Laken Tomlinson praises Aaron Donald/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Laken Tomlinson praises Aaron Donald
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16354/laken-tomlinson-praises-aaron-donald

INDIANAPOLIS -- There is no doubt the St. Louis Rams could use an upgrade at guard. Whether through the NFL draft or in free agency, it's near the top of the list of offseason priorities.

If the Rams choose to go the draft route, Duke's Laken Tomlinson could certainly be an option. The 6-foot-3, 323-pound Tomlinson was one of the best and most consistent performers at January's Senior Bowl, and his stock has soared in the eyes of the media analysts and pundits (for what that's worth).

Should Tomlinson fall into the Rams' laps, he'll have a chance to square off against the player he deemed the best he's ever faced on a daily basis.

"The toughest D-lineman I played against in my career was Aaron Donald," Tomlinson said.

Donald played his college ball at Pittsburgh before the Rams made him the No. 13 overall pick in last year's draft. Donald went on to post nine sacks on his way to NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors and a spot in the Pro Bowl.

Put simply, Donald was also one of the toughest players for NFL linemen to block, something to which Tomlinson clearly relates.

"He's a really, really tough guy to block," Tomlinson said. "Really quick, fast-twitch, powerful guy. He moves well for a big-bodied person."

The Rams have been active talking to offensive linemen this week, and although it's uncertain if Tomlinson received a formal 15-minute interview, it's a safe bet that at least someone from the Rams will spend time with him before he leaves Indianapolis.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If it were me & I was in charge of utilizing the use of our second round #41 selection .....This would be our pick. Laken would be plugged in one of the vacant OG posts & turn him loose. Laken would be a major upgrade over Davin Joseph. This would put the Rams going in a positive way getting at least one OL post starting position done with. IMO this will be the first pure OG off the board he could go late in the first round.

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If it were me & I was in charge of utilizing the use of our second round #41 selection .....This would be our pick. Laken would be plugged in one of the vacant OG posts & turn him loose. Laken would be a major upgrade over Davin Joseph. This would put the Rams going in a positive way getting at least one OL post starting position done with. IMO this will be the first pure OG off the board he could go late in the first round.

This. He's also a really intelligent and insightful person. I'd love to plug him at LG and have him rub off on GRob a bit when it comes to the book smarts part. Add Havenstein in the 3rd and maybe trade the 6th and 7th for a 4th and get Gallik or Mason from GT. I'm so down with a complete O line draft this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Gotta disagree. Tomlinson's film isn't that great. He reminds me a lot of Gabe Jackson who got first round hype based on his size and athletic talent but never dominated in college the way he should have. I wouldn't be shocked if Tomlinson falls to the third.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like Laken, but I think this draft is particularly strong at the position, so teams will be able to pick their poison. I think he's a starting guard, and would be a steal in the third. He's strong, anchors great, and knows how to seal guys, using angles...something a lot of good guards struggle with. Love his feet too, they never stop.

jjab360

Legend
Donald was probably the toughest player any interior lineman he faced in college went up against. It'll be the same way very soon in the pros, kid is a monster.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Gotta disagree. Tomlinson's film isn't that great. He reminds me a lot of Gabe Jackson who got first round hype based on his size and athletic talent but never dominated in college the way he should have. I wouldn't be shocked if Tomlinson falls to the third.

Disagree. Tomlinson's film shows just how reliable he is. He's not a first rounder by any means, but he'll have a very long career as a starting guard (either left or right) in this league.

He dominated in the Senior Bowl. Just dominated.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. Tomlinson's film shows just how reliable he is. He's not a first rounder by any means, but he'll have a very long career as a starting guard (either left or right) in this league.

He dominated in the Senior Bowl. Just dominated.

Reliable is nice but he's a 320 to 330 pound OG with a lot of physical talent playing college ball. I don't expect just reliable. I expect dominance. And I didn't see that. I didn't see him blowing people off the ball in the run game and standing DTs up at the LOS in pass pro like Warford did. I saw a guy that sustained his blocks well and could use angles to create a seam but didn't really overpower and dominate people like you'd expect.

I also didn't think he was dominant at the Senior Bowl. Again, I felt he was just reliable.

And reliable is good...that's what Gabe Jackson was. Reliable. But I want dominant if I'm taking a pure OG in Round 1 or the top half of Round 2. I didn't see that in Tomlinson. Like Gabe Jackson, I think he'll be a solid OG in the NFL...but I'm just not seeing a great player.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Reliable is nice but he's a 320 to 330 pound OG with a lot of physical talent playing college ball. I don't expect just reliable. I expect dominance. And I didn't see that. I didn't see him blowing people off the ball in the run game and standing DTs up at the LOS in pass pro like Warford did. I saw a guy that sustained his blocks well and could use angles to create a seam but didn't really overpower and dominate people like you'd expect.

I also didn't think he was dominant at the Senior Bowl. Again, I felt he was just reliable.

And reliable is good...that's what Gabe Jackson was. Reliable. But I want dominant if I'm taking a pure OG in Round 1 or the top half of Round 2. I didn't see that in Tomlinson. Like Gabe Jackson, I think he'll be a solid OG in the NFL...but I'm just not seeing a great player.

That's why I thought that Warford was a first rounder (and so much better than Cooper and Warmack that it wasn't even funny). But I don't mind a reliable guard or center. It's better than the shit we've had to put up with over the years. It still helps the offensive line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why I thought that Warford was a first rounder (and so much better than Cooper and Warmack that it wasn't even funny). But I don't mind a reliable guard or center. It's better than the crap we've had to put up with over the years. It still helps the offensive line.

No doubt. But that's the type of guy I wouldn't look for until the late second to third. I'd love to see us grab a veteran swing OT and then come away with Scherff in a trade down to play LG and Daryl Williams in a trade down to compete with the veteran at RT. Would make me very happy. Both guys are punishing run blockers. Also wouldn't mind Sambrailo in the 2nd or 3rd but he likely needs a year in a NFL S&C program.

Then we can grab a guy like Havenstein or Matias in the mid rounds hopefully to add depth.

Memento

Name
Jemma
No doubt. But that's the type of guy I wouldn't look for until the late second to third. I'd love to see us grab a veteran swing OT and then come away with Scherff in a trade down to play LG and Daryl Williams in a trade down to compete with the veteran at RT. Would make me very happy. Both guys are punishing run blockers. Also wouldn't mind Sambrailo in the 2nd or 3rd but he likely needs a year in a NFL S&C program.

Then we can grab a guy like Havenstein or Matias in the mid rounds hopefully to add depth.

Please God, no to Scherff. I'd pick anyone else aside from him. I'd even go with Jameis Winston over Scherff. That should tell you how badly I think he's going to fail in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please God, no to Scherff. I'd pick anyone else aside from him. I'd even go with Jameis Winston over Scherff. That should tell you how badly I think he's going to fail in the NFL.

Really? I think Scherff will be one hell of an OG. At LT? Yea, he'll fail. But I think highly of him as an OG.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Really? I think Scherff will be one hell of an OG. At LT? Yea, he'll fail. But I think highly of him as an OG.

I can't imagine him succeeding as anything other than a right guard - and I think he'll be decent there at the very best. Would much rather have Collins or Clemmings.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't imagine him succeeding as anything other than a right guard - and I think he'll be decent there at the very best. Would much rather have Collins or Clemmings.

I think he's fine at either OG spot. Very good athlete in a straight-line, explosive out of his stance, very powerful, strong grip, and mean as a snake...has a lot of Harvey Dahl in him in that regard. His kick-slide is bad and I don't think he has the lateral range to play LT effectively. But at LG, that won't be a problem and because it's not a problem, it'll allow him to make use of his wide base and great strength.

I think really highly of him as LG...especially because I saw many of the same pass protection issues in Zack Martin last year at LT.

I would prefer both Collins and Clemmings at OT. I think I'd take Scherff over Collins at OG, though. Clemmings is a tough call for me but I think I'd take him over both at OG.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think he's fine at either OG spot. Very good athlete in a straight-line, explosive out of his stance, very powerful, strong grip, and mean as a snake...has a lot of Harvey Dahl in him in that regard. His kick-slide is bad and I don't think he has the lateral range to play LT effectively. But at LG, that won't be a problem and because it's not a problem, it'll allow him to make use of his wide base and great strength.

I think really highly of him as LG...especially because I saw many of the same pass protection issues in Zack Martin last year at LT.

I would prefer both Collins and Clemmings at OT. I think I'd take Scherff over Collins at OG, though. Clemmings is a tough call for me but I think I'd take him over both at OG.

Have to agree to disagree then. Because if we do draft Scherff just to play right guard for us, I'm going to be really upset.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Have to agree to disagree then. Because if we do draft Scherff just to play right guard for us, I'm going to be really upset.
I'm seriously thinking trade down, or taking White/Cooper, whatever your flavor is at #10, if we can't, then going OL, in the 2nd and 3rd.