LA Rams OLB Chris Garrett is ready for a larger role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

3 reasons why LA Rams OLB Chris Garrett is ready for a larger role​

Being drafted by the LA Rams to rush the passer may sound like a dream opportunity for an NFL rookie until you begin to look at the details of the job. But for a rookie from a small college football program like outside linebacker Chris Garrett, Every moment of every day at training camp, preseason, and practice is 100 percent auditioning for the coaching staff. And that can take its toll on a young man who is acclimating to an entirely new life, team, coaching staff, and city.

Garrett was added to the team with the 252nd pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, a young man whose athleticism was off the charts, but whose background left a void of experience in facing top competition. That left the unanswered question that remains wholly answered to this day: Is Chris Garrett that good, or was his collegiate competition that bad?

His dominance in college is undeniable. He averaged better than a quarterback sack per game. He was dominating in a way that is seldom seen. And when he played for the LA Rams in the 2021 preseason, he literally took over the game. But then, in the season, he never seemed to show up on the field.

He was derailed when he contracted COVID-19 and was hit a bit hard as a result. That sidelined him for three weeks, perhaps the most critical period for a young rookie. We believe that will change this year. Why? We came prepared, and here are our top three reasons.

Reason III – He’s familiar with the routine

One year later, he is healthy and no longer a wide-eyed rookie. He will get a full training camp and will be included in personnel packages. Why? Well, basic onboarding. He is no longer subject to tours to find his way around the LA Rams facility. He knows who the coaches are and where their offices are located. He’s moved to his new location and had an entire year to learn the lay of the land.

This year he can focus on the football field, and not spend so much time trying to learn and absorb so many details about his surroundings. And the bonus to all of that is the simple fact that he already has a year of LA Rams football under his belt. He may not have seen much action on the football field in 2021, but that was as much about being derailed from his rookie development track as anything.

He’s the type of player who will not be tasked with stuffing the run. He’s a pass-rushing thoroughbred and will find himself going into games as part of a pass defense package initially.

Reason II – He’s too good not to step up

He didn’t see the field much early in 2021 because he was just not ready. Then he was injured, er, placed on the COVID-19 Reserve List. Because he was hit rather hard, he was quarantined for more than three weeks. That’s not just in a cast on the sidelines, mind you. That is bed rest, hanging out in a hotel room, and basically doing nothing related to football.

That’s a tough task for a rookie, particularly when developing requires a series of staged roles and mastering each one in sequence. He was learning how to play alongside Aaron Donald, how to team up with Leonard Floyd, and he was learning DC Raheem Morris’s defensive scheme and philosophy for the first time, alongside all of his teammates.

No shame in playing behind NFL legends

Finally, he played behind veteran OLBs Leonard Floyd and Von Miller. He was hard-pressed to crack that lineup. Still, he was not encased in carbonite. He was practicing. He was learning from his veteran teammates. He was hitting the weight room, stepping onto the practice field, and improving a little bit each day in the process.

While young players do learn as much as they can in college football, the learning process does not stop there. Garrett proved in preseason that he has the speed, agility, power, and mindset to succeed at the position. After learning and training for a full year, he has leveled up and is ready to be tasked with more. While I won’t foolishly proclaim that what he did in college will be repeated in the NFL, I do think that he is too good to sit on the bench and be covered with moss.

Reason I – The LA Rams have the opportunity for him to do so

The LA Rams suffered two losses of players to the NFL Free Agency market in the 2022 off-season. Not only did the team fail to sign veteran outside linebacker Von Miller, but the team lost pesky rotational edge rusher Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. That is not just a playoff starter gone, but a solid rotational player who had been a steady contributor to the team.

While there is little chance for Chris Garrett to jump from bench to starter, there is every chance for Garrett to be slotted into Obo’s vacated role. Obo appeared in 13 games, played 255 defensive snaps, and added 15 tackles, six quarterback hits, two forced fumbles, and 2.0 quarterback sacks. That is the opportunity for Garrett in the 2022 NFL season.

Rams Roster: A significant defensive contributor

Obo did not have a single defensive snap until October 2021, and Garrett’s first season may follow a similar track. He won’t be thrown to the wolves, and that means that he will need to prove himself more than ready to be on the football field. But once he gets out there, he will make a name for himself quickly.

I suspect that his production will be a bit episodic. He won’t have the steady type of production that is a clear indication that he has mastered the role. But he could put up multiple quarterback sacks/hits/ and pressures in a single game and then go a game or two without, throughout his first season. And that is just how it goes for young players breaking into the league.

He has lightning speed and may be the only player on the LA Rams roster who could beat Aaron Donald to the quarterback. But he will grow through trial and error. The good news is: The LA Rams will give him the opportunity to do so.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
To me Garrett is a complete unknown.
Anything out of him would be a pleasant surprise.

Rams have been very good at developing players in the McVay era, so there is definitely hope

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m a huge Garrett fan.

Covid - he didn’t get Vac’d & was the only Ram player(53) not to. It’s a shame in one way that he missed so much time,but shows me why I think it was important to get Vac’d.The chance of dying or severe sickness.
He sort of got lucky(unlucky) depending on how anyone wants to look at it.In a few ways it was a blessing ,from a greedy way as a Rams fan as well.

Training Camp he was the player I looked for the Most In training camp.
He was in visible.That guy O-Whatever showed up more than him. I was looking for the DREDDS.

The way he finished the preseason was awesome.Pure pass rusher. He has the skill & the speed.Putting it together will be interesting.

Von Miller was special & without the injuries would have never happed either. The guy besides OBO was LAwYer ?? He got hurt as well.

The Rams have the Young Dawgs ready to go. Hollins is underrated,at least by myself last season at this time. Really curious to get a look & see The Rams players improvements !!

oldnotdead

Legend
Garrett had a good preseason last year. But it also showed he needed a lot of work on his technique. He simply showed a bull rush with no counters. That isn't going to translate when his competition is better. If he can show he's capable of expanding his repertoire beyond a bull rush I think he can contribute this year. IMO he's in line to take Okoronkwo's snaps this season.

That said I think he's going to be pushed by Daniel Hardy. Hardy is also raw but in some ways not as much as Garrett. I think Hardy's style of play translates better to the NFL. I'm really excited to see what Hardy brings to the table in TC. I like Garrett but I like Hardy more.

The key actually is Lewis finally stepping up and performing at a much more consistent level. If he does he can be that missing edge they need. He flashed his potential last year. He needs to put it all together this year.

The Rams have 3 guys who could have a breakout season. I think how they look in TC will go a long way in deciding if the Rams are in the market for another edge.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The key actually is Lewis finally stepping up and performing at a much more consistent level. If he does he can be that missing edge they need. He flashed his potential last year. He needs to put it all together this year.

The Rams have 3 guys who could have a breakout season. I think how they look in TC will go a long way in deciding if the Rams are in the market for another edge.
IMO, with Lewis, it's more about availability then ability. IDK with that knee if Lewis can last the who season. Great takes on Garrett & Hardy, I agree that Garrett should be able to match Okoronkwo's production at the minimum.

As to Daniel Hardy, I will take a wait & see approach, Garrett is slightly bigger an inch taller and about 5 pounds heavier, however, Hardy's pure athletic ability is off the charts and my concern is the new OLB Coach Thad Bogardus and this is his first opportunity overseeing a position. Not sure how he will do, but Rams need this unit to excel come September and I'm anxious to see who steps up, but also, who is on the short list for trade options too.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Looking forward to camp reports to see how this group progresses. After a year with the team and no playing time Garrett has got to be burning to show what he’s got. Needs to be more than just a pass rusher for this defense. Containment and setting an edge are just as important.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looking forward to camp reports to see how this group progresses. After a year with the team and no playing time Garrett has got to be burning to show what he’s got. Needs to be more than just a pass rusher for this defense. Containment and setting an edge are just as important.
IMO he looks at his best playing RDE/OLB. He gets off the ball so quick.I can’t say much else as in a LBer. Last training camp he was hard to spot & took time to get up to speed. I’m sure if I looked up an article he talked about finding himself.
I don’t see him playing much special teams. Could be wrong? This new rookie Hardy should be a guy that makes the team because of it.

oldnotdead

Legend
Terrell Lewis being injury prone is certainly an issue. But he was only playing about 40 snaps per game of say 60 snaps possible. Floyd averaged 54 snaps last year over 17 games. Part of that was an attempt to keep him physically available and the other part was his inconsistent play due to poor technique.

In proper context, Lewis missed all of 2020 and a lot of games in college. This put him behind the developmental curve. That trend of injury seems to be continuing so it's a more than valid concern. The Rams can't gauge what level of player he is because of all the missed time. This is a make or break year for him. He has two years left on his rookie contract, but he must be pretty much injury free this year but most of all show significant progress in his development. If not the Rams will move on from him. and they will either target an edge in the 2023 draft or more likely look at a vet edge to trade for. If the Rams get a long term solution with a veteran edge, Lewis' days as a Ram will be numbered.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Reason IV: Because he looks like he can do it

:laugh4:
1657110179115.png

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Garrett showed some nice flashes last preseason and I like his story... I really hope he can step up on pass rush downs.

As for Lewis.. I can't expect anything from him.. I can hope.. but can't expect. The fact that he was inactive once Von came in is a HUGE red flag.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Garrett showed some nice flashes last preseason and I like his story... I really hope he can step up on pass rush downs.

As for Lewis.. I can't expect anything from him.. I can hope.. but can't expect. The fact that he was inactive once Von came in is a HUGE red flag.

Not really, Hollins took over his spot.It’s better he got healthy than to push him through injury. He will & can play hurt. He is a solid player with a big upside. Gronk is still feeling that hit across the middle.
You can have all your doubts you want. He still is a Dawg!!

dang

Legend
Not really, Hollins took over his spot.It’s better he got healthy than to push him through injury. He will & can play hurt. He is a solid player with a big upside. Gronk is still feeling that hit across the middle.
Man if the Rams could get Lewis close to 100% and put him on a 60% usage pitch count. It likely solves the Miller loss.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Man if the Rams could get Lewis close to 100% and put him on a 60% usage pitch count. It likely solves the Miller loss.
I’m not sure they play the same position.Lewis is not a pure pass rusher.IMO Garrett actually has better skills off the edge.
I agree though that if he plays the way he is suppose to then that is going to really help.
It’s a hard call knowing without certain information.Like I say, I go to training camp & watch games.Always trying to get a gadge on what’s going on.
When Floyd said he was playing hurt in 2021,to me it’s a tell on his limitations.Terrell Lewis is better rushing & playing on the LOLB/LDE. He has long arms & is fast.The problem I see is his speed getting out of his 3 point stance.He has good power & strength.IMO that is where he may never be that guy.He plays a good LBer though & is Great on the Delayed Blitz which sets him up working next to AD99 ?

Maybe I’m totally wrong,but going to make a stand that I’m more right than wrong.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He's a dawg with a bad knee.
When was he "hurt" last year? Looks more like he was shut down.. and that makes me think he just can't be counted on. I've loved what I've seen on the field, but he hasn't been on it nearly enough in two seasons.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's a dawg with a bad knee.
When was he "hurt" last year? Looks more like he was shut down.. and that makes me think he just can't be counted on. I've loved what I've seen on the field, but he hasn't been on it nearly enough in two seasons.

We’ll I’ll count on Reggie,co. & the coaching staff.Special teams counts for extra roster spots.If certain players got hurt he would have been next man up at LBer.
The extra time should only help him be in his best health probably ever. We can come to an agreement later in the season. I hear what your saying & all the doubters.
Tutu Atwell I believe in as well. I think it’s easier to give up on players and not be let down if they fail.

Ram65

Legend
Here is a link to his measurables. They are not as impressive as you would think. He does seem to get off the ball quickly with quick feet for a change of direction with good balance. He has a solid 78" wing span for good leverage. He needs to add a few LBs and get stronger. He appears to have good instincts too. I see the ability to get around the edge or make quick counter moves for a quick inside rush. The question is can he do against NFL offensive lineman? We will see.

LBer

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/chris-garrett?position=EDGE

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Chris Garrett {at this point in his very early career} might do better going up against the athletic LT's than the usually powered-up RT's. CG's overall power would seem to have been the problem for him last season. CG did have that real big preseason #2 game against LVR playing on the right OLB side of the defense going up against those second-tier LT's.

I really liked what I observed the few times he got on the field in 2 preseason games. CG was not on the field in PS gms #1. I hope I can get a chance to see some of the preseason gms way down here in the deep south.

With coach Chris Shula moving away from the OLB coaching position this season & going to coach the secondary there is a change of foot......Thad Bogardus's resume is primarily a DL coach with Coach Henderson. TB is entering his 6th season as a Ram. This might be good.

I believe that the two OLB/ER's are set with Floyd{30/7yr}-Hollins{26/4th yr}. The battles as to which of these young ER's will earn an MR53 position (when the regular season starts) is going to be fun to watch.

DC Morris & Thad Bogardus have four new rookies signed:

Drafted Daniel Hardy 6-2/240/R (played a ton of snaps with his hand in the turf.)
UDFA Benton Whitley 6-2 1/2/257/R (might be far more 43 DE)
UDFA Keir Thomas 6-11/2/272/R (appear far more DL than the edge)
UDFA Brayden Thomas 6-3/260/R (plays like a Morgan Fox clone with a nasty attitude!)

I like Hardy & Thomas the best. You throw in Chris Garrett who only saw 4 snaps in 2021 season & this could be enough. Bottom line after the two starters this OLB cadre is very young & incredibly insufficient experience. This is why DC Morris might be forced to blend in his abundant amount of 43D prospects into his defensive front.

I have no faith Terrel Lewis can physically endure playing in the NFL. I would not include him to offer any help @ the OLB cadre.

Last edited: