LB Carlos Thompson ready to roll with DC Wade Phillips again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...arlos-thompson-houston-texans-ole-miss-rebels

2017 Rams Roster Preview: LB Carlos Thompson’s Third Wheel
After two runs with the Houston Texans, Thompson is in LA to try to roll with DC Wade Phillips yet again
by 3k

usa_today_10070255.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

LB Carlos Thompson is trying to make his Hollywood breakthrough with the 2017 Los Angeles Rams following his signing back in April. After a two-year dalliance with the Houston Texans, Thompson has reunited with Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips to see if the relationship results in the former Ole Miss product landing a spot on the 53-man roster.

Roster Battle

I laid out the OLB depth battle in the Cassanova McKinzy roster preview:

Beyond [Robert] Quinn and [Connor] Barwin, it’s a crowded depth field, and that’s where McKinzy will need to stand out. Two of the Rams’ 2017 NFL Draft class will certainly be popular options in Samson Ebukam and Ejuan Price. We’ll have to see if any of the listed DEs bounces out to OLB;

I’ll note here that the Rams’ official team roster lists Price as a DE. Similarly, Phillips may kick an inside LB outside; again, the official team roster lists Cory Littleton, the Rams’ 2016 Rookie of the Year, as an OLB. Otherwise, the only other options are Carlos Thompson and McKinzy.

The real key is to see who populates the various strings early in camp. Is Thompson’s experience with Phillips’ system enough to push him into the second string when camp breaks? If not, he’s likely looking at the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys to give him a shot.

Expectations

Veteran UDFA who came up on another team. Hard to set the bar lower.

Chances of Making Final Roster (3.5/10)

Considered giving him a slight bump over McKinzy due to the Phillips connection, but there are just too many variables working against him.

The likelihood is that he and McKinzy battle in camp for a mid-season call-up if injury requires one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uOXe94XGZU

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our best run defender at olb. Hope he makes the team and gets a chance.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Thompson could end up Backing-up Barwin at SLB, while Price could play behind Thompson or be moved to DE!
I see Ebukam backing-up Quinn at WLB! JMHO!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tough climb....you got Samson....and Price....maybe someone we don't know....and the 2 starters...

I doubt he makes the roster, but I like this guy....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...arlos-thompson-houston-texans-ole-miss-rebels

2017 Rams Roster Preview: LB Carlos Thompson’s Third Wheel
After two runs with the Houston Texans, Thompson is in LA to try to roll with DC Wade Phillips yet again
by 3k

usa_today_10070255.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

LB Carlos Thompson is trying to make his Hollywood breakthrough with the 2017 Los Angeles Rams following his signing back in April. After a two-year dalliance with the Houston Texans, Thompson has reunited with Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips to see if the relationship results in the former Ole Miss product landing a spot on the 53-man roster.

Roster Battle

I laid out the OLB depth battle in the Cassanova McKinzy roster preview:

Beyond [Robert] Quinn and [Connor] Barwin, it’s a crowded depth field, and that’s where McKinzy will need to stand out. Two of the Rams’ 2017 NFL Draft class will certainly be popular options in Samson Ebukam and Ejuan Price. We’ll have to see if any of the listed DEs bounces out to OLB;

I’ll note here that the Rams’ official team roster lists Price as a DE. Similarly, Phillips may kick an inside LB outside; again, the official team roster lists Cory Littleton, the Rams’ 2016 Rookie of the Year, as an OLB. Otherwise, the only other options are Carlos Thompson and McKinzy.

The real key is to see who populates the various strings early in camp. Is Thompson’s experience with Phillips’ system enough to push him into the second string when camp breaks? If not, he’s likely looking at the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys to give him a shot.

Expectations

Veteran UDFA who came up on another team. Hard to set the bar lower.

Chances of Making Final Roster (3.5/10)

Considered giving him a slight bump over McKinzy due to the Phillips connection, but there are just too many variables working against him.

The likelihood is that he and McKinzy battle in camp for a mid-season call-up if injury requires one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uOXe94XGZU

McKinzy is going to beat him out. He is second string when camp broke.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McKinzy is going to beat him out. He is second string when camp broke.
Was McKinzey a inside linebacker in college?

Rather, wasn't McKinzy a ILB in college...Answer: yes

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cassanova-mckinzy?id=2555526

OVERVIEW

McKinzy took over the middle of Auburn's defense in 2014 after starting on the weak side as a sophomore -- and the move seemed to suit him just fine. The downhill player made life difficult for SEC running backs between the tackles (91 tackles, 11 for loss in 2014. He changed to the "Buck" linebacker spot as a senior, again excelling in a new place (74 tackles, 10 for loss, five sacks, 20 quarterback hurries). Unfortunately, McKinzy finished his final collegiate game on crutches as he watched his team win the Birmingham Bowl (very near his childhood home) over Memphis.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Has old school thickness and thump to play inside. Will get downhill and bring some funk behind his pads at the point of attack. Plays with excellent power and twitch in his hands. Edge-setting potential with the strength and quickness to shed would-be blockers. Has experience playing inside and outside. Produced effective pressure rate as pass rusher when working inside twist games. Credited with 17 quarterback knockdowns in 2015.
WEAKNESSES
Poor instincts and feel for play design. Gets sealed by blocks he doesn't see coming and loses gap leverage due to his instincts over a lack of play strength. Bulky frame with some stiffness. Has missed 25 tackles over last three years. Marginal quickness in his lateral scrape and rarely stays ahead of the blockers in a race for positioning. No matchup cover talent. One of the starters benched for poor play and a lack of communication after the LSU game.
SOURCES TELL US
"I like his toughness but unless you are going to use him as a pass rusher I don't see any third-down value and his entire game revolves around the box. Just too limited." -- AFC East scout
NFL COMPARISON
James Vaughters who???
BOTTOM LINE
Thumper in the middle who can rock and roll in collision drills but gets lost when he has to activate athleticism and instincts inside of a game. McKinzy is a tough guy who can wrap and finish when he's got a clean shot and he might have some special teams value as a pro. He might not be trustworthy enough to leave him alone in the middle of a 4-3, but could find a spot on the inside with a 3-4 defense.

-Lance Zierlein

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hard to see how Carlos Thompson ends up on this master roster myself. With 2 past serious edge rushers (Barwin/Quinn) with many seasons as starters...then theirs the 2016 top reserve OSLB'ers Josh Forrest & Cory Littleton plus Nicholas Grigsby.

Forrest was impressive IMO as his time increased he progressed nicely until a knee injury ended his season. Forrest has the look of a SSLBer or SSILBer. Forest a 2016 draft choice who had 4 starts & played in 10 games.Littleton was active for all 16 games with 1 start he played on the weak side. He was a surprise UDFA.

Then we added Nnamaka Samson Ebukam in the 4th rd & "Juan" Price in the 7th rd. Both of these edge rusher look like Wade type OSLBer's. Price is a shorter 5-11 250 pounder looks to be Barwin reserve. Ebukam has the feel of playing the Rob Quinn post. These 2 2017 draft selection get me excited as to what the future pass rush can be. Throw in Cassanova McKinzy who can rush the passer well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hard to see how Carlos Thompson ends up on this master roster myself. With 2 past serious edge rushers (Barwin/Quinn) with many seasons as starters...then theirs the 2016 top reserve OSLB'ers Josh Forrest & Cory Littleton plus Nicholas Grigsby.

Forrest was impressive IMO as his time increased he progressed nicely until a knee injury ended his season. Forrest has the look of a SSLBer or SSILBer. Forest a 2016 draft choice who had 4 starts & played in 10 games.Littleton was active for all 16 games with 1 start he played on the weak side. He was a surprise UDFA.

Then we added Nnamaka Samson Ebukam in the 4th rd & "Juan" Price in the 7th rd. Both of these edge rusher look like Wade type OSLBer's. Price is a shorter 5-11 250 pounder looks to be Barwin reserve. Ebukam has the feel of playing the Rob Quinn post. These 2 2017 draft selection get me excited as to what the future pass rush can be. Throw in Cassanova McKinzy who can rush the passer well.

For some reason I think McKinzy is getting back in pass coverage. Watching his highlights he seems like a different type of player than in college. He is my sleeper to make the roster.
I'm only going by photos & videos that have come out of OTA's .He seems to be getting good reps & he looks totally different in a Rams uni than a Tiger.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For some reason I think McKinzy is getting back in pass coverage. Watching his highlights he seems like a different type of player than in college. He is my sleeper to make the roster.
I'm only going by photos & videos that have come out of OTA's .He seems to be getting good reps & he looks totally different in a Rams uni than a Tiger.

Ref. McKinzy....appears to could be able to play all four of Wade's Lb'er posts. My early assessment is Cassanova would work primarily @ the outside SSLB'er behind Barwin & then could back up Ogletree's post secondly.

http://gridironnow.com/nfl-draft-prospect-auburn-cassanova-mckinzy/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/12/cassanova_mckinzy_gets_another.html

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/in...ction_auburn_cassanova_mckinzy_nfl_draft.html

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Let's not forget about Bryce Hager. In my honest opinion, he sticks as a backup ILB. Forrest and Littleton also should back up ILB. Then you have Ebukam and Price as backups to Quinn and Barwin, and everything looks golden to me.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Let's not forget about Bryce Hager. In my honest opinion, he sticks as a backup ILB. Forrest and Littleton also should back up ILB. Then you have Ebukam and Price as backups to Quinn and Barwin, and everything looks golden to me.

Hager goes unnoticed by many, but he's always around the ball when he plays D in preseason. He was also robbed of a sick INT on that TNF game vs Seattle last year. I know it was mop up duty, but it was a nice play IMO. I like Hager to stick around, but the competition for the back up ILB jobs will be intense.