LA Rams-LA Chargers: Five Rams To Watch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LA Rams-LA Chargers: Five Rams To Watch
Aug 25, 2017, 12:34pm CDT
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/25/16202978/la-rams-la-chargers-preview-five-rams-to-watch

The final tuneup for many veteran players around the league is this week, the third preseason game. That’s no different for the Los Angeles Rams as they get set to take on the Los Angeles Chargers in the #FightForLA.Some Rams players still have yet to find their groove, while others are trying to build off good recent performances. Others are in a fight to earn a roster spot. Here are five Rams to watch this Saturday.

QB Jared Goff
Mr. Goff is all the rage right now after his one great game in Oakland. The former 1st overall pick doesn’t look like his 2016 self so far and that’s the greatest news we’ve heard since Jeff Fisher got dunked on. Goff has a chance to build off last week’s game and leave himself, the Rams, and all of the fans riding HIGH into week 1 against a potentially Andrew Luck-less Colts team. I’d like to see him drive more passes down the field in this game.

TE Gerald Everett

The Rams top 2017 draft pick is another young player that flashed last week. His highly touted after the catch ability was on full display last week. This game could give us an early idea on who has the inside edge for the Rams “TE1” spot. Tyler Higbee will remain relevant in the offense but Everett has a chance to widen the gap for primary TE pass targets.

DB John Johnson

Another rookie. Johnson has been listed as a safety throughout the offseason but played exclusively as the slot CB last week. With Nickell Robey-Coleman and Kayvon Webster believed to be sat out, Johnson should have plenty of opportunity at CB this week. He was less than impressive against Oakland in the slot. Great chance for the rookie to display some versatility skills the Rams can use this year.

OT Rob Havenstein

Big Rob has been dragged through the mud for awhile now as one half of the dreaded “right side of the offensive line” but I think he’s gotten a raw deal. Being tied to Jamon Brown or Cody Wichman isn’t great for his brand. Ball and chains aside, he has to perform better than he did last year and early signs are that he’s taking to some new coaching. This week offers a tough test against duo of Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa (two severely underrated players) also trying to gear up for their final meaningful practice game.

LB Cory Littleton

Littleton was the Rams 2016 rookie of the year and is now seemingly on the roster bubble. He’s been active thus far in the preseason and will once again be seeing the lion’s share of reps at MLB this week with Mark Barron still out. I think Littleton is safe in part because of his special teams contributions but its hard to say with a new coaching staff. With competition of Josh Forrest, Bryce Hager and Ejuan Price, Littleton likely needs to prove he has the chops to play LB if needed.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would add Josh Reynolds to that list. I like ability to win contested balls. I hope they plan to use him in the redzone. I'd like to see more him in those situations.

fearsomefour

Legend
Reynolds, Higbee blocking, Blythe.....and Brown of course.
I have been impressed with the young front seven talent the Rams have been playing (Smart ect), want to see if they show up well again.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Add Sammy Watkins to the list, now that he's had his 10 days to learn the offense. Hopefully he shows something as the Rams build toward Sept. 10th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not so sure why BMule has placed all the attention on Havenstein in this article when the blocking of the TE's has been much worse. I would have listed both Higbee & Hemingway as players to watch to see if they could possibly assist with Ingram & Bosa. That would be a much better watch.

I have re watched Cory Littleton's play in both pre season games. Cory had a few bad plays early in Oakland but he settled down & played well. Cory started the Dallas game @ SSOLB'er post then played the inside LB post of Barron. Last season he played both OSLB'er posts in the 43. I see no great need for him to turn it up to show more. I am sure he has made this 53 player roster myself.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I have my own list, ... not that the others mentioned are any less worthy, but we pretty much know who the first stringers are.

1) Lets see Rogers duke it out with Harkey at FB against the Chargers #1's. I'd like to see a more definitive answer on how they compete in both blocking for Gurley and receiving out of the backfield.

2) More Darrell Williams at reserve LT, more Eldrencamp at C, more Blythe at RG & more Murphy at RT. Brown continues to improve. That our O-Line as a whole shows they can consistently open lanes for our RB's.

3) No injuries, so no 1'st team after the first half.

4) Everett & Higbee's in-line blocking.

5) Reynolds, Everett, Higbee & Hemingway as a receiving unit in the red zone.

6) Without Donald & Easley around, I'd like to see the first half play of our starting DE's with fewer substitutions.

7) LB'er is an open call with Quinn, Barron & Ebukam all unavailable, so these reserves' future could be dependent on how well they play vs the Chargers #1's & #2's.

8) Same as with the LB'ers, our CB's without Webster & Robey-Coleman, this becomes an audition for back-ups. Troy Hill better bounce back or he may already be done.

9) Most important of all, Jared Goff proving once more that his play against the Raiders was not a fluke, that his strong development as our 'franchise' QB continues to trend upward, that his vision is as sharp as his accuracy.

10) BEAT THE CHARGERS. Let it not be forgotten that the Rams are L.A.'s team !

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is why I don't want our starters in for the full 3/4's :

RotoWorld

Julian Edelman exited Friday night's third preseason game with a right knee injury.

Edelman came up limping after his third catch on the game's opening drive. He was able to make it to the sideline but had to go into the injury tent before hopping on a cart to the locker room. Edelman was reaching at the back or side of his knee after planting his foot in the turf. He caught three passes for 52 yards on the first series. We'll continue to update the situation.

Aug 25 - 7:17 PM

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What about Blake Countess ?

Petterson & Hatfield with Troy Hill Nick Robey & Webster out . Isahi Kohnson ??

Morgan Fox vs Ejuan Price ?

McKinnzy,& Forrest vs Littleton.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What about Blake Countess ?
Well you asked here's what I have been posting about on him for a long time. In one of my postings listed below it would indicate that this new guy named Wade has the same high valued opinion of him even though he is a little late to be on my Countess bandwagon.:bow:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-risers-and-fallers-raiders-game.50590/page-2#post-930168
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/training-camp-day-1.50254/#post-918246
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...sonnel-roster-presentation.50069/#post-914264
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/2017-rams-roster-preview-center.50018/page-2#post-913812
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/final-53-defense.49987/page-2#post-911785

From what I have watched thus far in the last 2 gms of 2016 & the two pre season gms Blake Countess (BC) has been one of the Rams best DB's on the field. Its my belief that Wade has discovered a wealth @ the Nickle Back position going into the 3rd pre season gm. BC has earned a roster spot as our Nickle or as our starting FS. That's right you read it correctly...:shocking:
Petterson & Hatfield with Troy Hill Nick Robey & Webster out . Isahi Kohnson ??.
Peterson & Hill saw time as the Rams boundary CB's last wk. Hill played for most of the entire Oakland gm. Troy has problems much like last season. So did Hatfield with Peterson holding up much better.Aarion Penton has been MIA?. Now Strong Safety Isaiah Johnson is competing with SS Marqui Christian & both have had their moments. Not sure neither of these 2 will win a roster spot though. But the overall SS play in the 1st two PS gms was poor.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the O-Line plays like it did against the Raiders we'll be just fine!(y);):D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If the O-Line plays like it did against the Raiders we'll be just fine!(y);):D

My thoughts have been The Rams go lesson 53 man roster with Offensive Lineman.
It even makes more sense now. My guess is Andrew Donnal will go on the pup list. Then whoever was on the bubble makes it for that spot.
Then The Rams pack a couple on the practice squad that Kromer will help develop, & knowing McVays concepts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well you asked here's what I have been posting about on him for a long time. In one of my postings listed below it would indicate that this new guy named Wade has the same high valued opinion of him even though he is a little late to be on my Countess bandwagon.:bow:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-risers-and-fallers-raiders-game.50590/page-2#post-930168
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/training-camp-day-1.50254/#post-918246
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...sonnel-roster-presentation.50069/#post-914264
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/2017-rams-roster-preview-center.50018/page-2#post-913812
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/final-53-defense.49987/page-2#post-911785

From what I have watched thus far in the last 2 gms of 2016 & the two pre season gms Blake Countess (BC) has been one of the Rams best DB's on the field. Its my belief that Wade has discovered a wealth @ the Nickle Back position going into the 3rd pre season gm. BC has earned a roster spot as our Nickle or as our starting FS. That's right you read it correctly...:shocking:
Peterson & Hill saw time as the Rams boundary CB's last wk. Hill played for most of the entire Oakland gm. Troy has problems much like last season. So did Hatfield with Peterson holding up much better.Aarion Penton has been MIA?. Now Strong Safety Isaiah Johnson is competing with SS Marqui Christian & both have had their moments. Not sure neither of these 2 will win a roster spot though. But the overall SS play in the 1st two PS gms was poor.

John Johnson made a great play last week hold the edge like a big DE with 3 O'lineman coming at him , plus he even made the tackle.

MChrist ?? Not that high on , I don't see him making the 53.

Nickell Robey is the starting Nickel CB even if it is just for name sake .

He got banged up & proved his value already throughout TC . Joyner IMO needs to step up.

-- Like you already know 84, 59,24 & 38 are core special team players. Add 46.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1) Goff. The raider defense is nothing special. I want to see Goff take command of the Kupp-less offense and still get it done. More TE targets? I would like that.
2) Watkins. More targets downfield. For that matter, same goes for Reynolds.
3) Johnson, but at FS. In fact, I want to see everybody/anybody play solid because I am not sold on Joyner back there and he's gonna knock himself out a couple of times this season.
4) the OL. Again, the raider defense wasn't as challenging as the charger defense will be tonight.
5) who will start for Donald opening day. How good is this guy gonna be?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I would add Josh Reynolds to that list. I like ability to win contested balls. I hope they plan to use him in the redzone. I'd like to see more him in those situations.

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Reynolds-Encouraged-by-NFL-Debut/36ec7a8a-e7b6-4a67-baa6-537ac992d3fc

Reynolds Encouraged by NFL Debut
Kristen Lago/Rams Writer/Reporter

Trailing by four with 1:16 remaining on the clock, quarterback Sean Mannion dropped back and delivered a 20-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Josh Reynolds. In what proved to be the difference-maker of the Rams’ 24-21 win over the Raiders, Reynolds hauled in his first NFL catch.

“It definitely is a motivational kind of thing knowing that you come in for your first NFL game, something you have always dreamed about, and you score. It’s crazy,” he said.

Reynolds, the fourth-round draft pick out of Texas A&M caught 164 passes for 2,788 yards and 30 touchdowns in three seasons as an Aggie. He was brought onto the Rams in the hopes of providing the team with both a red-zone and vertical threat.

But just a few days into training camp, things took turn for the young receiver. He was sidelined for the majority of the team’s sessions at UC Irvine and the first preseason game against the Cowboys with a quad injury.

“It’s a mental struggle and it’s not something you’re used to,” Reynolds said. “So, you come in here and you’re the new guy, the rookie, and you still have something to prove — getting hurt and then not being able to practice, it’s discouraging. You pretty much have to be tough mentally and just know you’re a pro.”

And that’s exactly what he did, quickly putting his injury behind him and making use of the time he did have left in camp. On his first day back on field, the receiver put on a show for fans and coaches alike, grabbing passes off the deep routes and in the red zone, and hauling in contested balls in traffic.

When asked whether he expected to bounce back as quickly and forcibly as he did, Reynolds laughed, saying, “Oh, definitely, that was my mindset all along.”

“I was thinking ‘Nobody is expecting me for like a week and a half or two weeks, so I gotta get my name talked about,’ he added. “And that’s what I did. I'm proud of myself and just want to continue to try to elevate my game.”

Though the Rams have a deep and diverse receiving corps, Reynolds believes he brings something special to the table — his size. And in Saturday’s win over the Raiders, the receiver’s capabilities were on full display.

“Being one of the tallest receivers, I definitely bring my height and my length,” he said. “That’s one of the things that led me to the score in the game and them putting trust in me. With my height and my playmaking abilities, I’m able to stretch the field and go up for those 50-50 balls.”

This weekend, Reynolds will get his first opportunity to play in the Coliseum against the Chargers. He should provide the Rams with yet another offensive weapon to go alongside wide receivers Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods and others.

“I’m definitely trying to make some plays,” Reynolds said. “I’m trying to be that versatile receiver and I’m getting there, so I’ll be able to bring more to the table as time goes on. But when the ball is thrown my way, I’m trying to catch everything and just help the team win. There is nothing better than winning.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
John Johnson made a great play last week hold the edge like a big DE with 3 O'lineman coming at him , plus he even made the tackle.
MChrist ?? Not that high on , I don't see him making the 53.
Nickell Robey is the starting Nickel CB even if it is just for name sake .
He got banged up & proved his value already throughout TC . Joyner IMO needs to step up- Like you already know 84, 59,24 & 38 are core special team players. Add 46.

I probably tend to agree with your SS Marqui Christian assessment thus far.... but this latest article authored by By Rich Hammond says that SS Marqui Christian has sealed the deal & already earned a roster spot :headexplosion::confused:.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/25/from-90-to-53-heres-the-math-on-the-rams-roster-situation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

However I have no real ideal who is the main back up to Mo Alexander????? Because Cody Davis, Johnson Johnson & Blake Countess are not "in the box" safeties types. Now dinky Lamarcus Joyner can pinch hit @ Strong Safety if there was a need. LJ does need to have a good game tonight to remove those big questions here in ROD land about his secure free safety starting post & yes he has caused us some of this questioning @LACHAMP46 .

On NRC absolutely no need for him to be playing the Nickle however there is a H U G E need for NRC to either start or be the 3rd outside corner.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This is why I don't want our starters in for the full 3/4's :

RotoWorld

Julian Edelman exited Friday night's third preseason game with a right knee injury.

Edelman came up limping after his third catch on the game's opening drive. He was able to make it to the sideline but had to go into the injury tent before hopping on a cart to the locker room. Edelman was reaching at the back or side of his knee after planting his foot in the turf. He caught three passes for 52 yards on the first series. We'll continue to update the situation.

Aug 25 - 7:17 PM
I think the little to no contact injures are probably going to happen to the players that have them no matter when they play. There is a weakness that probably developed at some earlier point in the acl and it is just waiting to raise its ugly head. Edelman was a dead man walking and nobody could know it. So if it happened in the preseason or early in the regular season, not sure it matters much. The injury that comes from a hit, not the same. Just a wild ass theory I have.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I want to see if McVay fields a motivated team week in, week out. I have little doubt he will.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
For me i'd like to see more of:
Josh Forrest (is he injured?)
Countess ( he had a few "Daaaaaaammn" moments against the Raiders).
Reynolds
Spruce
Smart
Justin Davis (let this man play the whole game,we may have found trey watts 2.0. Minus the weed).
Mannion

Jk about the Mannion.:fuelfire:

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I probably tend to agree with your SS Marqui Christian assessment thus far.... but this latest article authored by By Rich Hammond says that SS Marqui Christian has sealed the deal & already earned a roster spot :headexplosion::confused:.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/25/from-90-to-53-heres-the-math-on-the-rams-roster-situation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

However I have no real ideal who is the main back up to Mo Alexander????? Because Cody Davis, Johnson Johnson & Blake Countess are not "in the box" safeties types. Now dinky Lamarcus Joyner can pinch hit @ Strong Safety if there was a need. LJ does need to have a good game tonight to remove those big questions here in ROD land about his secure free safety starting post & yes he has caused us some of this questioning @LACHAMP46 .

On NRC absolutely no need for him to be playing the Nickle however there is a H U G E need for NRC to either start or be the 3rd outside corner.

Well your going to go with M Christ over Countess ?? Will see in. Few hours. Just don't see it that way , but then again was watching the offense a little more in depth. M. Christ has not stood out to me.

Troy Hill will miss time , so that helps The Rams find another player to keep on the roster week 1 .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well your going to go with M Christ over Countess ?? Will see in. Few hours. Just don't see it that way , but then again was watching the offense a little more in depth. M. Christ has not stood out to me.

Troy Hill will miss time , so that helps The Rams find another player to keep on the roster week 1 .
No I was pointing out a recent article where a known sports wrtiier did.

No way I would go with SS Marqui Christian over FS/Nickle Blake Countess.