LaFleur says he doesn't 'know what pass interference is anymore'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Matt LaFleur says he doesn't 'know what pass interference is anymore' following Packers' loss to Eagles

Matt LeFleur and the Packers have three pressing issues following their first loss of the season, a 34-27 defeat to the visiting Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday night.

While his team has a host of injuries to address (most notably to receiver Davante Adams's and running back Jamaal Williams), LeFleur also has to answer for an offense that failed to capitalize on two drives that stalled in the red zone. After failing to score on fourth-and-goal at the 1-yard-line, the Packers' final offensive play was an interception in the end zone that put the game on ice.

Offensive and defensive pass interference, which can be challenged for the first time this season, also played a role in Thursday night's outcome. While the Eagles were awarded a touchdown after officials initially ruled that tight end Zach Ertz had committed OPI, LeFleur lost his DPI challenge after it appeared that Eagles defensive back Avonte Maddox had made early contact on receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling on what would have been a big gain.

"I really don't know what pass interference is anymore," LaFleur said after the game, via the team's official website. "I'll just leave it at that."

The NFL's officiating Twitter handle reposted the play while reinforcing their determination that there was "no clear and obvious evidence" that Maddox had committed DPI.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1177415795665756160

"It was clear and obvious to me," LeFleur said, "but I'm not the one making the decision."

The league's decision to make review OPI and DPI is an attempt to rectify situations like the one that occurred near the end of last year's NFC Championship Game. And while the ability to challenge both OPI and DPI should help determine the clear winner of a game, Eagles-Packers was an example of how there are still questions with regard to what is and isn't pass interference.

Based on Thursday night's officiating, OPI and DPI will only be overturned if interference is clear and obvious, like what took place during January's NFC title game. Interference that is up for interpretation will likely not be overturned.

While LeFleur (and the rest of the NFL officials) are still trying to clearly decipher the true definition of pass interference, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is more focused on what Green Bay's offense can do to find a way to be more efficient in the red zone, regardless of what calls his team is or isn't getting from the officials.

"We can't have the two turnovers and we have to score in the red zone," said Rodgers, who threw for a season-best 422 yards on Thursday night. "It's one of those games we have to pick [the defense] up. They've been picking us up the first three weeks."

Rodgers is clearly not expecting to get a lift from officials, who are still having an impact on the outcome of games this season by virtue of instant replay.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The refs aren't gonna go against their own dpi non calls. If it's not obvious live they're not gonna overturn the call. The only thing the saints have done is slow down the game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can’t get with complaining about not getting penalty calls. The less flags the better. A bad flag/penalty is 100 times worse than a no call.
1st and goal at the 1 and you couldn’t get the ball in the Ez is on you

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iirc, pass interference review is a one year test. Looks like momentum is beginning to let it expire after this season.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Nobody should be surprised that replaying OPI/DPI will not stop controversy. There will be future games where it will be called a penalty.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I thought both of the PI reviews the other night should have been reversed and called PI. They looked obvious AF to me.

I feel like I don't know what a PI is anymore either. If those weren't PI the other night... we need to teach our DBs to do what we saw called legal the other night and no WR would ever be able to catch a pass again.

EasyE

Starter
i think a db's ability to disguise PI in real time is a talent. if u can fool the refs in real time, you are great at your job...

no replays for anything

fearsomefour

Legend
Nobody should be surprised that replaying OPI/DPI will not stop controversy. There will be future games where it will be called a penalty.
What it does, unintentionally, is again benefit the offense.
Under 2 minutes it is reviewed by NY, without a challenge, that is my understanding anyway. I may be wrong.
Under two minutes and need a TO? Throw a jump ball and have the WR jump into the defender and throw a fit.
Enjoy the 4 minute TO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1st and goal at the 1 and you couldn’t get the ball in the Ez is on you

You are correct.

It was 2nd down at the 3 yard line.

It's 4 down territory due to the score.

You have to run on 2nd down from the 3 yard line.

Bad play calling.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
For me, it’s like rubbing salt in a wound. First, they blow the PI calls, then even when it’s clear and obvious, they don’t overturn the call, AND they take a timeout away. It’s total crap, and just another way for refs, the NFL, to control the outcome of a games.

Forget this fooled the refs thing, in any other job, you screw up, you are accountable, and somebody has to fix those mistakes.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You are correct.

It was 2nd down at the 3 yard line.

It's 4 down territory due to the score.

You have to run on 2nd down from the 3 yard line.

Bad play calling.
second down they called an RPO, so it was Rodger's call.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Apparently there is one circumstance where pi will be called retroactively and we all know what that is. Seems like they did this just to shut Peyton up.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
What it does, unintentionally, is again benefit the offense.
Under 2 minutes it is reviewed by NY, without a challenge, that is my understanding anyway. I may be wrong.
Under two minutes and need a TO? Throw a jump ball and have the WR jump into the defender and throw a fit.
Enjoy the 4 minute TO.
What it is is awful. It is pandoras box. Every infraction will eventually become subject. And they will all be judgemental so nothing is solved.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
What ticks me off is this: I saw a play in the NFL (I think it was packers/eagles). DB was holding and prevented the WR from getting to his spot. But the DB let the receiver go before the QB threw the ball so the DPI review came up nothing. What's the point of a review if you can hold and get away with it on a review?

So the saints would have benefitted from the PI review in the NFC championship even though there was clear holding and a facemark against the saints. That blows. I hope Sean Peyton gets screwed from the rule he whined for.

fearsomefour

Legend
What it is is awful. It is pandoras box. Every infraction will eventually become subject. And they will all be judgemental so nothing is solved.
With the challenges, because they are unwilling to overturn judgement call, all it is doing is pointing out missed calls.

Packfan18

Rookie
Well we should have scored from the 1 yard line. We were stupid in passing on all 4 downs.