LeBron and L.A. need to make room for Jared Goff and the very real Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
/steps up on Soap Box/

There is none... zero... zilch...nada... chance the Rams will ever get more media attention in LA than LeBron and The Lakers. Period. End of story.

I was listening to the pre-game show on 710-ESPN LA yesterday and they were saying that, if the Rams win and play well, the national media will have to stand up and take notice.

And I just chuckled to myself... "National" media? How about looking in a mirror ESPN-710? Practically every time I tune in on Radio.com, all they're talking about is LeBron. If I had to guess, maybe out of 10 tune ins, they're talking Rams twice... 20%.

So, before you chastise the national media, ESPN-710, try practicing what you preach. Try giving the best freaking team in the NFL at least 50%.

/steps off Soap box/

==============================================================================

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-l-need-make-room-jared-goff-real-rams-071524372.html

Kimberley A. Martin
Senior NFL writer
Yahoo SportsSep 28, 2018 2:15 AM

Yellow towels waved furiously in unison, whipping the chilly Southern California air into a windmill of feverish, frenetic energy. Under the bright lights of prime time, the chants grew louder, culminating in a steady reminder that football — good football — is alive and well here.

The Rams remain undefeated and are currently the only 4-0 team in the NFL. And they appear poised to take over the market they once deserted long ago.

This is L.A. football. At least when Sean McVay & Co. take the field. “When [the fans] come out like that and help us out; having the crowd like that, the energy that they gave us, absolutely,” Rams receiver Brandin Cooks told Yahoo Sports.

It may have been only a Week 4 matchup, but it felt like postseason play for sure, said fellow receiver Roberts Woods, who caught a 31-yard touchdown pass to extend the Rams’ lead to 38-28 in the third quarter: “Night game. Prime time. Great, great opponent. It took everything out of us. It was consistent football all game. The crowd was amazing.”

The Vikings were the latest team to fall victim to McVay’s craftiness and Goff’s burgeoning confidence. This Rams team can beat its opponents any number of ways, thanks to its high-priced collection of talent. When running back Todd Gurley wasn’t hauling in an 8-yard touchdown pass from Goff, he was burning the Vikings for a 56-yard completion in the third quarter. Receivers Cooper Kupp, Cooks and Woods had a field day in wide-open spaces and caught at least one touchdown pass from Goff, who completed 26 of 33 passes for 465 yards. He finished the night with a 158.3 QB rating.

“Lights out,” Gurley said, describing his quarterback’s play. “He’s playing like one of the best quarterbacks in this league. Big night for him. He was just killing it. He looked like he was back at Cal today.”

“That’s nothing rare,” Marcus Peters added, stressing that Goff has showcased the same level of poise and precision before.

“Man, there’s just something special about the way he’s delivering the football and his confidence level,” said offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. “You just want to do everything you can not to mess it up.”

Led by Cousins, who was 36-for-50 for 422 yards and three touchdowns and a 117.3 rating, the Vikings (1-2-1) kept things close for much of the evening. But the Rams defense, led by Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh (three sacks total), proved to be too much for Minnesota.

Each mesmerizing downfield throw by Goff sent electricity coursing through the Coliseum crowd, which used every opportunity to remind “Skol”-screaming Vikings fans just where they happened to be. Two words reverberated throughout the stadium all night, as local rapper and resident hype-man YG posed a pressing question to the crowd of 72,027 decorated in the colors of the Rams’ past.

“Whose house?!” he screamed, over and over.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is none... zero... zilch...nada... chance the Rams will ever get more media attention in LA than LeBron and The Lakers. Period. End of story.

The Lakers are the most storied franchise in the NBA. Yes even more than the Celtics.

And they just landed James.

That's a BIG deal.

The Rams will earn their share of media coverage.

Make sure you get to a game so you can see him play.

I've seen him several times, regular season and playoffs, and it will make you say "whoa" more than anything.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Lakers are the most storied franchise in the NBA. Yes even more than the Celtics.

That's a BIG deal.

I've seen him several times, regular season and playoffs, and it will make you say "whoa" more than anything.

Sorry... not a basketball fan... it's become too selfish.

Used to watch when players like Cousy... and Reed... and Havlichik... and Robertson... and West.. and Bradley played. It was about the team back then... fun to watch. Now? It's all about the players. To me, it started with Jordan... and has become increasingly worse.

It'd be like Gurley demanding the ball 80% of the snaps last night. We'd miss out on all the great passing... but Gurley got what he wanted.

Nah... I'll pass on the NBA, thank you.

The basketball season hasn't even started yet! And it's what? 82 games long? Versus 16 very important games?

I don't live in CA... Radio.com and 710 is my best chance to hear Rams talk. But I get very little (heck, by Thursday, forget about it)

Like I said... soap box... makes my blood boil when I tune in 710, hoping to hear about the Rams and get LeBron talk.

If LA loves basketball that much and they love LeBron that much, maybe they should have a 24/7 NBA/LeBron station.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's a BIG deal.

I live in Ohio. Big Cavs fan. Love LeBron.

But nothing comes close to the NFL. The NBA comes nowhere near in popularity.

LA might be the only place this isn't the case - and it might be because football was gone for so long. But it will come back.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
It has a lot to do with timing also, Monday was the Lakers media day and they just opened training camp. if you tuned in Thursday night or Friday morning you would have heard a lot of Rams praising going on.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
and it might be because football was gone for so long. But it will come back.
You are 100%correct, and it already is. I see more and more rams stuff on the roads around SoCal, and in the stores. The fever is catching!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has a lot to do with timing also, Monday was the Lakers media day and they just opened training camp. if you tuned in Thursday night or Friday morning you would have heard a lot of Rams praising going on.
Well, I'll listen on my way home today... if they're not talking Rams BIG TIME today, well, idiots.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Used to watch when players like Cousy... and Reed... and Havlichik... and Robertson... and West.. and Bradley played. It was about the team back then... fun to watch. Now? It's all about the players. To me, it started with Jordan... and has become increasingly worse.

To make it worse, they won't get off my damn lawn!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

LA might be the only place this isn't the case - and it might be because football was gone for so long. But it will come back.

The Lakers are probably the most popular pro team out west if you discount bandwagon Seahawks fans.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Not true.

It's more of a team game than it has been in a long, long time.

And it's not fair to compare the game you watched in the 60's and 70's to this mordern game.

No more than it would be with the NFL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

The talk is the Lakers, but LA is now and will always be a Dodger town.

People don't understand how good the Lakers had to be for such an extended period of time to even make a dent in the Dodgers' popularity.

Part of it is the changing of the guard of the best announcers ever in any sport, that being Chick Hearn for the Lakers and Vin Sculley for the Dodgers.

With McVay and this cast of characters, rest assured the Rams are going to make a huge dent and there won't be much Laker talk on the day the Rams have their Super Bowl victory parade.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd be willing to bet there are more Steeler fans out West than Laker fans.

I dunno about that. I'd bet ther are more Lakers fans in the LA aera than Steelers fans west of the Rockies.

That is the most storied franchise possibly in American sports history.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno about that. I'd bet ther are more Lakers fans in the LA aera than Steelers fans west of the Rockies.

The Lakers are the most storied franchise possibly in American sports history? Any metric by which you would realistically measure that to determine the Lakers, it would actually be the Yankees. By a mile.

Going by the NBA, it'd be the Celtics over the Lakers for a few reasons:

More titles
Better record against overall
Better record against in the finals
5 of the Lakers titles were won in Minnesota - not that that matters, but the "LA Lakers" - which is the brand we're talking about - have only won 11 titles.

BUT - none of that really matters. The NFL is so much more popular than the NBA or MLB that it doesn't even make sense to compare the best franchise from one to the worst of the other. Despite the NBA having a TON more televised games and quite a few more available tickets to sell (41 home games vs 8, roughly 82,000 vs 60,000 total seats to sell per team based on stadium size), and despite the NBA having the most popular American athlete on the planet - the NFL made $14 Billion while the NBA made $7 Billion.

And this while we have protests and CTE issues making some people stop watching.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

In CA, I'd probably agree with you, but Dodger fans are just a quieter bunch.

LA is and always will be a Dodger town. If another team wants to share the spotlight...okay.

I don't think people realize how successful the Lakers had to be to earn equal billing for a bit. The LA Kings were very good for a bit and didn't crack the top 3 (at the time it was Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders)

These Rams are skyrocketing in popularity in part because this looks like the modern equivalent of the synergistic relationship between Brady and Belichick (except McVay isn't a curmudgeonly ass)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here in the "flyover states" its the Dallas Cowboys and Stl Cardinals by miles.

Somewhere after them is the Yankees and Lakers, but neither in any significantly dominant way.
There are loads of bandwagon pats, broncos and hags fans everwhere across this country. Packers and Steelers too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Lakers are the most storied franchise possibly in American sports history? Any metric by which you would realistically measure that to determine the Lakers, it would actually be the Yankees. By a mile.

The Lakers have been to the posteseason more times as a percentage of their being than the Yankees.

And the NBA has had a cap for a lot of years.

Go look and you will see that they only missed the postseason a few times before this slump in the last 5 years.

The Lakers in the playoffs was a given more than anything in pro sports.

Going by the NBA, it'd be the Celtics over the Lakers for a few reasons:

More titles
Better record against overall
Better record against in the finals
5 of the Lakers titles were won in Minnesota - not that that matters, but the "LA Lakers" - which is the brand we're talking about - have only won 11 titles.

The Celtics have spent at least three times as many year being irrelevant though. As in not in the playoffs and lottery pickers.

If you are going to include titles from the 50's, which you are, then titles from the 40's count too.

Hall of Fame players? Hmmmmmm..........kinda the same right?

The Lakers have appeared in 10 more finals than the Celtics, many more post seasons, and don't disappear for years at a time like the Celtics. They are always in the mix.

If you compare the postseason appearances of the Yankees, and finals appearances you will see what I mean.

The Lakers are, and will always be, in the conversation for pro sports royalty.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams are in the midst of cementing an entire new generation of fans. Why they need to be compared to the Lakers I have no idea. But by the time they're done nobody is going to give a flyin F because they'll be royalty in LA themselves.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams are in the midst of cementing an entire new generation of fans. Why they need to be compared to the Lakers I have no idea. But by the time they're done nobody is going to give a flyin F because they'll be royalty in LA themselves.

The Rams can't get 50K of their own fans into the stadium on Sundays right now so lets pump the brakes for just a moment.

Remember, before the Patriots were winning they drew some of the smallest crowds you could imagine at an NFL game.

Although I would agree that "fans" and "attendance" are really two different things at this stage of the NFL's cycle because of the greed of the league and franchise owners.