LA Rams Must Add Targets Through Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/22/pro-rams-free-agency-previews/

JbBwyBh.jpg

There is an obvious glaring need for the Los Angeles Rams heading into 2016, and it’s every position on offense outside of running back. There are a few holes on the defensive side of the ball, but they have to do better than their 17.5 points per game in 2015 to have any chance of making the playoffs. The Rams have already started their housecleaning process in preparation for free agency by releasing Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, and Jared Cook. That leaves them with a projected $58 million in cap space to work with, one of the highest figures in the league.

Re-sign

CB Trumaine Johnson and/or CB Janoris Jenkins

I say and/or here because resigning two young starting cornerbacks coming off of career years could start getting pricey, but cornerback is quickly becoming one of the most premium positions in the NFL. If I had to choose between the two, I’d likely go with Johnson for the consistency over his career, but with his length (6-foot-2-inches) and seven interceptions a year ago, he may be the higher priced of the two.

FS Rodney McLeod

McLeod is another piece that needs to be retained from their solid secondary. The former undrafted free agent has developed into one of the better coverage safeties over the last two seasons, and finished 2015 as our 10th-highest graded safety overall.

DE William Hayes

This one is a no-brainer. With Chris Long out of the picture and Eugene Sims also a free agent, Hayes will be in line for a large snap increase if he returns. The 31-year-old has always excelled in a backup role for the Rams, but took it to the next level this year with an increase in snaps, and was our 11th-highest graded edge defender. Coming on so strong late in his career, Hayes likely won’t have a huge market beating down his door, similar to Jason Hatcher a couple years back.

WR Brian Quick

There was a time at the beginning of the 2014 season when it looked like Quick might turn into the No. 1 receiver that the Rams so desperately need. After injury cut short his season that year, the former second-round pick never quite recaptured that form in 2015, hauling in only 10 of his 32 targets on the season. They’ll be very little market for Quick in free agency, so it’s worth bringing back a guy who they’ve spent four years developing already.

Let walk

C Tim Barnes

The former undrafted free agent was our 24th-ranked center last year in his first full season as a starter. With so much invested along the offensive line from the 2015 draft, it’s worth looking there for a starting center in 2016.

DT Nick Fairley

Fairley is a great fit for the Rams’ scheme and put up a fantastic season with the team last year, but someone else is going to pay him like a starter. Fairley’s build isn’t suited for the nose, and with Aaron Donald already manning the three-tech position better than anyone else in the NFL, Los Angeles would be silly to pay big money to a backup.

S/LB Mark Barron

Quality safety/linebacker hybrids are an invaluable weapon in modern defenses, and the Rams would love to have Barron back, but the question then becomes, for what price? He may be a man without a defined role, with Alec Ogletree returning and his top-10 pedigree likely pushing the price too high.

Target

WR Alshon Jeffery

Jeffery could be the true No. 1 receiver that the Rams haven’t had since Torry Holt. He won’t be cheap, as he’s the only receiver that matches said description in free agency, but Los Angeles is desperate.

LT Kelvin Beachum

Beachum is only two seasons in, but it’s time to seriously reconsider Greg Robinson’s role as the starting left tackle. Robinson has been among the lowest-graded left tackles in each of his first two seasons, and he has a myriad of issues that can’t just be fixed overnight. Beachum would be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in pass protection, and provide some stability on the edge.

TE Ladarius Green

The Rams simply need as many weapons as they can get on offense. Green has been stuck as a backup to Antonio Gates his entire career, but even in limited snaps, he’s always graded out extremely well as a receiver. His 79.1 receiving grade in 2015 trumps Jared Cook’s 47.7 grade by some margin.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know if these guys follow the news much. I mean, apparently not, because letting Barron walk flies right in the face of what the Rams say they want to do with him and Ogletree.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Re-sign
T.Johnson
J.Jenkins
M.Barron
W.Hayes
T.Barnes

Let walk
B.Quick
R.McLeod
N.Fairley

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Re-sign
T.Johnson
J.Jenkins
M.Barron
W.Hayes
T.Barnes

Let walk
B.Quick
R.McLeod
N.Fairley

No way do I let McLeod walk. I'd rather Barnes walk and keep McLeod. He has gotten better and better every single year, and I thing he makes receivers fear a jump ball over the center field. McDonald does too, but McLeod has proven to be durable.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No way do I let McLeod walk. I'd rather Barnes walk and keep McLeod. He has gotten better and better every single year, and I thing he makes receivers fear a jump ball over the center field. McDonald does too, but McLeod has proven to be durable.
I hear ya. I'm a McLeod fan and if affordable would prefer to retain him if possible, but from my perspective we have younger guys who are ready to step in there at Safety. TJ Mac is an option with the emergence of Mo Alexander. I expect Lamarcus Joyner's role to expand too. The same cant be said at Center and i really believe this yearly revolving door preventing a single, 5 man cohesive offensive line needs to stop. Barnes has been developing here and will look much better as the young guys around him develop IMO. Its time for continuity there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Generally speaking....
There are a few areas of continuity that should define this offseason heading into 2016.
1. Defense as a whole
2. Offensive line
3. Running backs

Then the areas that need an overhaul
1. QB
2. WR

JMO

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would we pay the money for Alshon Jeffrey when we do not have a number one QB in the house right now. If you are going to spend money on the offense in free agency this year, let it be the on the offensive line or the quarterback.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why would we pay the money for Alshon Jeffrey when we do not have a number one QB in the house right now.
Yeah i'm not really on board with that either, maybe for different reasons though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Re-sign
T.Johnson
J.Jenkins
M.Barron
W.Hayes
R.McLeod

Let walk
B.Quick
T.Barnes
N.Fairley

FA sign
A.Mack
L.Green

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah... I was wondering if this was written before the writer had a chance to know about JL55. I feel like Barron is very likely to be re-signed after 55's release.

I'd move on from Quick. With a quickness.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Chicago it's being reported will likely use the franchise tag on Alshon Jeffrey. So he won't hit FA.

Adjust your FA thoughts accordingly.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Chicago it's being reported will likely use the franchise tag on Alshon Jeffrey. So he won't hit FA.

Adjust your FA thoughts accordingly.

Easy call by them. Got a good amount of cap and he's the obvious priority.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

YES ^^^^

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Why is everyone so quick to move on from Fairley? He played well last year and we don't know what Brockers will do next season. Don't get rid of players just because they might be signed in the offseason. He probably likes it here and he fits perfectly in our scheme.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why is everyone so quick to move on from Fairley? He played well last year and we don't know what Brockers will do next season. Don't get rid of players just because they might be signed in the offseason. He probably likes it here and he fits perfectly in our scheme.
I'm in favor of keeping him for sure. He played his ass off.
I don't know if we'll be able to afford to keep him though.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I don't know if these guys follow the news much. I mean, apparently not, because letting Barron walk flies right in the face of what the Rams say they want to do with him and Ogletree.
Yeah, I don't know who this "analyst" is but here's an example of what he thought of the Rams during the season: http://www.nbcsports.com/video/rams-downward-spiral-will-continue-against-lions . Even ignoring the fact he's like 13 years old, I think it's pretty clear he doesn't know anything about the Rams other than what he's read on the internet. Which is what us juvenile delinquents here do already. :p

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Failed in the first sentence

"There is an obvious glaring need for the Los Angeles Rams heading into 2016, and it’s every position on offense outside of running back." This guy isn't an analyst he is some dick trying to get paid for blah blah blah sensationalized BS about a team he doesn't know.

There are a few holes that we need to fill but I don't like the idea of dropping huge money on someone else's FAs. I would be good with keeping everyone else who was a starter both sides of the ball. Fairly if he wants to stay and get back up money too.

Get at least one of Jones or Kearse in FA.

I don't think there is enough draft capital and too many needs to try and get Goff so there probably isn't a QB in this year's draft for them. Get Treadwell if he's there. A new MLB and TE. Don't reach for guys and find a new PK.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re-Sign:
One of Jenks/Tru
Barron
Hayes

Sign:
Solid passing game target (Fleener, Kearse, Jones, etc)
DT for the rotation

That's really all they need to do in FA. They have a great eye for DBs in the draft and depth at CB and safety that it is time to utilize. McLeod was coached up by a great staff, TJM will be even better and they have Alexander also waiting in the wings. The better the passing game target addition is, the better this team will be. IF for example it ends up being Jeffery this offense will be ready to roll. But even a lesser option helps the offense out a lot plus they have the draft.

At Center they can add Barnes if he's cheap, if not let him walk. There are some very good centers that will be going midrounds, Rams can upgrade there.

No team has a perfect roster, and when it comes to FA all fans seem to see is the holes on their team. The Rams have a lot of pieces in place, just add a couple key ones and bring back a few key ones and they'll be in business.