LA Rams OLB Chris Garrett is ready for a larger role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With coach Chris Shula moving away from the OLB coaching position this season & going to coach the secondary there is a change of foot......Thad Bogardus's resume is primarily a DL coach with Coach Henderson. TB is entering his 6th season as a Ram. This might be good.

I believe that the two OLB/ER's are set with Floyd{30/7yr}-Hollins{26/4th yr}. The battles as to which of these young ER's will earn an MR53 position (when the regular season starts) is going to be fun to watch.

DC Morris & Thad Bogardus have four new rookies signed:

Drafted Daniel Hardy 6-2/240/R (played a ton of snaps with his hand in the turf.)
UDFA Benton Whitley 6-2 1/2/257/R (might be far more 43 DE)
UDFA Keir Thomas 6-11/2/272/R (appear far more DL than the edge)
UDFA Brayden Thomas 6-3/260/R (plays like a Morgan Fox clone with a nasty attitude!)

I like Hardy & Thomas the best. You throw in Chris Garrett who only saw 4 snaps in 2021 seaso be enough. Bottom line after the two starters this OLB cadre is very young & incredibly insufficient experience. This is why DC Morris might be forced to blend in his abundant amount of 43D prospects into his defensive front.

I have no faith Terrel Lewis can physically endure playing in the NFL. I would not include him to offer any help @ the OLB cadre.
Wow as usual @BonifayRam you should change your name to Grace because your analyses is simply amazing.

Great info on Thad Bogardus as Bogardus seems like he never played even in college he went to Elon University where he was a video coordinator moved on to become a Graduate Assistant at Ball State University and left Ball State in 2014 accepting a job with the Buffalo Bills as a Defensive Quality Control Coach.

From there Bogardus went to the Broncos as an intern and then came with Wade Phillips as part of Sean McVay's initial staff in 2017. McVay has mentioned him several times, I thought he would continue as just a defensive assistant, much like Zak Kromer, who has been an offensive Assistant since 2017, however, Bogardus finally got a bump in 2020 being Assistant DL Coach, last year Assistant Linebacker Coach and this year, he's overseeing a unit the OLB's.

I'm assuming he's worked with he's worked with Chris Beake in his stops at Denver so that relationship should be solid, but Bogardus seems to be very bright, however, I wonder about his ability because of never playing the game even at the collegiate level, but there has been some success and IMO, Beake although having the title of Inside Linebacker Coach, would seem to be more involved with that unit overall IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow as usual @BonifayRam you should change your name to Grace because your analyses is simply amazing.

Great info on Thad Bogardus as Bogardus seems like he never played even in college he went to Elon University where he was a video coordinator moved on to become a Graduate Assistant at Ball State University and left Ball State in 2014 accepting a job with the Buffalo Bills as a Defensive Quality Control Coach.

From there Bogardus went to the Broncos as an intern and then came with Wade Phillips as part of Sean McVay's initial staff in 2017. McVay has mentioned him several times, I thought he would continue as just a defensive assistant, much like Zak Kromer, who has been an offensive Assistant since 2017, however, Bogardus finally got a bump in 2020 being Assistant DL Coach, last year Assistant Linebacker Coach and this year, he's overseeing a unit the OLB's.

I'm assuming he's worked with he's worked with Chris Beake in his stops at Denver so that relationship should be solid, but Bogardus seems to be very bright, however, I wonder about his ability because of never playing the game even at the collegiate level, but there has been some success and IMO, Beake although having the title of Inside Linebacker Coach, would seem to be more involved with that unit overall IMO.
den all I can do from down here afar from the Rams location...is ascertain from what I can read & obtain in roster information and make-up.

I have Been hinting at the slow trending buildup in the 2022 roster of 43 DE's on this roster. Not sure why but the proof is right in our face.

I prefer the 34 D base defense myself so I am not advocating for any change of this base defense to the 43 D. DC Morris has a long history of running heavy usage during game action of DB's at the same time as the front half of his defense varies from snap to snap.

The interesting evidence in this pre-2022 season roster that Snead built has a good amount of 43 DE's type defenders vs. the puny amount of inexperienced/rookies UDFA's & 7th rd draft selections 34 ER's/OLB'ers.

I will be closely observing just where DC Morris can manufacture additional pass rush other than AD from this roster & which Defensive unit will provide that pash rush.....the DL/ ILB'ers/ OLB'ers/ corners or safeties. of course this will be worked out during TC & preseason.

Currently, I do not see the ER's/OLB'er cadre carrying the usual heavy load responsibility & it appears at this time he will get it from every unit not where he got it in 2021.

Last edited: