LA Times Take On Kroenke purchase.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah Inglewood is not a pretty city...I drove theough that exact area between the forum and HP the other day...its sad how bad the place is considering I went to elementary school at Kelso which is right across the street from the forum...back in the mid 80's that area was nice...it was was home to the Lakers dynasty

Which would actually make the case stronger - the gentrification of what was once a nice area and houses the newly renovated Forum. MSG bought the Forum and is viewing it as a world class concert venue. Would they do that in Shit Town?

It would be interesting to see that Stan actually bought the site though in order to bring his soccer team to the US. Here we've talked about such things as the Rams moving to England and then have it be pretty much the reverse of that. Also, that region would be a great soccer market. Not only that but the Forum is on West Manchester Blvd. Coincidence? :sneaky:

We're not going to change anything by getting upset about what Stan may or may not do with that property. We can only conjecture for now.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Yeah but why build it there? It seems better to build it near LA Live where the land is ready. Unless he really doesn't want to give AEG minority control... The location would make more money though, and he wouldn't need to pay as much to develop or anything.

That sounds about right. I was reading owners didn't want to come down here because AEG. So if he does plan on coming to LA it makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah but why build it there? It seems better to build it near LA Live where the land is ready. Unless he really doesn't want to give AEG minority control... The location would make more money though, and he wouldn't need to pay as much to develop or anything.

I googled the area around the Staples Center as the only time I've been there in the last 30 years has been at night to watch the Lakers play. The supposed ready land is a 15 acre parking lot. I realize most of the bridges have already been crossed aside from NFL approval but there is no tailgating space, no new hotel space, and traffic over there is already a nightmare just during Laker games where 19,000 fans watch a game. It would be pretty interesting to see 68,000 fans try to get in there. Not to mention that what little parking IIRR for the Lakers games is in that parking lot.

IF a stadium went in on Stan's new 60 acre site, how fast do you think Stan would come to terms on parking at the Hollywood Park site (if he doesn't already have assurances) and how long do you think it would take them to throw up a hotel or two where the race track sits.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well it got my attention but for a different reason,FWIW I think that word " thoroughly" was chosen to have effect, for emphasis, to elicit a reaction in the reader. The article also says this...........".but this is the first time a relocation-minded team owner has purchased a piece of L.A. land that could accommodate a stadium"

As of now Kroenke has never said he is "relocation minded"

I think this article has very little credibility because it makes assumptions that are clearly impossible to back .

Doesn't "move the needle " for me > I kind take it as a Bernie esque guy stirring the pot.

The unfortunate thing about all theses articles is they create " re-location fatigue" and someone just read that article and acquired a chip on their shoulder about Kroenke cuz someone played a little loose with the facts.

I'm thoroughly sick of "journalists" who try to make news instead of dispassionately reporting it.

Yep. I noticed that too and thought - huh. So this guy has inside information that apparently NO ONE else has - eh?

I suppose because I don't really have a dog in this fight, I don't get as emotional about it. I would certainly feel for St Louis fans if it were to happen but to me it is just another thing to talk about. I still don't see it happening. You have an owner that was raised in MO and fought hard to get an NFL team in St Louis and eventually was a major piece in the deal that brought a team FROM LA.

In this case, I don't see money as being the main motivating factor. I DO see a huge motivating factor being whether or not he can get the venue HE wants. He just doesn't strike me as someone who settles. My guess is that he is going to use whatever leverage he can pull together until he thinks he has gotten as many concessions as he can, then he will use that to build his own stadium in the St Louis area. He would be the bar none biggest fish in the tank in that market and would have (no offense intended to Stan) a shrine with his name on it. I have to think he is thinking legacy as part of anything he does at this point in his career. In the huge ocean that is LA, would he really be that biggest fish?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

This is rarely mentioned but the NFL charter disallows that type of deal. So AEG getting a piece of the team in return for building the stadium will never, ever happen. And without that AEG won't build a stadium. But that hasn't stopped people from claiming the Rams are moving there.

As Tony points out LA is controlled by the NFL. SK just grabbing some land for a stadium wouldn't' go over well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A couple of other articles.....

These are both well worth reading if you would like to educate yourself a little more on the whiole thing. There is going to be a shit ton of internet nonsense about this and in fact there already is.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Exclusive-Hollywood-Park-attracts-interest-from-NFLagain.html

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...la-gunners-franchise-mls-4005992#.UvKK6_ldVrB

Take 5 minutes to read these and it'll help a lot.

No offense Les but I'm not sure how that helps your argument.

Stan now owns 60 acres adjacent to Hollywood Park. Are you telling me that buying the 260 acres is outside of Stan's abilities or somehow not something he would do? Imagine the empire Stan could build on 320 acres in LA. Hotels, condos, mixed use, a stadium right next to the icon that is the Forum, plenty of tailgating space, maybe a water park or something similar? And if he is really interested in bringing an MLS team to LA - wouldn't it make sense to make the facility work for both soccer AND football?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Add up the cost of buying the extra land, then building the stadium then paying the NFL.

It would be silly of him.

550 million, at least, for the other land, plus the 90 million he just spent, plus 1.5 billion for a stadium and then say 700 million to the NFL.

We are well over 2.8 billion and could approach 3 billion if he were to do what you are saying. That's without building new offices and training facilities and stocking them with furniture and equipment.

Plus if he was going to bring in soccer he'd have to have a separate set of facilities and stadium for that team. That would add a lot of money onto the final tab.

No. Way. Jose.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Doesn't matter to me what he does.
Rams still play 16 games a year at least. I would still fly out for a couple games.

If he does he would control the LA market.
But as much as it will cost years to recoup those expenses. A new stadium in Fenton wouldn't be much more than his relocation fee.

Money wise it's a wash over 20 years. Unlike Baseball there is really no local billion
$$$$$ TV rights like the Dodgers or Angels got. He would make more per ass in the seats, make a couple more bucks a beer etc. But man that takes a long time make up his out of pocket costs.

But If Stan built a stadium and moved the Rams he could sell both and make a profit.
Or he could just build the stadium and sell it to who does move a team or the league for expansion.
It's not easy to get approval in LA to build anything.

And just how are those to other groups wanting to build a stadium coming along, any ground broke yet?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LA already has an MLS team, why bring a second one?
Dunno. I was just responding to the article. But maybe he is interested in doing the reverse with Soccer what the NFL keeps trying to do with football. I don't pretend to know if that is even possible with soccer though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Add up the cost of buying the extra land, then building the stadium then paying the NFL.

It would be silly of him.

550 million, at least, for the other land, plus the 90 million he just spent, plus 1.5 billion for a stadium and then say 700 million to the NFL.

We are well over 2.8 billion and could approach 3 billion if he were to do what you are saying. That's without building new offices and training facilities and stocking them with furniture and equipment.

Plus if he was going to bring in soccer he'd have to have a separate set of facilities and stadium for that team. That would add a lot of money onto the final tab.

No. Way. Jose.
It still comes down to ROI. And ROI is a projection MANY years out. Also, land in LA I dare say would gain in value far faster than land in St Louis or Fenton - especially if a destination facility was built there. In the grand scheme of things, the $700 million would be realized over a true ROI schedule on a project covering 320 acres in LA.

Any idea what the Fenton property might cost Stan IF he were able to buy it from the current owners? Also, being that there was an automobile plant on the site, what would the clean-up costs be? Most of those old facilities are pretty tainted. Is this one? I honestly don't know but it would be something to think about in the whole cost structure. Of everything being discussed, the Fenton site does look like the best possibility but I don't really know jack about the area, the site, or the current owner.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know enough about Fenton to comment. I'm guessing that SK will look around and discuss a few alternatives with the city, county and state and see where he can get the land cheapest.