Les Snead has Los Angeles Rams in great position with cap space for 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Your right... I missed where it states 39 players. I thought it was over 51 with the recent practice squad signings.

So with 12 more bodies to add it will be less than $30M, but then again when talking about adding back Suh or Fowler or Saffold, we were not talking about deducting existing bodies off the cap. So yeah its smaller, but we are talking about adding contracts anyway which will subtract from that cap space figure accordingly. It's just that we have to account for a few more mandatory additions outside of the 6 or so vet FA's or trade acquisitions that we expect they will add.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah but...i mean the roster and cap should be crippled by now right? Goff trade, Cooks deal, Gurley deal, Peters trade, Talib, Suh money. We're surely freaked, and when we pay Goff we'll be Jared and a roster of JAGS. We only have three 6th rd draft picks this year.

FIFY

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/12/restricted-free-agent-tender-2019
December 14th, 2018 at 12:05pm CST by Zach Links
This year, it will cost nearly $4.5MM for teams to apply the first-round tender to restricted free agents, according to Joel Corry of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). The official figures won’t come out until we get closer to free agency in March, but Corry has estimated the numbers based on the assumption that the 2019 salary cap will be approximately $190MM:

• Low tender: $2.045MM
  • Second Round: $3.124MM
  • First Round: $4.449MM ______________________

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

Haven't been much talk on numbers for resigning players or redoing contracts. Rams could save cap by giving Cory a longer deal. Rookie class seems right with the 2 comp picks. Spotrack has the Rams at 4.115M without them plus UDFA signings. I guess they can get Cory at around 3 to 3.5 Million this year on a longer-term deal. Take away 5.5-6.0 M For draft class and UDFA. That leaves the Rams around 19-20 Million without any other moves from the nearly 29 Million real cap space. This is going to get very interesting as we move on in the offseason.

This is interesting stuff here. I was a little shocked @ the price tag of the 2019 first-round tender to restricted free agents. I had originally thought it was a sure thing that Cory Littleton would get a First round tender but that $4.5 million is pretty high now. That 2nd round tender saves a little less than $1 1/2 million. It would be highly unusual for a team to give up a 2nd round pick for a light tall slender 34 D MLB'er like Cory.

I would think the best way to go is to offer Cory a long term contract & let him know he would still make the calls in Wade defense but would take up the weakside interior LB'ing post instead from this point on. Cory is more of a liability playing the MLB post. Rams should be able to resign 5th yr pro UFA MLB Bryce Hager @ a low-cost contract. They also have 2nd season MLB'er Micah Kiser under contract. Snead is also looking @ drafting another MLB in the upcoming draft.

WS ILB'er Mark Barron who hasn't been healthy enough to participate in any of the OTA's/ training camps & preseasons since 2016. Plus his 2018 regular season performance was far below average. You add in that he has a cap hit in 2019 close to 10 million ........I am pretty sure Barron will be a cap relief victim before March 13th. That the same date that Cory will be advised of his designated tender type.

Rams only have 3 other RFA's to make a decision by March 13th. I see no reason that the Rams would not make a Low Tender offer to all three of them:
CB Troy Hill 28 yrs old UDFA/ Low tender: $2.045Mil. Was the top outside back up CB.
RB Malcolm Brown 26 yrs old UDFA / Low tender: $2.045Mil. Was top back up to Gurley till injured.
FS Blake Countess 26 yrs old 6th round draft pick 2016/ Low tender: $2.045Mil.Led the team in kickoff returns & was the top reserve deep safety too soon to be departed, Lamarcus Joyner.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Poor math.

Tagging Fowler would be insane. He's not worth anywhere close to $17 million - the Rams could fill multiple holes with that money. I would like the Rams to keep him, but I expect it to be for far less.
n.
Fowler was great in the playoffs, and helped in the seattle and kc games. BUt, 2 sacks in 8 games is not worth very much...and Longacre could do more....though Longacre is below avg. Fowler will NOT get a big contract. He has been in great, great D lines and not produced very much.

Love his playoff run, but his regular season has never been very good. Needs to lift weights, develop moves. THis is another Albert Haynesworth situation.....imho

Ram65

Legend
upload_2019-2-13_7-50-45.png

Note at the bottom that the 28.3 M includes the draft pool without the comp picks. If true that does change things.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View attachment 28502

Note at the bottom that the 28.3 M includes the draft pool without the comp picks. If true that does change things.
Yes, it does but not to a large degree those are only 3rd rounders & very late one to boot. Snead is sure to play some in this draft making the true cap hit of the results of his draft just a good guess @ this time.

Snead/Demoff are fully aware of needed alterations to the overall roster with the desire to bring in some cap relief ammo @ the same time improving the playing talent with future potential positive dividends.

Some obvious top cap relief contracts prospects would be Peters $9.1 mil., Barron $6.4 mil & Sullivan $4.25 mil. Those 3 would add value close to $20 million to the cap raising it back up over $52 mil. Rams have acquired high standard quality part replacement @ center. They also have acquired drafted two new inside LB'ers in order to replace the worn out Barron. However quality Cornerback part items are in very short supply.:)

Other questionable & unknown contracts are Whitworth (retirement) approx $11 mil. Brockers $11 million ( extension deal restructured). So Snead/Demoff has a few moving parts to secure or used trending downward parts that need to be disposed of.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The draft pool will have cap hits subtracted of the players the draft picks replace in the top 51.

So let's say your 1st round pick has a cap hit of 2.5M... You subtract the 500K contract who gets bumped out of the top 51. So you are adding only $2M for that 1st rounder. And that 1st rounder will be the overwhelming addition to the cap. The rest of the picks will be a wash almost with who they are replacing in the top 51.

In the end the $4.1M for 4 draft picks (before comp picks are added) means at best you replace 4 bodies from the top 51.

So 4 x 500K means $2M of cap space is deducted from that rookie pool.

In the end the rookie pool will be closer to $6M when you add in the 3 comp picks (2 - 3rds and a 7th)... but again you will subtract the cap hits of the players falling out of the top 51 when those draft picks are signed.

So $6M for 7 picks minus the 7 replaced players on the top 51 @500k per player = approx 2.5 of additional cap space needed for rookies.

In reality your 6th and 7th rounders won't even be in the top 51 as late round vets from previous years will have a higher cap numbers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The draft pool will have cap hits subtracted of the players the draft picks replace in the top 51.

So let's say your 1st round pick has a cap hit of 2.5M... You subtract the 500K contract who gets bumped out of the top 51. So you are adding only $2M for that 1st rounder. And that 1st rounder will be the overwhelming addition to the cap. The rest of the picks will be a wash almost with who they are replacing in the top 51.

In the end the $4.1M for 4 draft picks (before comp picks are added) means at best you replace 4 bodies from the top 51.

So 4 x 500K means $2M of cap space is deducted from that rookie pool.

In the end the rookie pool will be closer to $6M when you add in the 3 comp picks (2 - 3rds and a 7th)... but again you will subtract the cap hits of the players falling out of the top 51 when those draft picks are signed.

So $6M for 7 picks minus the 7 replaced players on the top 51 @500k per player = approx 2.5 of additional cap space needed for rookies.

In reality your 6th and 7th rounders won't even be in the top 51 as late round vets from previous years will have a higher cap numbers.
Yes and no, right now according to the tracker we don’t have 51 players signed. So we’re counting on the draft picks to be part of that number.

Ram65

Legend
Yes, it does but not to a large degree those are only 3rd rounders & very late one to boot. Snead is sure to play some in this draft making the true cap hit of the results of his draft just a good guess @ this time.

I was confused and thought the rookie class cap was counting against the 28.3 Mil not the 32.4 Mil number.

I guess it's hard to put an exact number on the rookie class but, 4.1 estimate Mil plus around 1.5 Mil for the two 3rd rounders is close. Trades could change things some. Still it is more than I though in my previous post. That makes it about 27.0 Mil with 39 players under contract plus figure 7 spots from the draft 46 players. Even if all don't make the roster the money will be close to who does at the bottom of the roster.

upload_2019-2-13_12-22-32.png

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well if were at approx $30M now with 39 players, 12 more JAG types will take it down to about $24M... $500K per player. The higher draft picks will shave maybe another $2.5M off that number as tgey replace a couple JAGS. So yeah we would be in the low 20's. at tgat point before any big nane re-signings or additions.

Bottom line Sullivan and Barron get us back near $34M and then will tgey restructure Brockers and Whit comes back does he get a restuctured deal?

Before I thought both Suh and Fowler would be back, now thinking both could be gone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. I'll be irked by that as well, in fact if they pay him into the low teens I'll be irritated.

Only way bringing him back makes sense is if he signs an affordable deal. Problem is teams are stupid on the market and will throw money at him because he's an edge rusher and I am sure he knows that. So does he want to stick with a staff who will coach him up through another camp and maybe get his game to really click? Or does he chase a big money up front deal.

I just don't see this guy signing a team friendly deal when he's going to finally hit his first FA look. Hope I'm wrong, but even if he returns I think ROLB is a need. We already have guys who are mediocre on the rush on this roster. Fowler has upside and talent, but the numbers are just not there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
WS ILB'er Mark Barron who hasn't been healthy enough to participate in any of the OTA's/ training camps & preseasons since 2016. Plus his 2018 regular season performance was far below average. You add in that he has a cap hit in 2019 close to 10 million ........I am pretty sure Barron will be a cap relief victim before March 13th. That the same date that Cory will be advised of his designated tender type.

Yeah with some of these guys the decision was made during the regular season. Barron being one of them. He has zero shot to return. Guaranteed cut, barring some team wanting to trade for him to play WILL in a 4-3 which is what he should be playing.

Oh and btw I still think that if Les can go get a blindside edge rusher in this draft they will try Obo at ILB during this camp. He played some off-ball LB at Oklahoma and moves pretty well, plus he's got some good size for sliding in at the SILB spot and being a primary run filler who can drop or rush. If they think he can handle that transition and Les finds our ROLB then all of a sudden we only have NT & S to fill.

And of course I think there is a good chance Safety will be filled in FA. Which means we'd have a couple third round picks to find a NT and maybe a depth OL. (y)

jjab360

Legend
Overall, I think Demoff is really the, "cap expert" more so than Snead.
Pretty much. Snead is the one who acquires the right players for McVay's vision through trade, FA, and the draft. Demoff is the one who finds a way to push the money around and make it all fit under the cap, credit where credit is due.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My two cents worth in no particular order.
First, I’d be wary of having Brown as Gurley’s backup, when you consider Gurley’s knee issue, and the fact that for the last two years Brown has not been able to finish the season. That’s why, if cheap enough I favor CJ.
Second, Mark Barron is not worth $10 million.
Third, Saffold is a must for depth purposes, plus we need a leader when Whit is gone.
Fourth, either Suh or Brockers is gone, not both. And both aren’t staying. I prefer keeping Brockers and putting 20 to 30 lbs on him and moving him back to NT. Plus he’s younger. JFM can take Brockers’ current spot.
Fifth, good-bye Joyner.
Sixth, Littleton should be back, especially when you consider his value to special teams.
Lastly, I hope Fowler is brought back, otherwise the Outside rush will stink again.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My two cents worth in no particular order.
First, I’d be wary of having Brown as Gurley’s backup, when you consider Gurley’s knee issue, and the fact that for the last two years Brown has not been able to finish the season. That’s why, if cheap enough I favor CJ.
Second, Mark Barron is not worth $10 million.
Third, Saffold is a must for depth purposes, plus we need a leader when Whit is gone.
Fourth, either Suh or Brockers is gone, not both. And both aren’t staying. I prefer keeping Brockers and putting 20 to 30 lbs on him and moving him back to NT. Plus he’s younger. JFM can take Brockers’ current spot.
Fifth, good-bye Joyner.
Sixth, Littleton should be back, especially when you consider his value to special teams.
Lastly, I hope Fowler is brought back, otherwise the Outside rush will stink again.

I mostly agree with this. A few expansions:

I think McVay likes CJ a lot, and trusts him. Unless some team blows him away, I think he's back with the Rams next year.

Barron has over $3 million in dead money, so cutting him saves $6 million plus. I expect him gone.

I suspect they try to extend Brockers to reduce his cap hit.

Does anybody expect Joyner back? While I don't expect a great pick, I do think that Joyner will get some sort of comp pick. Ditto for CJ if they can't sign him

Littleton will require the first round rfa tender. I doubt anybody signs him away. If he is signed away the Rams will have two firsts.

Fowler may be back, but he's not worth a huge bidding war. In any case, I doubt the Rams repeat the mistake of last offseason and rely on late draft picks to fill that hole.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I mostly agree with this. A few expansions:

I think McVay likes CJ a lot, and trusts him. Unless some team blows him away, I think he's back with the Rams next year.

Barron has over $3 million in dead money, so cutting him saves $6 million plus. I expect him gone.

I suspect they try to extend Brockers to reduce his cap hit.

Does anybody expect Joyner back? While I don't expect a great pick, I do think that Joyner will get some sort of comp pick. Ditto for CJ if they can't sign him

Littleton will require the first round rfa tender. I doubt anybody signs him away. If he is signed away the Rams will have two firsts.

Fowler may be back, but he's not worth a huge bidding war. In any case, I doubt the Rams repeat the mistake of last offseason and rely on late draft picks to fill that hole.
Good comments! The only area where I differ is on Littleton & Fowler will not return @ a reasonable cost.

I have moved away from my early position that "Cory Littleton should be offered the highest 1st rd tender". I see it as overkill & $4.5 million too costly.

The 2nd rd tender of $3.12 mil. looks like a solid appropriate offer. Since CL made $540K in 2018 that's a good pay increase. If CL is in a big hurry to desires more $$$ then it would drive him to sign a long term contract this year for the Rams where there is more security & guaranteed $$$ involved. This is the goal in the long term anyway. Rams can always match the other teams $$$ since they still control this process. If a team were to overpay CL in their offer, then, in the end, the Rams are awarded that teams 2nd rd draft selection 2020. That would be a highly valuable team asset.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Whit would open up alot of cap room, but i think his leadership is understated and might be more important than his play