Leonard "Gritty Boy" Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So I'll be the first to admit that his signing didn't exactly wow me. I felt like he was a nice run support addition for the strong side edge because he's a tall/rangy and physical player, but at the price point it felt a bit steep. Fast forward to camp in a season in which we know even less than we usually do (i.e. we don't have even the shitty preseason games to nuke in order to have a look at this roster) and it seems like Floyd may be ready to make some of us eat a hot plate of crow by living up to his elite (top 10) draft status.

Now we all know coach McVay has talked up guys before of course. He's a fucking coachspeak ninja and I've gotten to the point where I don't really listen too hard to what he says for that reason. But he may be telling this one true and if so, well, there's a chance this defense gets some good edge play in 2020 which will be a bit of a surprise to yours truly. :beer2: :biggrin:

View: https://twitter.com/JB_Long/status/1300803850018992129

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams ready for linebacker Leonard Floyd to ‘show what he can do’

THOUSAND OAKS — When the Rams signed Leonard Floyd in April, people who can count to three were quick to scorn the acquisition. Three is how many sacks Floyd had last season with the Chicago Bears. On the surface, that’s poor production for the top linebacker in his draft class.

One website, the oft-quoted Pro Football Focus, said getting Floyd was the Rams’ worst move of the 2020 free-agency period.

So Floyd would be entitled to express satisfaction in this fun fact: Of all of the Rams’ signings and draft choices on defense and offense this year, he’s the only one who looks certain to start in the team’s season-opening game against the Dallas Cowboys at SoFi Stadium on Sept. 13.

Floyd, who was let go by the Bears, plans to make the point not with words but with actions — and better numbers.

“I’m very confident,” Floyd, who turns 28 on Sept. 8, said of his and his new Rams teammates’ ability to get sacks this season. “We’ll just take it one day at a time, execute our game plan, and whatever happens, happens.”

He shows that confidence when he’s asked what he brings to the Rams’ defense, where he’s being asked to replace outside linebacker Dante Fowler, whose 11 1/2 sacks ranked ninth in the league.

“I think I bring versatility,” Floyd said. “(I’m) a guy that can do anything the defense needs me to do. Set the edge against the run, rush the passer, and help out in coverage.”

And he has an explanation for his low numbers in Chicago, which drafted him ninth overall in 2016 out of Georgia, and then saw his NFL sack totals slide from 7 to 4 1/2 to 4 to 3 over four seasons.

“There’s a lot of times when I’ve been very close to making that extra play for the team,” Floyd said Tuesday in a video conference with reporters. “I feel like, here in L.A., I’m going to get there. Different team, different players on the defense with me. And also I’ve got to have faith.”

Along with new teammates, Floyd has a familiar coach in new Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, the Bears’ outside linebackers coach in 2017-18.

It was under Staley that Floyd had his best NFL season in 2018. That’s one reason the Rams were quick to roll the dice on Floyd after Fowler left for the Atlanta Falcons. The Rams signed Floyd to a one-year, $10 million contract; they then got a young edge rusher, Alabama’s Terrell Lewis, in the third round of the draft.

Rams coach Sean McVay knows more than the stat-watchers.

“He’s a guy that’s always been disruptive (to an offense), and I think in a lot of instances the numbers aren’t indicative of the kind of impact that (he) can have on the game, especially when you’re talking about a versatile playmaker like him,” McVay said Monday, calling Floyd one of the “bright spots” in training camp.

Said Staley: “We are excited for him to be able to take a step forward and really get a chance to show what he can do.”

With Samson Ebukam at the other outside linebacker spot, after the Rams released Clay Matthews, Floyd will combine with All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald in the pass rush.

Those new teammates say they notice his full-tilt approach to practice, his quickness off the line and his long strides.

“The guy has a motor out of this world,” Rams defensive end Michael Brockers said. “Even AD (Donald) told me the other day, ‘Man, I love (defending against the) running game with him because he is off that ball.’ “

“He a big body, and he chews up yards when he runs,” said Rams right tackle Rob Havenstein, who has gone up against the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Floyd in practice.

Floyd faced the Rams twice as a Chicago Bear. He had no sacks, but he was credited with a hit on the quarterback in each game. The quarterback, Jared Goff, seems to remember.

Said Goff in August: “(It) has been fun to see him on my own team.”

Notes

Linebacker Travin Howard has a torn meniscus, needs surgery and is out for the season, McVay said Tuesday. It’s not a shock, based on what the coach had been saying about Howard’s injury since Saturday. Howard was competing with Troy Reeder, Micah Kiser and Kenny Young for a leading role at inside linebacker. McVay said the Rams don’t plan to look outside the team for help at the position that was weakened when Cory Littleton signed with the Raiders. “It’s really unfortunate for a guy that’s put in a lot of work, put himself in position to be a huge impact player for us,” McVay said of Howard, a 2018 seventh-round draft pick from TCU who played mostly on special teams last year. …

Safety Taylor Rapp (knee) practiced Tuesday for the first time in at least two weeks. Outside linebackers Floyd and Lewis were on the sidelines and not in practice, and Floyd said it was a scheduled rest day for him. Running back Darrell Henderson (hamstring) continued to sit out, and wide receiver Cooper Kupp (leg soreness) was held out as a precaution. Tackle Rob Havenstein walked off the field with a trainer late in practice; he returned but didn’t go back in. McVay, who fields questions about injuries, was available to reporters only before practice Tuesday. …

Havenstein dealt with injuries all last season, and missed the last seven games. He said Monday he had surgery to clean up a knee, and sounded upbeat and set for a good year. McVay said of the sixth-year pro: “I know that he attacked the offseason the right way, he’s feeling healthy, he looks like the guy that has been a top-tier, starting tackle in this league.”

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Maybe I know shit, but I thought the Rams overpaid for an underachiever. You know who replaced him in Chicago? Robert Quinn.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They got Leonard on a one year deal. Maybe being cut some him up and he has a career, i.e. Contract year. He will go and the Rams get a third round pick in 2022.

He was not a bad player in Chicago. But he was drafted to be a dominant edge rusher and that's not his game.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
We've needed OLB & ILB talent in the worst way. I think he may be an upgrade over Fowler, and that's not saying Fowler was a slouch, he had over 10 sacks for us last year & was good in run D. I think Floyd can offer similar production while also being able to defend against TE's. If he does have a career year here, I want him to stay.
And Lewis, once he gets up to NFL speed, look out.... we'll have our OLB tandem set w/ nice depth in Ebu & Obo.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying since he was signed that he's better than Fowler. I think he will bring the same level of pass rush as Fowler, but he's the perfect JACK since he can set a hard edge in the run attack and drop into coverage in the pass defense, which Fowler couldn't do. Yes, IMO he's an upgrade. But in this defense, it's not just Fowler. But the addition of Robinson (when he returns) and Lewis make the front 4 one that could be the best in the NFL. The front of Floyd, AD, Robinson, and Lewis can dominate games. They are a mismatch for most O-lines. The Rams won't have to blitz to get pressure. Now with the secondary the Rams have, the defense as a unit can be a top 5 or at least a top 10 defense. I expect Staley to use his personnel better than Wade did. In defense of Wade, he didn't have this level of talent across the board. This secondary is one of the deepest I've ever seen.

Coming into camp the only question mark in my mind about the defense was Fuller. But he's had a very good camp and he's shown good instincts playing the position. Like Rapp, Fuller reads plays quickly and responds accordingly. It allows him to get a jump on the play. It bodes well for his future.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe I know shit, but I thought the Rams overpaid for an underachiever. You know who replaced him in Chicago? Robert Quinn.

I miss Robert Quinn. Dude has had a successful career all things considered.

Leonard Floyd is JAG for now, but I don't worry about his paycheck either.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I kinda look at Floyd the same way I looked at Robert Woods. They both underachieved with the teams that drafted them for different reasons, but are able to do things outside of their main purpose really well. Woods could block and run precise routes so the lack of yards with Buffalo didn’t concern me (the lack of yards was mainly from being a #2 in a run happy offense with game managers for QBs).

Floyd might not have the sack totals we would like to see, but he can set an edge and do the little things you need out of that position. I’m hoping that LF coming to LA will see him continue to do the intangibles while improving his pass rush.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
His run D is very good, he set the edge perfectly. so anything over 5 sacks and I will be happy

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
If Floyd plays up to his All-Pro potential the Rams will have a 6 headed-beast - Jalen Ramsey - Donald - Floyd, add potential superstar Lewis--- above-average Brockers, and later potential All-Pro A'Shawn Robinson = top 5 defense.