League getting rid of wonderlic?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Comes down to application. I am sure that admissions folks in colleges value having that tool for example.

That was only a very small portion. I remember taking the ACT 3 different times, and lets just say i couldn't crack above 25 while all the other seniors were getting pissed they got a 34 instead of a 35. I still got in.

My low score had no say on getting my undergrad or my graduate degree.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
graduate schools
Why would they care about your SATs. They would have your performance in a good sample size to draw data on whether you belong in that program. Doesn't really wash as an argument.

I mean you can argue that there are different kinds of intelligence. Sure there are. Doesn't mean I don't want to know how book smart the draft picks are. So instead of removing a test that tells me something, I would instead be adding other tests that let me see more.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would they care about your SATs. They would have your performance in a good sample size to draw data on whether you belong in that program. Doesn't really wash as an argument.

I mean you can argue that there are different kinds of intelligence. Sure there are. Doesn't mean I don't want to know how book smart the draft picks are. So instead of removing a test that tells me something, I would instead be adding other tests that let me see more.
That's kind of my point though. If you see on film that the player can play why would a test score tell you anything different? Just like graduate school, you've already seen the player perform with a large enough sample size.

Nothing wrong but having tests. But having tests that tell you nothing about how well a football player plays football seems kind of silly to me. Because what he's able to do with book smarts has absolutely zero bearing on what he can do on the football field. If there were a positive correlation between wunderlich scores and football performance then I would agree with you but clearly that's not the case.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's kind of my point though. If you see on film that the player can play why would a test score tell you anything different? Just like graduate school, you've already seen the player perform with a large enough sample size.

Nothing wrong but having tests. But having tests that tell you nothing about how well a football player plays football seems kind of silly to me. Because what he's able to do with book smarts has absolutely zero bearing on what he can do on the football field. If there were a positive correlation between wunderlich scores and football performance then I would agree with you but clearly that's not the case.
Do you think these guys don't have to learn? Saying these tests tell you nothing about how well a football player plays... Draft picks are a big deal dude. Teams invest their time and capital into these guys. If one test can tell me how studious a guy is then that is valuable.

But anyway. We're just talking past each other here. I think it's dumb to remove a test that gives you insight to a guy you're going to invest in. In fact I think there should be more intellect tests administered to these guys. This is big money and dreams for everyone involved, not just the players who might dislike sitting down for 30 minutes and using their noodles.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's time. Maybe 25 years ago the Wonderlic was helping NFL executives out, but there is probably more to offer front offices these days. Reporting on someone's Wonderlic report in the press is very shady and unbecoming in my opinion. Some people can take these types of tests better than others. Some can ball better than they take THESE type of tests. I'd like for someone to show me where it really helped out any NFL organization in the last 10 years.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think these guys don't have to learn? Saying these tests tell you nothing about how well a football player plays... Draft picks are a big deal dude. Teams invest their time and capital into these guys. If one test can tell me how studious a guy is then that is valuable.

But anyway. We're just talking past each other here. I think it's dumb to remove a test that gives you insight to a guy you're going to invest in. In fact I think there should be more intellect tests administered to these guys. This is big money and dreams for everyone involved, not just the players who might dislike sitting down for 30 minutes and using their noodles.
Of course they have to learn. But they're more inclined to learn about something that's relevant to them. So if the wondering score was all football related questions then I'd understand. Also it's noteworthy that most NFL teams don't actually weigh the wonderlic score very highly anyway. I just googled it and found that GM's and scout teams are more likely to use your film and your sparq scores as opposed to your wonder look score. But again I think that's because in modern days we realize that the water looks gore tells you nothing about a football players ability.

But yeah we Can to agree to disagree. Just a difference of opinion. That's all fair! That's all fair!

jacktheripper85

Starter
All I remember is Tavon got a 7 and going uh oh

To be fair though - they should only release the scores to certain individuals on each football team but that would probably still have too much possibility of being inappropriately released
Yeah, I heard that when Tavon’s agent told him he had to take the Wonderlic test that he thought he was going to be competing in an ice cream eating contest.

JYB

Starter
There's been players that had really high scores and didn't pan out. So it goes both ways, I don't see the applicability. Interviews and personal behavior go a long way than some stupid multiple choice test.
Maybe, but shouldn't that be up to teams to decide what kind of importance to place on it?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe, but shouldn't that be up to teams to decide what kind of importance to place on it?

Maybe. A standardized test vs how quickly a player can memorize a playbook don't really go hand in hand does it?

It's like giving a shop student and a seasoned auto mechanic a standardized test to figure out how to repair a carborator. The student can memorize the entire step by step process but the mechanic would probably do it faster.

Maybe that's a bad analogy. I just think w/ life in general intelligence and practicality don't go hand and hand, but sure as hell can't be determined from multiple choice.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor