagged, so we can use him as trade bait or draft bait hoping for a trade not a maybe. By just letting him or Littleton go without anything for them is literally ludicrous and a bad management decision.

This has nothing to do with keeping a player happy especially if that player is leaving anyway this is business not getting anything for either player both top 15 FAs is stupid pure stupid.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

March 5th, 2020 at 8:54am CST by Sam Robinson

Multiple key Rams will be free agents March 18, and unless extension agreements commence by the start of the tampering period (March 16), they will hit the market. The Rams are not expected to use their franchise tag, GM Les Snead said (via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN.com, on Twitter).

While the ninth-year GM did not eliminate the tag as a possibility, the Rams’ major salary commitments always pointed to the team proceeding without applying tags. That makes for a less complicated offseason, factoring in the CBA’s impact on the tag process, but opens the door to multiple key defenders departing in free agency.

Dante Fowler, Michael Brockers and Cory Littleton are UFAs-to-be. Andrew Whitworth is as well, but Sean McVay expects the Pro Bowl left tackle to re-sign. It’s looking like all will be available when the new league year begins. The Rams are set to hold less than $15MM in cap space.

Los Angeles lost key role players last year, with Rodger Saffold, Lamarcus Joyner and Ndamukong Suh among those that departed after Super Bowl LIII. Another exodus may well take place.

Fowler, in particular, stands to receive major interest. The Ravens, Jaguars and Steelers are set to tag Matt Judon, Yannick Ngakoue and Bud Dupree, respectively, thus thinning out the edge rusher market. This will benefit the pass rushers that do make it to free agency. Fowler re-signed with the Rams on a one-year, $12MM contract just before 2019’s free agency period. He can expect a 2020 raise — likely from another team.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes zero sense, Fowler needs to be tagged, so we can use him as trade bait or draft bait hoping for a trade not a maybe. By just letting him or Littleton go without anything for them is literally ludicrous and a bad management decision.

This has nothing to do with keeping a player happy especially if that player is leaving anyway this is business not getting anything for either player both top 15 FAs is stupid pure stupid.

It does have something to do with limited cap space though. Franchising a player means the cap hit is reserved even if he hasn't signed the form or been traded yet. That's basically their entire cap space, which means they can't sign anybody until Fowler or Littleton is traded. It'd be nice - but unless a team commits to trading for one of them in advance, it's too risky.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes sir this is interesting. I was thinking that DF would get some serious thought on the FT or TT.

"Fowler, in particular, stands to receive major interest. The Ravens, Jaguars and Steelers are set to tag Matt Judon, Yannick Ngakoue and Bud Dupree, respectively, thus thinning out the edge rusher market. This will benefit the pass rushers that do make it to free agency. "

Might be Snead is going on the side that DF Jr. will get some seriously large contract offers. Contract offers getting close to the $20 mil a yr will almost guarantee a 2021 3rd rd CDPA. Snead currently has only 4 picks.

LA Rams 2020 free agency strategy likely 2021 comp picks
by Bret Stuter

Comp pick strategy?
The LA Rams 2021 NFL Draft appears to be rather light in terms of draft picks. Both the 2021 first-round and fourth-round picks were traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars for Jalen Ramsey. The 2021 fifth-round pick was traded to the Cleveland Browns for guard Austin Corbett. However, the Rams did pick up a 2021 fifth-round pick from the Baltimore Ravens in the deal which sent cornerback Marcus Peters to Baltimore.

Comp pick strategy?
The LA Rams 2021 NFL Draft appears to be rather light in terms of draft picks. Both the 2021 first-round and fourth-round picks were traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars for Jalen Ramsey. The 2021 fifth-round pick was traded to the Cleveland Browns for guard Austin Corbett. However, the Rams did pick up a 2021 fifth-round pick from the Baltimore Ravens in the deal which sent cornerback Marcus Peters to Baltimore.

When the interview turned towards the Rams strategy for the 2020 free agency market and using the departure of some highly paid free agents to generate 2021 compensatory draft picks, Snead claimed that he was distracted and needed the question repeated (at the 11:00 minute mark).

Snead stated that ultimately the answer is yes, the Rams are factoring in the potential for up to four 2021 compensatory draft picks in this year’s free-agent strategy. Snead discussed head coach Sean McVay’s buy-in on the comp formula strategy. He then narrated the decision to trade a second-round pick for wide receiver Sammy Watkins, understanding that he leaves at the end of the year for a potential third-round pick in the following NFL draft.

Snead repeated that the Rams cannot keep all of the good players, citing the business end of the NFL as the limiting factor. The interview seemed to confirm that the LA Rams are prepared to bite the bullet of dealing with the player-friendly highly compensating contracts by working under a very limiting budget in the 2020 NFL free agency market.

Snead loves third and fourth-round draft picks
Throughout the interview, there was a message from Snead about the value of the third and fourth-round draft picks. Snead pointed out that both Bobby Evans and Cooper Kupp were third-round selections for the LA Rams.

This strategy is difficult to adhere to at the Rams current situation of high expectations set both externally and internally. Snead acknowledged that the replacement players will likely not be as good as the ones who leave via free agency. Snead then stated that this is the phase the LA Rams are in, and that is the formula the Rams will employ this offseason. He admitted that this creates challenges this off-season.

Snead reiterated that the overall theme of the offense will be essentially the same style. But as he turned towards the Rams 2020 defense, he admitted that new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley will be asking for new types of defensive players. While he will run the 3-4 defense, Staley will be adding a great deal of versatility to the defensive looks in 2020.

We discussed the many ways Staley will unlock the full potential of All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald in 2020 by adding new looks and assignments to the defensive roles. Snead seemed to suggest that the 2020 NFL Draft will be heavily focused upon the defensive side of the ball. Snead indicated that Staley will need new types of players. That suggests the Rams will be seeking the versatile multi-position players in the 2020 NFL Draft.

With this interview, which could very likely be a complete pre-draft pre-free-agency smokescreen, Rams’ general manager Les Snead laid out a fairly austere off-season for the Rams. We’ve talked about this frugal fix scenario when discussing the offensive line. It seems like a good time to work up a frugal fix for the defense article now, as well.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Snead seems confident that the Rams and Whitford will get a deal done. Mention Bythe as a possibility.

He didn't say he would not move salary to the signing bonus for Goff but, it sounds like it wouldn't be nearly what many were expecting. Maybe, only an additional $5 Million for this year. Rams have made small moves in the past. I'm guessing and hoping they move some for help in 2020.

That makes me wonder about a trade more than before. NRC to gain cap space. Can't see them trading Woods.

If the CBA goes through they could resign Ramsey this year. I like the no timetable comment at this point. Why box both sides into a time limit at this point.

No cap space to tag Fowler could be the problem.

Snead hints to trading back in the draft referring to the history of doing so.

The Rams have had a plan for the offseason moves. Some have worked out better than others. At least we know they are always trying to get the right answers. Unfortunately, this year they have a lot of question marks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

maybe they prefer picks in the 2021 draft. they obviously need all they can get that year.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
maybe they prefer picks in the 2021 draft. they obviously need all they can get that year.

Draft picks are maybes at best we all can recite the various bust picks. I get we need some but trading for a shut down corner the best db in the league is worth it period.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I totally agree. Who knows what the market will dictate? I suppose they are that cap challenged they wont have the room to even commit the cap space once the tag is placed?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sounds like there's a decent chance we have a new CBA before the new league year. If that happens, you can only tag one, and the limits on contract structure go away, I think.