Lack of complete offense reason for pessimism at Rams' Bye/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Lack of complete offense reason for pessimism at Rams' bye
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...lete-offense-reason-for-pessimism-at-rams-bye

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Here we are at the St. Louis Rams' bye. It's only Week 6 and while most of the league will be in action today, the 2-3 Rams won't be.

So it's a good time to offer a look at three reasons for optimism and three reasons for pessimism for the team's final 11 games. Earlier today, we looked at the bright side. Now it's time for the potential negatives:

1. The offense hasn't put it all together: So far, the Rams offense has been as many suspected it would be. That's not a good thing. Entering Sunday's games, the Rams are last in the league in total offense and the only team averaging less than 300 yards per game (297). They're last in first downs with 72 and 29th in offensive points scored per game at 15.4.

It hasn't been all bad as Todd Gurley and the running game have revved up the past couple of weeks. But with that progress has come some regression. The Rams are 30th in passing yards per game behind a leaky offensive line that's had quarterback Nick Foles under more pressure than any signal-caller in the league except Seattle's Russell Wilson.

Compounding matters is a group of pass-catchers that's struggled to consistently gain separation or actually catch the ball. There are signs of a breakthrough, but still too many pieces that haven't come together. If and when they do, one has to wonder if it will be too late.

2. The injury bug bites: Save for cornerback E.J. Gaines, the Rams made it through the preseason and the early part of the regular season without any major injury issues. That's changed in recent weeks. Linebacker Alec Ogletree was playing at a Pro Bowl level before a fractured fibula landed him on the sideline. The Rams are holding out hope that they'll be in contention late in the season and Ogletree can return, but it's going to be hard to stay in contention without his services.

Guard Rodger Saffold is out for the season because of a shoulder injury, which has the Rams dipping into an already shallow pool of offensive linemen. End Chris Long is dealing with a hyperextended knee from which he's expected to return, but it remains to be seen when that will happen.

The Rams have a better roster than they've had in years, but they're already putting their depth to the test and probably aren't equipped to go much further into the depth chart and stay in the playoff mix.

3. Penalty regression: The Rams actually have improved quite a bit when it comes to penalties so far this season. They have 34 penalties in the first five games, which is tied for 13th fewest in the league. That's a good sign, right? Well, yes, but it also could portend a regression to what they've done in the past under coach Jeff Fisher.

Fisher's Rams entered 2015 with the most penalties in the league since 2012, when he took over. Each year, they have talked about reducing that number and each year they have failed. It's certainly possible that this is finally the year it happens, but history would suggest that they're due for more flags to fly their way as the season rolls on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm picking the Rams over the Browns in the Survivor Game..Thats all I nhave to say.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lack of complete offense? Seems like lack of any offense lately.

RamzFanz

Damnit
As is often quoted: "you are who your record says you are."

It's a silly saying with no meaning. It's like saying you are who your wallet says you are.

When you are playing with key injuries, you are not who your record says you are, you are who your injuries say you are. When you are learning a new scheme, you are not who your record says you are, you are who your experience says you are.

Are the Steelers who their record says without Big Ben? Nope. Not even close. When Big Ben returns the record will change, a lot.

Last season the Hawks were 3-3 and went on to the super bowl. How is that possible if 3-3 is who they were?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Depressing article.

I'm so glad our players don't have this mentality.

manmaderam

The one and only
I hope with Rodger Saffold, we might bring Isaiah Battle in. The guy needs some reps.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
It's a silly saying with no meaning. It's like saying you are who your wallet says you are.

When you are playing with key injuries, you are not who your record says you are, you are who your injuries say you are. When you are learning a new scheme, you are not who your record says you are, you are who your experience says you are.

Are the Steelers who their record says without Big Ben? Nope. Not even close. When Big Ben returns the record will change, a lot.

Last season the Hawks were 3-3 and went on to the super bowl. How is that possible if 3-3 is who they were?

Funny thing the English language. You're not what your record says you are, but you might be what your record says you were. Which isn't to say you won't be what your record says you might be, but you might not be what your record says.... what was the question again?:thinking:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
1. The offense hasn't put it all together: So far, the Rams offense has been as many suspected it would be. That's not a good thing. Entering Sunday's games, the Rams are last in the league in total offense and the only team averaging less than 300 yards per game (297). They're last in first downs with 72 and 29th in offensive points scored per game at 15.4.
and a bunch of you, esp. my boy @RamzFanz wanna blame a certain TE for all of this...It's not all on one man, except the MAIN man....and we all know who that is....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He did do the positive one before.
Every team has reasons for optimism and pessimism.

Maybe so. But a focusing on the negative is something I'll never get. Look at it, fix it, and move on.

Besides, points 2 and 3 in this article are really reaching for finding negatives.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Nope, it's my fault.
i-have-a-penis-blame-me-for-everything.png

fearsomefour

Legend
To me the comment about the Rams offense being last in the league in yards per game at 297 is both the positive and the negative. The O has been down right brutal at times and the team is sitting at 2-3, 2-0 in division with the toughest stretch of their schedule in the rear view. A 30% improvement in offense probably means winning more games than not going forward. I am the rarest of things (for me anyway, or Rams fans in general)....I am optimistic heading into the rest of the year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
and a bunch of you, esp. my boy @RamzFanz wanna blame a certain TE for all of this...It's not all on one man, except the MAIN man....and we all know who that is....

I don't blame Cook for the offensive issues. He just hasn't played well. He needs to be changed up because that can't continue. Rumor has it that he's on the trading block.

I have yet to hear a single person suggest anything along the lines of benching Foles.

Yes, in the end, the main man is Fisher. If he doesn't fix the o-line, we will not make the playoffs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LOL...naw, but he put the whole thing together....but I like what Fish has done...Players play...

I don't blame Cook for the offensive issues. He just hasn't played well. He needs to be changed up because that can't continue. Rumor has it that he's on the trading block.

I have yet to hear a single person suggest anything along the lines of benching Foles.

Yes, in the end, the main man is Fisher. If he doesn't fix the o-line, we will not make the playoffs.
Bench Foles?!? For what? Playing terribly? Nope, not yet he's just got here...He needs to elevate his level of play...He needs to be consistent...He needs to feed my boy Quick the rock....He really needs 5 more games...but if he went 3 more like the last game...I'd snatch him....

You can't possibly believe it's Foles fault that Jared Cook is a lazy piece of crap, right?
Lazy? Why is Cook lazy? What makes people say that? If Cook was indeed lazy...And Fisher & Boras continued to play him, then I'd be pissed...
It's Foles fault the entire offense is under-performing...Yeah he gets hit a bunch...new line, who would have figured they'd miss assignments?
Wagnor's article is pointing out some break week points that we need to get fixed before Cleveland....And it's on the players...everyone would have continued to believe the running game, specifically the o-line was run blocking terribly...until Todd Gurley touched the ball...The same is going on in the passing game...In fact, I'd like to see Cook, Quick, and Austin get the majority of the passes to prove that the plays do work, it's the chess pieces that are touching the ball that are fucking it up....Britt showed a couple games ago that he was open....then got banged up....Not sure if Sted & Tavon were open in GB...I suspect they were...but not open enough for some....and the ball was held...not all plays....just most plays...lots of late passes and under-thrown balls too...