Latest News Lost Sub at sea

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Apparently, the thing imploded exactly the danger the engineer who was fired was worried about. Why would someone risk their lives to basically to what amounts to a DIY ad hoc machine? Just because your rich doesn't mean your smart. I know from experience. My ex-wife was from a 1% family. They made money in spite of themselves, not because they knew what they were doing. When I provided them with the actual numbers showing how they were making 25-30% less in profit because of the archaic way they did things my wife and I were banned from the family. LOL

I showed them knowing that was exactly what would happen. But then they no longer expected us to constantly kiss their asses. My MIL would call my wife to see if we need money yet. My wife would just say no we were fine. LOL She set aside her share of the trust money in accounts for her granddaughters (from her son from her first marriage). Her two granddaughters will each get between $13 - $20K each year because of it. Whereas they would have been cut out completely.

What I'm saying is that the more money people have the more warped they seem to get. All I can say is that they went quick. At worst they probably saw a few seconds of high pressure leaking before everything imploded. The use of a carbon fiber hull is mind-bogglingly stupid. This whole thing was predictable.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
The world has been weird lately. Maybe the tourists will pop up on some soundstage somewhere and we'll get a Capricorn One - Titanic cross-over movie epic.

There are a couple hundred human popsicles littering Everest, many quite visible. The open air soylent green ice cream festival hasn't slowed the tourism as far as I know.
A Capricorn One and Soylent Green reference in the same thread!!:fistbump1:

oldnotdead

Legend
Just as a point of clarification when I said the use of carbon fiber was stupid. It's WELL ESTABALISHED THAT CARBON FIBER WHEN SUBJECTED TO PRESSURE STRESSES IS AT BEST A ONE USE ONLY MATERIAL. The addition of titanium does not alter the fact that carbon fiber will weaken under pressure with repeated use. That is a well known and well understood engineering fact. So to use it as the primarily component of a submersible pressure hull is stupid beyond belief. It shows no legitimate engineering knowledge was behind the creation of the Titan and also the use of a game controller as their primary controller is a huge joke among serious marine engineers. Their only comment is that they are surprised they got as many dives out of the troublesome Titan as they did. Each problem that occurred was ignored and not taken seriously.

Anyone involved in this monstrosity's creation belongs in prison for killing these people. Their deaths were PREDICTABLE.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is perverse is the Titan implosion and wreckage field is so close to the Titanic wreck, it also will be a point of interest for undresea travelers. The newer wreckage may last even longer that the Titanic itself.

What's even more freaky is that a novella written in 1898, described a fictional wreck of the transatlantic liner Titan. This Titan was also sunk after hitting an iceberg. I am sure that the owner of the doomed submersible knew that and hence the name.
In the fictional Titan of 1898, the real Titanic of 1912 and the Titan submarine of 2023 all had very rich people die within them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This was pretty interesting. This is a video from a passenger on Mission 3.

This dive was called off. Good insight into what the dive would have been like. Footage from inside the actual doomed sub.

View: https://youtu.be/O-8U08yJlb8

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was pretty interesting. This is a video from a passenger on Mission 3.

This dive was called off. Good insight into what the dive would have been like. Footage from inside the actual doomed sub.

View: https://youtu.be/O-8U08yJlb8

It's an eerie video. It reminds me of seeing a video of a happy family on the beach in Indonesia just before a tsunami wipes them all out.

Psycho_X

Legend
Was talking to a family member who was a submariner for 15 years and he was saying the most surprising thing about the design to him was the fact they used bolts (and not enough of them in his opinion) to tighten the two pieces of sub together of two completely different types of material (carbon fiber into titanium).

So you got just 17 bolts holding pressure between two different pieces of material with different stress or plasticity capabilities. Just seemed like a recipe for developing stress fractures or fatigue in either the bolts or the material around where they are screwed into over time. He had a problem with carbon fiber being used in general and couldn't believe someone thought that was a good idea.

Q729

Legend
https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/...-imploded-will-be-examined-investigators-say/

Voice recordings and data from the mother ship that carried the Titan submersible before it imploded will be examined, investigators say​

As a remotely operated robot maps out the debris field from the fatal Titan submersible implosion, investigators will be reviewing voice recordings from the mother ship that carried the vessel and its five occupants on its journey to the site of the Titanic wreckage, officials said.

Canadian investigators boarded the ship, the Polar Prince, on Saturday "to collect information from the vessel's voyage data recorder and other vessel systems that contain useful information," Kathy Fox, chair of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, said Saturday.

The crew and family members were also being interviewed aboard the Polar Prince, which returned to St. John's, the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador, with its flags at half-mast Saturday.

The agency's mission isn't to assign blame, but rather "find out what happened and why and to find out what needs to change to reduce the chance or the risk of such occurrences in the future," Fox said.

A voyage data recorder stores audio from the ship's bridge. "The content of those voice recordings could be useful in our investigation," Fox said.

The move is the latest in an expanding international investigation into the implosion, which killed all five people who were aboard the submersible during its descent to the Titanic shipwreck Sunday. Military experts found debris in the ocean – about 1,600 feet from the bow of the Titanic – consistent with the loss of the small vessel's pressure chamber, US Coast Guard Rear Adm. John Mauger said.

Those killed were Stockton Rush, CEO of the vessel's operator OceanGate Expeditions; British businessman Hamish Harding; French diver Paul-Henri Nargeolet; and Pakistani-born businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman, who were British citizens.

Communications between the submersible and its mother ship will also likely be scrutinized. The ship could communicate with the submersible by text messages, and it's required to communicate every 15 minutes, according to the archived website of OceanGate Expeditions.

Meanwhile, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is looking into whether "criminal, federal, or provincial laws may possibly have been broken."

"There's no suspicion of criminal activity per se, but the RCMP is taking initial steps to assess whether or not we will go down that road," RCMP Superintendent Kent Osmond said at a Saturday press briefing, adding the agency investigates all reportable offshore deaths.

OceanGate co-founder Guillermo Sohnlein urged people not to rush judgment over the implosion.

"There are teams on site that are still going to be collecting data for the next few days, weeks, maybe months, and it's going to be a long time before we know exactly what happened down there," Sohnlein told CNN on Friday. "So I would encourage us to hold off on speculation until we have more data to go on."

The US Coast Guard, which was involved in the dayslong search and rescue operation, is also investigating the implosion, along with the National Transportation Safety Board.

Remotely operated vehicles will continue to gather information from the sea floor, Mauger, the US Coast Guard Rear Admiral, said Thursday.

The vehicles will work to map out the vessel's debris field, which is more than 2 miles deep in the North Atlantic, Mauger said.

Five different major pieces of debris from the submersible were found Thursday morning, officials said. Each end of the pressure hull was found in a different place, according to Paul Hankins, US Navy director of Salvage Operations and Ocean Engineering.

ROV missions are expected to continue for about another week, according to Jeff Mahoney, spokesperson for Pelagic Research Services, a company that specializes in ocean expedition.

Any attempts to recover anything from the debris field will warrant a larger operation in tandem with Deep Energy, another company helping with the mission, because the debris will likely be too heavy for Pelagic's ROV to lift by itself, Mahoney told CNN on Friday. The recovery efforts would include using rigged cabling to pull up any debris.

Questions about Titan's design​

The multinational investigation comes amid mounting questions about the Titan's design.

A CNN review of OceanGate's marketing material, public statements made by Rush and court records show that even as the company touted a commitment to safety measures, it rejected industry standards that would have imposed greater scrutiny on its operations and vessels.

The company strayed from industry norms by declining a voluntary, rigorous safety review of the vessel, according to an industry leader.

And when submersible expert Karl Stanley was aboard the Titan for an underseas excursion off the coast of the Bahamas in April 2019, he felt there was something wrong with the vessel when loud noises were heard and sent an email to Rush, the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions, sounding the alarm on suspected defects.

"What we heard, in my opinion … sounded like a flaw/defect in one area being acted on by the tremendous pressures and being crushed/damaged," Stanley wrote in the email, a copy of which has been obtained by CNN.

"From the intensity of the sounds, the fact that they never totally stopped at depth, and the fact that there were sounds at about 300 feet that indicated a relaxing of stored energy /would indicate that there is an area of the hull that is breaking down/ getting spongy," Stanley continued.

When asked for comment about Stanley's email, a spokesman for OceanGate told CNN they were unable to provide any additional information at this time.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Stockton Rush shopping for submarine parts:
Screen+shot+2013-03-07+at+12.08.35.png

Results:
Wile-E-Coyote-blows-himself-up.jpg

Psycho_X

Legend
https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/...-imploded-will-be-examined-investigators-say/

And when submersible expert Karl Stanley was aboard the Titan...

"What we heard, in my opinion … sounded like a flaw/defect in one area being acted on by the tremendous pressures and being crushed/damaged," Stanley wrote in the email, a copy of which has been obtained by CNN.

"From the intensity of the sounds, the fact that they never totally stopped at depth, and the fact that there were sounds at about 300 feet that indicated a relaxing of stored energy /would indicate that there is an area of the hull that is breaking down/ getting spongy," Stanley continued.
Wow, and that was in 2019. The unbelievable warning signs and common sense completely ignored in this is just astounding.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This demonstrates why the FAA exists. You need to have a governing body that ensures companies aren't cutting corners due to operational and financial pressures. Aviation is among the safest methods to travel in spite of the fact that it is extremely unforgiving, and this is due to the rules that are largely written in blood.

Sadly niche areas like submarine excursions can sort of sidestep the regulations. So this is an event that will lead to improved oversight with some rules that are written in blood. It is very sad but this is what we do. We learn the hard way that as valuable as greed is for an economy it must be balanced with some fear and oversight.

Tano

Legend
Well this is fun - I got a person at work who is into conspiracy theories and says these two billionaires were never in the submarine and that the pieces of the imploded submarine next to the titanic are photoshopped

Personally I think Aliens beamed them up and the government is covering this up using this disaster.:zany1:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Man who pulled out of the Titan sub trip with his son said Stockton Rush flew to convince them on an experimental plane he built himself​

Bloom said that Rush came to visit him after he and his son expressed concerns about the trip.

After he questioned why Rush was landing at North Las Vegas Airport rather than one of the city's other airports, Rush said that he "was coming in on a two-seater experimental plane that he built," according to Bloom.

"And I started to think about it: He's coming in on a two-seater experimental plane to pitch me to go on a five-seater experimental sub that he built down to the ocean floor to see the Titanic."

Bloom said he understood that Rush had "a different risk appetite than I do. I'm a pilot, I have my helicopter pilot's license, I wouldn't get into an experimental aircraft," he said.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZD_nbS1_II

The sphere is nature's perfect shape for resisting pressure.
We have to know the sphere is safe. If it buckles on a real dive, it'll implode at hypersonic speed and I get chummed into a meat cloud in about two microseconds.
This was a reddit suggestion. I've only watched a very little bit but it seems like Cameron spent a fair amount of time on this project.

Edit: Seems that for this video, you need to click the link. Thumbnail doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This demonstrates why the FAA exists. You need to have a governing body that ensures companies aren't cutting corners due to operational and financial pressures. Aviation is among the safest methods to travel in spite of the fact that it is extremely unforgiving, and this is due to the rules that are largely written in blood.

Sadly niche areas like submarine excursions can sort of sidestep the regulations. So this is an event that will lead to improved oversight with some rules that are written in blood. It is very sad but this is what we do. We learn the hard way that as valuable as greed is for an economy it must be balanced with some fear and oversight.
"for a lack of a better term, blood is good." ~ Merlin Gecko