Lande Compares the Top 2 RBs in the Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
As Im sure many of you know, Im no fan of Lacy in the first. Second round would be fabulous, just not the first.

This could be a classic example of the behavioral confirmation bias, but Im going to post the article anyway because I think Lande is spot on. Id like to hear what y'all think. I dont necessarily think Bernard fits what we need but an interesting read nonetheless

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pick-your-Poison-Giovani-Bernard-vs-Eddie-Lacy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pic ... -Lacy.html</a>

With all the Pro Days now behind us, teams are in the middle of their final Draft meetings. So for the final ten days we are going to continue to compare and contrast two players who play the same position. This will give you the insight into the small things that can separate top prospects. Today we compare two of the top running backs, North Carolina’s Giovani Bernard and Alabama’s Eddie Lacy, in the Draft.

In a year with no premier running back prospects, two of the better ones are Giovani Bernard and Eddie Lacy, but they are drastically different players. Naturally instinctive with great vision, Bernard is consistently able to find an open hole/crease and has the burst to get through it fast. Patient running with the ball, Bernard follows his blockers well, sits on their hip, can make the sharp cut off their blocks and gets through the front line of defense quickly. While Lacy also displays good instincts and finds the hole well when he keeps his head/eyes up, he lacks the explosive burst to consistently get through the hole before it closes. He often has to rely upon his playing strength to drive through contact as the hole starts to close before he gets through it and that will not be as effective in the NFL. The biggest issue is his bad habit of ducking his head down when he lowers his shoulders and this causes him to lose sight of the blockers and the potential hole, meaning he runs blind.

Although Lacy definitely needs to get quicker getting through holes, he has the size and strength to be a powerful runner between the tackles if he can. He has the playing strength and balance to run through arm/grab tackles and to keep his feet versus hard hits to always gain yards after contact and fall forward for the extra yard or two at the end of the run. Bernard is not as effective running between the tackles as he lacks the bulk and playing strength to break tackles and consistently gain yards after contact. Although Lacy is definitely a better inside runner, Bernard’s ability to get through a clean hole faster than Lacy and to make tacklers miss within the hole should enable him to be productive running between the tackles in the NFL. While inside running goes to Lacy, outside running is where Bernard separates himself.

Bernard has the quick burst and speed to get the edge and the sharp cutting ability to make the great cut-back to get through the backside hole. Not only effective on plays that start to the outside, he consistently has shown the ability to change directions fast and bounce the run outside when the inside hole is clogged up. Once he gets outside he is a dangerous runner as he can make sharp cuts to get to a hole/crease, has an explosive burst through the hole and the elusiveness to easily make tacklers miss. As opposed to Bernard, Lacy’s outside running is very dependent on the blocking he receives as he lacks the explosive burst and speed to get the corner consistently. While Bernard gets to full speed fast, Lacy needs time to build to full speed which hinders his ability to get outside in time. Whether it is an inside or outside run, to be successful, backs in the NFL must have the quickness, agility and balance to change directions fast enough to avoid defenders who shoot into the backfield or drive their blockers into the backfield before the play really gets started. While Bernard is a better outside runner and Lacy is better between the tackles, it is not close in terms of contributing as a receiver and making big plays when they have the ball in the open field.

Lacy catches the easy passes well enough, but he does not have the soft hands to adjust and make tough catches. In the games evaluated seemed to fight the ball more often than not. Once he catches the ball, he is a strong and aggressive runner after the catch that consistently gains yards after contact. He is not however an elusive runner and lacks home run speed to out-run angles and score long TD’s. Bernard on the other hand has soft hands and can pluck the ball easily, although occasionally he will take his eyes off the ball and lets it get into his body. After the catch, Bernard has the change of direction ability to easily make tacklers miss, is dangerous cutting back plays and has the speed to take plays the distance. The one area Lacy bests Bernard in the passing game is pass protection. Lacy is a strong and physical pass blocker who gets after man aggressively, stays over feet and has the strength to tie up and eliminate man. Bernard was not used much to stay in and pass block and when he was he was not effective as he lacks good technique and gives an inconsistent effort. He was usually asked to chip a defender as he went out on route and did just an adequate job doing that.

In the end, neither Lacy or Bernard warrants being selected in the first round in my opinion, but both have the tools to be solid starting backs. Lacy will need to do a better of job of keeping his head up to avoid losing vision and running into his blockers/traffic. His best chance of success is to be drafted by a power running team with a strong offensive line that can give him time and space to get to full speed before he has to deal with a tackler. Whereas Bernard is not going to be a power back, but with some added weight could turn out to be an excellent inside runner. He is a more dangerous big play back who can be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield, which is so vital in today’s NFL. I would draft Bernard ahead of Lacy if I were making the choice because he has the potential to contribute in more areas than Lacy and is a legit big play threat every time he touches the ball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I may be in the minority, but I don't think we need a RB at all in this draft.
I think we can make due with Pead, Richardson and Ganaway.
With a big assist from Ben Sirmans - who did a decent job with everyone last year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The Dude said:
With a big assist from Ben Sirmans - who did a decent job with everyone last year.

I concur. I think the three of them really make for a complete stable. Not sure if/how they divy up carries between Pead and Richardson, but Ganaway can certainly be a short yardage/goal line back. I still might give a slight edge to Richardson over Pead, but I think I'M in the minority there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
The Dude said:

I concur. I think the three of them really make for a complete stable. Not sure if/how they divy up carries between Pead and Richardson, but Ganaway can certainly be a short yardage/goal line back. I still might give a slight edge to Richardson over Pead, but I think I'M in the minority there.
I think it's prolly 50/50 on the Richardson/Pead debate. I'd lean more towards Pead due to his elusiveness in the open field and his bigger frame. But yeah. I think we're set at RB. It's time for Bradford to take the reins and become the focal point of the offense. It's nice to have support in the backfield, but ... I'd rather see some flawless game management from Sam and I'd like to see the team essentially give itself over to him as the leader now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The Dude said:

That's what I think. If there's a no brainer there, then maybe, but I don't think we need to go and get one early when we have other positions of need.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
The Dude said:

That's what I think. If there's a no brainer there, then maybe, but I don't think we need to go and get one early when we have other positions of need.

So...Say if Lattimore is sitting there in the 3rd. Do you take him?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
bluecoconuts said:
The Dude said:

I dunno. Depends on who else is there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
EastRam said:
bluecoconuts said:
The Dude said:

I think you have to try and target a starting player in the third. Starting the year that you pick them. Not enough reward/risk % with this player that early, IMO.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The Dude said:

I'm not the only one then :) I like the combination of all 3 and rotating all 3 of them will be a helluva job for defences ;)

I don't think we have the luxury of picking a RB in this draft, we have far too many holes on the roster to fill, and RB isn't one of them.