Lawler strategy/question?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Is it that if we IR him now, he's gone for the year but if we do it after week 1 we can get him back after 6 weeks (or is it 8)?

Is the idea then that we have to go light at say RB or some other position for one week to make this happen?

Basically we'll try to stash a guy on the practice squad for a week?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes if a player was put on the IR today or I think before Monday he's gone for the year. If a player is put on after he can return as soon as week 9.

Ram65

Legend
NFL rules[edit]
A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list) who is "not immediately available for participation with a club". Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) in which they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team.[2]

During the preseason, the league also allows players with long-term, but not season-ending, injuries to be placed into one of two designations: physically unable to perform (PUP), for injuries sustained during the previous season or during offseason training activities (a player who passes their physical at the beginning of training camp and practices is physically able to participate and is thus ineligible for the PUP list), or reserve/non-football injury, for injuries sustained outside of team or league activities (despite the name, this includes lingering injuries from college football play, should an injured player be drafted and join the team). Both designations are functionally identical in that the player can be promoted to the active roster by week 6 of the regular season or placed on injured reserve. During the regular season, players on the PUP list and injured reserve do not count against the league's 53-man roster maximum, but do count against the 90-man roster limit (which also includes practice squad players).

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.[4] As of 2017, teams may now return two players from injured reserve after Week 8.[5]

Teams may also place a player on injured reserve with a minor injury designation, but the team must release the player once he is healthy.[6]

In the presser McVay and Snead said they would be talking to the trainer IIRC or someone else about Lawler's situation. He has to be on the roster to be IRed. It sounds like he could be back sooner than if he was IRed but, we have to wait and see.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would not be shocked if Lawler went to IR and they added John Kelly to the roster.

jap

Legend
Or Dakota Allen? Why do the need more than 3 RB"S? They only dress 3 for games

Malcolm Brown had season-ending injuries the last two seasons in succession. Our resident bellcow, the Gurley Express! himself was really beat up by the end of last season. Do we really want over use him unnecessarily this season? You cannot have too many RBs, especially given the recent injury record of our own ground troops.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You cannot have too many RBs
Nothing against you personally, but this has got to be one of the most overused statements about positions in the NFL. Positions I've heard you can't have too many of:

DB
Pass rushers
LT
RB
WR
Starting caliber QB

I'm pretty sure that all positions are valuable and having starter quality backups would be good everywhere.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nothing against you personally, but this has got to be one of the most overused statements about positions in the NFL. Positions I've heard you can't have too many of:

DB
Pass rushers
LT
RB
WR
Starting caliber QB

I'm pretty sure that all positions are valuable and having starter quality backups would be good everywhere.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I find some truth to it where leg injuries are more common... the running positions like CB, WR, and RB.

That’s me, tho.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I find some truth to it where leg injuries are more common... the running positions like CB, WR, and RB.

That’s me, tho.

Not a big deal.... If you get a couple of injuries in a game at the RB position then you simply activate RB from your practice squad for the next game.

Especially this team that still is a pass first team regardless of the use of play action.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would not be shocked if Lawler went to IR and they added John Kelly to the roster.

We could fill in several names here, but I'd not be surprised to see another defensive lineman added to the mix. Westbrooks used to get a lot of rotational plays, and so did the newly departed JFM. Smart and Fox are going to be expected to step up, but if either falter I could see Copeland or Durham being brought up. jmo.