LA Rams-LA Chargers: Winners & Losers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/26/16210014/la-rams-la-chargers-recap-winners-losers

The Los Angeles Rams faced off against the Los Angeles Chargers in the #FightforLA. It was not much of a battle for the starters, folks.The Chargers came out of the gates running, while the Rams were caught flat-footed. Even with the less than impressive showing, who caught the eyes of spectators in the loss?

Winners
RB Malcolm Brown
With RB Todd Gurley not suiting up, Brown received the start against the Chargers. With heavy running and the willingness to go through defenders, Brown impressed to the tune of nine carries for 44 yards. He solidified his role as the RB2 to Gurley.Not bad for a former UDFA.

WR Josh Reynolds

The fourth-round pick out of Texas A&M showed out once again this week. After catching the game-winning TD last week against the Oakland Raiders, Reynolds struck again. After taking a vicious hit, Reynolds reeled in a 38-yard TD on a well placed ball from QB Sean Mannion. The rookie took advantage of WR Cooper Kupp’s absence, finishing with three catches for 71 yards and a TD.

WR Pharoh Cooper
Cooper has been having a rock solid training camp and preseason, and continued that tonight. Reeling in five catches for 70 yards, Coop could be carving out a nice little niche for himself.

HC Sean McVay
The youngest coach in NFL history has impressed me through his first three, albeit preseason, games. After falling down 21-0, McVay stayed calm and composed and was able to lead the team back into the game. Another plus is McVay challenged a play and.....wait for it....was able to actually FIND his flag. That is a victory in its own right, as we know head coaches of over 25+ years who struggle with that...

Losers
QB Jared Goff
After impressing last week against the Raiders, Goff got off to a nice start tonight against the Chargers. Looking calm and collected, that all changed on a strip sack from Joey Bosa. The play seemed to rattle Goff as he never seemed to recover, throwing a horrendous INT on the ensuing drive. After showing so much potential last week, tonight was a major step back for the Rams’ QB.

S Lamarcus Joyner
While Joyner didn’t play long, he didn’t look good. Surrounded by backup players, Joyner got absolutely burned by Chargers WR Travis Benjamin for a long TD on the opening drive. As someone many have predicted as a potential breakout player, Joyner MUST improve off of what we saw today.

WR Nelson Spruce
Everyone’s (though not my) favorite receiver may be seeing his Rams career coming to an end. With continued injury problems and limited athletic ability, it’s hard to see how Spruce sticks around. He had a great chance tonight to prove his worth, but wasn’t even dressed. This seems like the end of the line for the fan favorite, barring a miracle.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree about Goff. The interception was not good, but I think it was just a mental mistake. More experience will solve those kinds of problems. JMHO, of course. I also think Mannion was a winner.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmm

I can't believe Spruuuuce can't stay healthy....I just wanna SEE:shocking:....#1 reason I'd make PED's available to players....with monitoring and such

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
a Sack and an INT is a major step back? you better tell all the top 10 QB's that because they all did it this weekend. Bosa made a good play period it happens to all QB's the int was a bad throw that also happens to all QB's no step back at all just didn't go as you wanted it to.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hmmmm

I can't believe Spruuuuce can't stay healthy....I just wanna SEE:shocking:....#1 reason I'd make PED's available to players....with monitoring and such
You missed your chance to bring up Lamarcus Joyner's poor pre season on me???Are you under the weather?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
You missed your chance to bring up Lamarcus Joyner's poor pre season on me???Are you under the weather?
Joyner had an awful preseason last year too. All he did was step in and become a top 10 nickel/slot corner during the regular season.

Goff's lack of confidence has me worried tho, especially on that INT. He needs to own the mindset of being able to move on to the next series after making critical mistakes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You missed your chance to bring up Lamarcus Joyner's poor pre season on me???
Everytime I see the "real" Honeybadger....Tyronne M. I think, and Boni thinks Joyner is like this?!?! LOL....when he was used in the Raiders game....I already knew...this dude at FS is a problem. 4 plays...and he's involved in them? Negatively....That's like relying on Higbee to move the sticks...or Tavon...asking for trouble. So, I gave him a pass for his terrible play vs the Chargers...I wonder will he play vs the Pack?

So many corners and safeties in the last 2 drafts we could have grabbed. I've said many times, guys like Donald, Quinn...they cover the ills of some of our secondary...now, JJ's gone....TJ is gone...Even McLeod is gone...and Joyner, Mo, Davis...and Tru...will have to stand on their own merits...

So, I still think pressure will save Joyner most plays...without pressure...you see what happens....

What's funny, you didn't like Marqui Christian because he threw himself around without wrapping....Now every play I see Joyner, he's launching himself at ball carriers....rarely if ever seeing what he hits...lololol...talk about reckless...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Everytime I see the "real" Honeybadger....Tyronne M. I think, and Boni thinks Joyner is like this?!?! LOL....when he was used in the Raiders game....I already knew...this dude at FS is a problem. 4 plays...and he's involved in them? Negatively....That's like relying on Higbee to move the sticks...or Tavon...asking for trouble. So, I gave him a pass for his terrible play vs the Chargers...I wonder will he play vs the Pack?

So many corners and safeties in the last 2 drafts we could have grabbed. I've said many times, guys like Donald, Quinn...they cover the ills of some of our secondary...now, JJ's gone....TJ is gone...Even McLeod is gone...and Joyner, Mo, Davis...and Tru...will have to stand on their own merits...

So, I still think pressure will save Joyner most plays...without pressure...you see what happens....

What's funny, you didn't like Marqui Christian because he threw himself around without wrapping....Now every play I see Joyner, he's launching himself at ball carriers....rarely if ever seeing what he hits...lololol...talk about reckless...
I have been sadly disappointed in LJ's pre season thus far. To offer up some defense of LJ he has seen more Nickle than FS. I would have to say this that in the first 2 gms Countess gave the best performance of all the safeties but he fell off a bit last Saturday when the Rams front seven was a bunch of back ups with a HD dose of 3rd & 4th teamers in the LB'ing cadre. Zero presser placed on the Chargers QB. The best presser I saw was from ISLB'er Josh Forrest.

SS Marqui Christian had a good game Saturday but he had his fair share of misses too. On your thought of the losses of JJ, TJ & Rod well they had to go so we could sign Aaron Donald instead:ROFLMAO:.

P.S. Josh Forrest has an very unusual talent to be able to get skinny & burst through heavy traffic near the interior LOS to make big hits & plays(y).

Last edited:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Joyner needs to play more with his head and less with his heart. He's only mentioned in a bunch of penalties. A fight in scrimmage. If he's just a penalty waiting to happen, he needs to not be playing. I hope he turns it around though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
...I wonder will he(Joyner) play vs the Pack?
I think the only players you will see suit-up for the Rams vs the Packers will be players "On-the-bubble" or " Players we're not going to keep!" Well.... they might have Hekker and Gregg-the-Leg in there for the 1st quarter!:LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
P.S. Josh Forrest has an very unusual talent to be able to get skinny & burst through heavy traffic near the interior LOS to make big hits & plays(y).
Like I say, preseason is where little nuggets are found...Longacre...Fox...and Forrest has really shown up the last 2 weeks...I think Cassanova and Carlos Thompson lit a fire under his ass...Cassanova has fallen off...
Forrest actually is what he's advertised as....a very good coverage linebacker...sneaky pass rusher...and sure tackler..he looks a little better than Littleton to me...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's why I named Joyner....LOLOLOL:ROFLMAO::LOL::rolllaugh:
I wondering if his starting safety post is on life support? Wade might be considering veteran Cody Davis or 2nd yr FS Blake Countess instead. Joyner would be forced back to Nickle & Dime situations.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
On the post-game show with Jim Hill and Jim Everett, Jim Everett pointed out that Rivers' shoulders and head were looking left and LJ bit on the body movement and Rivers threw to his right as Benjamin ran untouched for the the TD.

That play in itself was a savvy move. I think Rivers would have torched all DBs and Safeties and it would not have made any difference whether it was LJ or Cody Davis on that TD to Benjamin.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On the post-game show with Jim Hill and Jim Everett, Jim Everett pointed out that Rivers' shoulders and head were looking left and LJ bit on the body movement and Rivers threw to his right as Benjamin ran untouched for the the TD.

That play in itself was a savvy move. I think Rivers would have torched all DBs and Safeties and it would not have made any difference whether it was LJ or Cody Davis on that TD to Benjamin.
Yes I saw that post game show even down here in the deep south. Rivers is seriously clever & he is vastly underrated & will be until he wins some post season games. But the FS on that play Blake Countess was owned by Rivers LJ does not have any deep speed to keep up with that WR LJ never had it..

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Was it just me, or was the ball coming out of his hand funny. Is that why he kept handing it off, or were they just getting him safe reps.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My only problem with Goff and it's not even him but I wanted to see how he responded to throwing the interceptions, I think McVay should have kept him out there and let him sling it some more

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wade might be considering veteran Cody Davis or 2nd yr FS Blake Countess or Marqui Christian instead
LOL...thought you forgot one on accident...I agree...while I don't care for the Anti-Burfict that is Cody Davis...at least he knows how to use the angles, read the field, and get into position to make a play....We don't know what raw players like Countess and Christian can bring...Isiah Johnson too.

I think Rivers would have torched all DBs and Safeties and it would not have made any difference whether it was LJ or Cody Davis on that TD to Benjamin.
That's why we play the games...No way to tell who makes a play or fumbles it...until you give them a chance to succeed or fail....which is why I'd like to see anyone but Joyner out there. He's not a DB...probably more LB in a little corners body.

Was it just me, or was the ball coming out of his hand funny. Is that why he kept handing it off, or were they just getting him safe reps.
Goff??? It came out funny after the turnover...his next throw over 10 yards looked....terrible. I mean, grown ass man...terrible...That pass to Higbee was off too...which is disappointing because they keep stressing how much those two work together.

fearsomefour

Legend
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/26/16210014/la-rams-la-chargers-recap-winners-losers

The Los Angeles Rams faced off against the Los Angeles Chargers in the #FightforLA. It was not much of a battle for the starters, folks.The Chargers came out of the gates running, while the Rams were caught flat-footed. Even with the less than impressive showing, who caught the eyes of spectators in the loss?

Winners
RB Malcolm Brown
With RB Todd Gurley not suiting up, Brown received the start against the Chargers. With heavy running and the willingness to go through defenders, Brown impressed to the tune of nine carries for 44 yards. He solidified his role as the RB2 to Gurley.Not bad for a former UDFA.

WR Josh Reynolds

The fourth-round pick out of Texas A&M showed out once again this week. After catching the game-winning TD last week against the Oakland Raiders, Reynolds struck again. After taking a vicious hit, Reynolds reeled in a 38-yard TD on a well placed ball from QB Sean Mannion. The rookie took advantage of WR Cooper Kupp’s absence, finishing with three catches for 71 yards and a TD.

WR Pharoh Cooper
Cooper has been having a rock solid training camp and preseason, and continued that tonight. Reeling in five catches for 70 yards, Coop could be carving out a nice little niche for himself.

HC Sean McVay
The youngest coach in NFL history has impressed me through his first three, albeit preseason, games. After falling down 21-0, McVay stayed calm and composed and was able to lead the team back into the game. Another plus is McVay challenged a play and.....wait for it....was able to actually FIND his flag. That is a victory in its own right, as we know head coaches of over 25+ years who struggle with that...

Losers
QB Jared Goff
After impressing last week against the Raiders, Goff got off to a nice start tonight against the Chargers. Looking calm and collected, that all changed on a strip sack from Joey Bosa. The play seemed to rattle Goff as he never seemed to recover, throwing a horrendous INT on the ensuing drive. After showing so much potential last week, tonight was a major step back for the Rams’ QB.

S Lamarcus Joyner
While Joyner didn’t play long, he didn’t look good. Surrounded by backup players, Joyner got absolutely burned by Chargers WR Travis Benjamin for a long TD on the opening drive. As someone many have predicted as a potential breakout player, Joyner MUST improve off of what we saw today.

WR Nelson Spruce
Everyone’s (though not my) favorite receiver may be seeing his Rams career coming to an end. With continued injury problems and limited athletic ability, it’s hard to see how Spruce sticks around. He had a great chance tonight to prove his worth, but wasn’t even dressed. This seems like the end of the line for the fan favorite, barring a miracle.
Williams.
He was solid in pass pro for the most part, I saw one pressure and was largely effective in the running game.
I feel much better with him as a swing T guy.
I would also consider giving him some first team reps at RT. He has been very solid all preseason and seems to be playing with more attack and balance. I have been happy with his progression from the last couple of years.
The Rams top two O lineman depth wise are Williams at T and Blythe inside. Wichmann has been ok run blocking, still has bad lapses pass blocking. I wouldn't mind seeing Blythe and Williams at RG and RT with the rest of the starting like this coming game. Just to see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Williams.
He was solid in pass pro for the most part, I saw one pressure and was largely effective in the running game.
I feel much better with him as a swing T guy.
I would also consider giving him some first team reps at RT. He has been very solid all preseason and seems to be playing with more attack and balance. I have been happy with his progression from the last couple of years.
The Rams top two O lineman depth wise are Williams at T and Blythe inside. Wichmann has been ok run blocking, still has bad lapses pass blocking. I wouldn't mind seeing Blythe and Williams at RG and RT with the rest of the starting like this coming game. Just to see.

If you recall from last season about this same time we were wondering what had happen to DW. His play was worse than Pace Murphy's this pre season. Then DW ended up once again on the IR???I never knew what was up with his injury it was never put out officially. We speculated here that his 2015 mid season injury dislocated wrist with notable soft tissue damage was the reason. I had pretty much written DW off from that point.

Guess it should be included here that in 2016 pre season DW was getting the majority of his plays @ RT. From all that I hve seen from him since he arrived I feel comfortable saying DW is much stronger playing left than right. DW does not have the needed RT size in the NFL or the power on his run blocking to ever be a good relief RT. Now on the flip side his light quick feet & technically sound others makes him a far better reserve LT.

Now I would agree with you that we need to see DW back in HD long period action @ RT in case Andrew Donnal continues slow to recover from that knee injury. Lets hope DW fairs much better now in his 3rd season than his past performance @ RT.