LA Champs observations on 8-17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thanks for the post @LACHAMP46.

I'll say this re: the offense and Goff and the QBs at large... It's hard to say what the staff has them doing when you watch some of these scrimmages and that I think can cause some confusion. I know early on in camp the staff had them running only the short yardage installs and everyone was talking about our new dink and dunk offense but the next week the snaps I saw had the QBs opened up on the deeper stuff and this was where Keenum looked to be at a disadvantage. He is definitely more comfortable dishing it quick in everything I've seen, from camp to the snaps he got in game last year. Goff, meanwhile, seems to prefer going down the field but in many of the snaps in camp would not have had time for some of the throws he completed.

I heard that was the case on the long one he completed that day. And tbh I suspect the overall work in the short game is due to the Chiefs and the Rams staff knowing they have their work cut out with a playoff caliber defense Saturday.

As to the receivers I am effing OVER the whole camp production thing. It's time to see which of these guys can step up in a game environment in the pattern and on special teams, and those are the guys who will fill the roster. I want to see guys in horns that can catch the ball when it matters, not being "All Earth City" like Cook used to be, only to play like an effin turd come Sunday. So I really hope more of these kids realize this is their time and show the F up, because IMO this WR group is as wide open as you can hope for as a young WR trying to make an NFL team.

And last but not least the defense... Not too worried, mind you, but I really don't want to see the Chiefs be the second team in consecutive weeks to run all over our first team in front of the home crowd. So really hope that they're gonna be a little more amped up and ready to throw that switch.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This has been a really puzzling turnaround on Cooper.

He was the talk of the town in OTAs and early camp.
I wouldn't say he lacks in skills...But the game, during contact, is a lil too fast/big for him. Certain guys look like they are....aware of the contact...he still is a shifty kinda guy. But IMO, nothing like Thomas...that dude can play.

Not too worried, mind you, but I really don't want to see the Chiefs be the second team in consecutive weeks to run all over our first team in front of the home crowd.
You bring up good points. the offense is hard to figure...I understand the quick passing concept, but shouldn't you try to develop timing & rhythm with the intermediate & deep passes as well?
As far as the defense is concerned, I'm almost 100% sure that they use games to fine tune things that they will NEVER do in practice. Much like a lot of teams never ran kickoff live (I did), they don't hit full speed until games...So tackling & run defense probably isn't going to be sharp until several games. For a good reason. Health. I'm pretty sure Tru Johnson...a HUGE corner...is NOT going full speed during practice...Look at his coverage during that Dallas game. He's saving it all for his contract year....He'll pick it up then...and probably ball out. So guys are going hard...The ones that have to really worry about being cut or benched. Some guys are making "business decisions" in camp...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
About time you did something useful around here Champ!!!! Great job!! Cant wait for next weeks report(s)!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You bring up good points. the offense is hard to figure...I understand the quick passing concept, but shouldn't you try to develop timing & rhythm with the intermediate & deep passes as well?

Yes they should. And as a matter of fact please excuse a rant of sorts on this type of thing...

I listen to Arians in interviews and he talks about their philosophy in going for the throat. They practice the F out of the intermediate to deep passing in camp and guess what? They do it well. And yes, they have the pieces to do it, but it goes back to the philosophy driving everything from acquisition of talent through what they practice in camp.

Listened to Carroll today on the radio and guess what? You guessed it. He discussed their philosophy on offense and defense and how they live and die by it. It's different from that of the Cards but it's the same deal where that philosophy drives everything. They draft big DBs and develop them, and he talked up a kid who had an INT and big special teams impact in his first preseason game.

Then I look at the Rams. Well, Fish is a run-centric coach right? Only he isn't. Not statistically, at least here as Rams head coach. Maybe he's a big play coach then? But he had the league's worst offense last year and they struggled to put up points. Well at least he's a defensive head coach and can field a great defense. But even though he's stacked the defense with size and speed it hasn't cracked the top ten yet.

Ok so I love Fisher and I'm rootin for the dude to get it done this year. I'm bein a little facetious here. But he never has come out and really said what his offensive philosophy is. He doesn't offer anything really, and nobody ever calls him on it, even now that he's obviously redesigned the system and they're back in LA and he still hasn't said squat about what their offensive philosophy is outside of the obvious use of Gurley. And granted right now I give him credit for goin all in on Goff, but is this staff good enough to get the most out of this kid?

And this is where I might be an insane person: I am well on the way to convincing myself that we will see a better offense this season. That Fish has the right guys in charge of the offense now. But what did I see last Saturday? A proven offensive staff in Dallas that had a 4th round QB ready to rock and roll, clearly with a well schemed attack for the Rams defense. And a Dallas defense that looked better than our defense with a bunch of guys who would be special teamers on our roster.

So I agree with you man. I honestly don't know WTF to expect this year. Well, I do expect wins and playoffs, but I don't know how realistic any of that is, which is why I'm hoping to see the kinds of signs of life, i.e. the type of trend we saw in the '99 preseason, where we will have a good feel that there will be improvement. Hoping this upcoming KC game provides some of that.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Another excellent camp scouting report from our ROD crew.. Thanks for your time and posting the details.

You can pat yourself on the back LACHAMP.. A real fine job (y)

Billy-D_Approves.gif

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
#LACHAMP46, Hey I was there, didn't you see me?

I'm working on my report and to honest, I saw things differently. Not a lot different but some things.

I'll get it posted later tonight and we can compare notes.

One thing of interest you noted was Marquez North did well. I think you got him mixed up with Bradley Marquez. North is #3, Marquez is 15. I did not even see #3 on the field and I took a ton of pics and he isn't in any of them. Bradley Marquez was the WR who was wide open during 7x7 due to blown coverage by E.J.

Later Brother,

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm pretty sure that Fish said they would be installing through Thursday. Maybe start diving in the Chiefs Thursday (today) evening.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
#LACHAMP46, Hey I was there, didn't you see me?

I'm working on my report and to honest, I saw things differently. Not a lot different but some things.

I'll get it posted later tonight and we can compare notes.

One thing of interest you noted was Marquez North did well. I think you got him mixed up with Bradley Marquez. North is #3, Marquez is 15. I did not even see #3 on the field and I took a ton of pics and he isn't in any of them. Bradley Marquez was the WR who was wide open during 7x7 due to blown coverage by E.J.

Later Brother,
I'm getting on my bike with flat tire.Will be at camp in 15 min

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
folks have to keep in mind how bad the Rams were 4 years ago, and all the draft picks they had to use, first to build up the defense, and then last year to build an OL. This draft they got a QB, TE"S and some WR's. They are the youngest twam in the NFL again for like the 4th year in a row. It takes time to go from where the Rams were at to making the playoffs. Things are looking better, more talented roster, they need to put it together and once they see how the players gel together they can shape their offensive philosophy better. They already have a good idea of their running game with Austin Gurley amd Brown.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They draft big DBs and develop them, and he talked up a kid who had an INT and big special teams impact in his first preseason game.
think he's talking about Tyvis Powell...udfa pickup from the Ohio State....I loved his.....measurables.....lol

And granted right now I give him credit for goin all in on Goff, but is this staff good enough to get the most out of this kid?
yep....thought the same thing...defense didn't have anything, yet 2 three and outs by the first string offense...4th round QB looking better than our returning starter...check how we started the first drives vs Dallas...the pass...that's the same pass we did in 11 on 11's in practice...TE, 5 yards...over and over....
Who's staff looks the best? Look around the league...you'll see the offenses we should be trying to look like...

One thing of interest you noted was Marquez North did well. I think you got him mixed up with Bradley Marquez. North is #3,
# 3 is North...he didn't get in any scrimmaging that I saw, he only ran routes vs db's...1 on 1's....I didn't comment on the 7 on 7 drill(because I didn't really see it)...only 11 on 11...and the 1 on 1....In fact, the one deep pass...I heard the crowd, but didn't see anything but a player, maybe Marquez, running in the endzone...from a pass by Goff....I was probably getting that lemon iced drink, cause I was sweating like a hog...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
think he's talking about Tyvis Powell...udfa pickup from the Ohio State....I loved his.....measurables.....lol

yep....thought the same thing...defense didn't have anything, yet 2 three and outs by the first string offense...4th round QB looking better than our returning starter...check how we started the first drives vs Dallas...the pass...that's the same pass we did in 11 on 11's in practice...TE, 5 yards...over and over....
Who's staff looks the best? Look around the league...you'll see the offenses we should be trying to look like...

# 3 is North...he didn't get in any scrimmaging that I saw, he only ran routes vs db's...1 on 1's....I didn't comment on the 7 on 7 drill(because I didn't really see it)...only 11 on 11...and the 1 on 1....In fact, the one deep pass...I heard the crowd, but didn't see anything but a player, maybe Marquez, running in the endzone...from a pass by Goff....I was probably getting that lemon iced drink, cause I was sweating like a hog...

I went yesterday .
*** Bradley Marquis looked head over heals better than last week !! He was playing at game speed.I gave him crap last week.What an improvement. He goes over the middle well on slants & then hits another gear.
** Pahoroh -Fisher talks highly about made only or 2 plays.
Kenny Britt made a move on Tru to score.At the same time a Ram fan & I said come on Tru !!
*** Rob Havenstien is biting at the bit to get in. He looks tolled as well.Been hitting the weight room for sure.He is a plug & play guy for sure.
Saffold looks heavy,but is out there hustling.
---- I was giving Kush a bunch of crap after 2 bad snaps.He & coaches heard it.
Later in practice there was another bad snap,& I could not make out who it was that snapped it. I saw 60 in there and started at him a little.I was going to give him another dose of it . He was not at center :-( .He was at RG & of all players Andrew Donnall 64 was at center.

---- # 64 Andrew Donnall looks like a total different player !! He is playing a little center & can play postition in total desperation .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
great write up. Very interesting take on Britt and his swagger. Add a new question mark to Cooper.

Britt was wearing gold shorts. He is a DEVA !! His game has stepped up. He put a move on Tru that was sick. Tru was dogging it but Britt has some serious power & quickness when his mind is right.
I think that is why he gets so open on deep balls.If your not right up on Britt then your done.Then he has that speed to blow by you if your cheating.
EJ Gaines the day he hurt himself was playing Britt very well.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Yes they should. And as a matter of fact please excuse a rant of sorts on this type of thing...

I listen to Arians in interviews and he talks about their philosophy in going for the throat. They practice the F out of the intermediate to deep passing in camp and guess what? They do it well. And yes, they have the pieces to do it, but it goes back to the philosophy driving everything from acquisition of talent through what they practice in camp.

Listened to Carroll today on the radio and guess what? You guessed it. He discussed their philosophy on offense and defense and how they live and die by it. It's different from that of the Cards but it's the same deal where that philosophy drives everything. They draft big DBs and develop them, and he talked up a kid who had an INT and big special teams impact in his first preseason game.

Then I look at the Rams. Well, Fish is a run-centric coach right? Only he isn't. Not statistically, at least here as Rams head coach. Maybe he's a big play coach then? But he had the league's worst offense last year and they struggled to put up points. Well at least he's a defensive head coach and can field a great defense. But even though he's stacked the defense with size and speed it hasn't cracked the top ten yet.

Ok so I love Fisher and I'm rootin for the dude to get it done this year. I'm bein a little facetious here. But he never has come out and really said what his offensive philosophy is. He doesn't offer anything really, and nobody ever calls him on it, even now that he's obviously redesigned the system and they're back in LA and he still hasn't said squat about what their offensive philosophy is outside of the obvious use of Gurley. And granted right now I give him credit for goin all in on Goff, but is this staff good enough to get the most out of this kid?

And this is where I might be an insane person: I am well on the way to convincing myself that we will see a better offense this season. That Fish has the right guys in charge of the offense now. But what did I see last Saturday? A proven offensive staff in Dallas that had a 4th round QB ready to rock and roll, clearly with a well schemed attack for the Rams defense. And a Dallas defense that looked better than our defense with a bunch of guys who would be special teamers on our roster.

So I agree with you man. I honestly don't know WTF to expect this year. Well, I do expect wins and playoffs, but I don't know how realistic any of that is, which is why I'm hoping to see the kinds of signs of life, i.e. the type of trend we saw in the '99 preseason, where we will have a good feel that there will be improvement. Hoping this upcoming KC game provides some of that.

Fisher's philosophy is ball control with a dominant running game. He seeks to take what the defense gives which is why Groh was hired.

And for all the love of Pete and Bruce...DIDNT THE RAMS START LAST SEASON WITH WINS AGAINST THE HAWKS AND CARDS LAST YEAR??? Perhaps, AS LONG AS THE OLINE STAYS HEALTHY, Fisher's tactics of not revealing too much in the pre season just might have some value.

Finally, WHO GAMEPLANS the first pre season game? Fisher NEVER has and we should have neither been surprised nor disappointed last week.