Legitimate questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
1. Brandon Gibson is a FA and probably is no.2 on the WR FA priority list. Brandon isn't a game changer, but he has developed into a reliable player and would be a very, very good depth WR on most any NFL team. Will the Rams try and retain him or do they part with him to bring in a more dynamic veteran (such as Greg Jennings) or do they let him go in hopes that Quick will take that spot and run with it?

2. Do the Rams re-sign Rob Turner and move forward with the LG spot by opening competition between Turner, Watkins, and the other youngsters?

3. Does my boy C. Dahl get re-signed to a modest contract to be a veteran backup at safety and special teamer? Is he retained to continue to start? Or is he playing elsewhere next season?

4. Does Blake Williams officially take the title of D-coordinator? Does Gregg Williams get reinstated and run with the job? Does someone else outside the organization get the job?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
1. Brandon Gibson is a FA and probably is no.2 on the WR FA priority list. Brandon isn't a game changer, but he has developed into a reliable player and would be a very, very good depth WR on most any NFL team. Will the Rams try and retain him or do they part with him to bring in a more dynamic veteran (such as Greg Jennings) or do they let him go in hopes that Quick will take that spot and run with it?

2. Do the Rams re-sign Rob Turner and move forward with the LG spot by opening competition between Turner, Watkins, and the other youngsters?

3. Does my boy C. Dahl get re-signed to a modest contract to be a veteran backup at safety and special teamer? Is he retained to continue to start? Or is he playing elsewhere next season?

4. Does Blake Williams officially take the title of D-coordinator? Does Gregg Williams get reinstated and run with the job? Does someone else outside the organization get the job?
I'd like to see Gibson get pushed down the depth chart, but I wouldn't get rid of him. The demand for him on the open market shouldn't be that big, and he's got a lot of chemistry with Bradford. I'd want him as a reservist, but no longer in the top 2.

I'd re-sign Turner and let him compete. He's a viable backup center.

3. Dahl is solid. Others will disagree, but he's solid. He's a solid contributor. That said, I wouldn't want him starting anymore. Someone has to push him for his job, but getting rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him solves nothing. He needs to be bested by someone though.

I want Gregg Williams.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

I'd like to see Gibson get pushed down the depth chart, but I wouldn't get rid of him. The demand for him on the open market shouldn't be that big, and he's got a lot of chemistry with Bradford. I'd want him as a reservist, but no longer in the top 2.

3. Dahl is solid. Others will disagree, but he's solid. He's a solid contributor. That said, I wouldn't want him starting anymore. Someone has to push him for his job, but getting rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him solves nothing. He needs to be bested by someone though.

I want Gregg Williams.

I really disagree about Dahl being solid, but it wasn't my point to make a Craig Dahl discussion. I do think he is a serviceable backup. He is a free agent, so moving in a different direction isn't really a case of getting rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him. That safety spot is clearly the weakest link on the defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

I want Gregg Williams.

I really disagree about Dahl being solid, but it wasn't my point to make a Craig Dahl discussion. I do think he is a serviceable backup. He is a free agent, so moving in a different direction isn't really a case of getting rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him. That safety spot is clearly the weakest link on the defense.
Yeah, I know. And I'm not trying to pimp him either. My point was, what's the backup plan if we move on from him? I firmly believe that if we had a better option, they would have used him. I also agree that it's the weak spot of the defense. We have some candidates as rookies, but they'll have to overcome their injuries and show that they're better.

Or draft a stud.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sum1BTRthnU said:

1. Really, what would a FA or draft guy do? Gibby is fine for what he is. WR is still a log jam, it still needs to be upgraded, but most of the guys are just guys.

2. Hope so. Rok actually won the starting job, so there might be something there. I still think they should draft Barrett Jones.

3. Dahl started and played 16 games. Stewart may have been hurt, but even after he came back, Dahl was the starter.

4. It's going to be in house, and I bet it's Greg. Fisher/Snead did hire him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
1. If Gibby is a starter next year, I think we can all agree that the WR position has been grossly neglected....again. That said, I agree with X that he has chemistry with Bradford and would be valuable as a depth/situational guy.

2. Keep turner. That guy is like a utility knife on the OL. He can play just about anywhere in a pinch. Can't imagine he would be too pricey either.

3. I think you all know how I feel about Dahl. If he stays as a backup/ST player, fine. If he is starting again, well....shit. I think we absolutely get a starter at safety in this years draft. There are some good ones to chose from as well.

4. Not sure how I feel about Gregg getting the job...again. Correct me if I am wrong, but the defense looked pretty good this year, and they appeared to be getting better down the stretch. I am not sure if bringing Gregg in has a negative impact on that, but it could. Yes, I know this is the same system he used (for the most part) in NO, but in the wake of all that has happened, would he be someone the players could trust? It is a valid concern. I wouldn't mind seeing Blake get a shot to take over full time. Then again...Lovie Smith???? THAT would be my choice, but we all know that ain't happenin....

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
1. Id re-sign Gibson for the right amount of money. Physically he is not the most imposing WR. He is not exceptionally fast, quick, or big, but he does have a trust with Bradford. There are worse things than having a WR your QB trusts at 4th or so on the depth chart.

2. Re-signing Turner would be a top priority of mine. He proved to be more than just a serviceable interior lineman this year. Great depth guy. Not great at any phase, but not weak either.

3. Im okay with Dahl as depth. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE HIM AS A STARTING SAFETY NEXT YEAR. I would almost rather not re-sign him so that there is no temptation to start him. The coaching staff knows its players better than me, but Dahl is not a starting safety.

4. I dont want Gregg Williams anymore. Give me Blake or Schwartz

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
A desicion must be made on William Hayes too. He is a FA.

We HAVE to try and retain him. He was awesome this year. Rotoworld pointed out that he graded out as the 9th best DE against the run. He also notched 7 sacks. All while playing part time. Hopefully his price tag wont be to extreme.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Angry Ram said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

1. Really, what would a FA or draft guy do? Gibby is fine for what he is. WR is still a log jam, it still needs to be upgraded, but most of the guys are just guys.

2. Hope so. Rok actually won the starting job, so there might be something there. I still think they should draft Barrett Jones.

3. Dahl started and played 16 games. Stewart may have been hurt, but even after he came back, Dahl was the starter.

4. It's going to be in house, and I bet it's Greg. Fisher/Snead did hire him.

Rok didn't win the starting job out of the preseason. Turner started but was then shifted to center once Wells went down, then Rok came in.

I think Rok has potential, as does Shelley Smith, to be here for the long term. I'd like to see Turner brought back and face competition at LG. If he doesn't win out, him being the backup LG or C isn't a problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sum1BTRthnU said:

(1) Gibson is gone. In order to upgrade this unit, we need to have roster space. I just don't see anything special about Gibson that we can't get out of others we already have.

(2) Yes, Turner should be resigned and probably will be. He isn't the starter next year, though a valuable backup.

(3) Dahl is gone. This position needs a serious upgrade. The only chance he has is if Mikell is cut and the Rams can't fill all the holes.

(4) Gregg Williams. It's who Fisher wanted. He's available.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Sum1BTRthnU said:

1. Have to agree with the guy who said make space.......but only if wee upgrade. I don't know why....but I got an eerie feeling they aren't going after a number 1 WR with the focus on improving the people we have. don't know why,.....just a feeling. Hope like hell I'm wrong.

2. Hope so. Not to start, but as a very serviceable back up for C/G.

3. Hope not. My feeling here is if Dahl is gone and a couple of young thumpers drafted, we improve our D exponentially. Plus....where's the love for D. Stewart? I remember him being a stud when healthy. Is the Dahl love and DStew's health keeping him off the field?

4. As long as it's the same system, I don't care who calls the plays. Gunna be a gang of good defensive minds looking for work and I just hope we don't get frisky and switch up to garner a "name".

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
1. I like Gibson and I like the idea of retaining him even if it is down the depth chart. Steve Smith is gone IMHO.

2. Yes, keep RT and let him compete against some draftees, UDFAs, and FAs we might bring to the dance.

3. Dahl is a strange deal to me. He seems to be the weak link but he stays on the field somehow. I really think they will draft a Safety early in the 2013 draft, maybe 1st round.

4. My feeling is Greg Williams will be DC but Blake may get the nod if dad would rather his son have the job.

wolfman84

Rookie
1. Depends on what he is being offered on the open market. I believe Gibson provides some continuity for Sam but would be competing for a roster spot and not a starting position. He's worth bringing back at the right price.

2. RT provides great value as a backup C and OG. Should be resigned, but, again, at the right price.

3. I think I'm more disappointed that Stewart wasn't able to beat out Dahl. That kinda shocked me. Dahl is valuable special teamer but that position has to be upgraded. I'ld like to see them land FA Jairus Byrd from Buffalo.

4. I almost feel that Greg Williams would be a distraction and I'm not sure he would have the player's trust. I'm guessing they go with Blake.

As far as retaining our own, I believe the priority has to be: Amendola, Jackson (restructured), Hayes, Turner, Cudjo (RFA), and Stewart (RFA). Gibson and Dahl fall behind these guys in my mind. Of course my mind doesn't really matter. Should be interesting seeing what direction management goes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am tired of having our ass beat by TE's , tired tired tired.
We have to upgrade at safety or draft a 7 ft tall DT with mad skills at rushing the passer. But for how TE's have kicked our asses we'd be talking about Seattle coming here for a rematch this week.
O-line played so well Sunday , it's hard to think we can't forge something pretty special if Boo stays so keep Turner draft more help 3rd round .

Rec. I am curious how Sam ,Quick, Givens,Kendricks work out together this off season, if Quick develops and Givens keeps getting better and we draft some people the choice may come down to Amendola or Gibson and THAT may come down to who do you think can stay healthy.

Someone showed a list of who has been drafted with the 16th pick, safety looks like it's dollar value meets the slot at 16,IOW we may well get the best or second best safety in the draft at that point.

I'd heard that next year the players are going to be required to wear ALL pads,it's going to effect people's speed for some of these cats is going to be inhibited ,timing will be different ,it's going to change a lot and I think we may be seeing a guy like Gibson totally different
Story: I used a 37 oz. softball bat , other guys on the team used mid 20's and asked me why i gave up the bat speed, I didn't swing a 24 any faster than a 37 so I opted for the power.
Some of these guys are going to be as fast with pads some are going to slow down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
wolfman84 said:
As far as retaining our own, I believe the priority has to be: Amendola, Jackson (restructured), Hayes, Turner, Cudjo (RFA), and Stewart (RFA). Gibson and Dahl fall behind these guys in my mind.

Pretty solid pecking order.