LB Takeo Spikes visiting Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Reported on twitter by Adam Schefter

Would be a strange one, seems adverse to the youth movement, but then again, he could make for good veteran back-up. Thoughts?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He'll be 37 this year. Very interesting that he is making a visit. Coaches looking for a tad of experience on the roster? We are damn young!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
He was on someone's most overrated list. Last few years his skills have eroded and it's getting worse. If I remember that correctly. We've had recent experience with over the hill LBs. That didn't work out that well for us.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Maybe not for his playing time but for his ability to help coach the youth

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
He was on someone's most overrated list. Last few years his skills have eroded and it's getting worse. If I remember that correctly. We've had recent experience with over the hill LBs. That didn't work out that well for us.
While i do agree with you, on both points, at this stage, we wouldn't be relying on him to start and be an impact player.
The three starting LB positions are set, this hypothetical signing would be literally just for depth and experience purposes, one would assume. As opposed to previously where we were signing over the hill LB's and expecting them to start and play well (Damn you Devaney and Spags!). If we did make the signing i would like it from an experience and tutelage perspective.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
Maybe not for his playing time but for his ability to help coach the youth

a la Al Harris of a few year back. Id be okay with the move for the vets minimum.

Could just be looking at him as a part of our emergency list too

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'd rather have a young speedy guy. We have LB coaches already. As a replacement MLB then maybe. But only if we don't have to give up on someone who's promising.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Does he have experience in this system that he can use to help the other guys? If not it wouldn't make a lot of sense unless they are doing his agent a favor and acting interested to make another team that wants to sign him pony up a little more cash to get him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just as long as he's not taking Jabara's spot.
I don't think he can take another rejection from the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Takeo would back up James Laurinaitis, apparently.

Takeo Spikes sighting at Rams Park

Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101995/takeo-spikes-sighting-at-rams-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -rams-park</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8076/lgt3c29.png[/wrapimg]ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams own the NFL's youngest roster by average age. They could be interested in adding some veteran seasoning at linebacker, it appears.

Takeo Spikes, 36, was seen at Rams headquarters Tuesday night and was reportedly there for a free-agent visit.

Spikes started all 32 games for the San Diego Chargers over the past two seasons. Before that, he started 44 of 48 games during a three-year run with the San Francisco 49ers. [hilite]He would presumably play middle linebacker in the Rams' 4-3 scheme, backing up James Laurinaitis, if St. Louis were to sign him.[/hilite]

Spikes has been a starter every season since entering the NFL with Cincinnati in 1998. He has started 215 games overall, averaging 14.3 starts per season during a 15-year career. He missed 13 games in 2005 while with Buffalo, but otherwise he has been remarkably durable and consistent at a physically demanding position.

Spikes played 66.9 percent of the defensive snaps for San Diego last season. He was the starter in San Francisco previously until the team decided NaVorro Bowman was ready to take the job. Bowman became an Associated Press All-Pro selection. Spikes signed with the Chargers after San Diego hired the 49ers' former defensive coordinator, Greg Manusky.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Laurinaitis and rookie first-round choice Alec Ogletree are expected to start for the Rams at linebacker. The team is remarkably young and inexperienced at the position beyond Dunbar and Laurinaitis, however. Spikes' 215 starts are about double the combined total for the Rams' current linebackers (108).

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Re: Takeo would back up James Laurinaitis, apparently.

Theres already a spikes conversation lol
Im just not big deal on a severely aging @nd the big drop off in my play hes had

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Re: Takeo would back up James Laurinaitis, apparently.

Rabid Ram who's not as crazy as you would think:
Theres already a spikes conversation lol
Im just not big deal on a severely aging @nd the big drop off in my play hes had

Exactly. Hull did a pretty good job filling in for JL and he can do it again. If he was worthwhile as a backup "experienced" MLB then why didn't the Bengals keep him?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Im pretty crazy lmao so crazy i dont spell check auto correct lol
And X way to combine threads and make me look nuts lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know, in 15 years that this guy's been playing, he's only had ONE winning season with a club? The 2004 Bills. The rest of the years he's played (with the Bengals, Bills, Eagles, 49ers, Chargers), his teams have been 8-8 or worse. Sometimes WAY worse.

Maybe he's jinxed. In which case, I don't want him here anymore.
In fact, he should be on the next bus outta there tonight.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Old head. But would not mind his leadership & mentoring on the team as a backup for the vet min, if a deal is struck.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
LB Takeo Spikes completes free-agent visit to Rams Weds. It was more an exploratory visit. Spikes left town w/out contract offer from Rams.

Via ‏@jthom1 ....

Its whatever. But I would like another LB to replace Hull as backup Middle (unless they would like Dunbar at that post).

The only thing Josh Hull has going for him is being the Jeff Fisher celebrity softball home run derby champion...And he lost that to another JAG camp body in Mike McNeill this season....The coaching staff has to know that he is only a so-so special teamer and has no upside as MLB and no versatility at OLB. Not to mention finished the season on IR numerous times.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
o_O¿

Idk how I feel about this... we have 3 solid starters and didn't they turn Armstrong and another safety into LB?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
biggame1190 not lovin Hull:
Its whatever. But I would like another LB to replace Hull as backup Middle (unless they would like Dunbar at that post).

The only thing Josh Hull has going for him is being the Jeff Fisher celebrity softball home run derby champion...And he lost that to another JAG camp body in Mike McNeill this season....The coaching staff has to know that he is only a so-so special teamer and has no upside as MLB and no versatility at OLB. Not to mention finished the season on IR numerous times.

I'm all for replacing Hull and Dunbar. I just think he's an upgrade over Spikes. He may only be a so so special teamer but I bet he's better than Spikes.

Are you saying you think Spikes has an upside? :lol:

I hope the Rams use a lot of their resources next year to address both the LB and Safety corps.

There's also another LB out there that I wouldn't mind signing. Wish I could remember his name darn it! :domg: