(LA @ ARZ) Little Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Aulac

UDFA
Name
Smileless
I don't really make post after a game cause I really want to take the time to analyzed and to think clearly. I like to spend some time looking into the little details about each game win or lose. Since I'm a new member, I plan on staring this thread after every game. I think it give ways for conversations and to allow you guys to chime in as well. So without further ado let begin shall we...

Matt Gay:
Matt Gay has trouble making field goals 40 yards or under. If you notice his 37 yards field goal miss, had that been 38 yards or more, it would have went through the upright. Now if we take a look at the bigger picture, if that was from 50+ yards, it would have been close to the center of the upright, the trajectory was slowly moving toward the center. Most kickers have trouble kicking long field goals, Matt Gay seem to be the opposite. I hope McVay paid attention because I was actually hoping we didn't move the ball closer to our goal line. That something to be aware off moving forward. Gay need to work on it and if he can get his touch corrected, he could be an elite kicker in the NFL.

Jared Goff:
Jared Goff was impressive today and not because he had a flawless game in regards to turnovers. Jared Goff was going through multiple reads on almost every play. You can see his head turn multiple times and often back and forth and knew exactly where his safety outlet was. Its important to note that his safety outlet was his last option instead of his first option. When Goff can see the whole field, its a thing of beauty.

Another point I want to mention is how Goff was one step faster than the pass rush. There were quite a few plays where if he had hold onto the ball a little bit longer, it could have been strip sack. I remember a particular play where a pass rusher manage to get into the backfield and Goff did not see him but I think he felt him and threw the ball out in time to a receiver. If Goff can see the field, read the blitz, have pocket awareness, and limit turnovers, we could actually go all the way this year.

This thread is for details you notices that isn't as talked about so I would love to hear what observations you noticed (good or bad) and if you want to add anything to what I wrote or your thoughts on the thread overall. Look forward to your comments!

#Ramson3

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My take was how The Team Unity stuck out. Malcom Brown knows he is lossing a lot of snaps & carries.

Jared Goff’s play was ok? The Rams offense is still off & no one is calling for one of my observations. Been holding out calling him out,but after Thursday I’ll know better about the situation.

Biggest take on Jared Goff is 1, his leadership. When his head goes down the Rams spirits go down as well.
2.Jared is TOUGH.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't agree with your take on Gay. All Kickers miss kicks. I personally don't worry much when Gay is kicking. It feels like we have a pro kicker again.

oldnotdead

Legend
Brown has become a situational RB. That is not to say less important. He's still the best pass blocking RB they have and is their grinder for tough yards, particularly inside. McVay said in interviews that he needed to get Akers up to speed for the stretch run. He's been behind the other two due to injuries and as a rookie. This game was his "coming out" and showed he's up to speed.

Both Akers and Henderson have breakaway speed as shown by Henderson on Sunday. Akers is a tad faster, but Henderson is fast enough to exploit an opportunity as evidenced that the AZ secondary wasn't able to close on him without an angle. Henderson displayed good acceleration despite an early hip injury.

I think people make too much of any single game in terms of snap count. The season is a long grind. Having 2 RBs with similar skill sets is a huge advantage in depth. Should one go down the other picks up without a dropoff.

I don't really make post after a game cause I really want to take the time to analyzed and to think clearly. I like to spend some time looking into the little details about each game win or lose. Since I'm a new member, I plan on staring this thread after every game. I think it give ways for conversations and to allow you guys to chime in as well. So without further ado let begin shall we...

Matt Gay:
Matt Gay has trouble making field goals 40 yards or under. If you notice his 37 yards field goal miss, had that been 38 yards or more, it would have went through the upright. Now if we take a look at the bigger picture, if that was from 50+ yards, it would have been close to the center of the upright, the trajectory was slowly moving toward the center. Most kickers have trouble kicking long field goals, Matt Gay seem to be the opposite. I hope McVay paid attention because I was actually hoping we didn't move the ball closer to our goal line. That something to be aware off moving forward. Gay need to work on it and if he can get his touch corrected, he could be an elite kicker in the NFL.

Jared Goff:
Jared Goff was impressive today and not because he had a flawless game in regards to turnovers. Jared Goff was going through multiple reads on almost every play. You can see his head turn multiple times and often back and forth and knew exactly where his safety outlet was. Its important to note that his safety outlet was his last option instead of his first option. When Goff can see the whole field, its a thing of beauty.

Another point I want to mention is how Goff was one step faster than the pass rush. There were quite a few plays where if he had hold onto the ball a little bit longer, it could have been strip sack. I remember a particular play where a pass rusher manage to get into the backfield and Goff did not see him but I think he felt him and threw the ball out in time to a receiver. If Goff can see the field, read the blitz, have pocket awareness, and limit turnovers, we could actually go all the way this year.

This thread is for details you notices that isn't as talked about so I would love to hear what observations you noticed (good or bad) and if you want to add anything to what I wrote or your thoughts on the thread overall. Look forward to your comments!

#Ramson3

Great points, and I agree about the multiple reads - if he can continue to do this, it would be a huge next step. There were a few plays that stuck out to me in this regard - I tried to insert the YouTube link at the time of the play - not sure if it's going to work :) - click the small link next to the video instead of the video itself

1. Here's a play where he looked first at Akers, then you could see him turn to Kupp and fire a good throw. Kupp actually had better separation so it was a great decision:

View: https://youtu.be/VUn9qdWJfcM?t=124

2. This throw really caught my eye - he looks first to his right at Higbee, and he's well covered. His next read is Reynolds, and he puts the throw in the perfect spot, between 3 defenders and leading Reynolds - to my (untrained) eye, it was an elite throw (and great catch also):

View: https://youtu.be/VUn9qdWJfcM?t=160

If he can continue to play like this, the sky's the limit for Goff. The only thing I wish he could develop is a pump fake - that's the best way to get aggressive defenders to lean, and open up even more throws. But overall, great game by Goff!

Last edited:

Aulac

UDFA
Name
Smileless
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't agree with your take on Gay. All Kickers miss kicks. I personally don't worry much when Gay is kicking. It feels like we have a pro kicker again.

I'm not worry about Gay either but missing 40 yarders and under is the reason the Buccaneers released him. If you look at his rookie year, he was perfect from 50+ yards and his longest kick was 58 yards. If you look at someone like Hotrod Blankenship, as good as he his, he doesn't have the leg strength for 50+ yards. It far easier to fix someone who have trouble making short field goals to long field goals. I'm happy with Gay but until he fixes his touch, he better off kicking long field goals. And you're right that every kickers missed kick but it usually a mix of short and long field goal. Gay has been perfect from 50+ and out so that is somewhat of an anomaly.

Cromwell

All Pro 21
Name
Tom
Also I think the dude has only missed two FGs and made five while just being thrown into his now 3 game trial by fire on the Rams, and hasn't missed an extra point at all which nullifies the short kick theory on Gay.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Jared Goff:

You nailed it!!

Maybe you are referring to a play where Goff was criticized for getting the ball out to a receiver in the flat instead of going to Kupp who was breaking open late. But a defender had already broken through the oline, forcing Goff to step up, and was threatening him from behind on his throwing arm side from a blind spot. Another split second and maybe Goff could have hit Kupp--- or it could have been a strip sack and fumble. We can't have it both ways-- criticizing Goff for sacks and fumbles, but then expecting him to wait to hit receivers downfield late in the play.

I liked Goff's choices in this game. I liked the completions to the RBs a lot. Right now we are a possession offense, and Goff played it as such.

If we want more deep plays, we need faster receivers (Jefferson?), better pass blocking, or a better and more emphasized running game to set up better play action.

Not sure we have the personnel to be a big play offense right now. Our best chance imo likely comes from Akers and Henderson both being healthy at the same time and being serious threats both in the running game and out of the backfield as receivers. Everett is stepping up now, and that helps a lot, but we also really need Higbee to get healthy.

I will settle at the moment for a great D and a clock eating, chain moving, short pass, possession offense.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Great points, and I agree about the multiple reads - if he can continue to do this, it would be a huge next step. There were a few plays that stuck out to me in this regard - I tried to insert the YouTube link at the time of the play - not sure if it's going to work :) - click the small link next to the video instead of the video itself

1. Here's a play where he looked first at Akers, then you could see him turn to Kupp and fire a good throw. Kupp actually had better separation so it was a great decision:

View: https://youtu.be/VUn9qdWJfcM?t=124

2. This throw really caught my eye - he looks first to his right at Higbee, and he's well covered. His next read is Reynolds, and he puts the throw in the perfect spot, between 3 defenders and leading Reynolds - to my (untrained) eye, it was an elite throw (and great catch also):

View: https://youtu.be/VUn9qdWJfcM?t=160

If he can continue to play like this, the sky's the limit for Goff. The only thing I wish he could develop is a pump fake - that's the best way to get aggressive defenders to lean, and open up even more throws. But overall, great game by Goff!

I was thinking the same thing during the game. A pump fake can be a great weapon for a QB. It used to be more common years ago but we really don't see pump fakes too often by any QB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is the test coming up. When Goff is in control and can make all of his reads he's money. But against this Patriots defense he is lacking the speed receiver in Cooks, while their defense hasn't changed much. If he stays composed and McVay has a good plan with more than one scheme in place they can win this game over a weak Pats offense.

A repeat performance of the Cards game would be a huge confidence builder for Goff, the team and the doubters.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Harped on this last week, but I'm still disturbed by our run blocking. We were getting stuffed for the third game in a row until their D was forced to open up due to the game circumstance. I really hope Kromer is on this, because something has stalled out compared to earlier in the year.

(Somebody here mentioned a "tell" in Boom's stance during the game thread, and an announcer was all over our tells from our OL stances in one game a while back....)

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Regarding Matt Gay, I wonder if we will start lining kicks up on the right hash under 40 yards. If memory serves his kicks hook in from the left.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
This is the test coming up. When Goff is in control and can make all of his reads he's money. But against this Patriots defense he is lacking the speed receiver in Cooks, while their defense hasn't changed much. If he stays composed and McVay has a good plan with more than one scheme in place they can win this game over a weak Pats offense.

A repeat performance of the Cards game would be a huge confidence builder for Goff, the team and the doubters.

I hope McVay schemes up effective runs. New England has been middle of the pack against the run. I don't think we want to pass the ball 47 times against them. If we are too predictable in passing at some point they will have blitz and outlet coverage combinations dialed up that will work, as Miami did.

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Matt Gay:

Jared Goff:

#Ramson3

Jared had some impressive throws. His accuracy, sliding the ball into tight coverage was
very impressive at times

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I did notice Goff was making more reads and surveying the field, glad you called that out because I forgot all about it. And I agree, seemed a little ahead of the pass rushers this time.

Not sure what happened or of he finally woke up or what, but it was a nice change.

Aulac

UDFA
Name
Smileless
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You nailed it!!

Maybe you are referring to a play where Goff was criticized for getting the ball out to a receiver in the flat instead of going to Kupp who was breaking open late. But a defender had already broken through the oline, forcing Goff to step up, and was threatening him from behind on his throwing arm side from a blind spot. Another split second and maybe Goff could have hit Kupp--- or it could have been a strip sack and fumble. We can't have it both ways-- criticizing Goff for sacks and fumbles, but then expecting him to wait to hit receivers downfield late in the play.

I liked Goff's choices in this game. I liked the completions to the RBs a lot. Right now we are a possession offense, and Goff played it as such.

If we want more deep plays, we need faster receivers (Jefferson?), better pass blocking, or a better and more emphasized running game to set up better play action.

Not sure we have the personnel to be a big play offense right now. Our best chance imo likely comes from Akers and Henderson both being healthy at the same time and being serious threats both in the running game and out of the backfield as receivers. Everett is stepping up now, and that helps a lot, but we also really need Higbee to get healthy.

I will settle at the moment for a great D and a clock eating, chain moving, short pass, possession offense.

I wanted to replied back to you earlier but I couldn't find the play that I was talking about. Both Jared Goff NFL highlight and the game highlight did not show the play I was talking about probably because it was either incomplete or gain less than 5 yards. I been trying to look for it but I can't find it. It kind of frustrated me because it show Goff is slowly learning to feel pressure.

The play that I'm referring to is not the play to Kupp as it happen on the other side of the field (when you switch quarter). So the Rams offense is on the left instead of the right of the TV display so opposite of Kupp play. Goff let go off the ball slighty before Budda Baker could hit him from the left/south position. Had Budda Baker (I think that who it was) hit him, it could potentially result in a strip fumble.

As for the Kupp play, I rewatched that replay multiple time and concluded that when Goff's released the ball, Kupp did not get separation yet. I know the announcers said Goff's could have hit Kupp but they don't have the benefit of replay. I thought Goff did extremely well on that play just to get the first down and extend the play which eventually end up being a touchdown while grinding ARZ defense down further!

I'm not sure Jefferson is our burner either because a 4.46 speed is still not consider game breaking. Just compare Jefferson speed to that off Will Fuller and its not even close. Todd Gurley ran a 4.34 for comparison. Every second matter when it come to outrunning your defenders.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I said it before and will say it again, our run blocking isn't clicking! Tonights game will go along way to answer my concerns. If we can prove it tonight I'm going streakin' LMAO

giphy.gif