LaFleur says he doesn't 'know what pass interference is anymore'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

The refs aren't gonna go against their own dpi non calls. If it's not obvious live they're not gonna overturn the call. The only thing the saints have done is slow down the game.

Agreed. And I don't think that's a bad thing tbh. I doubt any fan really wants a game where the slightest touch by the DB in super slo-mo results in a penalty. That's downright retarded.

I'm comfortable with how the refs have been using the reviews. What I don't like is seeing more of the refs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well we should have scored from the 1 yard line. We were stupid in passing on all 4 downs.
You have a young head coach calling plays and trying to manage the game, not to mention trying to manage the ego of your QB. He's gonna need time to develop tbh, not all these guys are going to adjust as quickly as McVay did.

Nice thing for you is you have pretty good representation at OC and DC. Better than most teams. So I think there's a chance you guys win that division as long as Rodgers doesn't get too much sand in his vaginal tract. He's going to have to be patient with the young HC as well.

Packfan18

Rookie
You have a young head coach calling plays and trying to manage the game, not to mention trying to manage the ego of your QB. He's gonna need time to develop tbh, not all these guys are going to adjust as quickly as McVay did.

Nice thing for you is you have pretty good representation at OC and DC. Better than most teams. So I think there's a chance you guys win that division as long as Rodgers doesn't get too much sand in his vaginal tract. He's going to have to be patient with the young HC as well.
I'm a diehard Pack fan as they come but most of us love having and appreciate having Arod on our team. Do we like Rodgers personally? No I think he's a jerk at times and throws his teammates under the bus when things don't go well. I hope his attitude improves fast.

Packfan18

Rookie

The Rams are easy to cheer for. I hate the Vikes, Bears, Patriots, Seahawks and the Saints.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've been saying all along if you want to make the refs more accountable, make it mandatory they have to answer media questions after a game. The players and coaches have to.

Pay them more if they want it. Make them full time. But make them answer for their calls or non calls. They will definitely try harder to get it right if they have to explain why they did or did not throw a flag.

Packfan18

Rookie
Also when you lost the SB last year it felt like my packers lost. I hate Brady and Belicheat. I hope someone beats them this year whether it's us, you of KC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RIP, replay review for pass interference

Through five weeks of regular-season action, it had become apparent that replay review would be used to overturn a non-call of pass interference only in the event of another Rams-Saints debacle. The first game of Week Six made this reality crystal clear.

Last in Thursday night’s game between the Giants and the Patriots, the officials on the field failed to spot a clear and obvious instance of pass interference committed against Giants receiver Golden Taint, as the road team tried to carve into a 21-point deficit at New England. New York coach Pat Shurmur, despite the ridiculously high bar that now applies to these situations, threw his challenge flag.

The league office quickly upheld the ruling on the field — so quickly that it underscored the message to all coaches: Don’t bother.

In March, the league reacted to the Rams-Saints debacle by making pass interference calls and non-calls subject to replay review. By September, the bar had been pushed so high that nothing short of a defensive player wiping out a receiver before the ball arrives will be deemed to be pass interference if the officials on the field fail to drop the flag.

That definitely wasn’t the manner in which NFL senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron had planned to apply replay to these situations. In his preseason explanations to entities like NFL Media, Riveron made it clear that he intended to reoficiate these plays, looking for clear and obvious visual evidence of significant hindrance even if the officials had failed to spot it. At some point between late August and Week One, someone (presumably, Commissioner Roger Goodell) had instructed Riveron that replay review simply will not be used that way.

Thursday night’s abrupt affirmation of the on-the-field non-call underscores the reality that Riveron has been told that the new procedure will be used only as a break-glass-in-event-of-emergency device for preventing a complete and total miscarriage of NFL justice — notwithstanding situations like the Taint play, where contact impeding the receiver from catching the ball was indeed clear and obvious.

The blatant nature of the early contact that kept Taint from catching the ball raises the question of whether the new protocol won’t be applied at all until the postseason, or at least until the outcome of a regular-season game rides on the final decision. With the Patriots up 21 and without nearly enough time for the Giants to close the gap, Riveron let it go. If New England had been leading by only seven points, would Riveron have given the Giants a flag for defensive pass interference?

For now, the smart approach for all coaches will be to assume that anything other than a receiver being blown up by a defensive back before the ball arrives won’t trigger a ruling of inteference via replay review, if the officials miss it in real time. Perhaps, in a close game, the outcome will be different.

Perhaps it won’t matter at all until the single-elimination round arrives.

Regardless, replay review of pass interference calls and non-calls clearly has been gutted to the point where it’s meaningless. With each passing regular-season game, it will be harder to break from the precedent that Riveron is creating, one decision at a time.

Come January, that could change. Come March, the league will have to figure out another way to correct blatant and obvious mistakes made by officials in key moments of games, because it’s clear that the change made by owners in March is being ignored by Riveron, at the behest of his superiors, perhaps until a blunder committed by the officials happens with a game on the line.

EasyE

Starter
no more replay....period

bring back the art of fooling the ref.....