Left Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramon Ram

Starter
We got a D grade on our draft from the NY post. When other draftniks rate our draft they all point to our lack of drafting on our OL.

Below is a quote from ESPN after the Colts signed Fisher for LT. They didn't draft OL either so maybe McSnead know what they are doing.

Left tackle has been a position of need for the Colts since veteran Anthony Castonzo retired in January. They didn't use any of their early-round picks on an offensive tackle because the staff wasn't as high on this year's draft class. Indianapolis didn't select an offensive lineman until the seventh round of the draft. It signed Sam Tevi, who was with the Chargers last season, in free agency.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
F the NY Post, ... and you can deport their demented owner right back to Australia. jmo.

oldnotdead

Legend
Sam Tevi is a total joke as a football player. I wasn't the only one that was shocked that they drafted him and even more that they played him so long. Rivers took a total beating from his missed blocks. I say this because it proves to me that ESPN has their heads up their asses.

What do they think Whitworth has been? He's been one of the best and despite his age showing he's still better than average at LT. Noteboom has proved whenever he's been allowed to play LT that he's pretty damn good. His flaws are in run blocking but that takes experience which keeps getting delayed. It's why IMO they should cut ties with the final weak link in Rob Havenstein and let Noteboom play RT then switch to the left side when Whitworth retires. They can play Edwards as their swing tackle until Noteboom moves to the LT side then play Edwards at RT.

They have Alaric Jackson to groom as a swing OT. Hes got excellent length for the position. His footwork is a mess, but he obviously got professional help before the Senior Bowl because when compared to his game film, he looked improved. This shows he's coachable with a decent work ethic and commitment. Clean up his feet and technique and he might be a decent OT to play swing. Playing Noteboom at RT and Edwards at swing would fit Sneads MO by signing Alaric Jackson as a one-year developmental player.

TexasRam

Legend
It was questionable whether Fisher would come back to his former Pro Bowl form due to his Achilles injury. If he does it could take some time.

Plus, we aint got no money.

So, we were rolling with what we got. Passing on the interior line in the draft is a legit head scratcher, but we will see soon enough if the MCSnead evaluation of our current group was correct.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its pretty clear they're in it to win now. How many day 2 and day 3 rookies would come in and play better than what they have this season? Probably none. So they drafted what they think can help now. What will that do for the future of the line? I don't know. But don't be surprised to see more linemen drafted next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In one article I read before the draft that had polled GM and scouts opinions didn't seem to support the opinion that this draft was very good for drafting offensive tackles. Most seemed to think the only starting left tackles to be drafted would come out of round one with most others moving to guard or right tackle. So its quite possible that the media was hyping the position too much.

So, neither the Colts, who have been drafting pretty well or the Rams saw the later round Left tackle value that the media claimed to be there. Or in the Rams case they didn't see anything better than what they had on the roster or they think Whitworth will keep playing as long as he's playing well. They could be planning to give him a new contract with a signing bonus that makes up for the money he lost agreeing to a pay cut.

Blythe is gone and with Corbett (or Anchrum) taking over at center they'd have no need for anything but depth on the offensive line, which could be getting a little thin if one of Anchrum or Evans joins the starters. They'd be down to Noteboom, Shelton, Brewer, and Allen as the experienced backups, and hoping one of two undrafted rookies, Jackson and or Meredith can take over for whichever back up moves to the starting line. That seems like a big if to me. Hopefully the injury luck continues on the offensive line.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
In one article I read before the draft that had polled GM and scouts opinions didn't seem to support the opinion that this draft was very good for drafting offensive tackles. Most seemed to think the only starting left tackles to be drafted would come out of round one with most others moving to guard or right tackle. So its quite possible that the media was hyping the position too much.
So, neither the Colts, who have been drafting pretty well or the Rams saw the later round Left tackle value that the media claimed to be there.

We will rally around Tavaris Jackson, and we will play good football !

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Just because the Rams didn't draft a lineman doesn't mean they believed none could help them this year or in the future. I absolutely wanted upgrades to the line in both rounds two and three. McSnead disagreed with me. They believed WR and LB were greater needs and that they drafted better players to improve the roster. My guess is that if the young guys don't develop to their standards, OL could become a FA priority like when they got Whit and Sully. The hope is that it won't be necessary...but if it becomes so, they can turn their cap investments toward the line by making sacrifices elsewhere.

One last thing, I don't get why some are so adamant about replacing Havenstien. He's a dominant run blocker and an adequate (though flawed) pass protector but overall one of our best linemen. Edwards has a bright future but they had to scheme him in pass pro to protect him even more than they did Havs. And doesn't Evans have the same profile with less experience? When healthy, Havs is more reliable than anyone not named Whitworth. I suppose the money is what makes their argument.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good run blocking RT's are not hard to find coming out of College. Pass blocking is just not a skill that is produced much in the NCAA. Young healthy good Pass & Run blocking LT's are still very high in value to almost all teams.

NFL defenses are no longer just narrowly fixated on beating the starting LT's with pass rusher. Defenses for years now are lining up the super quicker smaller pass-rushers out just off the RT's right shoulder. Good run blocking RT with flaws in their pass rush protection are being attacked successfully now for some time, for close to a decade. An example would be Denver's Miller. Denver's Miller has molested Havenstein in matchups since 2015.

Hav has many excellent OL skills & abilities that he brings to a team on the field & off. Pass blocking skills are not one of them. Rams have collected a decent size collection of potential economy salaried good starting RT's on the roster now. It has not been hard for this Ram team to get this accomplished rather easily. What has been difficult is to do the same @ LT.

Rams are paying RT Hav $8.4 million & LT Whit $5.6 million.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good run blocking RT's are not hard to find coming out of College. Pass blocking is just not a skill that is produced much in the NCAA. Young healthy good Pass & Run blocking LT's are still very high in value to almost all teams.

NFL defenses are no longer just narrowly fixated on beating the starting LT's with pass rusher. Defenses for years now are lining up the super quicker smaller pass-rushers out just off the RT's right shoulder. Good run blocking RT with flaws in their pass rush protection are being attacked successfully now for some time. for close to a decade an example would be Denver's Miller. Denver's Miller has molested Havenstein in matchups since 2015.

Hav has many excellent OL skills & abilities that he brings to a team on the field & off. Pass blocking skills are not one of them. Rams have collected a decent size collection of potential good starting RT's on the roster now. It has not been hard for this Ram team to get this accomplished. What has been difficult is to do the same @ LT.

Just saying,that is why The Rams gave up 2 1st & a 3rd. That is a lot of draft picks. Enough said

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

NFL defenses are no longer just narrowly fixated on beating the starting LT's with pass rusher. Defenses for years now are lining up the super quicker smaller pass-rushers out just off the RT's right shoulder. Good run blocking RT with flaws in their pass rush protection are being attacked successfully now for some time, for close to a decade. An example would be Denver's Miller. Denver's Miller has molested Havenstein in matchups since 2015.

Hav has many excellent OL skills & abilities that he brings to a team on the field & off. Pass blocking skills are not one of them. Rams have collected a decent size collection of potential economy salaried good starting RT's on the roster now. It has not been hard for this Ram team to get this accomplished rather easily. What has been difficult is to do the same @ LT.

Rams are paying RT Hav $8.4 million & LT Whit $5.6 million.
Whitworth agreed to the pay cut in exchange for his final season being fully guaranteed, which can lead to speculation that he may hang it up after 2021 and still get paid. Its a totally different situation than with Havestein. Rob is not in a position to take the cut like Whitworth who has earned Left tackle money for almost 20 years.

The problem with right tackles that you present is accurate. But we just saw what happens when a team finds a right tackle that can both run and pass block. They want left tackle money and either request a trade or hit free agency as soon as their contract is up. Even if they aren't exceptional at both skills they want to maximize their income. I don't recommend trading Havenstein. Just the fact that teams inquired about him and Woods tells us that he's considered a good Right Tackle. 8.4 million isn't all that much money either.

Some suggest moving Noteboom to the right but that fixes nothing. It just flips the problem from not being a good pass blocker to not being a good run blocker. Plus he's never played on the right side that I know of.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Noteboom has played well at LT when given the opportunity. Guys like Whitworth don’t grow on trees and expecting Noteboom to have a similar career is unrealistic, though it would certainly be nice.

Noteboom is gonna start in the NFL. There are plenty of teams who would snatch him up if they had the chance. The Rams’ OL was pretty good last year, despite our weak link at Center, and that was with Noteboom at LT for about 1/2 of the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavaris Jackson, another young man taken too soon. RIP. Sorry for the bummer.....

Back on topic, can college lineman truly be graded on run block ability anymore with all the spread offense?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tavaris Jackson, another young man taken too soon. RIP. Sorry for the bummer.....

Back on topic, can college lineman truly be graded on run block ability anymore with all the spread offense?
It’s difficult to grade them either way, if they come from a spread

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Just because the Rams didn't draft a lineman doesn't mean they believed none could help them this year or in the future. I absolutely wanted upgrades to the line in both rounds two and three. McSnead disagreed with me. They believed WR and LB were greater needs and that they drafted better players to improve the roster. My guess is that if the young guys don't develop to their standards, OL could become a FA priority like when they got Whit and Sully. The hope is that it won't be necessary...but if it becomes so, they can turn their cap investments toward the line by making sacrifices elsewhere.

One last thing, I don't get why some are so adamant about replacing Havenstien. He's a dominant run blocker and an adequate (though flawed) pass protector but overall one of our best linemen. Edwards has a bright future but they had to scheme him in pass pro to protect him even more than they did Havs. And doesn't Evans have the same profile with less experience? When healthy, Havs is more reliable than anyone not named Whitworth. I suppose the money is what makes their argument.
Couldn’t agree more. Hav is a solid RT, he occasionally gets beat by the elite D ends, but that happens to 98% of tackles in the NFL.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Sam Tevi is a total joke as a football player. I wasn't the only one that was shocked that they drafted him and even more that they played him so long. Rivers took a total beating from his missed blocks. I say this because it proves to me that ESPN has their heads up their asses.

What do they think Whitworth has been? He's been one of the best and despite his age showing he's still better than average at LT. Noteboom has proved whenever he's been allowed to play LT that he's pretty damn good. His flaws are in run blocking but that takes experience which keeps getting delayed. It's why IMO they should cut ties with the final weak link in Rob Havenstein and let Noteboom play RT then switch to the left side when Whitworth retires. They can play Edwards as their swing tackle until Noteboom moves to the LT side then play Edwards at RT.

They have Alaric Jackson to groom as a swing OT. Hes got excellent length for the position. His footwork is a mess, but he obviously got professional help before the Senior Bowl because when compared to his game film, he looked improved. This shows he's coachable with a decent work ethic and commitment. Clean up his feet and technique and he might be a decent OT to play swing. Playing Noteboom at RT and Edwards at swing would fit Sneads MO by signing Alaric Jackson as a one-year developmental player.
In my opinion Havenstein is really solid—if he was a free agent his agents phone would be ringing off the hook