LaAdrian Waddle - Released by the Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd claim him off waivers if I were the Rams. He's struggled mightily this year coming off a torn ACL late last year. And he's had problems staying healthy in the NFL thus far but prior to this year, he's played well for the Lions at RT. I might bring him in and see if I can develop him as an OG or a swing OT.

Health is a problem but considering we're getting him off waivers, I think it's a gamble worth taking.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, we sign guys who are healthy and they get hurt. So why not mix things up and try a guy who is oft injured? Something has to go our way, right?

manmaderam

The one and only
His salary is like $585,000. Which is not a bad little rent lol. Couldn't be any worse then what Davin Joseph was lol. Pretty young "vet" at 24. Has experience was hindered by injuries like Jake Long.

But alot of upswing for the kid. Could grade out to be a terrific backup for Havrnstein or something

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd claim him off waivers if I were the Rams. He's struggled mightily this year coming off a torn ACL late last year. And he's had problems staying healthy in the NFL thus far but prior to this year, he's played well for the Lions at RT. I might bring him in and see if I can develop him as an OG or a swing OT.

Health is a problem but considering we're getting him off waivers, I think it's a gamble worth taking.

I understand your concerns in this area @ swing OT. Tell me who would play OLT if GRob is injured? :thinking: However I can't go with you on this one jrry32.

He reminds me of a younger Rodger Saffold. With Injuries to Saffold, Brown, Havenstein, Williams & Donnal this season....I would hope to find another clone of OG/ORT Garrett Reynolds instead. I would make Saffold our #6 top swing OT in 2016 once healthy then hope that either second yr players like Battle or Williams can replace the swing OT Saffold in 2017.;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Making around the veteran minimum. Will be a RFA at the end of this year, I believe.
I guess I'm just confused on the upside of an injured OG that can't break the line-up of an O-line our defense with a limited CLong and no Quinn was pretty much able to get through all game. It looked to me like our O-line outplayed theirs. I don't see the Lions getting rid of a young O-lineman with upside unless either there is something wrong with the healing of that ACL or he simply isn't good enough. It's not like they don't need O-line help.

I'm all for bringing in players for depth but someone also has to go then. With 3 games left, I'm just failing to see what he adds. And if you are thinking depth for next year, I think I'd stick with our cadre of young linemen. Of course if they see what you apparently do then I will hope he turns out to be a great depth acquisition. I just don't see it.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I would be for trying him out. Nothing to lose. If nothing else, we still need depth as other have said.

I doubt Snisher goes for it though. If they wanted to roll the dice on an offensive lineman with a recent ACL tear Jake Long was available. And unlike Waddle, Long played very well for us before getting injured, is familiar with the organization, and has an elite body of work when healthy. The Rams still weren't interested (fair enough). The Falcons picked him up for cheap. Not sure if he has actually played for them to date though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I'm just confused on the upside of an injured OG that can't break the line-up of an O-line our defense with a limited CLong and no Quinn was pretty much able to get through all game. It looked to me like our O-line outplayed theirs. I don't see the Lions getting rid of a young O-lineman with upside unless either there is something wrong with the healing of that ACL or he simply isn't good enough. It's not like they don't need O-line help.

I'm all for bringing in players for depth but someone also has to go then. With 3 games left, I'm just failing to see what he adds. And if you are thinking depth for next year, I think I'd stick with our cadre of young linemen. Of course if they see what you apparently do then I will hope he turns out to be a great depth acquisition. I just don't see it.

He played well prior to his injury last year and the Lions have no spot at him at OG because they have 1st rounder Laken Tomlinson and Larry Warford starting there. I think he's a guy that might make a lot of sense to move inside.

Remember that a bad Raiders team cut Joe Barksdale who ended up being a pretty solid RT for us. I'd take a shot on a young player who has shown ability in the past.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand your concerns in this area @ swing OT. Tell me who would play OLT if GRob is injured? :thinking: However I can't go with you on this one jrry32.

He reminds me of a younger Rodger Saffold. With Injuries to Saffold, Brown, Havenstein, Williams & Donnal this season....I would hope to find another clone of OG/ORT Garrett Reynolds instead. I would make Saffold our #6 top swing OT in 2016 once healthy then hope that either second yr players like Battle or Williams can replace the swing OT Saffold in 2017.;)

I couldn't pay Saffold all that money to be a swing OT.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He played well prior to his injury last year and the Lions have no spot at him at OG because they have 1st rounder Laken Tomlinson and Larry Warford starting there. I think he's a guy that might make a lot of sense to move inside.

Remember that a bad Raiders team cut Joe Barksdale who ended up being a pretty solid RT for us. I'd take a shot on a young player who has shown ability in the past.
Except that he played RT for the Lions - right? From what I've read, he can't beat out the RT they have that is also underperforming.

BTW - you are talking about a Raiduh franchise that was in total cluster-F mode at the time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I couldn't pay Saffold all that money to be a swing OT.

Me either but if his contract dead $$ cap hit causes the Ram Org. to hesitate on releasing him once Saffold is healed & they continue on with Rodger Saffold on the roster. I can say the last thing I would want to do is depend on Saffold starting @ either OG and the repercussions that occur when he is carted off. I am so tired of all these musical OL chaired posts every-time Saffold goes down as a starter.

The above bothers me much more to a far degree, jrry32 than paying Saffold his 6 million to be teamed with GRob to assist & help those ongoing inconsistencies now going on @ the OLT post.

Now since we know that Havenstein has had injury issues that continue to date it would be a very smart to have a short term plug in veteran OT until those two young OT's are ready to assume their assigned posts @ OT again in 2016. I have big questions back up OT's Andrew Donnal, Isaiah Battle & Darrell Williams will be capable in 2016.

But the Saffold 2016 contract issue is one we have yet to discuss in detail. I need to get the full information on just what the cost will be to release Saffold and if the time Saffold is release plays into it.....But I know I am ready to move on from planning Saffold as a starter @ OG.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except that he played RT for the Lions - right? From what I've read, he can't beat out the RT they have that is also underperforming.

BTW - you are talking about a Raiduh franchise that was in total cluster-F mode at the time.

Yep, he did. But he's 6'6" 328. Has the size to move inside. He also gave up only 4.5 sacks over his first 18 starts before tearing his ACL.

The Lions are kind of in clusterfuck mode too...they fired their GM earlier this year.

Here's an article about him not being the same since tearing his ACL last year:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/12/ex-lions_rt_laadrian_waddle_wa.html
Waddle refused to make excuses while speaking with MLive before his release. But after several questions, he finally allowed that his surgically repaired knee was never right this season.

He tore his ACL in a game against the Minnesota Vikings on Dec. 14 of last season.

"Even now, just trying to get my body in tip top shape," he said. "Some of that is not being able to go through a training camp. But like I said, I'm not here to make excuses."

Tore his ACL almost exactly a year ago. I'd see if he can return to form as he distances himself from the injury. He's been bad this year...yes. But he was a quality player in his first two years. I'd pick him up and see if he can regain form. If he can, he could be a valuable swing OT or possibly a really good OG as he was a really good run blocker as a rookie.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me either but if his contract dead $$ cap hit causes the Ram Org. to hesitate on releasing him once Saffold is healed & they continue on with Rodger Saffold on the roster. I can say the last thing I would want to do is depend on Saffold starting @ either OG and the repercussions that occur when he is carted off. I am so tired of all these musical OL chaired posts every-time Saffold goes down as a starter.

The above bothers me much more to a far degree, jrry32 than paying Saffold his 6 million to be teamed with GRob to assist & help those ongoing inconsistencies now going on @ the OLT post.

Now since we know that Havenstein has had injury issues that continue to date it would be a very smart to have a short term plug in veteran OT until those two young OT's are ready to assume their assigned posts @ OT again in 2016. I have big questions back up OT's Andrew Donnal, Isaiah Battle & Darrell Williams will be capable in 2016.

But the Saffold 2016 contract issue is one we have yet to discuss in detail. I need to get the full information on just what the cost will be to release Saffold and if the time Saffold is release plays into it.....But I know I am ready to move on from planning Saffold as a starter @ OG.

Eh, I'd rather save the $3 million on Saffold and use that to get a FA that can stay healthy. I'm assuming Darrell Williams will be our swing OT if he can come back from his injury.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yep, he did. But he's 6'6" 328. Has the size to move inside. He also gave up only 4.5 sacks over his first 18 starts before tearing his ACL.

The Lions are kind of in clusterfuck mode too...they fired their GM earlier this year.

Here's an article about him not being the same since tearing his ACL last year:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/12/ex-lions_rt_laadrian_waddle_wa.html

Tore his ACL almost exactly a year ago. I'd see if he can return to form as he distances himself from the injury. He's been bad this year...yes. But he was a quality player in his first two years. I'd pick him up and see if he can regain form. If he can, he could be a valuable swing OT or possibly a really good OG as he was a really good run blocker as a rookie.
Fair enough. What player would you get rid of to make a spot for him? Or are you talking about in the off season and let him try to play into a spot?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough. What player would you get rid of to make a spot for him? Or are you talking about in the off season and let him try to play into a spot?

Eric Kush or Brian Folkerts. Both are backup Centers. Stash Waddle until next year. Or wait until he clears waivers and then sign him to a deal through the end of 2016.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, this sucks:
Patriots claimed WR Leonard Hankerson off waivers from the Falcons.

New England also added OL LaAdrian Waddle off waivers. Hankerson was released from I.R. after only two weeks, suggesting he's fully healthy. He had 26 catches, 327 yards, and three touchdowns in eight games and could push drop-prone Brandon LaFell for two-wide snaps. Waddle will provide right-tackle depth.