Last game for receivers on the bubble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McRoberts, KD cannon, Reynolds,Shakier,Cooper

I think this is another chance for Reynolds to show that he is further along in his development than was initially thought. McRoberts is another lanky guy with nice speed and his hands and route running improved over last year. Haven't seen much of KD or Shakier in the receiving game, I think those too are practice squad. It will be good to see who steps up and actually take advantage of their playing time. Cooper has really stepped up and I think with his solid receiving play and special teams he makes the 53. Competition is tight across the board which bodes well for our offense

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I don't see how Spruce nor Shakier can possibly make the 53. To me, across 3 games, Reynolds has been the star of the preseason.

Woods
Watkins
Kupp
Austin
Cooper
Reynolds

Everyone else is PS or cut.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think Cooper and Reynolds are already in. The rest will be fighting for a potential last spot, a practice squad spot, or a job elsewhere. I'd say it's between McRoberts and Spruce, if Spruce is healthy enough to play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McRoberts, KD cannon, Reynolds,Shakier,Cooper

I think this is another chance for Reynolds to show that he is further along in his development than was initially thought. McRoberts is another lanky guy with nice speed and his hands and route running improved over last year. Haven't seen much of KD or Shakier in the receiving game, I think those too are practice squad. It will be good to see who steps up and actually take advantage of their playing time. Cooper has really stepped up and I think with his solid receiving play and special teams he makes the 53. Competition is tight across the board which bodes well for our offense
Reynolds isnt now and hasnt been on the bubble.
I dont see how the WR core isnt set in stone at this point.
TA, Watkins, Kupp, Woods, Reynolds and Cooper are on the 53. I suppose it could be possible for a 7th WR to make the team if there are doubts about TA health, but I doubt it.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't see how Spruce nor Shakier can possibly make the 53. To me, across 3 games, Reynolds has been the star of the preseason.

Woods
Watkins
Kupp
Austin
Cooper
Reynolds

If this isn't final I'll be shocked. Only thing is what to do with Thomas when he's off suspension.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sorry I find zero mount of cut down drama here in this offense & WR cadre. Its been over for me since the first TD by Josh Reynolds.:love:

Much more interesting to my one working brain cell is the Defense bubble bath. Before you can move on to the list of names my brain-cell goes to the big change with this new defense. Best I can see from Deep South is the much bigger numbers of LB'ers & safeties mandated & the less DL'er & Corner numbers. Hard for me.

Wade has shown through out TC & pre season that his Nickles & Dime DB's have gave way to being performed by his safeties. Up front the 2 DE posts have been contaminated with a extra heavy dose of OLB'ers too. Wade could go into regular season with only 4 corners & 6 DL'ers. leaving around 15 between the LB'ers & safeties talent. When I researched the amount of LB'ers found on Wade roster in the past he would have 10 to 11 LB'ers.

What I have pondered different from most members here.....is there really a big need for pass rushing DE's ? If Wade prefers the quicker LB'ers would he not trend more to running heavy on stuff'ers @ NT. like Purcell & UDFA Rookie Omarius Bryant. Both of these do & have played both DE positions. This Rookie Bryant is a monster mean machine in the trenches. Just throwing these thoughts out there.

One consistent ongoing in the DB is Cody Davis....Wade plays Cody in the free/deep safety position in the Nickels & Dimes defense. Whereas the other FS's like Joyner, Countess & Rookie John Johnson will slide inside to the Nickle & Dimes. Interesting situation..

If I am right about this Wade trending here on the safeties we just might see a cadre looking like list below due to the overall versatility & talent present:

Cody Davis FS 28yrs/5
Lamarcus Joyner FS/NK/Dime/SS 27yrs/4
Mo Alexander SS 26yrs/4
Blake Countess FS/NK/Dime 24yrs/2
Marqui Christian SS/FS 23yrs/2
John Johnson FS/NK/Dime 21 yrs/R

The CB cadre has only 3 talents IMO....Johnson, NRC & Webster...the rest of the pack all run about the same in talent & skills none have been consistent or stood out. All about even in talent so why tie up a valuable MS spots on below average CB's who have yet to show much promise. I would look for at least 2 corners on be added to the PS & they may be off other teams.

Last edited:

Big Game

Living The Dream

Woods
Watkins
Kupp
Austin
Cooper
Reynolds

Totally agree with this!! funny thing is they also like Thomas so its possible we may carry 7 WR's this year but idk. That's actually what i want to see if they carry 7 and what position do they drop off.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the Thomas situation comes to a head when he's set to return.....

Trust me, he's a better kick returner than Cooper...don't know if that's worth a roster spot.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm hoping that we keep seven when Thomas comes back. I don't want to cut Pharoh or Reynolds.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Woods
Watkins
Kupp
Austin
Cooper
Reynolds

I completely agree! I think, barring some freak auto accident, these^^ are our starting WR's, cut in stone!(y):yess:

Mick

Pro Bowler
Still think something is in the works with Austin, trade wise. I think they like Reynolds and Thomas both, and would move him for the right offer.

**Off topic, but still about a WR** Watching the Skins last preseason game, and Brian Quick had a brutal drop in the endzone...hit him in the hands. Don't think he is going to make their 53.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think Cooper has secured his spot, don't think there's any hope for anyone who's on the outside looking in other than Thomas.

My top 6 receivers:
Watkins
Woods
Kupp
Austin
Reynolds
Cooper

Followed closely by Thomas. If Thomas is healthy can can light it up against the Packers or in practice, he might be able to push Cooper out, but there's no way he can bump anyone else out at this point. I think the gap between him and Cooper is narrow enough for him to overtake, but the gap between Cooper and Reynolds is significant.

Baring a trade or someone going down (knock on wood) I'm pretty certain we have our receivers, shouldn't be any surprise there. I actually think most of our offense is already set.. We know our QB's (I don't think we keep 3 either) we know our receivers, we know our TE's (Hemmingway going down set that for us) and we should pretty much know our RB, at least our top two guys at this point... We know most of our O-Line as well, just some depth guys.

I'm not sure we'll have many surprises on cut day, at least with the offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cut them all! And draft Austin Proehl next year!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
^I'd agree with the idea that Reynolds has a far higher ceiling than Cooper. But I just can't agree with Reynolds being kept above Cooper at this point.

Cooper is an absolute bulldog. He fights for everything he can get. He's versatile in that I've seen him lined up all over out wide, he plays special teams, and he just has that little IT to him.

Not to say that Reynolds isn't almost right there. I just think Cooper has a hand on the experience end of it. I also think that Mcvay really likes Cooper (pharoah)

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with how this team looks from a weapons stand point.

The hemmingway injury was unfortunate and it sounded like Mcvay had some big plans for him (coach speak? IDK with this guy). Mcvay also sounding like he was salivating when talking about how he might be able to use Tavon (tongue in cheek)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I almost started a similar thread. Barring injury, we have too many guys that belong on someone's 53. In my mind, in value to McSnead:
  1. Watkins (wasn't brought over for a one year rental.) He may get some of Tavons cash.
  2. Kupp. Their pick. And he is very valuable to move chains. Very special player.
  3. Reynolds. He's their other guy. Special as well. Their future deep threat along with Sammy.
  4. Cooper. I believe he has supplanted the next guy in value through a great year two leap. Most improved.
  5. Thomas. Some duplication with Reynolds. But ultimately they both will be playing a similar role for some NFL team. The talent is there.
  6. Woods. I feel bad for him. The Rams brought him in having no idea what they would have in Kupp and an improved Cooper. He may get lost and be a one year rental.
  7. Austin. Ditto. Love Tavon. I want to see him thrive. But if the situation is right, he may be traded. Hopefully we find a good role for him.
  8. Spruce. They like him. A poor mans Kupp. (Which does not runneth over when you are on the sidelines) :whistle: he may go PS in case of injuries.
  9. Shakier Ryan. Exciting little player. Maybe a PS candidate.
  10. McRoberts. He may get his chance with some team. He has made some nice plays. PS?
  11. Cannon. I haven't really see him play yet.
Injuries, Thomases suspension, and game four play may shake some things out, but history dictates this:

*Only four of these guys will have any substantial future with the Rams.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Cooper is an absolute bulldog. He fights for everything he can get. He's versatile in that I've seen him lined up all over out wide, he plays special teams, and he just has that little IT to him.

That's pretty much the way McVay described him the other night, so I think PC stays. BUT how many WRs would've held on to that catch like Reynolds did when he got spear-clocked, then score a TD a few plays later? Couple of "bulldogs" I'd say. :LOL:

Ram65

Legend
I think Cooper has secured his spot, don't think there's any hope for anyone who's on the outside looking in other than Thomas.

My top 6 receivers:
Watkins
Woods
Kupp
Austin
Reynolds
Cooper

Cooper has been impressive making catches while taking hits on quick slants down the middle. Almost broke loose for big gainers. His value comes in being dependable catcher, versatile, quick off the line and physical. Thomas is a wait and see but, would be the next man up if any injuries happen.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I almost started a similar thread. Barring injury, we have too many guys that belong on someone's 53. In my mind, in value to McSnead:
  1. Watkins (wasn't brought over for a one year rental.) He may get some of Tavons cash.
  2. Kupp. Their pick. And he is very valuable to move chains. Very special player.
  3. Reynolds. He's their other guy. Special as well. Their future deep threat along with Sammy.
  4. Cooper. I believe he has supplanted the next guy in value through a great year two leap. Most improved.
  5. Thomas. Some duplication with Reynolds. But ultimately they both will be playing a similar role for some NFL team. The talent is there.
  6. Woods. I feel bad for him. The Rams brought him in having no idea what they would have in Kupp and an improved Cooper. He may get lost and be a one year rental.
  7. Austin. Ditto. Love Tavon. I want to see him thrive. But if the situation is right, he may be traded. Hopefully we find a good role for him.
  8. Spruce. They like him. A poor mans Kupp. (Which does not runneth over when you are on the sidelines) :whistle: he may go PS in case of injuries.
  9. Shakier Ryan. Exciting little player. Maybe a PS candidate.
  10. McRoberts. He may get his chance with some team. He has made some nice plays. PS?
  11. Cannon. I haven't really see him play yet.
Injuries, Thomases suspension, and game four play may shake some things out, but history dictates this:

*Only four of these guys will have any substantial future with the Rams.

Your comment on Woods doesn't really make sense. Free agency comes before the draft. They had no idea Kupp would even be on the team.

In regards to the Tavon comment, check this out. Sounds like Tavon feels a trade coming.

View: https://twitter.com/alden_gonzalez/status/902316518502948865

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Your comment on Woods doesn't really make sense. Free agency comes before the draft. They had no idea Kupp would even be on the team.

In regards to the Tavon comment, check this out. Sounds like Tavon feels a trade coming.

View: https://twitter.com/alden_gonzalez/status/902316518502948865

Good info on Tavon.

What I meant by my Woods comment was this:

Yes. They picked him up in free agency. Not knowing what the draft would hold. And not knowing what the previous regimes pick of Cooper was going to look like for them.

Once camp ensued, I bet it crossed their mind that they may not have needed Woods in that trade. Kupp, Woods and Cooper all work the same part of the field. It also kind of pushed Spruce to the curb. Spruce is a great and reliable hands guy too. Just a step slower.

I like all three players, by the way. Sure nice to have this problem rather than: Salas or Pettis?

I just think that along with Spruce, there won't be enough room for one of those three: Kupp, Cooper or Woods. With Watkins and Reynolds probably locks. Along with tight ends. Not enough balls to go around.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Sorry I find zero mount of cut down drama here in this offense & WR cadre. Its been over for me since the first TD by Josh Reynolds.:love:

Much more interesting to my one working brain cell is the Defense bubble bath. Before you can move on to the list of names my brain-cell goes to the big change with this new defense. Best I can see from Deep South is the much bigger numbers of LB'ers & safeties mandated & the less DL'er & Corner numbers. Hard for me.

Wade has shown through out TC & pre season that his Nickles & Dime DB's have gave way to being performed by his safeties. Up front the 2 DE posts have been contaminated with a extra heavy dose of OLB'ers too. Wade could go into regular season with only 4 corners & 6 DL'ers. leaving around 15 between the LB'ers & safeties talent. When I researched the amount of LB'ers found on Wade roster in the past he would have 10 to 11 LB'ers.

What I have pondered different from most members here.....is there really a big need for pass rushing DE's ? If Wade prefers the quicker LB'ers would he not trend more to running heavy on stuff'ers @ NT. like Purcell & UDFA Rookie Omarius Bryant. Both of these do & have played both DE positions. This Rookie Bryant is a monster mean machine in the trenches. Just throwing these thoughts out there.

One consistent ongoing in the DB is Cody Davis....Wade plays Cody in the free/deep safety position in the Nickels & Dimes defense. Whereas the other FS's like Joyner, Countess & Rookie John Johnson will slide inside to the Nickle & Dimes. Interesting situation..

If I am right about this Wade trending here on the safeties we just might see a cadre looking like list below due to the overall versatility & talent present:

Cody Davis FS 28yrs/5
Lamarcus Joyner FS/NK/Dime/SS 27yrs/4
Mo Alexander SS 26yrs/4
Blake Countess FS/NK/Dime 24yrs/2
Marqui Christian SS/FS 23yrs/2
John Johnson FS/NK/Dime 21 yrs/R

The CB cadre has only 3 talents IMO....Johnson, NRC & Webster...the rest of the pack all run about the same in talent & skills none have been consistent or stood out. All about even in talent so why tie up a valuable MS spots on below average CB's who have yet to show much promise. I would look for at least 2 corners on be added to the PS & they may be off other teams.

Not a big Michael Jordan fan, Bonifay?

Or was that a brain fart? Lol.