Langford had motivation for helmet throw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Howard Balzer
http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/co...ford-had-motivation-for-helmet-throw/4257605/

(KSDK Sports) -- It turns out Rams defensive tackle Kendall Langford had more reasons than mere frustration for throwing his helmet to the ground after being ejected in the third quarter of Sunday's game against the Seahawks for making contact with an official.

Langford entered the game with four sacks and needed two to earn a $333,000 incentive bonus. He got one late in the second quarter, and while having two in one game would be unusual for him, it certainly became more possible once he got the first.

However, those hopes ended with 2:53 remaining in the third quarter during a sequence that began when linebacker Alec Ogletree was whistled for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after tackling Seattle running back Robert Turbin.

[hl][/hl][hl]Langford wasn't even on the field for the play, but was entering the game and began playing peacemaker by motioning with his hand to the official that all Ogletree was doing was talking.[/hl]

Said Langford, "I was saying, 'He can talk? He can talk, right?' I went just like this (raising his arms), and I guess that's when he (official) came running up behind me and I knocked his hat off."

Langford didn't realize he had been ejected and was explaining things to coach Jeff Fisher when he was told he had to leave for the locker room.

When it was noted to Langford that it looked like he didn't know the official was there, he said, "Exactly. There was no late hit, no anything. I was surprised at that, and once he told me I was ejected for it, I got really upset about it. I apologize for throwing my helmet, that part of it. But I don't agree with the call at all."

Langford was able to see the replay, and added, "After I had seen it I thought it was a bad call. I don't agree with it, and after seeing it over and over I still don't agree with it."

And he certainly didn't like the fact he then had no chance to earn his incentive.

Howard Balzer will be contributing to KSDK Sports throughout the 2013 NFL season. Howard hosts "H and Friends" Monday-Friday from 9-11 on Fox Sports 1490 The Champ. He is also a host on SiriusXM NFL Radio and one of 44 selectors for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a nice chunk of change. But I'm not sure that was even on his mind in the moment. I'd be just as angry if the refs had ejected me for some BS like that. It was a total mistake and clearly not intentional. Ref was just as much at fault as Langford.

A55VA6

Legend
That was probably the worst ejection and penalty I had every seen in my life. I would've done more than just throw my helmet..

moklerman

Warner-phile
I thought the Long ejection was pretty unwarranted too. Some weird stuff between the Rams and ref's going on this year.

RFIP

A lot of people rail on Langford but I think he came on the end of last year and played pretty darn well this year. He is a big, active, physical dude in the middle of the line and a nice tandem with big Brock.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
The refs are so quick to make a call that can easily change the outcome of a game. But they don't care. And it doesn't help that we were in Seattle where the squawks can do no wrong

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This whole thing is a reason that these Refs needs to be held accountable for their actions. They are part of the field, if they get hit in the motion of a player, how the hell is that a penalty? I think refs need to be fined and suspended when they pull shit like this

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This whole thing is a reason that these Refs needs to be held accountable for their actions. They are part of the field, if they get hit in the motion of a player, how the hell is that a penalty? I think refs need to be fined and suspended when they pull shyte like this

If they make mistakes over and over they should be demoted. Fined and suspensions won't work. There has to be the same standard there is for players and coaches and regular people. Do your job right or someone else will get it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A lot of people rail on Langford but I think he came on the end of last year and played pretty darn well this year. He is a big, active, physical dude in the middle of the line and a nice tandem with big Brock.

I agree. He's a solid player. Can't have all-stars at every position.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This whole thing is a reason that these Refs needs to be held accountable for their actions. They are part of the field, if they get hit in the motion of a player, how the hell is that a penalty? I think refs need to be fined and suspended when they pull shyte like this
I completely agree and sent a message to the NFL stating such. These guys are in position to affect the games seasons and careers of the game many of us invest a great deal of our time and money into. It is long passed time for them to be held accountable